Am I the only one BUMMED about DCL?

We live in Denver. It is actually cheaper for us to get to WDW than to get to California most of the time via planes. Driving from here to Florida is not an option unless we want to spend a week driving to and from. Driving from here to California is an option, takes one long and one short day.

I would love to see the Magic move to California for a while, but at least for those of us in the middle of the U.S. the cost is a wash. Maybe DCL wants to see what would happen? I know they have done lots of "fact gathering" on what new itineraries folks want. What if the Magic did Alaska during the summer? Alaska one week and Mexican coast the other? Any takers? And I, for one, would love to do the Panama Canal, summer or winter. But I bet that will cost a fortune.

Maybe The Disney Corp hopes that they can package DL and DCA with a cruise to give DCA a much needed boost. And I sure hope that this gives an incentive for the company to repair DL and get it back up to par. Maybe they need to see if they throw a California party if anyone will come. A lot cheaper than commisioning a new ship to base in CA and have it be a failure, or at least not increase foot traffic in their CA parks.

And P.S. there are lots of other fun things to do in California. When we do DL and DCA we combine it with Sea World, San Diego Wild Animal Park and SD Zoo and Legoland. All you Florida residents and WDW AP guys are spoiled. Give the Western half of the U.S. a chance. And who knows, they may market the California itineraries to Japan and the Pacific Rim. CA is cheaper for them, too. :crazy:

Carla

I'm not bummed... see my tag line? C'mon West Coast! Bring it on!

Originally posted by nicki dahling
I would think this would mean a loss of money for DCL in many ways. But since I am not a business person not sure what the benefits for moving are. Is two ports out of the question? Would love the choice of cruising both here and California . Kind of confused, I assumed when people were talking about California Disney cruises that they would just be adding new ships out west to compliment the cruise ships here. Guess I will wait for more info.

Cyndi princess:

Well, Princess, I, for one, have a family of cruisin' fanatics in California that has just not been able to see its way to flying ALL THE WAY to Florida just to take a Disney cruise. It is quite possible that all the options that you mentioned, plus the capture of the West coast market would help Disney cruisers everywhere....
The Mouse jives to Juneau
The Mouse jumps to Japan
The Mouse putts through Panama....
It's a worldwide takeover!!!:hyper: :hyper:

for those wanting to do a 7 night cruise, if there are no May 05 - Sept 05 7 night cruise offerings (east or west coast), consider the "transfer cruise" (where they are moving the ship via the Panama Canal to or from the west coast ... that should be a 10 day cruise probably).

It's not definate yet, right??? This would be HORRIBLE for me!!! Mom only lets us cruise because we don't have to fly anywhere...it's a quick thirty minute trip...and here's the MAJOR problem for me... I AM SCARED TO DEATH OF FLYING!!!!!!!!!

I do believe that everyone will have different opinions because all cases are different. Disney would be smart to have two ships...one from Port Canavaral, the other from the West Coast, and do an itinerary of a seven day then a three, then a four...one reason I do not believe that they will move the ship to the west coast due to the fact that many cruisers only cruise with the desire to be on Castaway Cay.

Originally posted by rae519

Although I am a big supporter of the "Go West" - I can appreciate your feelings and concerns.

There is more in life to be "bummed out" about though than where the ship is going - health and finances.

Of course, if your finances are under control but your health is compromised there is always the concern (at the back of MY mind, anyway), which is that I won't be able to take a Disney cruise that originates in California because the ADA regulations that would enable it, and now apply to DCL in Florida, will not apply in California.

As the ADA is enforced in federal court where the discrimination occurs this is where the case must be filed. If DCL moves one of their ships to California it will no longer be using ports within the 11th Circuit of the Federal Courts and will be operating out of ports within the are of the 9th Circuit. The 9th Circuit has ruled that foreign flag cruise ships are are not required to comply with the ADA. So, if I need the protections of the ADA and take a cruise out of a west coast port that falls within the 9th Circuit I will have no ADA protections. If I take a cruise out of an east coast port that falls within the 11th Circuit my rights are protected by the ADA, which is a good thing else, on my May '04 cruise, poor Cash, the Wonder Dog, would be hanging over the rail to go potty.

Yes, I speak from experience here, too.

:yo-yo:

that many cruisers only cruise with the desire to be on Castaway Cay.

Well I can tell you that we do NOT cruise Disney because of CC! Actually I would rather visit a port rather than CC most of the time but then we enjoy experiencing other cultures and places. After about 3-4 hours on CC my family was bored and sick of the on again off again rain that we got to play in for most of the day. Yes it was a pretty place but it isnt the reason WE sail on Disney.

I still think it's rather "snobbish" (for lack of a better word) of those who live closer to Florida wanting to keep both Disney ships there.....who knows Disney may open up a HUGE market in the West that could rival or even exceed the East! Just because going out of a Western port doesnt give you the Caribbean it doesnt mean it is any less worthy of a visit. There are many cruise ships that leave from the West and also from the East and they must do fairly well or they would yank their ships from the West and reposition them. If they werent making money they certainly wouldnt keep ships there on the terrible awful west coast when the east coast sailings are the only ones keeping cruise lines in business! And geez it's only for 3-4 months if the rumor ends up being correct. Also is it set in stone that they will not do any 7 day sailings if they do send one out to the awful west coast?

GO DISNEY..move one west!
Heidi

I LOVE the idea of the Mouse cruising to Alaska in the summer!!!!!::yes:: We have wanted to do that very trip with our kids but not on the ships that cater to the older crowd. And to those of you that have never been to Disneyland, I have one word ---- GO! It is a VERY special place.:D Smaller yes, but it is the original, built by Walt himself and you can tell in every detail. Change can be good!:teeth:

it is not a rumor....

i just got off the FEb 14, 2004 sailing and the captain said it himself... no worries only for a couple months to celebrate disney lands 50 anniversary. The newest rumor is a cruise to Bermuda from NY!!!!

I am not wild about the idea moving to the west coast and I live here. I have done the Mexican Rivera and find the Carribean much more to my liking. We just booked our third Disney Cruise for March of 2005 and am very glad to be going east. Personal opinion from someone who goes to Southern California beaches regularly, the water in Carribean is incredible.

Now if the cruise went to Alaska I would be talking a different tune and want to change my cruise date.

Summer 2005 is a big one for us: 25th wedding anniversary, oldest daughter graduates from the US Air Force Academy, and I get my graduate degree with a Masters in Early Childhood Special Education. We're looking at a cruise: Disney or something other. We are wanting at least a 7 day cruise and I didn't know about the rumors for DC to be moving to the west. We live in Kansas and I'm not sure about air fares to California. I always check Orlando, b/c I'm thinking DW. Anyone have suggestions?

Disneyland is GREAT, ...it has a special magic not found at WDW

I totally disagree. There's Disney magic at Disneyland, but it hardly surpasses Disney World. I was very underwhelmed by our whole experience in California. The entire Anaheim area is practically a ghetto.

I can't believe Disney would consider taking the 7 day cruise there.

If they've gotta take something, take the 4 day cruise!!!

Originally posted by Liz924
it is not a rumor....

The newest rumor is a cruise to Bermuda from NY!!!!

I would absolutely ecstatic if this happened. I'm not to fond of flying :earseek: and the 40 minute flight from here to NYC suits me just FINE! ::yes::

The only thing I see unfair about this change of itinerary is those that are cruising right now are unable to use the onboard booking discount/stateroom credit to book a cruise during those months in the summer of 2005- atleast not unless they are doing it on a 3 or 4 day cruise on the Wonder. If they want a cruise on the Magic- regardless of where it will be cruising from- they can't book it onboard with the discount and such.... until they get it all figured out and no longer have it as a "rumor" and let people start booking.
Well, that's unfair... to those people. But I guess it's also unfair to those that have to book WELL in advance- if they wait too long to open up the dates for the cruises- even if coming out of a port in CA- then for some people it's going to be too late. So they need to hurry up and figure out what they are doing FOR SURE and start letting people book.
There's my opinion on the matter. LOL

If they've gotta take something, take the 4 day cruise!!!

Who says they arent taking the 4 day cruise away? I havent heard one thing that says Disney is ONLY going to do 3 and 4 day cruises out of Orlando. So far no one knows exactly what is going to happen except those who make those decisions. While those of you who live on the Eastern half are moaning about the cost, losing your ships blah blah blah some of us who really would rather not have to pay 1200 bucks or more every time we want to do a Disney cruise are rejoicing. I think it's rather unfair that we should have to be the ones forking out the 1000.00's of dollars just so they dont disrupt the ideal world some of you experience!

As for Disneyland and Anaheim being a ghetto I disagree! It just doesnt belong to Disney so it isnt as familiar or nice or extremely expensive! There are many things to do in California besides Disneyland. Six Flags Magic Mountain, Knotts Berry Farm, San Diego Legoland and Zoo, Universal Studios and more! We go to Disneyland at least once a year and havent ever gotten the impression that it is a ghetto. And at least if you want to get away from the Disney experience or extreme costs incurred on Disney property you can easily WALK to any number of restaurants that dont charge you 27.50 for a burger and fries (yeah I know exaggeration but you know what I mean). Newport Beach and Balboa are great places to go. I've been to the Mexican Riviera many times and while it is true it is NOT the Caribbean it is still something different to experience. If they move a ship out West then everyone gets to experience a Disney cruise if they so choose and the cost isnt as prohibitive for all of us "slummers" on the west half and those of you in the East can still cruise without having to incur the ridiculous costs involved in getting out west.

Heidi

I totally agree w/ Heidi. We have travelled to Orlando now 3 times (4 this summer on RCCL) and it is very expensive for a family of 5. $1200. plus in addition to the cruise! Not to mention the long flight which are NOT direct flights. We do it because we choose to take our cruises out of Port Canaveral but that doesn't mean we can afford the extra travelling cost. We just don't think about it and "eat it." If you know this far in advance about the itinerary change, just save more so you can allow to travel to the West Coast and you can still go in 2005.

When I first read some of these posts, I also found it selfish and snobbish. Some of you have been spoiled by living so close to the Ports that you don't want to travel anywhere else. The west coast is beautiful. Disneyland is not a slum nor does it look like a ghetto. Yes, it's not as big as Disney World but it's still a magical place. We don't cruise for the parks anyway, only for the ship/cruise experience. This summer will be our last cruise for a while as it's getting very expensive to travel so far! I hope after 2005, DCL continues to come out this way occassionally to share the MAGIC w/ the rest of the world so others can experience the ship!

Bibbidybobbidyboo,

Thank you! I just got off the 2/14 7 day, and was ready, willing and able to book. All I got was "most likely the discounts would not apply to the summer 2005" So, why would I then have the incentive to book onboard and let DCL have my deposit for 1 1/2 years? I wrote a note and attached it to my comment card, saying I felt that it was rather poor customer relations to throw this discount offer in my face, the navigator said "book ANY 7 day cruise", I have cruised 5 times now, and being a regular customer am being told I can't take advantage of the offer that is everywhere on the ship? I wonder if I will ever hear anything regarding my note? I doubt it.

Sorry for the rant and venting. I am still very perturbed about it. However this will not stop me from going on a summer 2005 cruise. :sunny:

Robin

is costing us a small car and we arent doing it very expensive either!

Airfare= 346.50 x 5 = 1732.50 (and includes 2 layovers each way taking us about 8 hours to get from Utah to Orlando with 3 kids in tow)
Transportation to POR from the airport = 50 dollars for 1 way
POR hotel for 2 days before cruise = 531.90
Tickets to get into the parks and these are just 1 day tickets = 3 adults (10 year old dd is adult now at 10) 52.00 x 6 = 312.00
2 boys are 42.00 x 4 = 168.00 so we can do 2 days at the parks

Our 1 splurge is a limo from POR to the port and back to the airport and that is $250.00 plus tip

2 Cat 8 rooms 5561.75
Tips =

Server is 25.75 x 5 = 128.75
Asst Servier is 18.75 x 5 = 93.75
Dining room head server is 6.50 x 5 = 32.50
Room Hostess is 25.25 x 5 = 126.25

All of this is before we do any excursions or buy any souveniers or drinks or anything!

The grand total is $8987.40 for the 5 of us to fly to ORLANDO and do a cruise and WDW and as you can see it is almost the price of a small car......

So to all of you who think that those of us on the W. Coast dont have to incur much cost....WE DO! If you take the airfare off for us it knocks our price down for everything else to 7254.90 AND at Disneyland we can stay in a hotel for a fraction of the cost of POR and it's just as nice AND we can walk across the street to Disney.

And I agree with tezb..it is selfish and snobbish to say that just because they live east and it's convenient for them the rest of us should pay a small car price to go!

And now I'm going to go get a stiff drink because that cost all added up made me sick to my stomach! Doing a little at a time isnt so bad but looking at 8500 dollars to do a trip and we try to do it once every 12-18 months makes me sick!

Heidi

By tezb:I totally agree w/ Heidi. We have travelled to Orlando now 3 times (4 this summer on RCCL) and it is very expensive for a family of 5. $1200. plus in addition to the cruise! Not to mention the long flight which are NOT direct flights. We do it because we choose to take our cruises out of Port Canaveral but that doesn't mean we can afford the extra travelling cost. We just don't think about it and "eat it." If you know this far in advance about the itinerary change, just save more so you can allow to travel to the West Coast and you can still go in 2005.
When I first read some of these posts, I also found it selfish and snobbish.

Well, I am glad you will be able to take advantage of this cruise when/if it happens, I DO NOT think I was selfish and snobbish, I was just bummed it happened.
As the original poster, I stated that it was my 25th annivesary, and I am a DVC owner, and wanted to use points for this happy ocassion, and I am a teacher, so summer works the best for me and my DW.
I DO take offense to snobbish and selfish!:rolleyes:

P.S. I am SURE the California cruise will be nice, but as someone said, I think the Caribbean is a little nicer, but hey, if DCL goes to Calif, as Doc would say on the DVC board---ENJOY!!!

Deerh

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter