Another lovely day in Oklahoma. . .

Yes, tomorrow is the day and I am ready. I was supposed to be out of work for the past 3 weeks but the person covering my position had an immigration issue (discovered at the beginning of week 2) so I got called back in to deal with grading and setting up for the second session of lab (which he was supposed to do, but...). I have been stupidly busy and stressed, but I have everything done here at home and at work except for about 6 lab reports left to grade, which I should be doing now! Thanks for thinking of me and I'll let you know how I feel about being Bionic in a few days!

Well, we're gonna wait a while longer for my opinion on being the Bionic Woman. I had a sore throat yesterday that I chalked up to the smoke at a holiday bonfire. By last night I had sinus congestion, sneezing, runny nose. Got into pre-op today and the anesthesiologist canceled the surgery; she says with having surgery with a cold, the risk of post-surgical pneumonia is too high. At least the hadn't started the IV. To say I am disappointed and frustrated is an understatement. I'm waiting for the surgeon's office/scheduler to call back about rescheduling. (I called the second they opened and even talked to a live person!)

I'm having my knee replacement surgery on Wednesday, June 21! I never did get very sick from that cold that postponed the May 31st surgery, and I just learned today that I am "on" for June 21. I am so excited to have this done! My knee has gotten worse over the past few weeks. It gives out randomly now, and I've fallen twice- and it hurts All The Time. To say I am excited about having surgery next Wednesday is an understatement. Fingers crossed for no colds, no flu, no covid, no UTI, no URI, etc. from now until then. I wear a mask Every time I leave the house, hoping to keep from getting sick!

I'm having my knee replacement surgery on Wednesday, June 21! I never did get very sick from that cold that postponed the May 31st surgery, and I just learned today that I am "on" for June 21. I am so excited to have this done! My knee has gotten worse over the past few weeks. It gives out randomly now, and I've fallen twice- and it hurts All The Time. To say I am excited about having surgery next Wednesday is an understatement. Fingers crossed for no colds, no flu, no covid, no UTI, no URI, etc. from now until then. I wear a mask Every time I leave the house, hoping to keep from getting sick!
Great to hear you are rescheduled, leebee. Only a week from now. You will do great. Remember the PT.

leebee: Thinking of you today, the day after.. Best Wishes for a speedy recovery. :hug:

Posting a few pictures of our now 17 years old grandson taken on the Disney Wonder when he was 6 1/2. He wrote Gr11 Chemistry yesterday morning, I wanted to wish him good luck, but mostly to remind him of the 'Flubber Lab' session.

Attachments

• 20230522_105707_resized(1).jpg
    20230522_105707_resized(1).jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230522_105758_resized(1).jpg
    20230522_105758_resized(1).jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230522_105405_resized.jpg
    20230522_105405_resized.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230522_105522_resized(1).jpg
    20230522_105522_resized(1).jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I did a little song-and-dance with low blood pressure (90/60) for awhile but they finally got me stabilized and sent me home, so I slept in my own bed last night. It's not as painful as I anticipated, although I'm guessing there's still some anesthesia inside that is offsetting my senses a bit. It's OK, though. I have pain med management, the homecare nurses were here this morning and said the surgical site looks great, and I am having minimal swelling, so that's good too. Tomorrow I will be put to the test: Physical Therapy arrives with their own special brand of torture, hahaha!

I did a little song-and-dance with low blood pressure (90/60) for awhile but they finally got me stabilized and sent me home, so I slept in my own bed last night. It's not as painful as I anticipated, although I'm guessing there's still some anesthesia inside that is offsetting my senses a bit. It's OK, though. I have pain med management, the homecare nurses were here this morning and said the surgical site looks great, and I am having minimal swelling, so that's good too. Tomorrow I will be put to the test: Physical Therapy arrives with their own special brand of torture, hahaha!
I'm going to post the:laughing: too, for your torture comment!

Sounds great, leebee! You're partially a bionic woman now. Do all the PT stuff for great future results and outcome. Yeah, leebee! :cheer2:

The PT folks come to you??? That's convenient! When DW had her knee done we had to drive to a PT center in the snow!
I know! I was pretty surprised. Home Health Nursing comes in twice a week for the first two weeks, and PT will be in three times for the first two weeks and then twice a week for the second two weeks. Yesterday I was having issues staying ahead of the pain, so the therapist and I mostly talked, she watched me walk, and she gave me some baby exercises to do (ankle circles). She promised that the next time she saw me, it wouldn't be as fun :scared1:

Oh no Jane! I'm sorry to hear about your struggle with the smoke. It isn't bad where I am, but something is messing with my upper respiratory system over the past few weeks. Nothing terrible, but it's annoying.

Midsummer check-in! How is everyone doing? This knee rehab is nothing like what I expected it to be, but I am making progress overall. It's a "2 steps forward, 1 step backwards" kind of thing to begin with. Then I have a day where I feel good and do too much, and pay for it that night and the next day. However, I am hobbling around the house with just a cane or nothing at all most of the time, and DH and I walk into town and back at least once a day; I take the crutches due to uneven ground, sand, pebbles, etc., but try not to use them too much. It's about 0.3mi round trip. Not only is it good for me overall, but the "sun and sky" therapy can't be beat! Today will be my last in-home nursing visit, and after I see the PT here twice this week, I'll be completely discharged to outpatient. So far, my surgeons and PT are pleased with my progress!

Oddly enough, we didn't experience the smoke from the Canadian fires. We must be just a bit too far north and east, or something. We have had unseasonably warm, humid weather, with a lot of "grey" and not too much sun. That is OK by me, as I am pretty much hanging out on the 2nd floor of the house and we don't have a/c, just ceiling and floor fans. If the sun was beaming in all day, I'd be dying. Today we have a little sun, and I have to admit that it's nice to see some light.

Friday the resident 6 year old turned into the resident 7 year old. I had an "overdid it" day as his request for his birthday supper was "Lee's macaroni and cheese!!" How could I say no? I also made the layers for his birthday cake, as DD has been taking care of 99% of the household stuff since I've been laid up. The little guy has been very worried about me. In the beginning a couple of times he'd said "but I don't want you to die," which is heartwarming but saddening all at once. He's over that now and has been making me get well cards, get well stickers, and bringing me special rocks and toys to make me feel better. He also loves to sit beside me on the bed and look at pictures of WDW. He doesn't know it yet because plans might change (he has some challenges/issues that could come into play), but if things go well the 5 of us will be going to Disney for a week in January. I have rented a 4 bedroom pool home that is refundable until the day before check-in (he needs the "away" time from the bubble, and I'm hoping my sis and BIL from NOLA will come hang with us) and grabbed RT airfare on SW on points, so if we have to cancel at the last minute, we won't lose much. We also won't buy park tickets until we are sure it's a "go." I can't wait to go to Disney with a little one again, to see the magic through HIS eyes!

DH starts a new job today. It's a great position for him, although it comes with a 10% pay cut. It also comes with sanity, peace of mind, and great health and retirement benefits (meaning I can retire in a couple of years and we can afford for him to carry the good health insurance, instead of him going on expensive bad health insurance at his old job and me going on medicare- $$$ all around and makes up for the paycut). It will be nice to have him NOT grading every night and both afternoons on the weekend. Also, DD earned her masters in social work in May and just passed her certification exam, so she will start as a social worker in hospice in August. This is the job she hoped for when she starting thinking of grad school, so we are pretty excited for her- and of course, proud of her, too.

SO... what have you guys all been up to this summer?

Great update leebee! Glad to hear the PT is going well, I know you were pretty concerned about it (who wouldn't be?)

The January WDW sounds great! It is so fun to see your grandkids in awe of WDW, it's a great feeling! Hope it all works out and you can make it happen. That's so cute that he wanted your special mac & cheese for his birthday dinner. I'm the sandwich king to my DGDs, nothing special but they love them.

Congrats on your DHs new job! Workplace sanity is highly underrated, a small paycut could well be worth it.

Another congrats to your DD on her master's degree!

Haven't accomplished hardly anything this summer, and that's just fine with me.

BTW--from Slo's poll this morning--I like fried clams too. I get them at the Boathouse at Disney Springs. Not sure how they'd measure up to what is served in your neck of the woods, but in case you need a "fix" while you're there it might hit the spot!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter