Another lovely day in Oklahoma. . .

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone, and belated Thanksgiving to our Canadian friends! I was NOT feeling it on Thursday morning and stayed in bed until almost 11am (reading and surfing the internet) but once I finally got up and got going, things got better. DD, DH, and SIL all helped with food prep and house cleaning (even though we only had one guest coming for dinner) so we spent a lot of time together, and it wasn't all on me. Our friend came over about 6pm and stayed until about 10. After it was all over and I was sitting on the couch, waiting for our show to start (if you haven't watched The Sinner series on Netflix, you should), I realized that I'd had a very lovely day.

I took that solo trip to Disney that I was talking about and I had a lovely time. I got to do all the things I never get to do; I'm not a coaster person and can't do things that go around in circles, so I spend much of our disney trips holding backpacks while others do rides instead of wandering around looking at things (because at the price of Disney, you do RIDES, not wandering, right?). Anyhow, I poked around into all the nooks and crannies at AK, roamed the trails around the Tree of Life, and took the Caring for Giants tour. At MK I rode the ferry boat and went to Tom Sawyer's Island- both things I've never done- watched Hall of Presidents, etc. I did some new things, some favorite things, strolled around, ate where/what/when I wanted, etc. It was nice, but you know what I learned? Part of my joy in going to Disney is going with my family. I had a terrific time on my own (even though I got caught in TS/Hurricane Nicole and came home 4 expensive days later than planned), but probably won't do a solo trip again. I just missed sharing with my loved ones too much!

@Dan Murphy, I hope you are on the mend. Pneumonia is nothing to mess around with (especially at our ages, hahaha). I had two rounds of viral bronchitis this fall and the docs were all worried about pneumonia, but I made it through, finally, thanks to good drugs and medical care.

I hope everyone has had a lovely fall and are ready for the madness that leads up to Christmas! The holiday is four very short weeks from tomorrow, and there's SO much to do before then!

One of the great mysteries of the internet, I guess we'll always wonder about him. I see our ALDIO group on various threads around the boards--except for Jane NFLDRS, hope you are well.

Happy Thanksgiving to the Americans here, everyone else have a wonderful weekend:)
I'm grateful for your mention of me Dan. My internet activity has definately waned. I'm not sure I can pinpoint any particular reason.

It's sure been awhile since this thread was active- so I'll report and hopefully hear from everyone (although I do see you around on the other boards)! Last time I posted it was almost Christmas, and I'd fallen in the mud outside my house. We NEVER have mud in December up here- always snow- but it's been a wacky year in so many ways. Anyhow, my left foot shot out from under me and I landed smack-dab, full weight on my bent right knee. The pain was exquisitely excruciating! Long story short, I ended up with deep bone bruises, basically lots of micro fissures, in the patella and tibia. These fill with fluid/edema (body's way of healing) but of course, bone can't swell like soft tissue does. The ortho says it's as painful as a broken leg (yes, it is) and takes about as long to heal (yes, it does). I just abandoned crutches on Wednesday, making it nine full weeks on crutches. It's still painful sometimes, still swells, and I think I need to see the orthopedist again. Now that the majority of the edema is gone from the soft tissue, I'm hearing and feeling things that makes me worried there'll be some meniscus damage in there. However... now DH is laid up. He fell while hanging curtains over the kitchen sink a couple of weeks ago. Caught the full weight of the fall on his hands (palms down on the counter) before falling to the floor. His bicep muscle swelled enormously and his arm bruised up, but it was healing. Friday night, he slipped on ice- feet shot out straight forward, and he went down on his butt and palms flat on the ground, taking the weight of the fall. He asked to go to the doctor (yes, you felt the earth shift on its axis). They think he tore the biceps tendon with the first fall and the second fall may have torn the rotator cuff. Now he, too, awaits a call from the ortho's office to schedule an appointment. I am so thankful DD and SIL are living with us. It's not that we can't take care of ourselves, but it sure is nice to have someone around to lug in groceries, take out the trash, do the shoveling, etc. It is very weird to have my body seem to be crapping out on me. I don't feel like we are that old- I'm only 66- but I guess my body has other plans.

Despite all this, we are in good spirits and planning for another 2 weeks at a seaside cottage this summer. I just realized that we'll celebrate our 30th anniversary in June, so we're trying to think of a quick get-away for that. I will be stupidly busy with summer teaching, but I think it'll be worth it. Maybe a long weekend in Quebec... DD and SIL just came back from Winter Carnival and had a magnificent time, sightseeing in and learning about the city as much as from doing carnival stuff, so we might do that. Dunno... I'll come up with something, though!! I hope everyone is hanging in there and making it through the winter OK. This is the long part of the year up here... February only has 28 days but it feels like it's 8 weeks long!

February only has 28 days but it feels like it's 8 weeks long!
So true.

Sorry you guys have both been injured, but you definitely have a great attitude! I'm sure the "kids" are grateful to be living with you and are glad to help out. Enjoy your trip planning!

We're six days out from Florida here, and I'm super excited! We're visiting family and then spending a couple of days at Universal. I haven't seen my brother in ages, and am really hoping this trip happens as planned.

I remember years that we've gone in February that were all about escaping the snow and cold, but even though our weather has been mostly mild here lately, I'm still looking forward to a little preview of summer.

In other news:

Our old dryer finally went (I think we narrowly avoided a fire!) and the new one was just installed last week. I like it so far.

One of the cats needed to be switched to a special food that's easier on her kidneys and seems to be feeling better.

DS has left a college/major that wasn't the right fit, and is home for the time being to work and save some money.

Looking forward to everyone else's updates!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter