~*Amy and Shawn’s PJ*~June 6th, 2011 - Our Hawaiian Honeymoon!

You know I love the groom cakes! What is your DF's most favorite hobby, the one thing (besides you) he couldn't live without. I'd go with that as the theme

The castle topper is beautiful, I wanted it but mean DH wouldn't let me.

LOL... those mean DF's and DH's! I agree the topper is beautiful!

You know I love the groom cakes! What is your DF's most favorite hobby, the one thing (besides you) he couldn't live without. I'd go with that as the theme

Hmm... beer, football, and video games... maybe I can combine them all! :rotfl:

I really like all of your cake choices! I think they are all great.

I just wanted to put my two cents in on the grooms cake - before you get your heart set on anything I would double check and make sure the bakery can do it. We had a lot of issues with our cake because we were told that it had to be simple and it couldn't be too time consuming to make. Everything we saw on all of the fancy cake shows was supposedly out of the question.

If I were in your shoes I would tell my planner that these were all the things he likes and ask them to ask the bakery to put together a sketch of what they could do.

I wish you luck. I can't wait to hear more.

I really like all of your cake choices! I think they are all great.

I just wanted to put my two cents in on the grooms cake - before you get your heart set on anything I would double check and make sure the bakery can do it. We had a lot of issues with our cake because we were told that it had to be simple and it couldn't be too time consuming to make. Everything we saw on all of the fancy cake shows was supposedly out of the question.

If I were in your shoes I would tell my planner that these were all the things he likes and ask them to ask the bakery to put together a sketch of what they could do.

I wish you luck. I can't wait to hear more.

Thanks for that info. It's very helpful! Since I can't really decide on a grooms cake anyway, I will just wait and talk to my planner when I get one, and have them give me a few suggestions and then decide.

If you can't get the cake through Disney Bakery, maybe have it another time so you can use an outside vendor like Its Tasty Too or Mikkel...because a cake from them might be $100 and it will be $500+ through Disney

such pretty cakes! I love the castle cake topper. I'm with Chilly...I wanted that one too but DF wouldn't let us get it :rolleyes: Get it so we can live through you! :laughing:

Hi Amy! Thanks for the welcome on my log. It's nice to meet another May 2011 bride! I haven't done much planning, other than booking Randy Chapman for the date we're hoping to get and trying on some wedding dresses. You seem very organized! I love all of your ideas so far. I am with you on the one year mark - I can't wait for it to be here so we can start letting our guests plan...and so I can plan too!

Talk soon!

DH is a Bills fan and I ordered his cake from Party Flavors, they delivered it and everything! It was delicious and of course DH loved it! I think it cost me $150.

WeddingHoneymoonDisney089.jpg

such pretty cakes! I love the castle cake topper. I'm with Chilly...I wanted that one too but DF wouldn't let us get it :rolleyes: Get it so we can live through you! :laughing:

LOL! I am now leaning towards the castle topper again, good thing I have a long time to decide! I really want to do a bridal tea if my budget allows, and maybe I can get a small mad hatter cake for that.

Hi Amy! Thanks for the welcome on my log. It's nice to meet another May 2011 bride! I haven't done much planning, other than booking Randy Chapman for the date we're hoping to get and trying on some wedding dresses. You seem very organized! I love all of your ideas so far. I am with you on the one year mark - I can't wait for it to be here so we can start letting our guests plan...and so I can plan too!

Talk soon!

I am very organized! Sometimes a little OCD. Yay for booking Randy Chapman!

DH is a Bills fan and I ordered his cake from Party Flavors, they delivered it and everything! It was delicious and of course DH loved it! I think it cost me $150.

WeddingHoneymoonDisney089.jpg

I really like that, especially the price! ;) Thanks for sharing, I will be looking into Party Flavors!

Hey did you see Carly's blog post on grooms cakes? I am really impressed by what she has found.

http://www.disneyweddingblog.com/2010/03/what-is-grooms-cake-anyway.html

Oh wow those are all great! DF actually really loves steamboat willie (the first cake made me think of this), so maybe if I will have to consider doing that as instead... more Disney.

I think that if you're having your reception outside at Epcot, that you won't be allowed to have Mickey and Minnie come. I read it on Carly's wedding blog - http://www.disneyweddingblog.com/2010/03/reception-location-epcot.html

I'm having my rehearsal "dinner" at Epcot as a DP, and then my actual reception at ADH with Minnie and Mickey. I do think you are right though about not being able to have Mickey and Minnie come into an Epcot location. Thanks for sharing the info. :flower3:

Hi to another May 2011 bride! We are getting closer and closer to the one year mark! I like the idea of a steamboat willie groom's cake. I'm thinking of doing a poker one as a surprise for my DF as he loves poker... I'm just worried it might not be much of a theme for Disney to work with? I want it to be great and honestly the few custom cakes I have ordered through Disney were nothing special. My suggestion is to either a) provide an actual picture of what you want, not just give them a theme, or b) see if they will come up with a sketch that you can approve. I ordered a custom birthday cake for my mom's birthday last year, and my DF ordered one for mine this January, and we were both pretty disappointed with what they came up with. The cakes were about $100 each, and both tasted fantastic, but the designs were SO simplistic, and we had said we wanted something over the top. With my mom's I even specifically said that I wasn't concerned with cost just wanted it to be fantastic so I was particularly unhappy about that one.

Hi to another May 2011 bride! We are getting closer and closer to the one year mark! I like the idea of a steamboat willie groom's cake. I'm thinking of doing a poker one as a surprise for my DF as he loves poker... I'm just worried it might not be much of a theme for Disney to work with? I want it to be great and honestly the few custom cakes I have ordered through Disney were nothing special. My suggestion is to either a) provide an actual picture of what you want, not just give them a theme, or b) see if they will come up with a sketch that you can approve. I ordered a custom birthday cake for my mom's birthday last year, and my DF ordered one for mine this January, and we were both pretty disappointed with what they came up with. The cakes were about $100 each, and both tasted fantastic, but the designs were SO simplistic, and we had said we wanted something over the top. With my mom's I even specifically said that I wasn't concerned with cost just wanted it to be fantastic so I was particularly unhappy about that one.

Kim, thank you so much for the advice on the groom's cake. I am really surprised to hear Disney does a disappointing job. Usually I think of them doing everything great! Now that you mention it though, I think I remember hearing another bride on here saying something similar. I consider myself pretty good at making cakes and always do something neat for DF's bday, so I deff. want something over the top, not plain and simple that I could do myself! Thanks for the tips, I will deff. remember these when it's time to order the cake.

So yesterday me and my mom sat down and figured everything out for how much we think the wedding, honeymoon, and all costs associated with it will cost, who is saving/paying for what, etc. Of course it's more than then we have!:lmao: I already feel like I'm cutting out most everything I can without totally regretting not doing something. If anyone has any suggestions on ways to cut costs, I would really appreciate hearing them.

Two things I think are insanely expensive:

The DJ - $1,500+
My DF's cousin is a DJ and has done a lot of family and friends weddings for really cheap! My sister's DJ was $400. This just seems so expensive!

Wedding Pavilion Fee - $3,000
My question is... For what? Yeah it includes an organist, but still, $3,000 is a lot of money to use a building for less than an hour!

Sorry for venting, now onto one more dilema:

How did you all deal with making your guest list? We also tried doing this yesterday, and it's so hard for a destination wedding. Our problem is that if everyone on our guest list happens to come, we are going to be way over budget. If a lot of people don't come, we could have invited way more people, and it was really hard getting our guest list down to what it is. Did anyone sort of ask people if they were thinking of coming before sending out the STD? I have a feeling my dad's side of the family is ALL going to come, or ALL going to not come. This is going to make a HUGE difference in the number of guests we have.

One more thing I need to vent about, sorry. :confused3

ADH has so many restrictions! Can't bring your own centerpieces, etc. Can't bring in an outside DJ. Have to spend $5,000 in F&B not including cake ( I know almost everywhere has these minimums), etc, etc. I would look into changing my location but I just don't feel the same way about anywhere else as I do ADH. If anyone has any suggestions I would be open to considering them. We deff. want lots of dancing.

Sorry to vent, I just spent a lot of time figuring everything out and it just seems like I came across all bad news, and no good news. :sad2:

P.S.
I think I may have to change my date from the end of May to the beginning of June due to financial reasons. Kind of worried about rain and heat though.

I dont think there is anything wrong at all with asking people if they think they will come before sending out STD. That is what I did. People have a pretty good idea on whether or not that is something they would even want to do. I say ask and see what they say. No harm in that.

Also, is it possible to do the ADH without a DJ but just an ipod station? Good music can be played without a DJ. Surely you have someone in your family that can do the fun random stuff like announcing your arrival! Just a thought.

To save money on flowers since we cant decorate the ADH, I am having them bring my decorations from the reception over to the WP so I dont have to buy seperate flowers. I also am going to do outside flowers for the bridesmaids and groomsmen. I dont even know if we will do flowers for the groomsmen.

Not sure if you are using an outside photographer or not but there are definitely a lot of great deals outside of Disney!

Good luck!

We were at ADH in November 2008 and had some cost cutting things done - I am actually leaving work the day today - and might not get back on tonight - but I can send you some info and some pictures tomorrow.

As far as the DJ goes - yes they are expensive but ours really help make our wedding. He was very energetic and really got everyone up out of their seats and onto the dance floor. He helped the whole reception run smoothly. Also, as the ADH is also a night club you get great lighting included - we did not pay extra.

Our centerpieces were not too expensive (either 35.00 or 55.00) each and we had just 5 tables. I will pictures tomorrow.

I don't remember what time you are thinking of but we had a brunch and this really helped keep costs down.

Linda

I dont think there is anything wrong at all with asking people if they think they will come before sending out STD. That is what I did. People have a pretty good idea on whether or not that is something they would even want to do. I say ask and see what they say. No harm in that.

Also, is it possible to do the ADH without a DJ but just an ipod station? Good music can be played without a DJ. Surely you have someone in your family that can do the fun random stuff like announcing your arrival! Just a thought.

To save money on flowers since we cant decorate the ADH, I am having them bring my decorations from the reception over to the WP so I dont have to buy seperate flowers. I also am going to do outside flowers for the bridesmaids and groomsmen. I dont even know if we will do flowers for the groomsmen.

Not sure if you are using an outside photographer or not but there are definitely a lot of great deals outside of Disney!

Good luck!

Glad to hear you asked people before sending out the STD's as well. I just feel like we need to have some idea of who is coming in order to invite enough/not too many people. I have considered using an Ipod but me and DF both really want a lot of dancing so I feel a DJ would be better. I do think the cost is outrageous, but I guess it's worth it. I am planning on bring all my own floral too for the BM's and GM's. That's a great idea to bring the flowers from the ceremony to the reception, why not? We will deff. do that. And we are also using an outside photographer, Disney is WAY too expensive! Thank you so much for all the suggestions! You had a lot of great ideas!

We were at ADH in November 2008 and had some cost cutting things done - I am actually leaving work the day today - and might not get back on tonight - but I can send you some info and some pictures tomorrow.

As far as the DJ goes - yes they are expensive but ours really help make our wedding. He was very energetic and really got everyone up out of their seats and onto the dance floor. He helped the whole reception run smoothly. Also, as the ADH is also a night club you get great lighting included - we did not pay extra.

Our centerpieces were not too expensive (either 35.00 or 55.00) each and we had just 5 tables. I will pictures tomorrow.

I don't remember what time you are thinking of but we had a brunch and this really helped keep costs down.

Linda

Linda, thanks for the help. I'm so glad the DJ comes with a lighting package. The lighting is one of the things I really love about ADH. I'm glad to hear your centerpieces were not too expensive, I think we will be having 5 tables as well. We are doing an evening reception, and food is what is costing us a lot. But me and DF are not morning people so a brunch wouldn't work well for us. I would love to see some pictures of your centerpieces to get an idea of what you get for the cost. Thanks for all the help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter