Another lovely day in Oklahoma. . .

I guess that's one way to remember the date;) Congratulation on your anniversary! Is it a milestone anniversary?

• 2nd anniversary: Cotton. Cotton is the traditional gift for the second anniversary. ...
  • 3rd anniversary: Leather. ...
  • 4th anniversary: Flowers. ...
  • 5th anniversary: Wood. ...
  • 10th anniversary: Tin. ...
  • 30th anniversary: Pearl. ...
  • 40th anniversary: Ruby. ...
  • 50th anniversary: Gold.

Almost 50!

Happy anniversary to you two, Jane, and happy birthday to your DH. Hope your trip is lovely!

PollyannaMom, glad to hear your son's surgery went well. I understand the video game thing. My daughter plays, too. How long does he have to wear the splint?

It should come off a week from tomorrow, at the follow-up appointment. Since it's February vacation week here, he'll only have to deal with two school days with it on, which is a plus.

Yesterday, DH got him a smaller controller so they could play a bit together. (He doesn't think he's good enough on it to play with his friends on line, but he can still beat Dad. :rotfl:)

Last edited:
It should come off a week from tomorrow, at the follow-up appointment. Since it's February vacation week here, he'll only have to deal with two school days with it on, which is a plus.

Yesterday, DH got him a smaller controller so they could play a bit together. (He doesn't think he's good enough on it to play with his friends on line, but he can still beat Dad. :rotfl:)

Lol! My daughter taught me how to play Overwatch. At first I thought she was being nice, but then I quickly found out it was so she could beat me in custom 1 v 1 games. So glad your son gets the splint off soon, but in the meantime this will make for good father/son bonding time! :)

Also, how nice to have a February break from school! It's such a blah month. A break makes a lot of sense to me! Kids here have to wait until March.

Also, how nice to have a February break from school! It's such a blah month. A break makes a lot of sense to me! Kids here have to wait until March.

I do like it. We often use it to travel to Florida, and it's really nice to get out of the early dark for a week. (But we went for Christmas this year instead, and I loved that too!)

Oh, sweet Mother of Pearl, we've got at least 2 more weeks of the deep-freeze coming, according to the 14-day forecast. The farthest-out projections don't show us being above zero at all until well into March with many days colder than -20C. This is NOT a typical Calgary winter; we're used to extremely harsh conditions but not without a blessed Chinook wind every so often to warm things up. With no respite people around here are starting to get grumpy...:mad:

Oh, sweet Mother of Pearl, we've got at least 2 more weeks of the deep-freeze coming, according to the 14-day forecast. The farthest-out projections don't show us being above zero at all until well into March with many days colder than -20C. This is NOT a typical Calgary winter; we're used to extremely harsh conditions but not without a blessed Chinook wind every so often to warm things up. With no respite people around here are starting to get grumpy...:mad:

So very sorry this winter has been absolutely miserable for Albertans. The end of March hopefully will be better, will be thinking about you,

We Honeymooned in Niagara Falls almost 50 years ago, and have had many, many anniversaries there since, This year's was one we will not soon forget. We had to cancel our actual anniversary celebration because of an ice storm.

We rebooked, and went last Sunday. The weather was favourable for the drive there although really cold...:cold: As the day went on the winds became hurricane strength. The cable went out in the hotel so that meant as well as having to stay in the hotel, I'd not be viewing the Academy Awards this year.

We were booked for a shuttle ride to a famous steak house restaurant for dinner. The shuttle service did take us (to my surprise) despite the weather. A hotel employee held a side door (the front door was closed as it was too wind bearing) of the hotel for everyone coming and going. The damage occuring outside was alarming.

We actually watched a red balloon get wind blown and wind updrafted from Niagara Falls Canada (8th floor window view) to Niagara Falls USA! I kid you not!! We salvaged the rest of the evening poolside.

We had to stay Monday because snow had now joined the wind, and driving was dangerous. The cable service came back on yea! The stories shared throughout the hotel from people visiting the Falls from all around the world, and about the many weather adventures made this anniversary memorable, and one we will not forget. :sunny:

Last edited:
We Honeymooned in Niagara Falls almost 50 years ago, and have had many, many anniversaries there since, This year's was one we will not soon forget. We had to cancel our actual anniversary celebration because of an ice storm.

We rebooked, and went last Sunday. The weather was favourable for the drive there although really cold...:cold: As the day went on the winds became hurricane strength. The cable went out in the hotel so that meant as well as having to stay in the hotel, I'd not be viewing the Academy Awards this year.

We were booked for a shuttle ride to a famous steak house restaurant for dinner. The shuttle service did take us (to my surprise) despite the weather. A hotel employee held a side door (the front door was closed as it was too wind bearing) of the hotel for everyone coming and going. The damage occuring outside was alarming.

We actually watched a red balloon get wind blown and wind updrafted from Niagara Falls Canada (Hotel parking lot) to Niagara Falls USA! I kid you not!! We salvaged the rest of the evening poolside.

We had to stay Monday because snow had now joined the wind, and driving was dangerous. The cable service came back on yea! The stories shared throughout the hotel from people visiting the Falls from all around the world, and about the many weather adventures made this anniversary memorable, and one we will not forget. :sunny:

That weather sounds a bit scary, but I'm glad you were able to have your nice dinner and a memorable anniversary. Years from now, you'll be saying "Remember when . . . ". Please tell me the pool was indoors.

So very sorry this winter has been absolutely miserable for Albertans. The end of March hopefully will be better, will be thinking about you,
:cold: They say (whoever "they" are :laughing: ) that it's been the harshest since 1952 and the third harshest since records have been kept. The one thing we have going for us is that most days, no matter how cold, are sunny with a bright blue sky. Believe it or not it makes a big difference to people's moods - cold we can handle; bleak grey skies would make everybody miserable. :sunny:
666e1f4d-8c91-4f3e-b076-3ff41307a556.jpg

Not too much of excitement going on in my neck of the woods. It's the dead of winter, but fortunately we have not had much snow. Aroostook County, on the other hand, has snowbanks that look about 10 feet high. Sure glad we missed that!

Wedding plans are moving along, and the budget is ever-expanding. My sister (former baker) volunteered to do the cutting cake and cupcakes as her wedding present, but the venue doesn't allow food to be brought in unless it's from a commercial kitchen, so DD and her fiance spent a Saturday cupcake-tasting. They brought us samples so we converged on Dunk's for coffee and tastings. Fun... and it added $600 to the budget. My soon-to-be SIL's grandmother, who used to be a floral designer, volunteered to do the flowers as her gift, but she had a stroke in January (with 5 stints put in) so she can't do the flowers. DD and I will visit the florist in 2 weeks to pick out flowers. Fortunately it's just bouquets, boutonnieres, and corsages (not centerpieces) but that's gonna be another $500-$600 that we didn't anticipate. It's OK... we can pay it, just not how we'd hoped to spend all our money this spring, and of course we anticipated unexpected costs, right? Let's see... I am ordering the bridesmaid's dresses this afternoon. DD has had her first gown fitting (it really only needs a bustle and about 1" for the hem). Invitations are purchased and almost all addressed, and DD had designed the program (although we are waiting until much closer to the wedding before printing them). We have purchased all the artificial flowers for the overhead hanging decorations, decoration for the marriage arch, and all the stuff for the centerpieces. Now I have to get artsy-craftsy and make them. I am on semester break in 2 weeks, so after meeting DD in NH for the floral meeting, we'll go back to her home in CT where I will stay for most of the week and work on stuff while she's at work, and then we'll work together in the evenings. That's the plan... but it might get sidelined if there is wine involved, hahaha. She still needs to firm up her plans for favors, and we'll probably need to buy bags for them. Everything else is done... DJ and photographer hired, final food choices made, etc. I guess they are still choosing readings for the ceremony, and DD has to purchase her fiancé's wedding ring (but she found it and has the $$$).

This weekend I am at my sister's in southern Maine. We are headed towards the Boston area to go dress shopping for me. We really have no decent stores in the Bangor area, now that Macy's is gone, and I think being the MOB calls for more than a dress from Walmart or Target! I DETEST shopping, so am not looking forward to this. I have looked online but am not finding much from reputable sources. I also am body-shape-challenged, so ordering online will require several purchases to find something that fits and looks good. I have found a couple of things I like, but the companies get awful reviews regarding customer service and returns that I don't dare order (Old Pueblo Traders, Blair, JJ's House). Sigh. I have found one dress I like through Dillards, so am going to look for that today even though we don't have a Dillards. If I can try one of them on, I might order online as there are better prices and colors available. Sigh. I hate shopping, and after I buy the dress, I get to go find SHOES. Shoot me now!!

Not too much of excitement going on in my neck of the woods. It's the dead of winter, but fortunately we have not had much snow. Aroostook County, on the other hand, has snowbanks that look about 10 feet high. Sure glad we missed that!

Wedding plans are moving along, and the budget is ever-expanding. My sister (former baker) volunteered to do the cutting cake and cupcakes as her wedding present, but the venue doesn't allow food to be brought in unless it's from a commercial kitchen, so DD and her fiance spent a Saturday cupcake-tasting. They brought us samples so we converged on Dunk's for coffee and tastings. Fun... and it added $600 to the budget. My soon-to-be SIL's grandmother, who used to be a floral designer, volunteered to do the flowers as her gift, but she had a stroke in January (with 5 stints put in) so she can't do the flowers. DD and I will visit the florist in 2 weeks to pick out flowers. Fortunately it's just bouquets, boutonnieres, and corsages (not centerpieces) but that's gonna be another $500-$600 that we didn't anticipate. It's OK... we can pay it, just not how we'd hoped to spend all our money this spring, and of course we anticipated unexpected costs, right? Let's see... I am ordering the bridesmaid's dresses this afternoon. DD has had her first gown fitting (it really only needs a bustle and about 1" for the hem). Invitations are purchased and almost all addressed, and DD had designed the program (although we are waiting until much closer to the wedding before printing them). We have purchased all the artificial flowers for the overhead hanging decorations, decoration for the marriage arch, and all the stuff for the centerpieces. Now I have to get artsy-craftsy and make them. I am on semester break in 2 weeks, so after meeting DD in NH for the floral meeting, we'll go back to her home in CT where I will stay for most of the week and work on stuff while she's at work, and then we'll work together in the evenings. That's the plan... but it might get sidelined if there is wine involved, hahaha. She still needs to firm up her plans for favors, and we'll probably need to buy bags for them. Everything else is done... DJ and photographer hired, final food choices made, etc. I guess they are still choosing readings for the ceremony, and DD has to purchase her fiancé's wedding ring (but she found it and has the $$$).

This weekend I am at my sister's in southern Maine. We are headed towards the Boston area to go dress shopping for me. We really have no decent stores in the Bangor area, now that Macy's is gone, and I think being the MOB calls for more than a dress from Walmart or Target! I DETEST shopping, so am not looking forward to this. I have looked online but am not finding much from reputable sources. I also am body-shape-challenged, so ordering online will require several purchases to find something that fits and looks good. I have found a couple of things I like, but the companies get awful reviews regarding customer service and returns that I don't dare order (Old Pueblo Traders, Blair, JJ's House). Sigh. I have found one dress I like through Dillards, so am going to look for that today even though we don't have a Dillards. If I can try one of them on, I might order online as there are better prices and colors available. Sigh. I hate shopping, and after I buy the dress, I get to go find SHOES. Shoot me now!!

Kudos to you in taking the bumps in stride. I hear you on detesting shopping!
Continue to take it one day at a time. :daisy:

...The one thing we have going for us is that most days, no matter how cold, are sunny with a bright blue sky. Believe it or not it makes a big difference to people's moods - cold we can handle; bleak grey skies would make everybody miserable. :sunny:

That is so true! I'll take cold and sunny over warm and grey any day.

:cold: They say (whoever "they" are :laughing: ) that it's been the harshest since 1952 and the third harshest since records have been kept. The one thing we have going for us is that most days, no matter how cold, are sunny with a bright blue sky. Believe it or not it makes a big difference to people's moods - cold we can handle; bleak grey skies would make everybody miserable. :sunny:
666e1f4d-8c91-4f3e-b076-3ff41307a556.jpg

The whoever "they" are would be a great DIS question!! :rotfl:

Our UP (Upper Peninsula to those not familiar with Michigan acronyms) is setting snow amount records all over the place especially for the month of Feb. This week in all of Michigan we will be celebrating records for the lowest highs. :cold:

How exactly would they know? With something as unobtrusive as a few boxes of cupcakes I'd be sorely tempted to just fly them under the radar, but then I'm a rebel like that. ;)

I've got the opposite sort of challenge coming up in May. I'm catering a DIY wedding for friends who, due to "reasons", are having to do their daughter's wedding on a shoe-string. I almost fainted when I found out the venue they've chosen only has a staging kitchen. :eek: They didn't understand what that meant until I explained that they are not permitted to actually cook anything there. Since I don't have an industrial kitchen at my disposal, it's going to be a huge challenge (hot/cold buffet for 150) but somehow, some way by God's grace we'll make it happen.

Our UP (Upper Peninsula to those not familiar with Michigan acronyms) is setting snow amount records all over the place especially for the month of Feb. This week in all of Michigan we will be celebrating records for the lowest highs. :cold:
It's hard to imagine a place with weather as harsh as Calgary not being snowy, but we actually get very little. The altitude is high and it's extremely dry (at all times of the year). There's maybe 4" on the ground right now and much of it is hard-packed and ice covered. 50 miles west in the heart of the Rockies the ski resorts have had upwards of 9' this season.

I plan on doing some camping/hiking/biking in the UP this summer. I've never been and am looking forward to exploring it all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!