• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

All resort non-smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Connor' Dad

Mouseketeer
Just saw on the DVC website that ALL resorts are going to be non-smoking as of June 1. This includes balconies and patios.

Does that mean there won't be any room designated for "smokers" ??
I'm not a smoker, so I'm fine with that, but I wonder about the "all or nothing" approach.

So happy about the balconies and patios!:yay: On one of our stays at BWV, we had a problem with our "neighbors" smoking on their balcony (which blew straight into our room!). We inquired at the front desk and at that time, they had no policy covering patios and balconies, just IN the rooms.:sad2: Glad they closed that loophole!:thumbsup2
Luckily for us, the smokers next door stayed for only a few nights! :cheer2:

Here's the post from the DVC website, in case anyone wants to see it --

New Smoke-Free Policy
All Walt Disney World® Resorts, including Disney Vacation Club Resorts, will become smoke-free on June 1, 2007. During the past five years Guest demand for smoking rooms has been declining steadily. Currently, less than 3.5 percent of Walt Disney World's 24,000 resort rooms are smoking optional.

The new policy applies to all guest rooms, patios, and balconies, and designates outdoor smoking areas at all resorts affected by the change. Smoking is currently prohibited in all lobbies, restaurants, and convention spaces. This policy will allow us to better accommodate the large numbers of Members who request non-smoking accommodations and complements our efforts to provide our Guests with the healthy living options they are requesting.

:cool1:

It states:

New Smoke-Free Policy
All Walt Disney World® Resorts, including Disney Vacation Club Resorts, will become smoke-free on June 1, 2007. During the past five years Guest demand for smoking rooms has been declining steadily. Currently, less than 3.5 percent of Walt Disney World's 24,000 resort rooms are smoking optional.

The new policy applies to all guest rooms, patios, and balconies, and designates outdoor smoking areas at all resorts affected by the change. Smoking is currently prohibited in all lobbies, restaurants, and convention spaces. This policy will allow us to better accommodate the large numbers of Members who request non-smoking accommodations and complements our efforts to provide our Guests with the healthy living options they are requesting.

The DVC Member site states:

New Smoke-Free Policy

The new policy applies to all guest rooms, patios, and balconies, and designates outdoor smoking areas at all resorts affected by the change. Smoking is currently prohibited in all lobbies, restaurants, and convention spaces. This policy will allow us to better accommodate the large numbers of Members who request non-smoking accommodations and complements our efforts to provide our Guests with the healthy living options they are requesting.​

It was just a matter of when, not if.

Marriott and Westin hotels are already smoke-free (with timeshare resorts changing to smoke-free on a slightly different schedule because of the need to involve homeowner boards). The Disney hotels at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim are already smoke-free.

So, yes, there will be no more "smoking optional" rooms (which was always seemed to be a strange term, in that smoking rooms smell bad even if nobody is smoking in them at the time).

It's now important for Disney to enforce the rule. Other chains have stiff penalties for smoking in a non-smoking room. We haven't seen that from Disney in the past.

Well, I'll be! That's really terrific news, for me anyway! I guess Dean will finally be able to retire that super-soaker!

I am so happy to hear this!!! I just hope the designated smoking areas are not in the pool area. When we were at the BW at the quiet pool a woman was smoking as she watched her kids play in the pool. There was no way around her or a way to get away from the smoke because she was walking all around the pool! I was annoyed and really wished that smoking wasn't allowed there. Hopefully it won't be and Disney will hopefully really enforse this around the resorts better than they do at the parks.

My only curiosity is, will this be another rule Disney has put into place that it will not be enforcing. Lately, there have been a number of discussions regarding pool hopping, heelies, renting commercially, and how these things are against Disney policy and rules yet are still done on a daily basis without incident. I'm clearly not stating that anyone intends on breaking this new one, BUT with so many policies in place already that aren't being enforced, will Disney enforce this one?

I'm certain with the new announcement of policy they have strong intentions yet the policy did not state what the repercussions of breaking this new policy would entail. (fines, removal from the resort,etc)

Just making a comment based on curiosity, due to all the reading of posters and personally having witnessed those who without conscience break the rules with no concideration of the exsisting rules and/or policies. They don't enforce the rules they have now, so will this new step in banning smoking be enforced?

~DW:3dglasses

This is great news. When we were at Marriott's Ko Olina in February we saw the smoking section in action. It was near enough the building that it was easy for everyone to use, but far enough away from the building and the pool to not be intrusive to non-smokers. It appeared that everyone respected it as I never saw anyone smoking elsewhere on the grounds. I hope the same will be true at Disney.

My only curiosity is, will this be another rule Disney has put into place that it will not be enforcing.

That's a good point. Disney does have many rules but few penalties for breaking them. They tend to rely on the inherent goodness of the vacationing public. I guess time will tell.

I'm certain with the new announcement of policy they have strong intentions yet the policy did not state what the repercussions of breaking this new policy would entail. (fines, removal from the resort,etc)

Just making a comment based on curiosity, due to all the reading of posters and personally having witnessed those who without conscience break the rules with no concideration of the exsisting rules and/or policies. They don't enforce the rules they have now, so will this new step in banning smoking be enforced?
You are asking the key question. ::yes::

Unlike occupancy, pool hopping, etc....smoking carries some potential liability and is in keeping with a broader public movement. So my guess is that they will try to police this a bit better than other DVC regulations.

Still, I can just see the posts now where someone asked and got permission from a CM to smoke on the balcony. :rolleyes1

You are asking the key question. ::yes::

Unlike occupancy, pool hopping, etc....smoking carries some potential liability and is in keeping with a broader public movement. So my guess is that they will try to police this a bit better than other DVC regulations.

Still, I can just see the posts now where someone asked and got permission from a CM to smoke on the balcony. :rolleyes1

I hope you're right, Granny! I know they have a hard time policing it in the parks.

Where's the ".........or else" in this policy? What happens if someone disregards the rule? Penalty? Expulsion? Ten strokes with a wet noodle?:confused3
I hope there is some consequence other than a scolding!:mad:

I can see why people don't want smokers in their rooms, but not on balconies! This is ridiculous. I'm a non smoker, but I get SO SICK of non smokers thinking they own the world.

I can see a lot of families will no longer be traveling to Disney! We won't be able to travel with several family members to DVC, because they smoke.

I think I'm going to take up smoking, and start blowing the smoke in people's faces!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter