Welcome back, I took today off! Figured I'd try to get some posts done before the house work....

Back in the room D falls asleep pretty quickly and M is coloring. Deb got some nice photos on the way to MK, she was upgrading her 10 PH to a AP.

The eggs in the lobby were so cool!

IMG_5999.jpg

It was still a beautiful day...

IMG_6006.jpg

She was quickly successful there and wasted some time wandering around, of course she used her first snack credit on her favorite snack ever,

IMG_6023.jpg

When she got back she hung out on the balcony with M for a few minutes then D woke up and wasted some time letting the kids watch Disney Jr. while we showered and got ready for dinner. Our ADR was at 6pm at the Grand Floridian Cafe. We'd heard good things about the meals there and are looking forward to trying it.

Once it was close enough to our ADR we walked down to check in then waited only a few minutes for our table.

IMG_6033.jpg

They ended up sitting us a little early which was fine, and we took our time looking at the menu and deciding on drinks etc... I was all set just to get beer but Deb reminded me to order BIG to make the most of the Dining Plan. So I ended up with this...

IMG_3666.jpg

The Key West, totally out of character for me, but it was like $11.00. Actually it was really refreshing. Deb got the Cold Brew XO.

IMG_3667.jpg

She really liked it! Lots of thought went into what to get for dinner. I had heard that the steak was really good here, but in thinking about what ADRs we had upcoming I felt like I might eat steak all week.

So I went with the Grilled Pork Chop- 10-oz Pork Chop, Candied Baked Sweet Potato, Mixed Green and Wax Beans with Sautéed Apples.

IMG_3669.jpg

I accidently took a bite before I took the picture, I was really hungry. This was a great choice! Meat was nice and tender, potato was tasty, and the apples nice and sweet with the pork.

Deb got Shrimp and Grits- Jumbo Shrimp with Chorizo and Fennel served on top of Creamy Mascarpone Cheese Grits

IMG_3671.jpg

She did not take a premature bite like me. She also loved this, shrimp was well prepared as were the grits.

M got a burger with fries which was off menu, and D got the kids grilled chicken. I got a picture of the burger, but not the chicken. Neither was much to look at, but the kids loved them.

IMG_3670.jpg

So far we were loving the meal and M was doing her Roz impression "Always watching" and being her goofball self.

IMG_3672.jpg
Then the dessert menus came out!

There were some really great choices here for dessert. I went with the Key Lime Pie- Baked in a Graham Cracker Tart Shell served with Fresh Strawberries and Sweet Mandarin Sorbet

IMG_3676.jpg

Deb got the Apple Crisp with Coconut Milk Ice Cream- Caramelized Apples with a Streusel Topping

IMG_3675.jpg

Both were fantastic. The real winners here though were the kids. They got Worms in Dirt, which they were hesitant about at first. Then they saw it and were pumped. I'll give them an A+ for presentation here.

IMG_3673.jpg

IMG_3674.jpg

No way were we letting them finish those... they loved them though. We finished up everything around 7pm, I was hoping we weren't going to get this many receipts with all our meals,

IMG_3677.jpg

and then decided to see what there was to do at the resort. There was a scavenger hunt for a golden carrot that started at the beach. We made a stop on the way to see the Peter Pan floor

IMG_6034.jpg

Then headed to the beach. We got our book and the CM told everyone there was a prize once you found the carrot.

This wasn't so much of a scavenger hunt as it was solving word puzzles and using the solutions to find the location. the kids tried to participate, but Deb and I had to do most of it.

IMG_3678.jpg

Once we figured out the solution it was over to the docks to find the carrot. It was easy to see.

IMG_3679.jpg

Great job kids!

IMG_3680.jpg

Not the best picture. It was close to bedtime, but hey this one was better, those are their prizes.... yippeee!

IMG_6038.jpg

Ok time to head to the room, everybody is exhausted and ready for bed. Deb took the kids up and I snuck over to the store to get some snacks to hide from the Easter Bunny. I ended up getting 2 bags or Goofy sour candies and 4 Rice Krispy Treats. We had a few other things to hide like clothes, which should suffice for the morning. Then we all hit the bed hard.

Dining Plan recap. (I'm rounding here)
- Gasparilla Grill (including our resort mugs): $123.00
- Grand Floridian Cafe: $115.00
- Dole Whip: $5.99
- Two Goofy Candies: $6.99 each
- Four Mickey Rice Krispy Treats: $4.99 Each ($40.00 Total in snacks)
- Days total $278

Initial cost $1,449
Used- $278
Left to break even- $1,171

We were off to a good start using our credits $204 a day would break us even so we are well past that for the day.

Steps:

Tim- 6,050
M- 9,495

Last edited:
Day 2: Easter Around the World
Welcome to the second day of our trip! After a thoroughly good nights sleep we were up at 7. Luckily the Easter Bunny found us and hid a the Goofy's Candy Treats, Mickey Rice Krispy Treats and some clothes around the room. We saw last night that there were some activities and such around the resort for Easter. We also knew that some characters would be making an appearance. So our plan for the first part of the morning is to do some of that, then the rest of our day was scheduled for EPCOT.

FastPasses:
9:25-10:25; Soarin Around the World
10:30-11:30; Living With the Land
11:30-12:30; Journey into the Imagination with Figment

ADR:
5:00pm; Teppan Edo

Nighttime show:
Illuminations

We are usually not all an all day in one park family but that was what we had planned for today. We were questioning whether or not we'd make it all the way to Illuminations, or whether we would be to exhausted by that point. Also given that it was Easter we thought the crowds would be huge, which is why we picked EPCOT for today.

The first thing we did was grab some breakfast at Gasparilla Grill. We used to Quick Service meals on Mickey Waffles, and a snack credit on a danish. We got a couple juices with our Quick Service meal than used our mugs for our morning coffee. This was plenty of food for us, and it left us two quick service meals to use for lunch.

We quickly finished up and timed it out so we could meet he white rabbit before Candy Dash. We'd never met the White Rabbit before so this was cool, it was about a 10-15 minute wait.

413632810.jpg

413632489.jpg

From there we had about 5 minutes before the Candy Dash. This was pretty interesting, they had four sections for different age groups. All the sections were set up with a ton of candy in Disney Shapes, and some thrown around randomly.

IMG_3684.jpg

D had a section with the toddlers, and M was with like the 6-9 year olds or something.

IMG_3682.jpg

They attempted to have the sections go at different times but it didn't work. If you can see above kids were already inside the ropes while others were waiting. Some people's inability to parent was on full display at this point. The CM said "Only the toddler group when I say go" and of course as soon as he "Go!"said half of the 6-9 year old group (who were already on the other side of the rope) went anyway. Chaos then ensued, and M who is a huge rule follower was soooo confused. I told her she had to go even though it wasn't her turn because everybody else did.

IMG_3686.jpg

IMG_3687.jpg

There was plenty of candy to go around though, so no worries, D did not like the big crowd and there was a golden egg he wanted which another kids got to, so he was not very successful. Turned out whomever got that golden egg got an extra prize, oh well.

Once that was done we went back over and got in line for Mickey and Minnie in their Easter Outfits. This was a bit of a longer wait, and as we got closer they started to announce that Mickey and Minnie were switching out with the White Rabbit. As we got closer it didn't look like we'd make it and then we saw the White Rabbit coming over with two families in front of us. Bummer, but then both of those families wanted to meet the White Rabbit, so they let us go, sweet!

IMG_6051.jpg

413672584.jpg

We were pretty quick, the kids got their autographs we took a picture, then we were off. Mickey and Minnie went in and we started towards the monorail. We also look at some of the other activities on the patio.

IMG_3691.jpg

IMG_3688.jpg

There was a lot to do, but we wanted to make our FP and it was going to be cutting it close by this point.

When we come back, off to EPCOT.

Last edited:
Reading along!! Sounds great so far! Can't wait to read more!

I'm with you about not seeing sun for months! We're from Buffalo, NY!!

Our trip was 5/23-5/27!! It was surface-of-the-sun HOTTT!!!! But it was so nice to be warm and see sun!!:sunny:

We check in, Deb was really hoping for an upgrade so she is super nice to everybody as we got there (she's always super nice anyway). We got all the way to the desk so they didn't upgrade us to CL, oh well it was a slim chance anyway. We check in and did get a small upgrade from a standard view to a lake view. Even if that's not really an upgrade we pretended it was.Our room wasn't ready yet so we grabbed a few pictures.
That totally is an upgrade as Lagoon view is a separately booked category. Score for you guys!
Deb was in full Disney mode at this point.
The only way to be!
We noticed right away how much bigger these rooms were. Plenty of room to spread everything out and not be crammed.
The room is lovely!
She was quickly successful there and wasted some time wandering around, of course she used her first snack credit on her favorite snack ever,
Good choice!
So far we were loving the meal and M was doing her Roz impression "Always watching" and being her goofball self.
Love it!
Both were fantastic. The real winners here though were the kids. They got Worms in Dirt, which they were hesitant about at first. Then they saw it and were pumped. I'll give them an A+ for presentation here.
Best dessert ever! So funny that they still have it. I remember it being a huge hit with my three on our GF stay in Jan/09. I don't think we let them finish it either!

I'm with you about not seeing sun for months! We're from Buffalo, NY!!

Our trip was 5/23-5/27!! It was surface-of-the-sun HOTTT!!!! But it was so nice to be warm and see sun!!:sunny:

Since we have come back it has done nothing but rain, so we still haven't seen much sun 🤦‍♂️

Best dessert ever! So funny that they still have it. I remember it being a huge hit with my three on our GF stay in Jan/09. I don't think we let them finish it either!

I wish I had gotten it, I had a bite and it was amazing!

As we left all the activities we figured we would be cutting it really close for our first FP depending on security. Apparently we weren't in to much of an initial rush because took the elevator and we managed to get pictures on our walk to the monorail.

IMG_6054.jpg

IMG_6055.jpg

That first picture reminds me that we got M some pins and a lanyard on our last trip and this was her first time trading pins. She took a couple special ones off that she wouldn't trade but started this trip with 8 pins. We were eager to see how it was done. So throughout our days I took pictures of what she traded for.

We jumped on a monorail and took it around to the Ticket and Transportation Center, another beautiful day.

IMG_3692.jpg

It wasn't too hot yet, but we were expecting it to get hotter throughout the week. We made out transfer to the EPCOT monorail and are on our way, it's getting close to the end of our FP time. We switched monorails at about 10:00.

IMG_6058.jpg

When we got off we decided that Deb would take the kids through security and make right for Soarin. I would go through the bag check and book it after I got through. Our FP ended at 10:25 and I have written down that we got to EPCOT at 10:25, so we were in the grace period now. Deb went with the kids and once I got through security I booked it to pavillion, dropped off the stroller and ran downstairs.

Another thing was we weren't sure that D would be tall enough, at last measure he was like 39' but we'd see. I got down there and we were still good use our FP so I scanned in. D was being difficult in getting measured until I got there. Once I got him to stand up straight he barely, and I mean barely made it. His head just about touched the bar, so they let us through. He was excited as not evident by the picture below.

IMG_3693.jpg

The time stamp on these photos was 10:37, so we were lucky to have gotten on.

IMG_3694.jpg

We were sat in the middle (section B) row 2. Perfect, I hate being to the side since they redid this. It's painful over there, and will ask for the center section if it looks like we will get seated to the sides.

Here we go! Our first ride (flight) of the vacation.

IMG_6060.jpg

D did great and he loved it. We finished right after 11:00 and then went over to use our FP for LWTL. I love this ride for some reason, and it's great to see all the plants. I took a few pictures of the hidden Mickeys and the pineapples ( I actually took a tone of pictures, but I'll only out a few here).

IMG_3697.jpg

IMG_3700.jpg

IMG_3707.jpg

Those weren't so hidden, there are a few you really have to look for. Once we got out of there we headed right over to Figment to use our next FP. Not my favorite ride but the kids like it. So far we had done our three rides in less than 2 hours, on Easter! Off to a good start.

As we came off Figment we spotted Wreck it Ralph and Vanellope! When we come back we've got those pictures!

Welcome Back!

It's been a couple weeks, we've been busy with the end of school and the rainy, rainy, rainy weather in Vermont. I keep telling Deb it's perfect Irish summer with rain everyday and highs in the 60s.

After we got off Figment, which the kids love and we don't, we ran into Ralph and Vanellope. It looked to be about a 25 minute wait, but we had time to kill. While we are waiting Deb picked up another FP for Nemo at 12:30. They had to take a break while we were waiting which was cool because we got to see them go into The Link and come back out. Such a Disney touch. The wait was about 30 minutes total, so not to bad.

IMG_3709.jpg

They were a fun meet, Ralph had the fist pumps going with everybody.

413804165.jpg

413804450.jpg

413804656.jpg

413805100.jpg

Once we finished up there it was over to the Nemo Pavilion for the Seas with Nemo and Friends. With our FP it was a very quick wait. Deb got her own shell, because both the kids wanted to ride with me :sad2:.

IMG_6063.jpg

Fun quick ride, and then we hung out looking at the fish and the gift shop for a few minutes. We decided to leave the pavilion about . On the way out M decided she wanted to buy a pin, she decided to get Raz and then she traded with a CM.

IMG_3710.jpg

She go the Peter Pan hat which she was super excited about and gave up a Storm Trooper pin (she has 6 similar pins from a pack she wants to trade).

From there we started walking over to World Showcase and D started to take his nap. We went through Mexico and to Norway. The wait for Anna and Elsa was posted 15 minutes and M decided she wanted to meet them. D was out, so this was a good use of time. Wait was way less than 15, in fact we walked in and all the way to the entrance to the back room before seeing anybody. So really it was a 5 minute wait.

413875924.jpg

413877151.jpg

413877246.jpg

M is always shy with them, but she got their autographs and some nice pictures. When we got out we were pretty hungry, so we started to look at some Flower an Garden booths. Next post we do lunch and more Easter at EPCOT.

Just found your report and am enjoying catching up and reading about everything so far. Looks like you guys have had a great start to the trip. What a nice set of Easter activities at the Grand Floridian! So fun for the kids! Can't wait to hear more about your trip!

Just found your report and am enjoying catching up and reading about everything so far. Looks like you guys have had a great start to the trip. What a nice set of Easter activities at the Grand Floridian! So fun for the kids! Can't wait to hear more about your trip!

Thanks for reading. We were totally surprised by all the stuff Easter morning. We thought just a character meet and greet bit all the stuff was great.

Happy Fathers Day to all you DisDads out there!

After we met Anna and Elsa, we were getting hungry, but we didn't want to fill up too much with a big dinner at 5:00. So we decided to use a quick service credit at the China Flower and Garden Booth.

I got Braised Beef over rice.

IMG_3712.jpg

and Deb had Crab Egg Rolls.

IMG_6079.jpg

Both were pretty good, and just the right size for a snackish lunch. You can also see in the picture one of the storm trooper pins M had decided she would trade. She had a pack of 6 of these so she decided she would only keep one. What was nice was that in trading with CM they let M decide which pin to give them. If M had traded with other visitors they might pick which pin they want. Throughout the trip she really only insisted on keeping her Peter Pan pins.

We picked a spot by the lagoon and ate. D was still past out.

IMG_3711.jpg

IMG_6075.jpg

The weather couldn't have been better. It wasn't that hot either which really helped us not take the afternoon break back at the hotel. Eventually D woke up and was of course hungry, so we went over to the American Pavilion and got the kids some "smoothies" from Joffery's. They were fine for the kids, and Deb decided she wanted a pretzel.

IMG_6081.jpg

We thought about getting the pretzel from Germany but they don't take snack credits for them. Oh well, the first draw back to the dining plan. The crowds at this point weren't too bad, definitely way less than we were expecting.

IMG_3713.jpg

After that we wandered around look at the topiaries. I think some of these are out of order because in my notes we get towards Mexico. Either way here are a few good ones.

IMG_6068.jpg

IMG_6069.jpg

We must have taken those on the way over to WS when D was napping. As we went through we saw more that we liked! This one was in Norway..

IMG_6070.jpg

Next post, more topiaries and dinner.

We made our way back through Germany Norway on our way to Mexico so we could go on the ride. We went into a few shops to see what they had and to kill time. On the way (I think) we saw the Lion King topiary and got a funny pose.

IMG_3714.jpg

And this one was on the way somewhere as well (Germany maybe? I'm pretty sure)

IMG_6080.jpg

After we were done shopping and tried on some hats...

IMG_6085.jpg

D noticed the "fountain" and thus started our need to stop at every waterfall and fountain we went by for the rest of the trip.

IMG_3716.jpg

From there we went to Mexico and on the ride. There was a bit of a line, but it moved fast. I have written down that we waited for 11 minutes. Once we got off it was 3:30 and we walked through the old Odyssey Pavilion where there was some Flower and Garden stuff. We grabbed a couple ciders and sat down for a few minutes in a nice quiet spot.

IMG_3717.jpg

It was still only like 3:45 or so and we had a ton of time to kill before dinner, but not long enough to get in any lines. We went down to the Test Track area and found......

IMG_3718.jpg

Perfect! we let the kids run around in there for a while which and we picked strategic spots to watch them from.

IMG_6094.jpg

We also took a couple pictures ofthe topiaries outside the play area.

IMG_6092.jpg

IMG_6091.jpg

We hung out there till about 4:45 which made it a tight squeeze to book it to Japan for our ADR. We decided to have M get in the stroller and I would carry D. By the way, it was finally really hot, so we were a sweating mess when we got there a couple minutes before 5.

Next Post Teppan Edo! Hopefully I'll get it posted today.....

Last edited:
Well I'm back, even though it's been a few weeks. Now that school is out and post service conferences etc.... are done I should be able to post here daily. My goal will be to finish by mid July before we embark on our newly booked 7 day Western Caribbean cruise on DCL! We were hoping to get a TA rate for the 5 day Double Dip cruise but it never came up so we waited and waited to book something and this was the best deal. We've never cruised with DCL before so this is pretty exciting for us (any tips or suggestions will be welcome here)!

Back to the April trip. Our reservation was at 5pm and we didn't leave the play area by Test Track until 4:45. Realizing this would be cutting it close we put M in the stroller and Deb pushed her quickly over there and I took my time (more or less carrying D). We decided to go through Canada, and it all worked out we were there right at 5.

IMG_3720.jpg

We apparently had enough time for a selfie before going in...

IMG_6097.jpg

It was still a beautiful day, I don't think we could have asked for better weather. The check in procedure here was a little weird, they gave us a buzzer which went off almost immediately, then we waited in the lobby for about five minutes. After that they called our family and another up then took us to wait in the hallway outside where our stations was, which was super awkward. But then we were seated.

They started us off with drinks. I got a Momo Whiskey Sour: Perfect Harmony of Whiskey, Peach Schnapps, and Sour Mix

IMG_3721.jpg

Deb got Violet Silk Martini (I think, I can't remember but this looks like it matches the description): Vodka shaken with Purple Pear and Lime Juice...A sophisticated taste for the palate

IMG_6107.jpg

At $12 each they are good use of the Dining Plan. Then the show begins, and this was a huge win for D. He spent every TS meal from here on out pretending he was the Hibachi Chef.

IMG_3724.jpg

We got our Mickey and a show.

IMG_3722.jpg

IMG_3727.jpg

This being the token American Hibachi restaurant dinner came with a salad, noodles, and rice.

I got the Filet Mignon: 6 oz tenderloin usda choice served with garden salad, udon noodles, vegetables, and steamed white rice

IMG_3732.jpg

Deb got the Ebi: 10 grilled shrimp served with garden salad, udon noodles, vegetables, and steamed white rice. I am somehow missing the picture of this. Oh well, it looked exactly like mine but with shrimp.

Both D and M got the Julienne Steak: 4 oz sliced beef strips served with miso soup, seasonal vegetables, udon noodles, and steamed white rice

IMG_3733.jpg

I loved mine, steak was perfectly done and the noodles were great. The kids loved theirs as well and D ate both his and M's soup. Deb could have taken or left the shrimp, after seeing the salmon I think she wished she got that instead. The portion wasn't huge either which was nice. Usually after I eat I walk around for the next hour feeling like I need a nap.

Then we ordered dessert. the kids had the ice cream, I think they only had Vanilla

IMG_6116.jpg

That's all the room I have here, my big tip about dessert in the next post!

OK so my big tip here is if you are on the Dining Plan, maybe ask to substitute an appetizer for dessert. The options are limited and actually quite terrible. Both kids got ice cream, and I got the Mango Mousse Cake: mango-flavored sponge cake with a smooth flavorful mango mousse decorated with a tropical glaze;

IMG_3734.jpg

and Deb got the Green Tea Mousse Cake: alternating layers of delicate green tea sponge cake with a light and fluffy green tea mousse, topped with a lush covering of fresh whipped cream.

IMG_6117.jpg

Both were equally unimpressive, oh well. The good news was that there was still room for Mickey Bars later!

We finished up at 6:15, so it took us just about and hour and fifteen minutes, which wasn't too bad. We were still determined to make it to Illuminations tonight, and earlier in the day we snagged a FP for it. We had some time to kill, the fireworks started at 9pm. The taiko drummers were performing so we watched them for a little bit.

IMG_3735.jpg

Always a good show, then we walked further around the WS and stopped in Germany to see the trains. D loved these, as we thought he would.

IMG_3737.jpg

On our way through America M sees a CM to trade with, and she picked this gold pin after much deliberation.

IMG_3741.jpg

I wasn't thrilled with that one, it looked like a fake, but at some point during this trip we found out that these gold ones were from Shanghai Disney (or Hong Kong, I can't remember which at the moment).

We got to Norway at about 6:55 and decided to jump in line for FEA. We figured we had the time and the wait was posted as 50 min. We ended up waiting about 40, my notes say we got on the ride at 7:33.

414203609.jpg

I tried to have us all give the thumbs up, but you can't see D oh well. We were done at about 7:40 then decided to head down to Spaceship Earth for a nice time consuming, relaxing ride. We took a few pictures on the way there. The kids insisted I stop for the picture with Goofy.

IMG_6124.jpg

The crowds are still really manageable, actually I would have guessed close to only a moderate crowd. Word was the MK was the same way, much less crowded than people were anticipating.

IMG_3742.jpg

Of course we had to stop and see the greatest fountain ever on out way past.

IMG_3743.jpg

He could have done this for the rest of the evening, but alas we had to go find out about our future.

Spaceship Earth was a walk on. I think the wait was posted at 10 minutes, but nobody was in line. I rode with D and despite all the cues he still missed the picture so we ended up with this at the end.

IMG_3745.jpg

I also need to remember at some point to take off my hat cause it looks like I have no head.

IMG_3744.jpg

The ride only took us 15 minutes, and we couldn't get into the FP are until 8:45. With a half hour to kill we went into Mouse Gears to shop. M decided to use some of her money on a charm bracelet and some charms, and D got a little plane.

IMG_3746.jpg

Finally it was time to get in place. It was the second group of FP so there was slim pickings for good spots to stand. Luckily some people let the kids right up front just next to a pillar that wasn't quite in the way. I went to snag some Mickey Bars. I think I got 3 so D could share with Deb and myself.

I love in the next 4 pictures you can see D's progression to realizing his bar wa eaten because Deb took the last bite.

IMG_3747.jpg

IMG_3748.jpg

IMG_3749.jpg

IMG_3750.jpg

Haha, don't worry he had plenty and this was helping number 2 of ice cream. We figured this was the last time we'd see Illuminations because at this point we were not planning another EPCOT Day. We'll really miss this show especially the music because we both are fans of the Cadets drum corps show which was a big part of our lives when we were way younger. Really though with the technology in the newer shows it's time to retire Illuminations.

IMG_3753.jpg

After the show we head back to the resort and are in bed at about 10. After a long day we are all out quickly!

Dining Plan recap. (I'm rounding here)
- Gasparilla Grill breakfast (which includes a snack credit for the danish): $29.00
- Braised Beef and Crab Eggs Rolls: $22.00
- Teppan Edo: $127.00
- Pretzel: $7.00
- 3 Mickey Bars: each $5.75 ($17.25 total)
- Days total $202.25

Initial cost $1,449
Used- $480.25
Left to break even- $968.75

Steps:

Tim- 16,827
M-19,676

Back tomorrow with our HS day!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter