• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Am I a joke on the Dis b/c my family chooses to stay off-site?

Well said LeesyUD. No point in getting overly upset about your choice, or what others seem to think about it. If ever I have been guilty of trying to persuade someone into making one choice or the other regarding rooms, it was because the poster came to the DIS, asked a question, and I tried to provide them with the best information. I hope they do question my opinions, and are secure enough to make their own choices. If 10,000 people say staying onsite is better, then maybe for someone who doesn't have any experience, it's a possibility to consider, but that doesn't make it the right choice for everyone -otherwise the 10,000 other hotels in the Orlando area wouldn't be able to stay in business.

I have stayed both onsite and offsite, and each has it's pros and cons. It depends quite a bit on how each family intends to spend their time. Often whe people post, they give minimal information, so it's natural for posters to project their own experience onto the unknown person.

The only thing that bothers me is people who self-righteously extoll the virtues of staying offsite, dis the idea of staying onsite, and later follow up by saying they have never actually stayed onsite. Likewise for someone who has never stayed offsite, but isn't willing to hear that there could be benefits for another family.

And the same happens with other issues as well. Personally though, I find the DIS one of the more civil boards I've seen.

MiaSRN62 said:
Hi MIDisFan !
I was in WDW and just got home a few hours ago.
We did not use the free dining because we were offsite for a part of the trip and then used DVC points for a few nights at OKW. You had to pay rack rate at a disney hotel to get free dining as well as purchase a MYW ticket (we have AP's). My friend did and liked the free dining very much. The free dining started Aug 13 and we did notice a big increase in crowds after that date. I, personally, am not sure I'd like the free dining because of how tight your itinerary would have to be. You really had to have ADR's because of how busy the parks were. Not sure I'd enjoy myself as much knowing I had to be at a certain place at a precise time for my meals ?

We went the first week of the free DDP. POP was packed, but the parks weren't too bad. We weren't planning on going this year but the free DDP changed all that. You are dead on about the ADRs. I think a lot of people didn't make ADRs, that may be why they were letting people exchange a TS for a CS and some pins or something. I felt like you about our itinerary before we arrived, but it wasn't too bad. My only complaint was that we had a large group and it would take 2 hours to get through our TS meals in most cases. Our WDW vacations tend to be more relaxing now since we have been a few times and know we will be back. Our first trip down, I needed a vacation after our vacation :rotfl:

I sure have enjoyed reading these threads about on site and off site. I have been reading to get info for our third trip to Disney in January. Yes, I am 66 and my husband 70 and we have only been to there twice - all since we turned 60. We live in NYS and never could afford the trip. First trip we went with our son and family including granddaughter who was 6. She informed me the other day she never wanted to go there again - too crowded, etc. for her. We love two of the parks - Epcot and Animal Kingdom. One day at each is more than enough. We stay off site to return to the very quiet and rest. I am sure 30 years ago I would have loved to stay onsite! This time taking two senior friends who have never been to Florida so we should have fun. It is a nice vacation from a couple feet of snow.
Elaine

kops2da said:
I sure have enjoyed reading these threads about on site and off site. I have been reading to get info for our third trip to Disney in January. Yes, I am 66 and my husband 70 and we have only been to there twice - all since we turned 60. We live in NYS and never could afford the trip. First trip we went with our son and family including granddaughter who was 6. She informed me the other day she never wanted to go there again - too crowded, etc. for her. We love two of the parks - Epcot and Animal Kingdom. One day at each is more than enough. We stay off site to return to the very quiet and rest. I am sure 30 years ago I would have loved to stay onsite! This time taking two senior friends who have never been to Florida so we should have fun. It is a nice vacation from a couple feet of snow.
Elaine
:wave2: I hope y'all have a great trip! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter