Another lovely day in Oklahoma. . .

Sorry your flowers are goners, ronandannette.
It was a pretty sucky year for the flower beds, which is irksome because I put quite a lot of money and effort into them. :( We had a very late spring and a cool, damp summer. I germinated my sweet peas indoors and planted them as sprouts mid-June. The blooms just started to pop two weeks ago; around the time I should have been putting out the harvest decor. :laughing:

Speaking of harvest, my tomatoes grew super-tall but took forever to bloom; they did finally fruit out pretty well but I only got a handful off. Most of them would have taken another week or more to ripen and now they're frozen solid green tomato-sicles. :cold:

It was a pretty sucky year for the flower beds, which is irksome because I put quite a lot of money and effort into them. :( We had a very late spring and a cool, damp summer. I germinated my sweet peas indoors and planted them as sprouts mid-June. The blooms just started to pop two weeks ago; around the time I should have been putting out the harvest decor. :laughing:

Speaking of harvest, my tomatoes grew super-tall but took forever to bloom; they did finally fruit out pretty well but I only got a handful off. Most of them would have taken another week or more to ripen and now they're frozen solid green tomato-sicles. :cold:

I love sweet peas!! They're so pretty and make me think of my grandmother. She used to have them in her yard when I was a kid.

That's super sad about the tomatoes. I've had that happen here, too, but usually had a longer growing season so was able to enjoy more of them for longer. It still was tragic to lose any to frost because home grown tomatoes always taste so good! I feel your pain - just not this year because our yard has become far too shady for a garden.

I love sweet peas!! They're so pretty and make me think of my grandmother. She used to have them in her yard when I was a kid.

That's super sad about the tomatoes. I've had that happen here, too, but usually had a longer growing season so was able to enjoy more of them for longer. It still was tragic to lose any to frost because home grown tomatoes always taste so good! I feel your pain - just not this year because our yard has become far too shady for a garden.
Our "back yard" (we live in a condo so it's actually a glorified patio with raised planting beds) is a north exposure flanked by 40' spruce trees. Very, very little direct sun back there so I have to be choosy with what I plant to begin with. The sweet peas and tomatoes were out front in my door yard, which is due south but we just didn't get the sun and heat this year that we usually do.

My whole thing with the flowers is in honor of my DMom and precious memories of my childhood. She had an amazing green-thumb. :lovestruc Her flower gardens were so lovely, people used to come from all over the county to see them. She kept us well-fed on provisions from her vegetable garden, which she froze and preserved for the winter. I was raised in a fairly remote farm community about 500 miles north of where I live now. Even at that, the growing conditions were way better than here because of the endless daylight during the summers (4:00 am to 11:00 pm in June/July) and the weather way, way less volatile.

I had a funny chat with some people from my office yesterday. I came by them outside and commented on how much it sucked that we were already wearing our winter coats. One lady answered, in complete sincerity "Oh no, this isn't my winter coat. It's my summer-winter coat." I killed myself laughing. :rotfl2:In what corner of heck do people actually need "summer-winter" coats? Only here.

Heading to Indianapolis tomorrow to visit my son, DIL and precious granddaughter. Hopefully I get there if any of you read my "map" thread! :teeth: I still can't believe 465 (a whole highway) might be shut down but I have memorized another route so wish me luck guys!

Ronandannette, I'll be thinking of you totally while basking or melting in 92 degree heat Indianapolis will be offering the next couple of days!! :scared1:

Heading to Indianapolis tomorrow to visit my son, DIL and precious granddaughter. Hopefully I get there if any of you read my "map" thread! :teeth: I still can't believe 465 (a whole highway) might be shut down but I have memorized another route so wish me luck guys!

Ronandannette, I'll be thinking of you totally while basking or melting in 92 degree heat Indianapolis will be offering the next couple of days!! :scared1:
Have a good trip and don’t worry about us. This kind of weather isn’t even a big thing. :wave2:

Our "back yard" (we live in a condo so it's actually a glorified patio with raised planting beds) is a north exposure flanked by 40' spruce trees. Very, very little direct sun back there so I have to be choosy with what I plant to begin with. The sweet peas and tomatoes were out front in my door yard, which is due south but we just didn't get the sun and heat this year that we usually do.

My whole thing with the flowers is in honor of my DMom and precious memories of my childhood. She had an amazing green-thumb. :lovestruc Her flower gardens were so lovely, people used to come from all over the county to see them. She kept us well-fed on provisions from her vegetable garden, which she froze and preserved for the winter. I was raised in a fairly remote farm community about 500 miles north of where I live now. Even at that, the growing conditions were way better than here because of the endless daylight during the summers (4:00 am to 11:00 pm in June/July) and the weather way, way less volatile.

I had a funny chat with some people from my office yesterday. I came by them outside and commented on how much it sucked that we were already wearing our winter coats. One lady answered, in complete sincerity "Oh no, this isn't my winter coat. It's my summer-winter coat." I killed myself laughing. :rotfl2:In what corner of heck do people actually need "summer-winter" coats? Only here.

Your mom sounds amazing! Isn't it funny how plants can be tied in to memories of our favorite people? Sweet Peas, daffodils, and four o'clocks are the ones that remind me of my grandma. I have daffodils and four o'clocks. Now maybe I should try sweet peas.

Careful. The fashion industry might jump all over the chance to create a summer-winter coat category! I wish I needed one of those this week. Still in the humid 90s.

Have a great trip! Don't get lost! : )

Have a good trip. Indy is a nice town, and the weather should be pleasant.:)

You got this! Have fun, remember your sunscreen.

And, here was I thinking all Western Canadians own Summer/Winter coats! :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter