A different *view* on budget

SandraC

Longs for the feeling of sandy salt water in her k
Hi! I love these boards soooo much! Thanks to all who have ENHANCED my WDW experience!

I have a different take on the budget thing. First, gotta say I AM CHEAP! I save extra straws and cutley from fast food take out, I buy lots from second hand shops and I am a HUGE recycler.

Here's what I did for April 2002 trip: I planned my vacation without looking at the bottom line. I wanted to stay at CSR, rent a van, fly from Toronto to Orlando, have a few character meals, get 7DHP and lots of spending money. So now it was up to me to get all this for as cheap as I could! That's how I budget.

1) RESORT: Last year we booked CBR without a code, didn't know about codes at the time, so paid rack rate OUCH! When we got home last April I found www.mousesavers.com and saw there was a CODE for Moderates at $99. Knowing that Value resorts rack rate is about $99 ~ I made this year's budget $99 per night. I wanted to stay on site, so that meant ALL STAR rack rate or if a code came up this year, we could do a moderate WDW resort, we really wanted to stay at CSR this year. Well, I got it! $94.00 per night instead of rack rate. SAVINGS: $660.

2) AIRFARE: Driving is not an option we wanted this year (in a couple years we will drive). So we (2 adults, 2 kids dd 8 and ds 2) are flying. I paid attention to seat sales and jumped on a great deal 100 days before our April 2002 trip! SAVINGS: $500 approx.

3) CAR: We can use WDW transportation, but we don't want to, we have rented SUV's or mini-vans the last couple of WDW trips. I watched www.mousesavers.com and got a mini-van at Dollar with a code for $199 per week! We are staying 10 nights at CSR, so SAVINGS: $100 (at least)

4) TICKETS: We bought the 7 DHP Canadian deal, it expires May 2002, but we want to use all 7 park days and 4 options, we are there 10 nights and it's a PURE WDW trip, so use-em-up! SAVINGS: $560 + $40 (bought before price goes up) TOTAL SAVINGS: $600.

5) CHARACTERS MEALS: We got invited to one by friends for free, one character meal came free with our tickets ~ we booked 7 characters meals total SAVINGS: $100 We plan lots of quiet picnics, eating breakky in room lots and use food courts and counter services.

6) SPENDING MONEY: I switched my bank acct to a more restrictive yet better interest acct. I make an extra $250 annually in interest. I worked extra workshops to save $350 TOTAL SAVINGS: $600 (That's my total extra spending cash bubget)

GRAND TOTAL SAVED: $2550.00 for this trip! So I planned a dreamy vacation that suits my family right now for about 25% off the rack rate cost. Next trip we plan on driving and staying at 2 WDW resorts, one will be a deluxe.

Hope you've considered writing all your money saving experiences all down - sounds like you could write a good book.

Wow, that is a huge savings! Congratulations! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter