A Disney Ship coming to Australia ?

How many ports are there in Australia that can handle a cruise ship? Sydney, Brisbane, Cairns, Melbourne? Any others?

But a journey around the tip of South America would be awesome! Way better than Australia!
:eek: how rude!

:rotfl:

How many ports are there in Australia that can handle a cruise ship? Sydney, Brisbane, Cairns, Melbourne? Any others?
There are heaps - Newcastle, Hobart, Airlie Beach, Adelaide, to name a few. Plus the cruise could head out to New Caledonia, New Zealand, any number of places really.

:eek: how rude!

:rotfl:

There are heaps - Newcastle, Hobart, Airlie Beach, Adelaide, to name a few. Plus the cruise could head out to New Caledonia, New Zealand, any number of places really.
Keep in mind that the overwhelming majority of Disney cruises are 7 nights or under, though. That really limits where they can go unless they go for a bunch of one-way cruises.

I got the feeling from the platinum/gold appreciation party last week that they might be going to Australia soon. A lot of ships sail Alaska in the Summer and reposition to Australia in the Winter. It’s not far fetched at all. What else are they going to do with the Wonder in the Winter. You can’t have all your ships sailing to the Caribbean in the Winter they won’t sell out.

Keep in mind that the overwhelming majority of Disney cruises are 7 nights or under, though. That really limits where they can go unless they go for a bunch of one-way cruises.
Carnival and Royal pre Covid had cruises out of Australia ranging from 3 nights to 14 or longer, but many in the 7 night-9 night range. I know this because I was pricing them out for a 2020 back in 2018.

I got the feeling from the platinum/gold appreciation party last week that they might be going to Australia soon. A lot of ships sail Alaska in the Summer and reposition to Australia in the Winter. It’s not far fetched at all. What else are they going to do with the Wonder in the Winter. You can’t have all your ships sailing to the Caribbean in the Winter they won’t sell out.
This year it will do West Coast 3-4-5 day cruises, but I think that is the consensus. The $64,000 question is what happens when ships 6 & 7 show up? Does the Wonder or the Magic then do Hawaii over the summer with the other doing Alaska? Should be interesting in a few years.

Carnival and Royal pre Covid had cruises out of Australia ranging from 3 nights to 14 or longer, but many in the 7 night-9 night range. I know this because I was pricing them out for a 2020 back in 2018.
Sure. I was just suggesting that there won't be a bunch of cruises that visit New Zealand and Perth from Sydney unless Disney decides to do a bunch of one-way cruises or breaks its usual pattern and does a bunch of cruises longer than 7 nights.

Yep, just looked it up. The Bridge of the Americas only has 201' of clearance and the Dream & Fantasy are 217'. They can come in on the East coast and turn around in the lake like other ships do, but they can't go out on the West Coast. The Centennial bridge has 262' of clearance.

I'm trusting Wikipedia's information on the Fantasy's specs, here but if the Bridge of the Americas has 201' of clearance (from the waterline to the bridge), but as long as the Dream or Fantasy have at least 18' of deck below the waterline, they could still squeak through. The Draft of the Fantasy is 27', so that should theoretically leave 11' of clearance. Plus that 201' of clearance for the Bridge of the Americas is at high tide. Totally doable unless there's something else that I'm missing.

I'm trusting Wikipedia's information on the Fantasy's specs, here but if the Bridge of the Americas has 201' of clearance (from the waterline to the bridge), but as long as the Dream or Fantasy have at least 18' of deck below the waterline, they could still squeak through. The Draft of the Fantasy is 27', so that should theoretically leave 11' of clearance. Plus that 201' of clearance for the Bridge of the Americas is at high tide. Totally doable unless there's something else that I'm missing.
Most specs that I have seen, show the height of various ships as above the water line and then the draft as a separate number. If what they are presenting is different for the Dream and Fantasy then, yes you would be correct. As an example an Oasis class ship (16 decks vs 14 on the Fantasy) is 236' above the water line with a 30' draft. So at 10' per deck (which is what they calculate as average) that would bring an Oasis with 14 decks down to 216' which coincides with the 217' for the Fantasy. It would be nice if the newer ships could do the West Coast.

@scroogie said he thought he saw the height issue mentioned before as one of the problems that is why I looked it up.

Most specs that I have seen, show the height of various ships as above the water line and then the draft as a separate number. If what they are presenting is different for the Dream and Fantasy then, yes you would be correct. As an example an Oasis class ship (16 decks vs 14 on the Fantasy) is 236' above the water line with a 30' draft. So at 10' per deck (which is what they calculate as average) that would bring an Oasis with 14 decks down to 216' which coincides with the 217' for the Fantasy. It would be nice if the newer ships could do the West Coast.

@scroogie said he thought he saw the height issue mentioned before as one of the problems that is why I looked it up.

found this over at the Scott's Blog:

it shows the 'air draft' of the Dream and Fantasy as 188 feet. We're good to go :)

Attachments

• Disney-Dream-Technical-Information-Sheet.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
surely all this talk about the Fantasy is in fact a moot point as we know the Wonder has no schedule for next summer whereas the Fantasy does. Just because it possibly could fit through the canal it is unlikely it will be the ship going to Australia if there is one going next year. In future years perhaps but who knows.

surely all this talk about the Fantasy is in fact a moot point as we know the Wonder has no schedule for next summer whereas the Fantasy does. Just because it possibly could fit through the canal it is unlikely it will be the ship going to Australia if there is one going next year. In future years perhaps but who knows.
The original question was "Why not the Fantasy"? Several of us thought it wouldn't fit through the canal and that is what started the discussion.

No announcement at D23. Safe to say that no Australia till winter 2024 at the earliest.

Wonder is headed for a dry dock in fall 2023.

The theme of next year's celebrations is '100 Years of Wonder', and they are planning tons of activities at DL in California. My guess is, Wonder returns from the dry dock and does themed winter itineraries from the west coast in some sort of a tie-up with the celebrations.
They did announce it today:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter