• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Am I a joke on the Dis b/c my family chooses to stay off-site?

...misleading since you were comparing apples to oranges, just as a lot of people staying offsite do, when they try to compare staying offsite in a condo to staying at a value or moderate resort
I sometimes do this because these often cost people the same amount of money. In fact, a complete pool home can cost less than a single motel room at All Stars. If a family (with this budget) really wants frequent bus shuttles, EMH and Disney music poolside more, then the All Stars may be the better fit. If they value space, excellent room amenities and privacy more (and have a car), then the pool home, timeshare condo or suite w/breakfast may be the better fit.

Likewise, I've read repeatedly that the service and amenities at the Universal hotels, Ritz and Gaylord are better than at the Disney deluxe hotels, for a similar price (or less). When people really appreciate that level of service and amenities, then offsite can truly make a better vacation. Both non-Disney offsite and Disney onsite offer themed options and concierge these days. Still, if the frequent transport, EMH and Disney music are important to someone, then they may prefer onsite.

We've stayed in OKW and BWV condos as well as offsite 5 Star and Gold Crown timeshare condos. Many are comparable, IMHO, with similar trade-offs as the other onsite-vs.-offsite comparisons, as above (ex., BWV are tiny w/loooong walk to your car but have boats to some parks and several restaurants). All depends on what you're after.

What I think is really misleading is telling people that they are missing something significant by staying offsite, as if the trip won't be Disney-enough despite spending most waking hours inside Disney parks... and saying this with such emphasis that they are discouraged from planning a trip within their budget at all. I know you didn't say this so please don't get me wrong - it's not personally directed at you. But this is the impression that I've gotten umpteen times on these DIS forums from many people and it's this impression which seems to have fueled this thread. If you don't think and post that way, that's great.

We're simply encouraging the OP (and others who have felt the ill-advised impact) not to take it to heart. It's not a joke to choose to stay offsite. It's a shame that some people write things that make it feel that way on DISboards. But when all's said and done, it's those great memories and shared family vacations that mattered, after all! And staying within a reasonable budget means we don't return home to the stress of debts and having to work extra hours away from my family to pay them off. It's so easy for outsiders to give strong onsite-offsite opinions when they're not the ones footing the bills! :eek: ;) :)

the only ones I constant tell to stay onsite are people who won't drive - or rent a car.

they don't seem to understand that Florida like the rest of the US has a pretty bad public transportation system. Which like others of its kind is mean for the workers not the general public.

one of the most often questions asked here - how to get good WDW transportation offsite. Well folks that does not exist.

if you won't or can't drive then stay onsite at WDW. you can ride in taxi or shuttles - but these are expensive. You will save money staying onsite compared to offsite if you refuse to go with a rental car.

offsite is really much, much better with a rental car.

you forgot to mention DME - this also helps people who can't or won't drive. Free transportation back and forth to WDW from the airport but only for WDW resort stays.

you forgot to mention DME - this also helps people who can't or won't drive. Free transportation back and forth to WDW from the airport but only for WDW resort stays.
I agree Pat. Good point. When calculating staying on vs offsite one should add in the extra amount of rental car to the overall value of staying offsite. Just this past August, we had friends stay onsite and use ME and wdw transportation. They had 2 rooms at POP for like $79/night. We stayed offsite for a portion of our stay and had to rent a car. Because we're a family of 5 with alot of luggage, we needed a minivan. Well....that was $475 extra for the vacation PLUS the gas & parking cost. Gas and parking was like another $90 on top of the van rental cost that our friends staying onsite didn't need to put out. So we dished out close to $575 just for our transportation cost because we were offsite---this needs to be taken into consideration vs those staying on wdw property and using the busses/monorails/ferries/ME etc. There's just simply pros and cons to staying either on or off site. We do both. People need to do what works best for them and what makes them happiest.

MiaSRN62 said:
I agree Pat. Good point. When calculating staying on vs offsite one should add in the extra amount of rental car to the overall value of staying offsite. Just this past August, we had friends stay onsite and use ME and wdw transportation. They had 2 rooms at POP for like $79/night. We stayed offsite for a portion of our stay and had to rent a car. Because we're a family of 5 with alot of luggage, we needed a minivan. Well....that was $475 extra for the vacation PLUS the gas & parking cost. Gas and parking was like another $90 on top of the van rental cost that our friends staying onsite didn't need to put out. So we dished out close to $575 just for our transportation cost because we were offsite---this needs to be taken into consideration vs those staying on wdw property and using the busses/monorails/ferries/ME etc. There's just simply pros and cons to staying either on or off site. We do both. People need to do what works best for them and what makes them happiest.

So, it sounds like the cost of the transportation pretty much equalled the cost they put out for the second room (assuming 7 nights at $79.) With that in mind, would you say that you were more comfortable in your offsite accomodations than you would be in 2 value rooms?

FayeW said:
So, it sounds like the cost of the transportation pretty much equalled the cost they put out for the second room (assuming 7 nights at $79.) With that in mind, would you say that you were more comfortable in your offsite accomodations than you would be in 2 value rooms?

Maria also owns at Sheraton Vistana - and if she stayed there - oh yea - much more comfortable.

now I love Disney - but 2 value rooms - are 2 value rooms - even the new suites at All Star - can't compare with a 2-bedroom condo.

My thoughts.....

With four young sons, staying offsite (Bonnet Creek) in our time share with 3 bedrooms is a much better option for us.

Also, hubby drives our own car down (he doesn't like to fly - 18 hr drive) and I fly with the kids....so we don't pay for a rental car.

This works for us.... :banana:

Trixie

FourBoysMom said:
Also, hubby drives our own car down (he doesn't like to fly - 18 hr drive) and I fly with the kids....so we don't pay for a rental car.

Trixie

that is the best of both worlds!!!! :cool1: :thumbsup2 :goodvibes

With that in mind, would you say that you were more comfortable in your offsite accomodations than you would be in 2 value rooms?
Definitely more comfortable. LOVE having a full kitchen, jacuzzi, balcony, washer/dryer. But my friends could care less about that stuff because we were going to let them stay at Vistana and we were going to just use our DVC points at OKW. She said she doesn't like to cook or clean while on vacation and preferred onsite. To each his own. Both of us had a great time regardless. There are just some people who don't see the benefit of staying onsite, and then there are those that don't see the benefit of staying offsite. I can truly appreciate both.

MiaSRN62 said:

I noticed you were at WDW in August. Did you or your friends happen to get in on the free DDP?

I've only stayed off-property when I was younger, and didn't have a say in where we were staying. Can anyone reccomend a good offsite property, or a good place to look for a condo or house? I would love to try an off-property site at least once, where there is more space!!

I read this thread an kind of laughed because really do people care where someone else stays or how much they spend on vacation. Aren't we just so glad to be getting to go to WDW at all. I think it's all in what you want to spend on a vacation, my family are considered lower ( real low ) middle class people but if I wanted to swing a stay at a moderate resort I could do it with planning. Now spending on a deluxe, as much as I would LOVE to it is not in my budget no matter how much I could plan, that would hurt me to spend that kind of money on a hotel room because we just don't have it. :blush:

wendy darling said:
I've only stayed off-property when I was younger, and didn't have a say in where we were staying. Can anyone reccomend a good offsite property, or a good place to look for a condo or house? I would love to try an off-property site at least once, where there is more space!!

WOW! You have a lot of WDW trips under your belt, and several planned! Frankly, I think you are a candidate for a DVC membership, given how much money you are spending in onsite hotels!

To answer your questions, you can get excellent offsite accomodations through www.skyauction.com (we've used them 3 times now, and each time the 2 bdrm condo has cost $265. (or less) for the entire week!). It is tough to get availability if you are travelling in Feb/March, or Easter. Seems to be good availability for most of the remainder of the year. If you would like to rent directly from the owners, you can use www.vrbo.com (Windsor Hills, Windsor Palms, Regal Palms (in Davenport) and Emerald Isle seem to be the most popular locations). You can get 2 or 3 bdrm, townhouse or condo sometimes for $500-$600 for the week. You can even rent homes that have a private pool.

I also use www.redweek.com. Haven't actually rented from them yet, but it is a great resource for reading reviews of the resorts and keeping an eye on rental rates. I always check out www.tripadvisor.com for reviews on any properties I am considering.

Been to Orlando for the past ten years, never stayed on site. Am I crazy as well?

wendy darling said:
Can anyone reccomend a good offsite property, or a good place to look for a condo or house? I would love to try an off-property site at least once, where there is more space!!

I agree with skyauction - great place - you click on usa/canada - then florida (not orlando)

then you are looking for either a home away (unless you need a 2-bedroom - these are generally 1 bedroom and studio -also called hotels rooms), ready set go, or a straight timeshares - timeshares say 7 nights only - they are for a week. I don't think the hotel rooms are a good buy. Also don't think the ones that include airlines are a good buy - but they made be for someone coming a longer distance. (when I fly it is SW - $195 is very high for SW)

the timeshares extra cost is $195 per week.

the hotel room extra cost is $32 per day.

here is one link
http://www.myresortnetwork.com/Florida-timeshares.asp?order=City,SortName

the city close to WDW are Lake buena vista, Kissimmee and Orlando.

this is more expensive -
http://www.condodirect.com/web/cs?a=1014&r=0.4979917449081829&saveSearch=true

if you know someone who owns a timeshare either RCI or II - then see if they will let your book a getaway with II

with RCI you are looking at last call - a better rate if you get it 5 to 2 weeks before you leave.

dennise said:
Been to Orlando for the past ten years, never stayed on site. Am I crazy as well?

hey at least one time you should stay onsite. just to see what it like. It is different.

then happily go back to staying offsite. last Aug, sept, 2007 - might be a good time because of the free dinning.

really do people care where someone else stays or how much they spend on vacation.
Surprisingly, people do. I call this the "validation effect". Oftentimes, folks on the DIS come to believe that their way of experiencing WDW is the "best" way, and so of course everyone else should do it the "best" way too. So, the more people doing things the way I do them, the better my decisions must be, right?

This shows up most often in the "Should I this or that" questions:
* offsite or not?
* dining plan or not?
* drive to parks or take disney transportation?
* CRT or Akershus or 1900 PF?
* Value or Moderate?
* Moderate or Deluxe?
* DVC or not?
* Stroller for my five year old?
* Pull my kids out of school, or go in the summer?

and the list goes on and on. These threads tend to go south in a hurry in part because---rather than focusing on the pros and cons of each approach---people get wrapped up in whether or not others agree with their own choices.

Personally, I hope that everyone wants to do exactly the opposite of what I want. That makes my own preferences cheaper and easier to obtain! ;)

We've only been to WDW once before and that was onsite (and six years ago). This time my kids are 16 and 11, and I do NOT want to be in a tiny room with a 16 y/o young man!!! I was so worried about the whole issue of missing out on some magic and also having only one bathroom. So I booked a second room, moved the ressies to Pop (to make it more affordable). But then I was worried about some things I started reading about the Pop, so I changed to a Fort Wilderness Cabin. That jumped the costs up a bit. Then I started looking at vacation homes. My 16 y/o son wanted to have a "game room" and my 11 y/o daughter wanted a private pool that she could use any time she felt like it. The planning became fun for us all and we finally found a nice house that has everything the kids wanted and has THREE bathroooms (that's what i like..also the washer and dryer). That's more bathrooms than i have at home:cool1: . Yes, we'll now have to rent a car, but I'm still under what it would have cost to have a cabin and rent the golf cart that is a real necessity when staying there. (the cart would have cost more than my rental car)!! And this way I know we will do more exploring. My kids and I have been searching the web for other interesting things to do...There is even a place not to far that gives you a ride on those wind boats..I've always wanted to do that!!! I'm really getting excited about this trip now...before I was stressing.

By the way we enjoyed our on site visit very much and if my kids were younger, I think they would rather be onsite, but after being in this vacation house, maybe not...I think they are really gonna love this.

I just wanted to say I don't think I have ever noticed anyone being "made fun of" for staying off site on the dis. The most I have ever heard was "I don't get it". Or something about missing out on the magic when you stay offsite. I don't see anything wrong with this in particular bc everyone has different opinions. If there is someone like me who has honestly stayed off site before (several times) and then decides they prefer to stay on site I think they are entitled to there own opinions. Just like someone who has done both and decides they prefer off site - they are entitled to their own opinions. I do think there are guilty parties on both ends in a way. I have heard both people that like to stay on or off site say "I don't get it." I have heard people that like to stay on site talk about how they love the convenience of disney transportation. I myself tell people that I don't think I could stay off site again bc I have grown to love Disney resorts, just like when I go to New York I like to stay at the Marriott or Hampton Inn. Everyone has different tastes. I have also heard people that stay off site say they don't get why people would pay to stay on site and that is fine too. Really i just want to say that I hope that everyone does not take this as being made fun of. If I like apples and you like oranges there is nothing wrong with that or talking about it...we just like different things.

Wow! Everyone is so defensive!! :confused3 I've stayed both off & onsite. Stayed onsite before DME. Since DME, I love not having to worry about luggage, driving a rental car & following directions to my hotel, driving to & from parks, returning the rental car! It just makes things easier. :thumbsup2 And, oh yes, I do love staying onsite just because it IS onsite! But, that's my opinion. Everybody has one! Can't we just agree to disagree? :grouphug: Where's the magic? :wizard: It's DISNEY! ;)

I noticed you were at WDW in August. Did you or your friends happen to get in on the free DDP?
Hi MIDisFan !
I was in WDW and just got home a few hours ago.
We did not use the free dining because we were offsite for a part of the trip and then used DVC points for a few nights at OKW. You had to pay rack rate at a disney hotel to get free dining as well as purchase a MYW ticket (we have AP's). My friend did and liked the free dining very much. The free dining started Aug 13 and we did notice a big increase in crowds after that date. I, personally, am not sure I'd like the free dining because of how tight your itinerary would have to be. You really had to have ADR's because of how busy the parks were. Not sure I'd enjoy myself as much knowing I had to be at a certain place at a precise time for my meals ?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter