Another personal appearance question

That's interesting about eyelash extensions helping block out light. I have pretty sensitive eyes, my eye doctor said I have large pupils so it lets in more light. Even fluorescent lights bother me at stores (Walmart!) or the classroom. I might have to look into those.

I'm not sure who mentioned this but this was not my experience. I have extremely photo sensitive eyes probably and look a bit off in some of the conditions I wear sunglasses in lol. Eyelash extensions didn't help this one bit so YMMV.

Also if you have sensitive (not just to light) eyes I'd recommend against it. The adhesive they use is pretty strong stuff. I would wake up looking like I had conjunctivitis >.<

My natural eyelashes are blonde, and pretty short. The thickening fringe of the black extensions act as a 'sun visor', shading and absorbing light. The woman who does my lashes is an expert - the glue does not touch my eyelids - and I've never had a reaction. Some friends of mine go to other salons that are cheaper to get theirs done - they've had bad reactions, including styes and a reaction to too much glue being used. I have extremely sensitive eyelids (the rapidlash does bother them, so I use it sparingly) and the lashes have never bothered me. You just have to find someone who takes the time to do it right.

A lot of my female family members and I have wondered about stuff like Latisse and other eyelash strengthening/lengthening stuff but I know a few people with colored eyes and it darkened/browned their colored eyes. Well ALL of the women in my immediate have colored eyes and we don't want that to change.

My MIL has glaucoma and the medicine she uses is the one they put in Latisse. It has not changed her eye color at all. They are still light blue, and she has been using the med for years. My eyes are green/hazel/gold and there's not a speck of brown, even after using the above for over 2 years. I'd welcome darker irises, as they absorb more light. To be honest, I don't care how I look, it's all about being able to work and not have a blinding headache day after day.

My natural eyelashes are blonde, and pretty short. The thickening fringe of the black extensions act as a 'sun visor', shading and absorbing light. The woman who does my lashes is an expert - the glue does not touch my eyelids - and I've never had a reaction. Some friends of mine go to other salons that are cheaper to get theirs done - they've had bad reactions, including styes and a reaction to too much glue being used. I have extremely sensitive eyelids (the rapidlash does bother them, so I use it sparingly) and the lashes have never bothered me. You just have to find someone who takes the time to do it right.

That's great that it helps your light sensitivity. It's also great that you have no problems with irritation. I just wanted to give others a heads up.

Absolutely find a qualified person to do your lash extensions, that's a given. That is not a guarantee that it won't cause you problems.

I had been getting my lashes done for quite some time and always had a reaction (ironically it gets worse as the grow out). I kept trying new places, more $$$ places, places that only did eyelashes and boom, same thing.

We all went together for a wedding and everybody got their lashes done by the same person. Guess who got a reaction and nobody else? Me!

I only notice the irritation when I first wake up and it typically doesn't bother me during the day.

Obviously plenty of people get eyelash extensions with zero issues but it's just a heads up. My friend had zero issues for years (all with the same person) and now has to take benedryl before and after getting them done. I strongly think there is a skill component and a sensitivity/allergy component. It's all YMMV.

Glad it works for you. It became a moot point for me when I started oil cleansing my face. I'm not spending $350 on eyelashes to have them fall out when I wash my face haha.

Ironically eyelash perms (which is far scarier chemicals than the glue) don't bother me at all. Go figure.

I have about 10 gray hairs at the top of my head, so I now get my hair dyed every 4 weeks, just to cover those few grays. She also dyes my brows. Makes them stand out a bit more. I get gel nails (short and natural looking) every 2 weeks - my natural nails split and peel very low, so this isn't so much for the look. I'd rather just paint my own nails if I could.

Have been getting laser hair removal on my calves and armpits for a few years. LOVE the results! Best money I've ever spent on myself.

I'd like to fix the lines between my eyebrows. I always look mad. They're pretty deep and I HATE them. But I'm scared.

For those who have gotten botox, do you go to a Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon?

I have about 10 gray hairs at the top of my head, so I now get my hair dyed every 4 weeks, just to cover those few grays. She also dyes my brows. Makes them stand out a bit more. I get gel nails (short and natural looking) every 2 weeks - my natural nails split and peel very low, so this isn't so much for the look. I'd rather just paint my own nails if I could.

Have been getting laser hair removal on my calves and armpits for a few years. LOVE the results! Best money I've ever spent on myself.

I'd like to fix the lines between my eyebrows. I always look mad. They're pretty deep and I HATE them. But I'm scared.

For those who have gotten botox, do you go to a Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon?

I went to a dermatologist first. I went for the same reason. I did notice some improvement but was told to get the look I wanted, they'd have to go in and destroy that muscle! I noped right out of that.

An NP? Nurse Practitioner? In what type of office?

Yes. An aesthetics office. She does chemical peels, fillers, etc. I had a friend who looked great and much fresher and said she'd just gone and I was so impressed, I tried her and haven't been back to the plastic surgeon since. Her office is so lovely - more like a spa than an office, she's far easier to get an appointment with, and about 25% less expensive. I'd been getting botox for a number of years when I switched to her, so I knew what to expect.

I've always been told I look younger than I am, especially when I don't wear makeup, so that's one reason I do wear makeup, especially at work. I also think I look washed out when I don't because I have very light eyebrows and very thin lashes. But I don't spend a lot of time on doing it because I don't enjoy it. I always put facial moisturizer on though, and usually at least lip gloss.

I had my hair colored once when I was working as a salon receptionist in college. One of the girls there did it for me for fun and said it would only last 6 weeks and be a strawberry blond. It turned out to be carrot orange that I couldn't get rid of for 6 months! Never again, even though my stylist says adding highlights would make my hair thicker since it's super thin and fine. I go to her a couple times a year for a trim or cut. I', starting to get white hairs- I'll just call them highlights!

I ALWAYS have my toenails painted- I hate how they look without it. Since I got my new job last year- which meant a raise and less physical work, so less likely to tear up my nails- I started treating myself to gel manicures every 2-3 weeks. I've tried painting my own nails in the past but I stink at it. My nails grow really well and I love how they look.

The one elective surgery I have had is breast augmentation. I was fine with how they looked before kids at a B/C, and even after my first because they went back to normal. But after my second they went from DDD when I was breastfeeding to less than an A. Clothes didn't fit right and I felt super awkward for years. I finally talked to DH about it and he said that whatever made me happy he would support. He helped me research and we found a doctor that felt comfortable with who explained all my options as well as the pros and cons. 13 year later I have had no complications and I feel normal. I would recommend that anyone thinking about any kind of elective surgery or procedure to get all the facts and not rush to make a decision.

On a whim last year, seeing the beautiful gray hair coloring trends, I decided to let my hair go natural to see what it really looks like.
I was just at the salon last week and my hair gal said all the coloring and bleach is gone, its now my natural color. I have a variety of grays from light to dark and I get tons of compliments, way more than when I paid to have the highlights or multi colors woven in.

The thought of eyelash extensions makes me cringe, I have super sensitive eyes and can't handle a clump of mascara let alone a bunch of glue spots

I have very oily skin and no wrinkles so never entertained any additives or fillers although I bet even if I had wrinkles I wouldn't as it just isn't part of who I am. I'm not vain and I'm pretty low maintenance.

I have my hair colored every 10 weeks. In part to cover my gray, but also to help "thicken" my extremely thin and fine hair. I'm not going to do Rogaine or a hair transplant, so this is a good alternative for me.

I do pedicures once/month because I hate the way my toenails look. I rarely do manicures.

Genetics are not on my side and I've had heavy eyelids (upper), dark circles and bags (under) and a turkey (or chicken?) neck for a very long time, making me look way older than I am. I elected to have that fixed last year. My surgeon prides himself on making the results look natural. I'm happy with the results.

I would like to get botox, I have the "11" in between my brows and some lines on my forehead that I would love to be smooth. I also have some scarring on one cheek and my chin that I would like to have filled with a filler. I just haven't gotten around to it, but every time I'm at the dermatologist with one of my kids I pick up the pamphlets, I just need to make the appointments.
I have always dreamed of a nose job, but that isn't really in the budget.

I have my hair colored every 10 weeks. In part to cover my gray, but also to help "thicken" my extremely thin and fine hair. I'm not going to do Rogaine or a hair transplant, so this is a good alternative for me.

I do pedicures once/month because I hate the way my toenails look. I rarely do manicures.

Genetics are not on my side and I've had heavy eyelids (upper), dark circles and bags (under) and a turkey (or chicken?) neck for a very long time, making me look way older than I am. I elected to have that fixed last year. My surgeon prides himself on making the results look natural. I'm happy with the results.

I have my hair colored also, because my hair is very very fine, and the color makes it thicker.

When I was younger, I had so much hair that (no joke) the barber used to charge extra to cut it. In my wild youth, I grew it long....OK...it was sort of mullet style, but not quite as short in the front and a little longer in back than most mullets. Hey, it was the 1980s and I played hockey, whaddya want? :rolleyes: Heck, when I met DW at least I had cut the length out, but she would cut my hair using electric clippers and we'd break one every 6 months. But then we got married and had kids, and almost overnight it all fell out. Now, I'm basically bald on top. I refuse to shave what's left of it off. Makes me sad. If I had the money, I'd do good hair transplants in a heartbeat.

What can I do about under eye bags that doesn't require surgery? any kind of injection- would botox work on them? They drive me nuts, no creams ever help!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter