• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

All resort non-smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.
(snip)
Does anyone know if you smoke in the
bathroom.....does the vent carry it straight to someone else's
room.....or outside.
Thanks
Kerri

ABSOLUTELY!!! In fact, that is the WORST place for it because of the connection of the venting system. Whenever we have smelled ongoing smoke in a non-smoking building, it has been through the bathroom vents. BTW, I once called to complain about that at OKW, and the offender was called and "reminded" that it was a non-smoking building and that they needed to go outside to smoke. It truly did surprise me when this actually happened too!

That is the best idea I have heard since reading all these pages (although most of this thread has turned into personal attacks and personal agendas and has gone way off subject). I must say though, that the course of action described above is the most logical, intelligent and accommodating to everyone on both sides of the smoker/non-smoker debate. I would even suggesting adding a higher point charge to the "smoke optional balcony buildings" (not in rooms) in order to cover any additional insurance fees (if any) which might be required. But this will NEVER happen - because it makes sense (and is a financial issue, not a health issue)

Someone mentioned allergies to peanuts (so many posts I forgot who...) - We have schools here that have a no peanut butter allowed because of this allergy and one family took it upon themselves to break this rule because they didnt understand it, the end result of this was sending a 10yo girl to the hospital who went into anaphylactic shock, and almost died simply from being in the same room as peanut butter. It hasnt happened again once people were made aware of what happened and were made aware as to why the rule was there in the first place. I also lost a friend who died from a peanut allergy, which killed him within minutes after haven taken a single bite of food cooked in peanut oil. This allergy is FAR MORE DANGEROUS than second hand smoke yet there is no ban on peanut butter (or perfumes or other medical conditions people have mentioned) so this is just one more point to prove this is strictly a "cost issue" not a health issue.

I'd like to suggest that you copy and paste that idea into an email and send it member services!

I also agree with your observation on other allergens.

The thing is, lots of our fathers are still in it, and they are lifelong smokers!!!! They are not going to be able to drop a 65 year habit just because of the whims of modern society, and all the self-righteous nonsmokers out there who whine if a whiff of smoke passes their way on a balcony.

This prevents me from taking my 80 year old dad on vacation with us, and it makes me resentful as all get out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HATE THIS POLICY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So be happy, all you people. You are denying me a vacation with my dad, who most likely doesn't have long to live. (Severe health issues.)

O-kay.......so "Modern Society" and Science has realized that smoking causes severe Health problems.

Disney only rents 3% of their rooms as Smoking rooms. So if 97% of a Society is healthy...WDW is tring to accomodate the majority....and still give those with that nasty habit a place on the site to do it. Sounds like a good deal to me.:confused3

Someone mentioned allergies to peanuts (so many posts I forgot who...) - We have schools here that have a no peanut butter allowed because of this allergy and one family took it upon themselves to break this rule because they didnt understand it, the end result of this was sending a 10yo girl to the hospital who went into anaphylactic shock, and almost died simply from being in the same room as peanut butter. It hasnt happened again once people were made aware of what happened and were made aware as to why the rule was there in the first place. I also lost a friend who died from a peanut allergy, which killed him within minutes after haven taken a single bite of food cooked in peanut oil. This allergy is FAR MORE DANGEROUS than second hand smoke yet there is no ban on peanut butter (or perfumes or other medical conditions people have mentioned) so this is just one more point to prove this is strictly a "cost issue" not a health issue.

I realize it's easy to become sidetracked when one begins looking for everything under the sun that could pose a potential threat to someone somewhere, but again let's realize... The non-smoking policy at Disney is not in effect to protect anyone from second hand smoke. It exists because ECONOMICALLY it makes the best sense for WDW. All of these other secondary arguments about perfumes, peanut butter, and pollution in general are merely ploys to deflect the issue and avoid having to defend the economic realities of smoking in today's world on it's own merits.

I have an OT question for all the smokers/non-smokers, regarding the balcony issue.

For all those that have stated they keep the Balcony doors open to enjoy the air and/or view, and that if a smoker is on a balcony close by, you have to close your balcony door, MY question is , Are you all keeping the air conditioning running while the balcony doors are open ?

I have seen many many people on our visits that just open the door for hours at a time. IF the air conditioning is continuing to be run in the villa and the doors are open, doesn't this make the A/C costs conciderably higher than it should be? Seems like the balcony smokers would be causing doors to close and save some of that electric. Just an simple question.

~DW:3dglasses

OK, honest question here (though a bit off topic): Many hotels have "cut offs" that, when the windows or patio doors open up, the AC cuts out. Does Disney have this "feature"? At least in the newer rooms? I'm just curious.

Honestly, this will be our first time, upcoming, in a DVC room. Knowing my actions directly effect my maint fees.....yes, I will likely turn the AC off when I open the door to head out to our savannah view balcony....IF Disney doesn't take care of it for me when I open the doors.

OK, honest question here (though a bit off topic): Many hotels have "cut offs" that, when the windows or patio doors open up, the AC cuts out. Does Disney have this "feature"? At least in the newer rooms? I'm just curious.

Honestly, this will be our first time, upcoming, in a DVC room. Knowing my actions directly effect my maint fees.....yes, I will likely turn the AC off when I open the door to head out to our savannah view balcony....IF Disney doesn't take care of it for me when I open the doors.

Also a bit off topic...I have stayed in hotels like those you mention. DVC properties, not even the newer ones, do not have these systems. Now, a debate may begin about whether smoking on balconies is environmentally friendly because it forces others to close their balcony doors when their AC is on. Running your AC with your balcony door open unnecessarily increases greenhouse gas emissions, increasing global warming & the resulting consequences. (This is meant to be an obviously tongue-in-cheek (at least somewhat) comment. At least, I hope it is obviously tongue-in-cheek)

I realize it's easy to become sidetracked when one begins looking for everything under the sun that could pose a potential threat to someone somewhere, but again let's realize... The non-smoking policy at Disney is not in effect to protect anyone from second hand smoke. It exists because ECONOMICALLY it makes the best sense for WDW. All of these other secondary arguments about perfumes, peanut butter, and pollution in general are merely ploys to deflect the issue and avoid having to defend the economic realities of smoking in today's world on it's own merits.
That is an excellent point and one that hasn't gotten much play on this thread. When the Minnesota legislature recently passed the new smoking ban in all workplaces, it was exactly for that economic reason. Those who work in the bars and restaurants that were allowing smoking areas, were putting their non-smoking employees at risk of more days lost to illness. That is a known fact with smoke related issues.

It only helps if they enforce it. But if they do consistently, it should help a lot.

Not difficult at all in cases that would be enough to be reported to them. I suspect there are portable detectors that can easily answer the question as well without installing a permanent detection system. But I suspect a permanent system could easily be installed for less than $100 per unit, likely significantly less.

I suspect you are right I was just quoting the prices of the systems my uncle installs I am sure there are other companies out there and many that are willing to give Disney a very GENREOUS discount just to get the product in the rooms and the press from doing so. Nothing speaks louder than an artcle in the paper about said company and the fact they installed x companies devices for whatever reason.

Also a bit off topic...I have stayed in hotels like those you mention. DVC properties, not even the newer ones, do not have these systems.

Thanks, good to know. I'll make sure to manually turn off the AC when I open the doors.

* While the timing of this does surprise me, they shouldn't have any problem deciding where and how to create smoking areas at the resorts. A company with the resources of TWDC can certainly have this addressed to a reasonable degree within 30 days. Yes there will be some initial confusion among both cast and guests, but that would be true even if they had 6 months to prepare.

The suddenness of the announcement surprises me. The actual timing for implementation doesn't...since it's easiest to fill cancelled rooms, assuming some smokers cancel, during the busy season because demand is so high. By the time the summer ends, much of the debate, if you'll excuse the pun, will have "blown over".

Like do we really think a rule-breaker is going to open their door for the CM smoking police who is now knocking on their door after someone reported them ? I predict the patio door swinging open for ventilating the villa.....the spraying of lots of Febreeze......then by the time the guests do decide to open the door (if they decide this at all), the smoke smell will most likely be disippated. Or do u think these CM's will just come barging into the room (sans search warrant ;) ) ? I'm just not seeing this as any kind of feasible reality ? I do wish there was a way to keep tabs on this because I just see more and more rooms having problems with smoke/musty smells from the rule breakers. But I don't see a CM smoking police as the answer ? I think people are going to realize they're breaking policy and just not open their door. I foresee smoking going on very early in the morning and very late at night when there is noone around to report them. This is going to lead to some smelly rooms :sad2:
Believe me, I'm very upset about this because I cannot stand smoke smell. Sets off a major migraine in me. But I don't see the smoking police as an answer ? I'd still rather have guaranteed N/S rooms.

If they don't answer they don't answer most people don't actually think about who is at the door when somone knocks and instinctivly answer it. Especially when you are on holidays. If they don't answer levy the fine and mae note of it while informing the guest via phone message or a visit later on in the evening no big deal really. You can also make not of it on their room and if they come to the front for anything talk to them then. The other thing is a little over the top but if a guest doesn't abide by the set out smoking ban and doesn't care about the fines suspend their use I am sure it would hold up in a court if they decided to try and take DVC to court over it.

Like do we really think a rule-breaker is going to open their door for the CM smoking police who is now knocking on their door after someone reported them ?

I don't believe Disney will be sending squads of "goons" out to pay a personal visit to anyone's room. It's not the way they have historically operated and I don't expect this new policy to make them react any differently. I do think a phone call reminding the occupants of the new policy will probably be one of the actions a rule-breaker can expect. And of course at check-out the room will no doubt be inspected a bit more closely.

Originally Posted by jodifla
The thing is, lots of our fathers are still in it, and they are lifelong smokers!!!! They are not going to be able to drop a 65 year habit just because of the whims of modern society, and all the self-righteous nonsmokers out there who whine if a whiff of smoke passes their way on a balcony.

This prevents me from taking my 80 year old dad on vacation with us, and it makes me resentful as all get out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HATE THIS POLICY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So be happy, all you people. You are denying me a vacation with my dad, who most likely doesn't have long to live. (Severe health issues.)

Well my dad smoked for 49 years and he dropped the habit cold turkey never looked back if he still smoked he WOULD abide by the set out guidlines at the resorts when we bring him just as he abided by them at our house and even went out away from the house in HIS OWN HOUSE to smoke when my family came over for visits. So to say it cripples your holiday enjoyment with your dad is total BS for the fact he has to vacate teh room to smoke.

We are not cigarette smokers, but DH does enjoy an occassional nice cigar. At home, he has these out on our porch. On vacation he has them out on our balcony maybe once or twice during our stay. Relaxing with a cigar and a drink is something he really looks forward to while on vacation. I have not had the heart to tell him yet about the new change.

Our upcoming trip is May 26th- June 3rd. We will be in a GV at the Boardwalk. I suppose on this trip he will smoke his cigars up until June 1 out on the balcony, so it will not effect this trip too much , but for future trips??
I would like to know if there is a place for someone to smoke a cigar other than the outside designated smoking places? Jellyrolls, or is that non-smoking?? A cigar is not a quick 10-15 minute thing and not something he needs for a habit fix. It is something he rarely gets to sit and enjoy and truly relishes while on vacation. I would just like to be able to tell him that there are options other than sitting out on a bench in front of a bldg. Is smoking allowed out by the pool or is that changing with this new policy?:confused:

I have no desire to get in on the smoking debate. I lost both parents to smoking related illnesses. I just want my hard-working husband to be able to enjoy his well-deserved vacation the way he chooses.

Well, I don't know if there are any other people in my boat or if I'm rowwing alone, but....

Hi, my name is Lisa and I'm a non-smoker. I feel mixed emotions about this announcement and here's why...I have family who smoke:-)scared1: ). They've always abided by whatever the current rules were at the time regarding where they were allowed to smoke. And now that all the hotel rooms are non-smoking they will abide by that as well. Where my quandry is, is that this is my family and I love having them on my trips to the world and what I hope is that the "designated places" to smoke are atleast conveinent.

I understand all sides, and from an owners standpoint, non-smoking will also reduce some of the wear and tear the rooms would otherwise endure. From a non-smokers standpoint, I understand all the health and surrounding issues. But, on the other side,:upsidedow , I don't want my family to feel like outcasts being banished to the furthermost regions of the property to smoke. And let's face the reality of things, the harder it is to follow a rule the more likely it will be broken.

Anyone else in the boat with me:boat: ? Life jackets will be provided. :hippie:

I'll need an extra-large...I'm a Pooh sized woman. Hopefully fat people won't be the next target of who can and can't be at Disney parks...after all, overeating is a "healthy lifestyle" issue too, I guess.;)

Maybe they will just make a rule that I have to order carrot sticks instead of fires with my burger combo meal at Cosmic Ray's.

Alas! This has simply degenerated into a 'smoking versus non-smoking' argument, and so time to bail out.

For those of you who are jumping up and down in glee about Disney prohibiting smoking everywhere in the DVC properties, the next thing Disney may prohibit could be something dear to your heart, like alcohol or perfume, or even your special coffeemaker from home (potential fire hazard).

Again, I am not talking about the hotels or resorts. Those are wholly owned by the Disney corporation, and so they may do as they wish.

I imagine that some who purchased into the DVC may well have asked the salesperson (while looking at a unit) 'is smoking allowed', and received for an answer: 'yes, on balconies or in specially designated smoking units.'

Now, after spending thousands of dollars on points, and even more money on yearly maintenance, it is no longer true. Disney apparently did not solicit opinions from the DVC members, but acted unilaterally. DVC members did not learn of the action until they saw the news in todays newspaper.

Who knows in what direction Disney will strike out next. Again, it may be something close to your heart.

I say: whether you are a smoker or non-smoker, you should be very concerned about the way Disney handled this matter, and what it portends for the future.

You're engaging in something of a slippery slope on this one. Just because Disney has made this ONE decision is absolutely no reason to assume they will later make other, far more restrictive (and much less widespread, in the industry) rules concerning the things you're talking about.

Could they? Sure. They could also suddenly decide to triple thier room rates tomorrow. Are they likely to? Probably not. The truth is, nothing about what Disney CAN do has changed since before this mandate went into effect. They've always been ABLE to make rules...but pointing to this one thing and saying it increases or indicates a likelihood to make "other rules" simply isn't logical.

you make some good points

listen i'm just using this board to vent my frustration on another restriction put on smokers. as i hope most other smokers are

i love disney and would never deprive myself or my family from going just because i can't smoke on a balcony.

do i think they could have done something different, sure
make smoking buildings, make only the top floor room smoking etc

but in the end just like every other rule for smoking either we deal with it or
stop smoking.

i just can't wait until there is nothing left to put on smokers and they start
putting restrictions on something else and than other people will see how smokers feel

exactly....
restrictions....lead to more....
we see how everyone ranted when disney tried to
feed the kids healthy food....

what if disney refused to serve fat people french fries....
cause it will kill them.....and make sick the skinny people
that have to look at them....BTW...I am overweight...
Kerri

jarestel says :I don't believe Disney will be sending squads of "goons" out to pay a personal visit to anyone's room. It's not the way they have historically operated and I don't expect this new policy to make them react any differently. I do think a phone call reminding the occupants of the new policy will probably be one of the actions a rule-breaker can expect.
Jarestel,
I don't believe "goons" will be sent out either. I was simply remarking on the comment made by F4disneyfan. I just didn't find it was going to be a feasible way to enforce the rules. So I'm with you on that. Don't see the smoking police coming to the door as F4disneyfan suggested. I was just commenting on their post.

Also, a phone call.......1)guests can simply not pick up phone/not listen to voice mail 2) guests can deny they are doing anything wrong (then get upset about being accused falsely) Is disney going to continue to insist it's them if it's not ? People do make mistakes---especially in the heat of the moment 3)guests can pick up the phone and simply ignore warning from front desk CM.

I just don't see any of it working that well. I'm sure a few will take heed, but I'd sure hate to be reported by neighbor who "thinks" it's me smoking on the balcony, when really it's the fellow next to me.....or below me.....etc (aka mistaken identity. Those OKW balconies are at angles and offset. They are much more private than the other DVC balconies imho). Is it my word against your word ? Do u see where I'm going.....

Nope, not offended. :goodvibes
That was a good suggestion about higher balcony's being smoking.
It will be interesting to see how this turns out......

:rolleyes1but that's the room I always ask for;)

There is a smoking ban close to implementation (although it had a last minute challenge) in PIT; no smoking in bars that serve a certain percentage of food and ALL area restaurants are NS; assume this trend isn't confined just to PIT & WDW.

Public service announcement--@ home I only smoked on my front porch once I had kids. One cold, blustery winter day while puffing away; a gust of wind took the ash off the cigarette and it landed on my cornea. Painful - no permanent vision loss; did have to wear a patch for weeks....my catalyst to quit.

ER & specialist both told me this happens quite frequently. Assume the ash could just as well catch surroundings smouldering; potential fire hazard. I do hope the designated areas are non-flammable and have a windbreak of some sort as in the one by Mission Space.:thumbsup2

As a DVC member, I will still be smoking in my room. I asked 3 coworkers, all smokers, and friends today (all 3 visit WDW yearly, although not all are DVC members). 2 of the three said that they will also continue to smoke and just pay whatever fine disney chooses to impose. I think non-smokers are naive to believe that this will ensure smoke free rooms. I believe it will just make all rooms smoking optional, as has been previously stated. Now I'll just factor a possible fine into the cost of my vacation. I sincerely hope that the fine will be used to properly clean the room, but I seriously doubt it.

And, if Disney finds that to be the case, and they find they are having "issues" with keeping up with clean up, or too many guest complaints about smoke smell, I think they will likely change the policy again....and levy a larger fine, until they hit a number that more of the rule-breaking guests find "uncomfortable". That's what other hotels have done...and THEY'VE found the wheelhouse Disney is using, apparently, to be effective. If Disney finds it's not....they'll raise it til it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter