• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

All resort non-smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Until you falsely accuse someone. Then we'll see what happens. You will at that point ruin 2 vacations. Yours and someone elses.

Sigh... :rolleyes:

So, let me get this right... maybe you can help me understand another angle to this.

I ruin 2 vacations? What happened to the person who didn't follow the rules? You are correct, it would suck to be falsely accused, but not sure it would ruin their vacation (or mine). But let me get this straight... you really think I ruin 2 vacations because I called the front desk and maybe pointed to the wrong room when someone was violating a policy?

Ok - so my option is what? Not to call until EVERYONE around me is smoking? Only call if I see the person in a closed room that isn't mine smoking? I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ here - but seriously? I ruin the vacations? What happened to the person who knowingly and willfully violated the policy?:sad2:

Chris

I am simply shocked by the people who are stating that they absolutely will not follow this rule, haven't followed it in the past, etc. It strikes me as a very selfish way to go about life. I'm just curious if these same people would sit quietly and not be offended if I decided at 2am to have a dance party in my room - thats all. I don't equate smoking to drinking - I liken it more to noise pollution. The reason I compare it to noise is because it impacts those around you. It requires the person not involved in your activity to either 'deal with it' or move/change their location.

Chris

My first post here. We bought AKV last month and I've been lurking about and learning more about DVC each day. This no smoking rule spurred me to register and contribute. I do agree completely with what Chris has said above. I wouldn't hesitate to call and complain if someone decided to get loud at 2am and the same goes for smoking.

We stayed at WL last month and were out on our balcony enjoying some food and a drink when the smell of cigarette smoke invades our space. The person next door decided to have a cig on the balcony. It was gross. It was one of these I'll stand with half of my body and the arm with the cig out the door but the rest of my body will stay inside. Real nice. Anyway, I live in NY where you can't smoke anywhere after living in Las Vegas where you can smoke just about everywhere. And I'm much happier in NY and the smoking restrictions are one of the reasons why.

For those smokers who would blatantly and flagrantly violate the no smoking policy, I am curious as to how would you react if the person in the room next door or nearby politely asked you to stop smoking because the smoke was coming in their room or the smoke was bothering them? Would tell them to butt out( sorry about the pun)? How would you react?

At this point, DVC knows who has been requesting smoking rooms in the past. So that should give them some idea about who might decide to smoke in their rooms in the future. And why pay a $250 or $500 fine just for the convenience of smoking in your room? If you avoid the fine and smoke only in designated areas, you could them spend that money on something else, like more cigarettes for example.

Going to OKW in August for our first trip home. Looking forward to it even more now because it will be smoke-free!

Which could just as easily be flipped around, since SMOKERS, not non, are the minority. If your addiction drives things enough to make you want to break the rules in place, stay home.

-- actually, the point I was making was that if someone is so hyper sensitive to smoke (any type or source), fumes (buses, cars, perfumes etc) or allergens (like ragweed and pine) that if they are only comfortable in a sterile environ, in that condition one should stay in one.

Life is filled with irritants (of all manner and sorts I might add).

No one can be protected from all possible irritants if they enter 'life' and leave a controlled environment.

I feel bad that this will restrict your ability to enjoy the resort, I really do. I wish there was a better soulution, like a smokers building.

We've decided not to take my dad to DVC. Even if there were conveniently located smoking areas (and they still don't even know where they are going to be at OKW! what lousy planning is that....) I don't want to subject my dad to the ugly vigilantism apparent on these boards, as I can see he is most likely to be harassed even when smoking in a designating smoking spot.

Thanks to those who expressed concern about my dad.

Sigh... :rolleyes:

So, let me get this right... maybe you can help me understand another angle to this.

I ruin 2 vacations? What happened to the person who didn't follow the rules? You are correct, it would suck to be falsely accused, but not sure it would ruin their vacation (or mine). But let me get this straight... you really think I ruin 2 vacations because I called the front desk and maybe pointed to the wrong room when someone was violating a policy?

Ok - so my option is what? Not to call until EVERYONE around me is smoking? Only call if I see the person in a closed room that isn't mine smoking? I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ here - but seriously? I ruin the vacations? What happened to the person who knowingly and willfully violated the policy?:sad2:

Chris

Just curious at the above statement, what are you doing looking in someones room that isn't your own.. I think they have a name for THOSE kinds of people :sad2: :rotfl:

Time to mind your own business people unless it is directly affecting you, I really don't want someone Peeping into my windows to see "if" I am breaking a rule. And I am certainly NOT going to take the time out of my day to call the front dest if Joe Blow in the 19th room down from me is smoking on his balcony.

This is just getting way out of hand.. Enjoy your vactions don't police others.

-- actually, the point I was making was that if someone is so hyper sensitive to smoke (any type or source), fumes (buses, cars, perfumes etc) or allergens (like ragweed and pine) that if they are only comfortable in a sterile environ, in that condition one should stay in one.

Life is filled with irritants (of all manner and sorts I might add).

No one can be protected from all possible irritants if they enter 'life' and leave a controlled environment.

No one is asking to be protected from all irritants. They're asking to have a reasonable control on a reasonable irritant that they have no control over whatsoever. They can't clean up the peanut mess. They can't walk away from the persons' "personal space" who has on the heavy perfume. Like heelies in the parks. Like pets in the rooms. Disney obviously views it at reasonable, and from a large enough market segment to be worthy of addressing.

And it's NOT the point...of either the thread or the rule being made. It's a nice side benefit to those that ARE hyper-sensitive, and it's a factor to be taken into consideration by those that are going to willingly break the rules already in place, but it's not pertinent to the decision itself. Again, you can easily turn around your supposition...that you should stay home if you don't want to/can't experience "life"....toward smokers. If you can't play "nice" with the majority and control your addiction enough to use the designated smoking areas, then stay home. Right?

This is about consumer demand (and a dwindlnig one for smoking room requests), and doing something to please the majority while, lets be honest here, slightly inconveniencing the minority...all while ataining positive fiscal benefits.

The "bent" of many of the posts is that the smokers rights somehow trumps the non-smokers...when, in reality, simply by the nature of them being the vast minority, it's likely to be the other way round when dealing with a business like Disney. Because the majority is spending the largest slice of the "pie".

Just curious at the above statement, what are you doing looking in someones room that isn't your own.. I think they have a name for THOSE kinds of people :sad2: :rotfl:

Time to mind your own business people unless it is directly affecting you, I really don't want someone Peeping into my windows to see "if" I am breaking a rule.

Ok - misunderstanding here. My comment was rhetorical based on a response from ddave saying I would be ruining vacations if I called the front desk when I smelled smoke (and possibly accussed the wrong room).

My point to ddave was to find out what I should do in that situation. Nothing? I smell smoke in my room, its affecting me - but ddave states I'm going to possibly ruin vacations by calling the front desk. The rhetorical question was what are my options? Look in windows when I smell smoke...

Please don't misunderstand or misrepresent what I was saying. That comment was taken out of context.

Chris

My first post here. We bought AKV last month and I've been lurking about and learning more about DVC each day.
Welcome home, Robo-Daddy.

At this point, DVC knows who has been requesting smoking rooms in the past. So that should give them some idea about who might decide to smoke in their rooms in the future.
I suspect they also know who has smoked in a nonsmoking room in the past.

Ok - misunderstanding here. My comment was rhetorical based on a response from ddave saying I would be ruining vacations if I called the front desk when I smelled smoke (and possibly accussed the wrong room).

My point to ddave was to find out what I should do in that situation. Nothing? I smell smoke in my room, its affecting me - but ddave states I'm going to possibly ruin vacations by calling the front desk. The rhetorical question was what are my options? Look in windows when I smell smoke...

Please don't misunderstand or misrepresent what I was saying. That comment was taken out of context.

Chris

And what will you find to complain about if the smoke is coming in from the smokers in the smoking area out in front of your room?

At least one report is that's where the smoking areas are at OKW....

Interesting that the new Vacation Magic email is silent on the new draconian smoking rules....

The same points are simply being presented over and over. This thread has run its course.

Discussions of the new smoking policy is a WDW wide topic. Thus, smoking/non-smoking discussions no longer meet the DVC specific posting criteria for the DVC forums.

Thank you all for participating, but smoking/non-smoking policy threads will no longer be appropriate on the DVC boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter