A Disney Housekeepers point of view (videos)

Another tip, from a girl I work with who used to do housekeeping at a chain hotel - throw away your soaps (if you use the hotel provided bars) before you leave - that way the housekeeper doesn't have to touch them. I do it routinely now but had never thought about it before she mentioned it.

Never even thought about this. It would be super easy for me to do this when doing my final bathroom check. I don't mind making someone's job a wee bit easier.

I'm sure people may get the extra cleaning fee for smoking on the balcony. This housekeeper claims she has seen people arrested (in the first video) I kind of think she is not telling the truth with that one. How can people be arrested for something that is not illegal?

actually, a couple was repeatedly told not to smoke on the balcony, and they continued to do so; even after being told they would be asked to leave. when they were asked to leave and wouldn't, then they were arrested for trespassing.

Found some videos on YouTube from a Disney housekeeper. She did it during her college program and gives some good info on her experience and some tips on being a good resort guest. I found her videos entertaining and you should check them out.

Here are a few of her videos:

I really enjoyed your post. She was very upbeat, and just stating facts. A couple of year ago, my dear sister in law died suddenly, and there was something I had wanted to share with her that would have made her smile, and feel good, and she died with that un-said. On that day, I vowed if there was ever anything that I could do to make someone smile, to make their day better, no matter who they were, I would do it, or say it. I am often surprised that people who go to Disney, or anywhere for that matter simply view the cast members as necessary workers. It is not that they are trying to be unkind, but they just don't think. If it were your son, or daughter, you would want to do everything you could to make their day better. Why not do it for everyone.
I once saw a family finishing dinner in a counter service area. The table was an absolute mess, with spilled food; the father had blown his nose on a napkin, and left it on the table, and as the children started to clean up. The mother admonished them saying it wasn't their job, and to just leave it for the servant. What are they teaching those kids? Another time, I saw an adult male berating a young teen because he didn't get on the monorail at closing when it is so packed. That teen's face just fell. I could tell it really effected him. I reached out, and told him, not to worry: it wasn't his fault, and he was doing a great job considering the mass of people, pushing, and shoving, etc. The "Happiest Place on Earth", is sometimes not so kind to the cast members.
These videos did teach me some things, like opening your curtains to give light to your room. Some times I do it, sometimes I don't. I always try to pick up trash, and leave my personal stuff out of the way.
Thanks for posting these.

I thought it was helpful. I never thought about the curtains being closed scaring them. I'll leave a lamp on or leave the sheets closed next time.
We do pick up the best we can.
It's a small room , and were packed in there.

Wow! I learned a couple of things....I always turned off the lights and kept drapes closed on purpose. I was trying to save energy from unnecessary lighting and reducing air conditioning (heat buildup from sun through windows). Sorry housekeeping!

Also, the toiletries are definitely a problem. IDK what else to do with them. I try to keep most items in a zipped container, but not always.

Guess that I will leave lights on/curtains open going forward. I will make more of an effort to put toiletries in a zipped bag or two, as well. I hate to think of making a potentially difficult job any harder than necessary.

I thought that it was interesting to hear the perspective of a housekeeper. Thank you.

I travel, dine out, fly, and stay in a hotel the way I live. Considerate of others and clean. I will never understand the mentality "it's someone else's job", that would have been cause for a little belt action when I was younger. I keep my trash in the trash and recycle in the recycle can. Towels hung for re use otherwise all together in a neat pile for exchange. No spit in the sink or urine and pubes on the toilet, and I pull up my sheets too, mostly because I like a neat bed. I always leave they drapes open, but I'm a sucker for sunlight the moment I wake up. I tend to think that if one is a pig in a hotel room, they're likely one at home too. Tips however on things like soap, etc good to know! And maybe leave a little something for a hard job, many wouldn't want, well done.

I only watched the first and last, but I didn't see it as a whine-fest, either, just an interesting peak into someone else's job. - And I did learn something useful: I would have thought I was supposed to turn off lights to save energy, so the fact that they would rather I leave a small one on is a good tip to know! (I have left a note asking for extra wash clothes, and I do throw my trash in the bin, so I'm good there.)

P.S. - If you don't have time to watch the whole thing, skip to near the end of the third video - her guinea pig is really cute!

I know at least the Disney Cruise Line has banned the over the door holders. They were doing too much damage. Just be aware that anything that accidentally causes damage to the room my cause you to have to fork out more $$$. I would never recommend command hooks, as they are not as infallible as people seem to think.
Actually there is a simple remedy to using your over the door organizer/hanger on DCL that doesn't break the rules. Zip tie your over the door organizer/hanger to an actual clothing hanger and then hang the hanger on one of the various hooks in the stateroom. Viola! No damage to the door and you can still use your organizer!

I enjoyed the videos. Thanks for posting. By no means was she complaining. It was entertaining. That is one job I would not want. Have you ever walked past a room with the door open and thought what a mess? I instantly think of the poor housekeeper. Anyone that expects the "servant" to clean their mess has issues. We leave the room neat and tidy. It isn't their job to hang our clothes, put dirty underwear somewhere out of the way so she can vacuum, throw away our trash and half drank drinks etc. I have a name for that type of guest but better not say it, LOL.

I'm sure people may get the extra cleaning fee for smoking on the balcony. This housekeeper claims she has seen people arrested (in the first video) I kind of think she is not telling the truth with that one. How can people be arrested for something that is not illegal?
I don't believe the part about being arrested either. Definitely being charged a large $ amount for extra cleaning though.

actually, a couple was repeatedly told not to smoke on the balcony, and they continued to do so; even after being told they would be asked to leave. when they were asked to leave and wouldn't, then they were arrested for trespassing.
I could see being arrested for trespassing, but not for smoking in the room.

Thanks OP...I enjoyed those videos.

Our last trip to WL we had an awesome housekeeper. I made sure to mention her in surveys from Disney about the trip.

As someone who travels a lot for work, I appreciate the work housekeepers do.

Thank you for sharing and taking the time to post the videos. I tidy our room, gather used towels and strip the beds for the staff; I know I do not have to, I just like making it a little easier for them (it takes 5 minutes).::MickeyMo

Thank you for sharing and taking the time to post the videos. I tidy our room, gather used towels and strip the beds for the staff; I know I do not have to, I just like making it a little easier for them (it takes 5 minutes).::MickeyMo
You strip the beds?

I'm pretty clean. I don't leave trash around. And I gather dirty towels. But I do not strip the beds.

Yes...I strip the beds...2 linens and a duvet, a 1 minute task while my daughter gets ready for the parks.
I don't think in any way shape or form does any hotel expect guests to strip the bed no matter the time spent doing it.

The only places I have ever stripped the bed is my husband's grandmother's house and when requested by the owner if we're doing a for rent by owner place.

Totally ok that you're doing that but it's not a bad reflection on anyone who doesn't do that (even if it just takes a min to do it).

I don't think in any way shape or form does any hotel expect guests to strip the bed no matter the time spent doing it.

The only places I have ever stripped the bed is my husband's grandmother's house and when requested by the owner if we're doing a for rent by owner place.

Totally ok that you're doing that but it's not a bad reflection on anyone who doesn't do that (even if it just takes a min to do it).
How did my boredom while waiting for my daughter come to this???
I am NOT passing judgement, I am excited with anticipation of going to the parks. ..it helps me pass the time. ..nothing more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!