A tale of Magic Express, lost luggage and paranoia

JulieBeeRN

DIS Veteran
DVC Silver
We are taking ME for the first time on Saturday to GF and taking the DCL transfer to PC on Monday. Normally we use a rental car but are using ME to save money plus it’s only for 2 days. I have a somewhat irrational fear that our luggage will be lost or misrouted and we will not have our luggage in time for the cruise.

Once, I didn’t have my luggage for 5 days in London and still have PTSD from the entire ordeal. I was SO angry when I had to call the airport every day about my luggage, yet instantly put into a good mood when Steve (at Heathrow) called me “love” in his English accent. But I digress... 😁😁

It’s so tempting to use the tags, not worry about lugging our suitcases around and hit the MK straightaway. Our flight arrives at 1pm so we have plenty of time before our room will most likely be ready. I assume the luggage system is fairly reliable (ie no more or less than the airlines). On the off chance that our luggage would be misplaced, do you think the chances are decent they could get the bags to us by Sunday? Just curious on the thoughts from ME veteran.

We are taking ME for the first time on Saturday to GF and taking the DCL transfer to PC on Monday. Normally we use a rental car but are using ME to save money plus it’s only for 2 days. I have a somewhat irrational fear that our luggage will be lost or misrouted and we will not have our luggage in time for the cruise.

Once, I didn’t have my luggage for 5 days in London and still have PTSD from the entire ordeal. I was SO angry when I had to call the airport every day about my luggage, yet instantly put into a good mood when Steve (at Heathrow) called me “love” in his English accent. But I digress... 😁😁

It’s so tempting to use the tags, not worry about lugging our suitcases around and hit the MK straightaway. Our flight arrives at 1pm so we have plenty of time before our room will most likely be ready. I assume the luggage system is fairly reliable (ie no more or less than the airlines). On the off chance that our luggage would be misplaced, do you think the chances are decent they could get the bags to us by Sunday? Just curious on the thoughts from ME veteran.
if your bag/s are missed sent by airline you would know that because case would not show up at claim if you pick up there. would guess it should catch up with you before you leave for cruise. only thing I would do is make sure everyone has stuff in each case or take 2 cases for that reason

As is always recommended, each person should have a carry-on bag, with all of your necessities, including medications and anything else you can't be without, for the immediate time, should your bags be delayed. If you want to feel more secure, just collect your checked bags at MCO, and bring them on the motorcoach on your ride to the resort. There is plenty of room in the bus undercarriage luggage compartment, for your larger bags. Another tip is to make sure that you not only have an ID tag on the outside of your bag, but inside, as well. List a mobile phone number on each tag.

I honestly believe you will not have any problems, but it's good to think about these things upfront. If your room is not available upon arrival at the resort, Bell Services will safely hold onto your bags. You can either collect your bags, once your room is ready, or you can request the bags be delivered to your room; you will need to be in the room to receive your bags, if they are coming from Bell Services.

I’m sure it would be fine but I’m one of those people who like to know where luggage is at all times. When we do ME I never put the tags on. I pick up at carousel and take on bus with me. I’ve had luggage lost in a few places, always before getting on a cruise.

Once in Nice when our bags didn’t make the connection in Paris. They arrived at the airport one hour before we had to be on a ship. And another time in Cape Town where we thankfully had a one night layover on the ship before it left port and they came first thing in morning of the day we were leaving. I’ve been on cruises where a woman didn’t get luggage the whole time. She wore the same clothes every day for over a week. I would have at least bought new stuff!!!

We are going to Africa for 17 days at the end of March. we are only taking carryons because we have two connections on Ethiopian air with 23 hours of travel and I couldn’t stand the tension not knowing if they will be there in Johannesburg when we finally arrive. I’d much rather pay for laundry service than have that anxiety

Needless to say I feel your pain.

Since we largely stay on resort, we have traveled with Magical Express 5 times since it first started, so I believe our first taste was my 2006 trip to AKL. It had been Mears for us up to that point. I can cheerfully say we have never had an issue. We have had longer than expected luggage arrivals to the resort, but never anything lost. Our 2013 trip to AoA had our luggage showing up about 5 hours-ish after our arrival and we were dressed for cooler Maine weather, so from that experience we have learned to pack for the first hours at WDW with backpacks: shorts, toiletries, etc. Anything we might need before the bags arrive.

Our November 2019 trip had the luggage to the room around 3 hours, which is spot on service. We rode the Skyliner and enjoyed the sites and had our small bags with hotel necessities just in case.

Last edited:

Thanks for the suggestions! I think that I already knew the answer to my question but it was nice to get some feedback. We are going back to WDW in a month and are taking the ME again. I will use the luggage system on that trip since we are staying for 10 days and I don’t care if our luggage gets misplaced.

After the England debacle, I always bring a few days worth of clothes in my carryon.

I’m sure it would be fine but I’m one of those people who like to know where luggage is at all times. When we do ME I never put the tags on. I pick up at carousel and take on bus with me. I’ve had luggage lost in a few places, always before getting on a cruise.

I LOVE that now you can track your bags with the United app. My husband thinks I’m crazy when I constantly update him on the location of our luggage. :rotfl:

I wouldn't stress that much. Are you on a non-stop domestic flight? Is there another flight that day? Agree that the United app is pretty cool. Even if using Magical Express, you can still at least check to see if your bags made it to MCO via the United app.

I LOVE that now you can track your bags with the United app.
This I wish we could do via the Disney Experience app but for Magical Express. It would be awesome to even just get a message that says "Bags are delivered," because we tend to arrive in the early evening and don't go to the Parks. We just eat dinner, wander around, and ride the Skyliner (like we did in November). This then tells me our wandering is done, lets go to the room and unpack.

Been taking ME several times a year since it began and never had an issue with lost luggage.

However, in your circumstances, if you are even a smidge worried, check it yourself without the ME tags and retrieve your bags from the luggage carousel when you arrive.

All of life's problems should be so easily solved! LOL

yet instantly put into a good mood when Steve (at Heathrow) called me “love” in his English accent. But I digress... 😁😁

and now I want to have my bags London so I can have that experience. :)

After the England debacle, I always bring a few days worth of clothes in my carryon.

With a short Orlando stay and a cruise, I’d make sure you havenighttime stuff, one change of clothing, and the necessities for the cruise. For me that’s swimsuits, coverups, sunscreens, sunglasses, kindle, and one outfit for dinner with shoes. That’s all i NEED. Everything else is extra. :)

I LOVE that now you can track your bags with the United app. My husband thinks I’m crazy when I constantly update him on the location of our luggage. :rotfl:

Delta does it, too.

Do you really need a suitcase or can you make it with a carry-on? How long is your trip? I never need more than a carry-on and a purse for 1 or 1.5 weeks going somewhere warm. I only need to check luggage for ski trips because we bring skis, helmets, boots, layers, etc. For warm weather, I bring just a few tops, white jeans, a dress, toiletries, sandals, bathing suits (I bring 2 or 3, they take up little space), chargers. On the plane, I wear dark pants, sneakers, a cardi, a shawl.

Do you really need a suitcase or can you make it with a carry-on? How long is your trip? I never need more than a carry-on and a purse for 1 or 1.5 weeks going somewhere warm. I only need to check luggage for ski trips because we bring skis, helmets, boots, layers, etc. For warm weather, I bring just a few tops, white jeans, a dress, toiletries, sandals, bathing suits (I bring 2 or 3, they take up little space), chargers. On the plane, I wear dark pants, sneakers, a cardi, a shawl.
Some people like to change their clothes a little more often. I personally don’t want to do laundry while there either.

My point is, think about what you will really need for a warm weather vacation. You spend a lot of time wearing bathing suits, with maybe a cover up. That does not take a lot of space. Lightweight tops and dresses don’t take up a lot of space. I’ve definitely been able to pack what I’m going to wear for each day of a cruise in a carry on. And no, that does not involve wearing smelly or dirty clothes.

Good for you. Again, I was saying personally I need a suticase and not a carry on for enough clothes so I don’t have to do laundry. No mention of wearing smelly or dirty clothes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter