• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Am I a joke on the Dis b/c my family chooses to stay off-site?

Mono~rail states : Would that be because of all the off-siters coming onto property and pool hopping?
I read a thread over on the resorts board that suggested this!
Believe it or not....this does indeed happen. We've witnessed it many times. Most recently, this past Aug 5, we were at SAB, going down the slide. A little boy was talking to his dad and saying "Next time can we stay at a disney hotel dad ?" They were right in front of us on the steps. The father got a little flustered and replied back to his son, "now what did we talk about ?" You knew he was trying to hush his son. The father looked right at us because he knew we knew what they had done----I just smiled back and said "your secret is safe with me". Got a chuckle out of the dad. I honestly don't know how he snuck in, because they're pretty strict at the SAB pool----we had our room keys checked that day.

I have stayed offsite 3x. I have had a little bad luck the last 2x the first time the bed linnen in the house had not been changed, pretty gross. (we knew this because there were potato chips in the bed) so at 11pm we had to wash and change sheets(mgt. co. never arrived w/new sheets) It was a beautiful house w/pool,hot tub ect. about 5min. from WDW. I would not have been able to stay in disney for the same price (I was on a very limited budget at that time). It was still a magical vaca. We had a great time, got to the parks at rope drop every day. :cool1:
The second and most recent time We stayed in a brand new TH about 5 min. from WDW The owner and mgt. co. were awesome and very nice. The developement was brand new. But there were some ant problems. The splash pool out back could not be used it was loaded with ants, as was the patio. The mgt co. came right away and sprayed but the next day there they were again :sad2: We ended up going to use the big pool which was very nice, I spoke to another renter who said he had ants inside his house and the mgt. co. they had did nothing. Did I still have a good time? You bet! It was a fantastic time, but next trip Im going to try for the free dining, I would really like to see what its like to stay onsite. Plus it will be nice to have someone else make my bed and clean my room ;) If I don't like it, Its back to staying offsite again, no biggie either way for me. Its a personal choice and I've never felt like I was being looked down upon for not staying onsite, but then again Im fairly new here on the DIS. For me either way it would be magical :wizard: It's WDW!! :tinker: ps. sorry for the long post :blush:

IMO...There's nothing better than everyone having their own space to spread out and relax after the end of a long day in the parks.
I will always choose off-site over on-site, hands down.
It's so nice to have our own pool and hot tub. We love to sit out in the hot tub at night with a drink after the kids go to bed and watch the fireworks... THAT'S magical! :love:

dkal95 said:
I totally agree. There's nothing better than everyone having their own space to spread out and relax after the end of a long day in the parks.
It's so nice to have our own pool and hot tub. We love to sit out in the hot tub at night with a drink after the kids go to bed and watch the fireworks... THAT'S magical! :love:

I could not agree more with you on that! Pina Colada's frozen out by the pool or in the hot tub at night!!! I am just thinking about our next trip the end of November! :dance3:

Mono~rail said:
I read lots of threads and people who choose to stay off-site are made fun of by the on-site guests. I don't get it. :confused3 Just because we stay at our condo doesn't mean we aren't informed about Disney. We are very aware of on-site hotel costs vs. what we paid for our time share membership. We even looked into DVC, and it just didn't make sound financial sense to buy.

We have never been to an EMH, but we have always experienced everything in each park with minimal wait times (15 min wait is too much for us :rotfl: ). In fact, we ride all the major attractions 3 or 4 times each. We've never had a problem arriving prior to opening and waiting for the rope drop.

I'm constantly picking up this tone of superiority on the Disboards from those who stay on-site. Like somehow anyone who doesn't stay on-site is an uninformed, clueless moron. :sad2:

I've noticed this too. Do what you want, its your vacation! If they want to waste all their concerns on what you're doing, let em.

I read lots of threads and people who choose to stay off-site are made fun of by the on-site guests. I don't get it.

Ya know -- mono -- I have not read a single post in this thread - but I can tell you will 100% certainty that WDW doesn't consider you - or others visiting from a non-WDW hotel "a joke" !! :)

Just go...and enjoy!...and THANK YOU for visiting! :):):)

dkal95 said:
I totally agree. There's nothing better than everyone having their own space to spread out and relax after the end of a long day in the parks.

We can also see the fireworks from our timeshare. We have a screened balcony where we just sit back with some drinks and relax as we watch the fireworks. It may not be as close, but there is something to be said about kicking back with a cold one on a lounge chair and watching some fireworks at the end of the day.
:drinking1:drinking1:drinking1:drinking1 :faint: F&W here we come!!!!!!!!

FayeW said:
Well, I am guilty of the reverse snobbery; I make fun of the folks who choose to cram their families of 4 (or 5, in some moderates!) into one room, or worse, pay for TWO rooms because they are families of 5 or 6, instead of being smart like us and having luxury 2 or 3 bdrms condos. I feel particularily intellectually superior when I think of how little I pay for my condo through skyauction. ;)

If you do a search on my username, you'll find an old thread titled "Wanna Join My Offsite Support Group?" . There are many of us who prefer offsite!

You have to be careful of passing judgement on those who stay onsite just as those who stay offsite don't like judgement passed on them.

You would be wrong to assume people staying on Disney property are crammed in their rooms. What about the 2000 sq foot grand villas at OKW and the 1 and 2 bedroom villas at all DVC properties.

It's not a matter of how Smart you are, it has more to do with personal preference and in some cases it economical. But, to each his/her own.

I have rented houses, stayed at timeshares, hotels and on Disney Property. I prefer on site. They all have advantages and disadvantages.

I would never insult a person who decides to stay offsite by thinking I am smarter or have a higher intellect then they do.

Ok I had to laugh at the comment about non Disney Resort folks going to the Disney Resort pools, just to swim. People actually do this?? And could it possibly be worth it? I mean, it's a pool :rolleyes:

Everytime we stay at our off-site resorts, we try to get a building as close to the pools as possible. We don't even want to have to drive to the end of the resort to swim, we want to walk out our door and be at the pool. It's Florida, it's hot, I want to get cooled off as quickly as possible. I can't even imagine bothering to drive to a Disney resort, just to swim. That's just crazy. :crazy:

We will probably always stay off-site, due to money and space. I can't imagine being in 1 room for 11 days with DH (The Snoremaster) & DS. That's not my idea of a vacation. :crowded: :rotfl:

Now, if I ever get the chance to take a solo trip, I will be staying at a Disney Resort, just so I don't have to rent a car and get lost driving around Orlando and just 1 room would be enough for just me. :thumbsup2

Grumpy23 said:
Ok I had to laugh at the comment about non Disney Resort folks going to the Disney Resort pools, just to swim. People actually do this?? And could it possibly be worth it? I mean, it's a pool :rolleyes:

I haven't really noticed this as a problem, but if I had to guess, I would say they are talking more about locals or people who may be staying at different Disney resorts. Like you said, I can't see people staying at offsite hotels and resorts driving to disney resorts to use the pools, except maybe SAB at YC/BC. Based on other threads I've seen, it does happen though.

Understand the OP's sentiments. There has been more than one occasion where I've seen someone who's never been to the "World" posing a question on whether you have to stay on-site to really enjoy being there. People with 3 or 4 little ones who are looking to get there as economically as possible are asking. There have been "fanatics" who tell them "you won't have a good experience", or "you won't get the full flavor of visiting Disney World" unless you stay on-site. I know I've read responses, paraphrasing, "wait until you can afford to stay on-site."

Not all of us will be here five years from now, or one year from now, or even tomorrow. Pardon me for using violence, but I just want to slap people who discourage others from having that special time just being at Disney World, by telling them they shouldn't go unless they stay at an overpriced (but wonderfully themed) motel room. (BTW, they sometimes seem to omit the occupancy restrictions at the Values which mean for a family > 4 they'd have to book 2 rooms.)

O.K., I've gotten that off my chest. :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Grumpy23 said:
I can't even imagine bothering to drive to a Disney resort, just to swim. That's just crazy. :crazy:
All the poolhoppers may not be driving to the resorts just to swim. I remember one local family that was using the BWV/BWI main pool area. They had APs and visited the parks fairly frequently. While at the parks, they liked to take a midday swim break and they did so - at Disney resort pools. They kept their swimsuits in a backpack and chose to pool-hop to a deluxe resort close to the park they're visiting that day. Perhaps other day-guests, locals or guests staying at Disney value/moderate resorts do this as well.

To the OP, there will always be people who will say they would never go somewhere if they couldn't afford to do it "right" (whatever that means to them - onsite, concierge, etc.) and they ridicule the so-called "second-rate" trip plans of others. I remember when, 25 years ago, my mother got that negative response from several coworkers about our planned trip to Europe, w/backpacks and rail passes and plans to stay in youth hostels. Today, many of those people have still never been to Europe and some have passed away. WE, however, had a terrific, amazing trip to Europe and we wouldn't have changed a thing!

My DH and I have taken our kids to many fun and interesting places in the U.S. A few were splurge trips with top-shelf accommodations. Most were spent in mid-range suite hotels, beautiful timeshare resorts and campgrounds. At WDW, we've stayed in every category of room type onsite and lots of great offsite timeshares, a few offsite hotels. If we tried to do our vacations as some of the naysayers suggested, we would have missed out on a whole LOT of wonderful, shared experiences, adventures and fun. Don't listen to them!!!! Those people are not paying your bills. They are not raising your family. They do not live with the results. You do. Enjoy the journey! :)

MIDisFan said:
You have to be careful of passing judgement on those who stay onsite just as those who stay offsite don't like judgement passed on them.

You would be wrong to assume people staying on Disney property are crammed in their rooms. What about the 2000 sq foot grand villas at OKW and the 1 and 2 bedroom villas at all DVC properties.

It's not a matter of how Smart you are, it has more to do with personal preference and in some cases it economical. But, to each his/her own.

I have rented houses, stayed at timeshares, hotels and on Disney Property. I prefer on site. They all have advantages and disadvantages.

I would never insult a person who decides to stay offsite by thinking I am smarter or have a higher intellect then they do. [/QUOT

It's odd that you would quote me, and take such offense, when it doesn't appear that you actually READ my post! If you HAD read the post, (which I have thoughtfully copied below) you would have seen that I said "...crammed into ONE ROOM...", which of course, would exclude any accomodations LARGER than a DVC studio...

It's too bad you didn't notice the "winking smilie", because I'm sure if you had seen it you would have realized that I was teasing, and my post was meant in fun. I am reassured by the knowledge that every other poster who has read it since I posted it, (what, 3 weeks ago? ) seemed to "get it".

"Well, I am guilty of the reverse snobbery; I make fun of the folks who choose to cram their families of 4 (or 5, in some moderates!) into one room, or worse, pay for TWO rooms because they are families of 5 or 6, instead of being smart like us and having luxury 2 or 3 bdrms condos. I feel particularily intellectually superior when I think of how little I pay for my condo through skyauction."

I've stayed off site a few times and on site plenty of times. Because we fly from Detroit, and because I prefer not to rent a car, and I prefer not to drive around WDW, we just stay on Disney property and we prefer to use DME, we like staying on site.

I do take advantage of EMH and I do take advantage of the Disney tranportation-bus/monorail/boat. I do sometimes take advantage of having my Disney bags sent to my resort. We do take our mid break and head back to our resort, and by staying on Disney property it is very eas for us to leave and come back to the park. I do very much enjoy the Disney's resort, it can be value, moderate or deluxe.. We don't need a big room cause there's just me and my children.

There are some advantages to staying off site, but for us, there's more pros on staying on site.

There is nothing wrong with staying off site. It doesn't make the trip less "magical." "Magic" is what you make of it. As long as you're happy and enjoy yourself with the family.. that's all that really matters. :wizard:

FayeW said:
I would never insult a person who decides to stay offsite by thinking I am smarter or have a higher intellect then they do. [/QUOT

It's odd that you would quote me, and take such offense, when it doesn't appear that you actually READ my post! If you HAD read the post, (which I have thoughtfully copied below) you would have seen that I said "...crammed into ONE ROOM...", which of course, would exclude any accomodations LARGER than a DVC studio...

It's too bad you didn't notice the "winking smilie", because I'm sure if you had seen it you would have realized that I was teasing, and my post was meant in fun. I am reassured by the knowledge that every other poster who has read it since I posted it, (what, 3 weeks ago? ) seemed to "get it".

Faye, I understand your post now just as I did when you first posted it, which by the way was less than 2 weeks ago. Just because people don't respond to your posts, doesn't mean that they get it. I just thought your reply was misleading since you were comparing apples to oranges, just as a lot of people staying offsite do, when they try to compare staying offsite in a condo to staying at a value or moderate resort. I also thought it was a little insulting to say that people who choose to rent 2 rooms aren't as smart as you. If they can afford it and wish to do it, that's their choice. Personally I would take 3 rooms at a value resort over staying offsite. There are a lot of people who are smarter than I am, so I guess if one more thinks they are, so be it.

mum4jenn said:
There is ALWAYS going to be that type of folks on here that think the only way to do things is to outspend everyone else. Try not to let it bother you and have the best fun you can and just forget about all THOSE people. :thumbsup2

You are very right, wish there werent those types of people.

MIDisFan said:
Faye, I understand your post now just as I did when you first posted it, which by the way was less than 2 weeks ago. Just because people don't respond to your posts, doesn't mean that they get it. I just thought your reply was misleading since you were comparing apples to oranges, just as a lot of people staying offsite do, when they try to compare staying offsite in a condo to staying at a value or moderate resort. I also thought it was a little insulting to say that people who choose to rent 2 rooms aren't as smart as you. If they can afford it and wish to do it, that's their choice. Personally I would take 3 rooms at a value resort over staying offsite. There are a lot of people who are smarter than I am, so I guess if one more thinks they are, so be it.

I really think you are missing the entire point of this thread! The OP expressed concern over the reaction she sees from many of the "onsite or bust" brigade who tell first time visitiors over and over again that they will NOT have a magical vacation if they DARE to stay anywhere but the hallowed halls of Disney! They MUST be "immersed 24/7" in the Disney experience, or don't even bother going! You would not believe how many times people are told they should "just wait until you can afford to stay onsite".

We ALL understand that Disney offers a multitude of accomodation choices, from value resorts, to the DVC grandvillas. While, according to you, I am comparing "apples and oranges", I respectfully disagree, and say that I am comparing "dollars and cents". The thrust of this thread is that while you can find onsite accomodations in a variety of price ranges to suit most lifestyles and budgets, the reality is that you WILL get more value for your "dollars and cents" (in terms of size, comfort and amenities) by staying offsite!

While many diehard onsite fans think that we are crazy because we are ruining our vacation and depriving our children of the onsite experience (and have no problem telling us so in the interests of being "helpful"), we, in turn, think they are a little bit nuts to spend more money to be in one room at a value than we spend for 2 bdrms, full kitchen, 2 baths and a washer and dryer in unit! This is MY opinion, stictly from a MONETARY value viewpoint.

Others place a higher value on onsite transportation, EMH,and theming, so to them, the trade off on the lesser accomodations is worth it to have access to those amenities. If I ever fall butt first into a bucket of money, and no longer have to worry about MY "dollars and cents" I'll be in a 2 bdrm at BWV (with the view, of course!) faster than you could spit. Until then I, like many others, choose to find my "value" elsewhere.

FWIW, I don't think I am "intellectually superior" because I choose offsite. It was a JOKE, I was TEASING. THAT'S WHAT THIS GUY ;) MEANS!

I have stayed both onsite and offsite - most of the time - same trip.

Offsite can be cheaper but not always - Gaylord and Ritz-Carlton were as expensive as WDW deluxe.

don't let others bother you. It doesn't matter what so and so says - but matters is what is right for you.

more than half the visitors (and more most of the time) to WDW stay offsite.

now I do love Pop and yes it has some of the best transportation at any resort.

but that doesn't mean I want to spend the money to stay there everytime.

this place I am thinking of going will be $203 for the entire week. I haven't decided yet - because it less than 3 weeks.

but sometime last minute trips are the best!!!

but even staying offsite you need to be carefully with your money. lots of offsite places aren't any cheaper than onsite unless you take the time to look for deals.

there are deals out there - but they take research. Lots of people who stay onsite don't want to bother. On they will look for a WDW discount - but that is all.

Now with really young children I recommend onsite because of the WDW transportation system. You can watch your child instead of the traffic.

I also own DVC and love it too....

skyauction, myresortnetwork, biddingshares, condodirect, vrbo, hotelkingdom - are just a few of the places to look for offsite.

Faye, Let's just agree to disagree and move onto something more constructive. I hope you and your family have many more great WDW vacations in the future.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter