ABCs of A Trip Worth Waiting For + PNWMM: P: A Practically Perfect Pacific NW Mouse Meet- pg. 26

If I could make it, I'd hoard it.

I could really use some sleep...

Nah, I'd share it with you. :)

No.... really?

You can just picture it, can't you? Struggling with all my might to heft the king-sized bed over to the door, can't you? Veins in my neck bulging, face red, inch by inch making progress....

What?!?!?!? You do????? That was eons ago!

Mhm... I do.

What kind of TR writer are you?!?!?!?

I really, really bad one, but that's beside the point.

The one *you* pointed out?

Well, technically yeah. But again, that's beside the point.

You may want to rethink that answer. Just sayin'.

I"m so confused.

Somehow I totally missed that you had started this TR. I'm sorry, Liesa!

That's what happens when you go on vacation. Don't let it happen again. Well, unless of course your next trip is over here.

Thank goodness. Otherwise, I serve no purpose here.

Except to verify that my stories check out, apparently.

Story checks out.

See?

And it's true. My laptop STILL hasn't been delivered to me! Although UPS tracking says by Monday. (That was yesterday and it was 2-day air. Am I missing something?) Good news is that they replaced the entire screen and hinge mechanism. Bad news is that I'm pretty sure it was an OS or software problem. I'm not hopeful.

Ew. We're talking Super 8 territory here.

Yep!

If Pizza Hut is the answer, we probably don't want to know the question.

Simple question: Just how hungry was Steppe?

Who knew they could crank out tasty pizza?

It's not bad in a pinch. Honestly haven't had in literally YEARS. It's certainly not homemade or VN or Christos. But then again, Christos nearly killed me last time; I'll take mediocre over death any day of the year.

Oh my. Lots of rooms getting pizza deliveries, then?

:rotfl2: Sooo many honeymoon suites.

D'oh! Poor Brian.

Brian was probably wandering the terminal with a forlorn and downcast demeanor. Then again, that coulda been anyone, since anyone there probably had to get up at 4:30 to make their flight.

Me too. Is she more out of the woods now? I hope she's doing better.

We all thought so until she was diagnosed with C-diff last week. All the antibiotics (or possibly a moron from the hospital or rehab center not washing their hands) wiped out her good flora making way for nasty beasties to flourish and cause.. bad things. I honestly, I mean seriously, do not even know if there a complication left for her to suffer through. :faint:

Last edited:
Nice digs at the Ramada, huh? We stayed at that very place when we came to town last Summer. We got in really late and opted to stay near the airport before heading to Salem in the morning. Just sleeping, so why not go cheap, right? And it looked much better on line. Scarey place but nice staff.

I'm glad your mom is okay. Nice you could take time to be there to help.

Loved your drive down memory lane. Some of your description feels somewhat familiar even though I did not grow up there. Just the small town America feel from a simpler time. Great pics and narrative. I can almost smell the orange blossoms.

Oh oh, not another lost electronic item

That is a nice storytelling of your days when you lived in SoCal. That is very interesting about Helmet Ryan Airport being the modeled after DCA Grizzly Peak Airport. You took some very nice pictures.

We all thought so until she was diagnosed with C-diff last week. All the antibiotics (or possibly a moron from the hospital or rehab center not washing their hands) wiped out her good flora making way for nasty beasties to flourish and cause.. bad things. I honestly, I mean seriously, do not even know if there a complication left for her to suffer through. :faint:

Oh no! I hope she is going to get through this now without any further complications!!

OK, really trying to catch up around here, I think I have one more to go after this one. I'm glad you made it safe to California, although I already knew that. :)

That was one packed day. LAX to Beaumont is quite a drive! Then down to Hemet and back to Anaheim. So nice that your family got together all for you, and you had a nice home cooked meal. Interesting stories you shared with us as well. OK. Now I'm caught up here!

Starting my birthday early with a hop in the jacuzzi and then off to a massage!

So sorry to hear about this. I hope that she is doing better by now.

Despite the week of more hard things than fun, the time did go by quickly

I can't even imagine. :hug:

My childhood home was breathtakingly beautiful in its heyday. Vast orchards of apricots, olives and orange groves filled the picturesque little valley, while looming to the east stood Mt. San Jacinto tall, proud, and occasionally even snow-covered. The Valley was removed just enough from the LA urban sprawl in the late 60-80s that the smog rarely clogged up our air. Everyone knew each other, mobile home parks outnumbered the gangs, and we didn’t have a mall until 1980 or so. We affectionately called it "The Small".

Sounds really wonderful. No kidding.

I grew up riding my bike all over town without the fear of foulplay,

I did too. Well, except for that one time I thought I might be (literally) murdered.

We had TPing-Each-Other’s-Houses Wars every weekend,

:laughing:

I could not have asked or wished for a better place to grow up.

It sounds idyllic.

Sadly, Hemet has turned into a cesspool of filth, gangs, urban sprawl, and crime.

Ugh. That's really a shame. Seriously.

Some parts of Mother Nature are hard to kill off.

Despite our best efforts.

Perhaps it is also that innate call to revisit one’s roots and find solace in the fading, yet familiar, places that still draw you there.

Yeah, I get that. I drive over to my grandparent's place every now and then.

th

Niiice. Always wanted a Porsche. Not necessarily a Panamera, but... I wouldn't say no to one.

I haven’t gotten to hit triples in a car in quite a while

When was the last time you did?

Worth the risk of missing my flight due to an unfortunate citation? No, probably not.

mmmm... I dunno about that. Tough call.

But I still enjoyed a real-life spin on Test Track.

:laughing: I bet!

Better yet, if someone were to offer me a Corvette, I’d say yes faster than the IRS can find a auditable mistake on your return.

Yes. We do know this fondness you have for Corvettes.

I lament the fact that a Bloody Mary was going to cost more than my kids’ orthodontia work, so, I reluctantly passed.

Something is just not right with this picture.
Give the woman her alcohol!

Checking to see I had my OWN carry-on :rolleyes:

:rolleyes1

I gathered my once-again-TSA-pilfered, checked bag

Again? What is with that?
Did you used to smuggle moonshine or something?

MY HEAVENS! What was THAT?! That glorious yellow orb in the sky? Shut the front door- it’s the life-giving, joy-inducing, spirit-lifting thing we call the… Sun.

You need to get out of Oregon more often.

Applebees sucks,

A name that starts out nice but then takes a dangerous turn.

I got a salad which is pretty hard to mess up no matter WHO you are.

You've never had Ruby cook for you obviously.

The one memory we both look back fondly on was the time we built a giant snowman and then dumped antifreeze all over it turning it a glorious shade of pink. That was before there was the child abuse cops, environmental police, and other fun crashers.

:lmao: The anti freeze didn't melt it?

she was planning dinner for me and EVERYONE was coming over- that’d be about 15-20 people!!

Holy party!

I was TIRED!! (Remember that! It may save me from yet more flaming.)

Probably not.

Beautiful.

I am still a bit sad that I missed, for the most part, this year’s SoCal wildflower superbloom.

Oh, that's too bad. :(

I am thrilled that this particular one has a personal connection to me.

Oh? That's so cool! Never knew it was based on.... anything.

You see, I grew up watching those slurry bombers working the fires we’d have every fire season. Over and over they’d circle to refuel and refill, countless times buzzing our house en route to their destination. More than once, brush fires came close enough to our house to have the pink “MUD” spray our own roof.

Cool too. Unless you're working and they all want to come in to refuel at the same time...

I’ll never forget the time my grandpa flew into the airfield for a weekend visit, I think for a Thanksgiving, and after a couple of days went to get his plane and fly to a business meeting, only to find his plane gone. Who the heck steals a plane?!

Oh! That would be the “Mexican drug cartels”. Funny thing is, when he received news that his plane was found by American authorities, it was in the possession of a local Mexican Police group. LOLOLOL! Made us wonder exactly WHO the Mexican drug cartels really were….ahem.

:laughing: I'm sure it was just a little mix-up. :rolleyes1

Now, Ryan Airfield is the home to hobbyists restoring historical aircraft, pleasure pilots and other small craft.

IMG_9738.jpg

You consider that a hobbyist aircraft???

That's just a crying shame.

yes there was a reason Soarin’ flies over my house and pumps in orange scent! Yes, for real!

No way!! That's so cool!

Only a few times did we find dead rattlers in our pool filter

Eep!

Continuing on my journey through once-upon-a-time, I drove up the hill from my childhood home to the site of the “Ramona Bowl”. This is the site of the outdoor play adaption that has shown every single year since 1923.

Huh. This place is bursting with history.

I took a couple of photos of the view from up there and then wandered finding some wildflowers carefully watching my step as it was then full-on snake season.

:sad2: At least you can see a polar bear coming.

Love that one.
Always been a sucker for macro.

Lastly, just next door, sharing the same parking lot, is where I dabbled in community theater for a little bit. I remember being a bit part in Taming of the Shrew and playing my flute as part of the little Renaissance band for intermission entertainment. Fun little hobby for a kid.

Huh! More of Liesa we get to learn.

(I used my camera- remember that.):

As opposed to a sketch pad. Got it.

I remember the first time we went to Florida. I was amazed when I saw real oranges in trees.

One of the kids even gave me a foot massage, and I got to hold the newest baby in the family. So sweet! (Glad it wasn’t mine!)

FullSizeRender.jpg

You certainly look happy!

My aunt’s sister showed up and we both remember her babysitting me as a very young kid when I’d take trips back to Ohio to visit my grandparents. That, Folks, was a hella long time ago!

Nah. I don't consider 20 years as all that long.

Nah, I'd share it with you. :)

Thanks!

You can just picture it, can't you? Struggling with all my might to heft the king-sized bed over to the door, can't you? Veins in my neck bulging, face red, inch by inch making progress....

:sad2: No. Actually, I can't.

Mhm... I do.

Whoa. That was wayyyy before I met you.

I really, really bad one, but that's beside the point.

pffttt... you're numbers (and readers) say otherwise.

Well, technically yeah. But again, that's beside the point.

Well, that's convenient!

I"m so confused.

Good! Why should I be the only one?!?!?

Okay re's the deal. I don't know about now, but when I was growing up in SoCal, EVERYTHING was called a "Coke". When we asked our friends if they wanted to go out and grab a soft drink, we'd say, "Hey wanna grab a Coke?" So, it's all the same to me, unless I am asked to .

We did the same in Southern Oregon

"Want a coke"?
"Sure"
"What kind"?

Hi
Just read your latest update Hemet looked a great place to grow up in.Not many places like it left now to grow up in for today's kids.Reminds a bit like the community's that are still portrayed in Hollywoods films as the greal Amercan life.Everything moves on but not always for the better.It must have been good to have oranges and similar fruits avaliable just to pick of the tree.Your free aircraft display nearly every day in the dry season would have been great to watch as well.Your photos make it verry picturesque area, what a play ground it must have been to grow up in.

Nice digs at the Ramada, huh? We stayed at that very place when we came to town last Summer. We got in really late and opted to stay near the airport before heading to Salem in the morning. Just sleeping, so why not go cheap, right? And it looked much better on line. Scarey place but nice staff.

Yeah, never again. Just too dicey. And worse, no food. LOL! I think next time, I'll aim for a bit closer to the airport itself; I think there's a Hyatt that looks decent.

I'm glad your mom is okay. Nice you could take time to be there to help.

I'll be back there again in June, and I think it'll be a much nicer visit!

Loved your drive down memory lane. Some of your description feels somewhat familiar even though I did not grow up there. Just the small town America feel from a simpler time. Great pics and narrative. I can almost smell the orange blossoms.

Glad you enjoyed that. I think a lot of people from our generation look back with wishful thinking that somehow things hadn't changed quite to drastically.

Oh oh, not another lost electronic item

Well....

That is a nice storytelling of your days when you lived in SoCal. That is very interesting about Helmet Ryan Airport being the modeled after DCA Grizzly Peak Airport. You took some very nice pictures.

Thanks, Bret! I loved living there and sometimes sure wish I still did. Thanks! I really enjoyed my visit and hope it showed through the narrative and photos. :)

Oh no! I hope she is going to get through this now without any further complications!!

Me too! Just so many on top of one another!

OK, really trying to catch up around here, I think I have one more to go after this one. I'm glad you made it safe to California, although I already knew that. :)

Yes, I'm pretty behind too, and since I work more than I have been lately this week, I'm about to get behinder! ;)

Safe and sound and having a ball! IF I'd had oooone more day, I'd have gone to Borrego, but it wasn't to be.

That was one packed day. LAX to Beaumont is quite a drive! Then down to Hemet and back to Anaheim. So nice that your family got together all for you, and you had a nice home cooked meal. Interesting stories you shared with us as well. OK. Now I'm caught up here!

Luckily the traffic was no issue at ALL. Smooth sailing all the way in!

Glad you enjoyed the stories. :) More to come soon.

Starting my birthday early with a hop in the jacuzzi and then off to a massage!

Lucky ducky! I'd die for a jacuzzi and massage right now. I spend a few hours weeding day before yesterday and my whole body is revolting. You can take that in any sense you'd like. ;)

So sorry to hear about this. I hope that she is doing better by now.

She's much better since taking the round of Flagyl. Back to lunch dates with her friends, and going to Nashville for day trips.

Sounds really wonderful. No kidding.

It was! No kidding.

I did too. Well, except for that one time I thought I might be (literally) murdered.

Wanna tell my readers a story while I toddle off to work? (Someone's gotta keep them entertained.)

It sounds idyllic.

Curious. Did you use that word intentionally with a motive other than being a great descriptive word?

Despite our best efforts.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, I get that. I drive over to my grandparent's place every now and then.

Is it much the same? Have you ever asked if you could go in?

Niiice. Always wanted a Porsche. Not necessarily a Panamera, but... I wouldn't say no to one.

They are certainly beautiful cars. The butt warmer was probably the nicest feature that day after the horseys.

When was the last time you did?

Hmmmm probably in one of these:

th

on my way to my Senior Prom on I-10. A Volvo P1800 circa 1962.

Or maybe in one of these:

th

driving to Anza from Hemet a few years after I started college on one of my trips home. Dad sold it shortly after. (A Mercedes Gullwing 300SL, circa 1954. Wish he'd kept it; they're worth around $830,000 now.)

mmmm... I dunno about that. Tough call.

I'm one of those who WILL volunteer to bump for a free flight. Especially if I don't have a hard commitment to be somewhere.

Yes. We do know this fondness you have for Corvettes.

If Santa would only bring me one of these:

th

Something is just not right with this picture.
Give the woman her alcohol!

:rolleyes2

How is that any worse for you than a couple of doughnuts and bacon?

Again? What is with that?
Did you used to smuggle moonshine or something?

Nope. Wrong area of the country. Which is interesting. Every time I visit my folks, Dad insists I watch at least one movie and it's almost always a film noir or an oldie of some sort. Last year it was a movie called Thunder Road which was story about the route used to transport Moonshine in Eastern Tennessee. Good movie if you're interested in that piece of Americana.

http://gtotd.blogspot.com/2007/11/true-story-behind-thunder-road.html

You need to get out of Oregon more often.

Well, this is a given.

You've never had Ruby cook for you obviously.

That bad, huh?

:lmao: The anti freeze didn't melt it?

Yeah, it did, but it sure was cool while it lasted!

Probably not.

Great. Fastens seatbelt.

Oh? That's so cool! Never knew it was based on.... anything.

Most Disney "stuff" is. LOVE my Imagineering Guide Books!

Cool too. Unless you're working and they all want to come in to refuel at the same time...

I'd think they'd stagger their drops purely to avoid this scenario. Seems like pretty basic staging to me? :confused3

:laughing: I'm sure it was just a little mix-up. :rolleyes1

Mhm. Sure. I'm certain a plane with a tail number with an 'N' in front is exactly what belonged in the service of Mexican "authorities".

You consider that a hobbyist aircraft???

I doubt it flies much.

That's just a crying shame.

I know! :sad1:

:sad2: At least you can see a polar bear coming.

Awwww, cute little teddy bears. I'm sure they're quite safe.

Love that one.
Always been a sucker for macro.

Me too! <opens tab to price macro lenses>

Huh! More of Liesa we get to learn.

Oh the stories I have to tell....

I remember the first time we went to Florida. I was amazed when I saw real oranges in trees.

Did you pick one and eat it?

You certainly look happy!

Love me some baby holding!

Nah. I don't consider 20 years as all that long.

:hourglass Time marches on....

Last edited:
Good! Why should I be the only one?!?!?

Awesome! We can share a tender moment of mutual confusion.

We did the same in Southern Oregon

"Want a coke"?
"Sure"
"What kind"?

See?! I"m glad I"m not the only one.

Hi
Just read your latest update Hemet looked a great place to grow up in.Not many places like it left now to grow up in for today's kids.Reminds a bit like the community's that are still portrayed in Hollywoods films as the greal Amercan life.Everything moves on but not always for the better.It must have been good to have oranges and similar fruits avaliable just to pick of the tree.Your free aircraft display nearly every day in the dry season would have been great to watch as well.Your photos make it verry picturesque area, what a play ground it must have been to grow up in.

Hey Stuart! :)

No, you're right, there aren't. You'd have to go to, ohhh, I dunno, Central Texas or Wyoming or the Dakotas or Montana. But those places I'd imagine have a hard stop on ourdoor fun around say, October. Well, I mean unless you sent the kiddies out to freeze to death.

It was great to have that Fire Base there. Fun to watch the planes come in and do their thang. :) All around us there was history (as in ancient petroglyphs), hiking in the hills, and if we wanted a day out with more options, we'd drive to San Diego.

Wanna tell my readers a story while I toddle off to work? (Someone's gotta keep them entertained.)

Nah. I'll pass on that one. Depressing.

Curious. Did you use that word intentionally with a motive other than being a great descriptive word?

Yes I used that word intentionally.
It really does sound magical.

Is it much the same? Have you ever asked if you could go in?

No. It's changed quite a bit.
And... that's just not something I'd do.

They are certainly beautiful cars. The butt warmer was probably the nicest feature that day after the horseys.

My favourite feature of my car. Heated seats. Love 'em.

Hmmmm probably in one of these:

th

on my way to my Senior Prom on I-10. A Volvo P1800 circa 1962.

Or maybe in one of these:

th

driving to Anza from Hemet a few years after I started college on one of my trips home. Dad sold it shortly after. (A Mercedes Gullwing 300SL, circa 1954. Wish he'd kept it; they're worth around $830,000 now.)

You've been in some nice sets of wheels!

I'm one of those who WILL volunteer to bump for a free flight. Especially if I don't have a hard commitment to be somewhere.

I won't. I usually have wayyyyy too much jam-packed in to the schedule.

If Santa would only bring me one of these:

th

Santa ain't got that kind of coin.

How is that any worse for you than a couple of doughnuts and bacon?

Good Lord! Who eats bacon and doughnuts together???

That bad, huh?

Oh, no. I exaggerated.
She's much worse.

Great. Fastens seatbelt.

:rolleyes:

I'd think they'd stagger their drops purely to avoid this scenario. Seems like pretty basic staging to me? :confused3

Uh, huh.... That was the busiest day of my career.

Mhm. Sure. I'm certain a plane with a tail number with an 'N' in front is exactly what belonged in the service of Mexican "authorities".

Just a typo. They thought it was a "M" for Mexico.

I doubt it flies much.

Who could afford to!

Awwww, cute little teddy bears. I'm sure they're quite safe.

Uh, huh.... Sure....

Me too! <opens tab to price macro lenses>

:laughing:

Did you pick one and eat it?

No. Private property.

Awesome! We can share a tender moment of mutual confusion.

:thumbsup2 or thumbs down. Whichever is appropriate.

Before I comment on your last update I have to tell you, every time I read "A Trip Worth Waiting for ..." my brains sings "A Girl Worth Fighting for. ." cause we watched Mulan a few days ago.

I grew up riding my bike all over town without the fear of foulplay, we rollerskated on Friday nights,

Me too! I miss the "Be home when the streetlights come on." I'm so sorry my kids didn't have this.

and yet, it still has some of that natural beauty that I remember so vividly.

All the pictures you posted are just gorgeous! What a wonderful sight to see growing up.

My ride for the short trip to the airport (usually an hour, but today much less) was in one of these:

I'm thinking you get your love of cars from your Dad. He certainly has owned some nice ones.

I gathered my once-again-TSA-pilfered, checked bag and headed to find the rental shuttles.

The TSA really seems to like you.

he informed me that she was planning dinner for me and EVERYONE was coming over- that’d be about 15-20 people!!

I love big family dinners where old memories are shared and laughed over.

It’s still quite picturesque in the grand landscapy scheme of things, and I found a few photo opps along the way towards my family’s home.

Again beautiful landscapes.

Only a few times did we find dead rattlers in our pool filter.

Yikes!

Dinner was fun!

I'm glad to hear it. Your day way perfect. A little trip down memory lane and good food and great family time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter