A little perspective on FP+

DavidNYC

DIS Veteran
Looks like the Mayans were slightly off. Apparently, based on reading this board, the real end of the world will be the day that FP+ is actually implemented.

First, everyone is trying to parse the legal jargon written by Disney lawyers to cover themselves for most possibilities. We still really don't "know" most of how this will work other than that you will have the option to pre-book rides and experiences in some manner.

All the talk about whether FP+ is optional or will be required is meaningless now because we don't know enough. At least on some level, there is almost certainly going to be ability to get some sort of fast pass without preplanning days in advance. Do you think Disney is going to require each of their 17 million visitors to either book their rides in advance or forego it? I doubt it.

We know there will be kiosks. So they use a plastic media or RFID instead of the paper ticket. Big deal - that doesn't necessarily preclude walking into a park and going to a kiosk at 9am to get a fast pass for later that day.

Yes - we can pretty sure you can't use regular fast pass and FP+. But that makes total sense - that would allow doubling up.

Do I have questions - yes? Mostly relating to AP and park hopping. I'm sure some things will benefit me and some things will disadvantage me and when I hear the details I'll figure out what works best for how I want to tour.

Like I said in another thread, I'm going to wait and see how it goes. Heck, I thought the fast pass time enforcement was going to be a horrible thing and I was completely wrong. I'm probably not going to get a chance to try it out until 2014 some time.

With anything I'm sure it will have it's positives and negatives. I'm hoping it will be a positive and not cause any headaches. I HOPE they will continue to have some sort of the old FastPass version available but I don't really see how that will work without making stand-by lines 3 hours long.

Oh how awesome it would be to schedule ALL fastpasses before you even leave for WDW.:thumbsup2
I hope it works out...well see.

I agree we all need to take a collective deep breath and see how it actually all plays out. However, the one thing that truly concerns me is if we are limited to 3 FP+ per day and at only one park that will be very limiting in comparison to what we can do with FP as it is currently offered. Park hopping will also now be a problem. I'm holding out hope that there is some way we can utilize regular FP for park hopping and for doing more than 3 FP "events" per day.

I agree, I'm not getting excited about it until it officially comes out.

I can sort of see how this plays out in my head for my benefit and to be honest I think I like it.

I'm a Florida resident & AP holder who makes frequent trips over the weekends. I will now be able to plan my trips better with this, I can pick which park I want to go to on which day and get the FP+ to ride the rides we want and be done.

So ..

Day 1 - We're going to AK, we have FP+ for EE, Safari and Dinosaur, we eat lunch at Flametree BBQ and watch the parade and boom we're done!!

Day 2 - We're going to HS, we FP+ for RnR, ToT and TSM, we eat lunch and watch the parade and boom we're done!!!

Day 3 - you get the picture ... pick a park, pick your rides/shows and be done.

I like the fact that they are looking to replace the paper cards with something, although I'm not sure about the bracelets, unless I can get mine in silver with carbon fiber accents, then I'm good with it ... but I will not miss diggin in my pockets for 4 AP's each time I need to get a FP from the machine.

There is still some details to be ironed out as the OP stated, such as what happens if I get to AK on day 1 and do everything and then I want to bounce on over to MK for a bit and maybe ride BTMRR, do I now forgo having the option to get a FP?

Change is always hard for people, it's even harder when people have to pay their hard earned money for a vacation and have no idea what to expect when that day comes.

One thing to keep in mind is, this is Disney, they are not in the business of losing customers over stupid decisions so I'm sure they have put many hours and countless dollars into making sure this is done right so to not interrupt the customer.

and in the end ... if it does then too bad for Disney!

The problem with that plan (which does sound nice :thumbsup2) would be if the limits were tiered...so you would not be able to FP EE, Safari and Dinosaur in the same day. Concern is maybe only 2, or maybe only 1 headliner attraction per day. :worried:

Looks like the Mayans were slightly off. Apparently, based on reading this board, the real end of the world will be the day that FP+ is actually implemented.

:rotfl2: I love this. I actually am looking forward to seeing how this all pans out (even like the possible idea of a bracelet) but I'm not going to put much thought into anything until something is official.

The other concern, JerMs, would be if you decide 2 weeks before that you're going, and those who've booked at 60 days out have taken all of the FP+s... then you get none. :( The odds of you getting NONE are probably pretty slim, but I would bet that many or most slots for the best rides at the best times will be taken, just like the best ADRs.

:rotfl2: I love this. I actually am looking forward to seeing how this all pans out (even like the possible idea of a bracelet) but I'm not going to put much thought into anything until something is official.

Also love the Mayans comment OP :lmao:

There has been some new "official" information out over the last couple of days and I have to say, I think FP+/NextGen/MagicBand/Disney Magic is going to make for a awesome guest experience.

Disney pride themselves on the guest experience and what this information seems to be saying is pure Disney Magic!

FP+ isn't going to suit everyone but everyone will make it work for them. If the quoted FP limit of 3 per day is in fact the way things play out, it really won't be that much of a problem unless you're someone who wants to ride the same rides multiple times, in which case, get in line! :rotfl2:

I'm excited for what this will bring! :hyper:

First, everyone is trying to parse the legal jargon written by Disney lawyers to cover themselves for most possibilities. We still really don't "know" most of how this will work other than that you will have the option to pre-book rides and experiences in some manner.

All the talk about whether FP+ is optional or will be required is meaningless now because we don't know enough. At least on some level, there is almost certainly going to be ability to get some sort of fast pass without preplanning days in advance. Do you think Disney is going to require each of their 17 million visitors to either book their rides in advance or forego it? I doubt it.

We know there will be kiosks. So they use a plastic media or RFID instead of the paper ticket. Big deal - that doesn't necessarily preclude walking into a park and going to a kiosk at 9am to get a fast pass for later that day.

Yes - we can pretty sure you can't use regular fast pass and FP+. But that makes total sense - that would allow doubling up.

Do I have questions - yes? Mostly relating to AP and park hopping. I'm sure some things will benefit me and some things will disadvantage me and when I hear the details I'll figure out what works best for how I want to tour.
~I totally agree!!! I can't believe how people are flipping out over the "Terms & Conditions" -- consider all of the icky stuff in our credit card, debit card, bank account, mortgage, and auto lease terms -- but we still charge away, direct deposit, pay the mortgage and car loan, right? I wanted to express this earlier, but I felt a little green saying it because I'm not a lawyer & I didn't want to sound like a psuedo intellectual or something, lol! I'm so glad you went over this! You articulated this point far better than I could have! :goodvibes

I was reading another thread by someone there now. He said that while he was there they replaced the lock on his room door with an RFID-enabled one. His KTTW card was already RFID-enabled, so he didn't have to take any extra steps to start using it immediately. That sounds promising, to me.

If we're given a choice to stick with an RFID-enabled KTTW card or go with wristbands, that would probably be fine with me. I'd stick with the KTTW card, just because I can carry my kids' cards with me easier that way. Also, if we can choose to stick with current FP system (with RFID readers on the FP machines instead of those balky magnetic readers they have now), or use FP+, I'd be ecstatic about that.

I can already tell this will ease some of the bottleneck entering parks. RFID readers, in my experience, are a more reliable and speedy means of allowing large numbers of people through a bottleneck like entrance gates. The system they're using now has many flaws and RFID could greatly alleviate most of those flaws, allowing for a more relaxed park entry scenario for guests (and probably for the gate CMs).

There would certainly be downsides if everyone is forced to either a) wear wristbands and ditch cards altogether and/or b) use the FP+ system with no alternative to stick with the regular FP system, but I've not seen anything yet that leads me to believe that Disney is definitely moving toward those things. But moving toward RFID, and hopefully in card and/or wristband form, seems like a no-brainer to me at this point.

I think FP+/NextGen/MagicBand/Disney Magic is going to make for a awesome guest experience.

I'm really excited about the prospects for the MagicBand ... Love the idea of not digging through my pockets/backpack quite so often. Everything I'm hearing so far makes me feel the same ... that this has the potential to provide some really awesome Disney Magic. Just don't want to get too excited until the whole thing really plays out...

ChipnDale79 said:
Agreed, what's next? Are we going to have to schedule a bathroom fast pass 60 days in advance?

you dont have to schedule times for anything in advance. this was mentioned many times and in a quote from Staggs. so i think you are free to release yourself as you please.

bwang123 said:
you dont have to schedule times for anything in advance. this was mentioned many times and in a quote from Staggs. so i think you are free to release yourself as you please.

But if you don't schedule it in advance you may not have a place to do so. :)

I did have one image in my head....
Instead of gathering my family's tickets and keeping them in my pocket to be the FP runner, I may find myself collecting and then marching through the park with a handful of bracelets to get FP+s from the kiosk...

I do find the argument that "oh you won't HAVE to use it" to be a little silly, ill bet people said that about FP but I challenge you to find more than a few people on this board who don't have to use normal FP to get certain rides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter