A Daddy-Daughter Adventure TR - Sep'10@AKV - UPDATED 3/31 Post #130

Part IX: Riding the Rails, Flying and More

As we climbed the up-ramp towards the Monorail station outside the entrance to Epcot, the Monorail approached and passed in to the park, making it’s grand circle turn around approaching the station itself. We had only a couple of moments to wait for our carriage that would take us over to the Magic Kingdom. Here it is entering the station, and then my silly little girl inside the car.

2010-0907-186.jpg

2010-0907-191.jpg

For any of you who have followed along with me (on this inordinately LOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNGGGG report – I know, it’s ridiculous how long it’s taken me to sum up a 3 night visit more than 6 months ago… sorry… LIFE has been a bit crazy the past few months!) - anyway – for any of you who may have followed through the beginnings of this TR, you might recall that my DD had a very strong wish to ride two things at the Magic Kingdom. One certainly did NOT happen the first time around, and the other well, we tried really hard… but alas it did not happen. As we approached the TTC to switch Monorails, she was devising a plan. We would board the Train, and head on over to Mickey’s Toontown Fair… she wanted to ride Goofy’s Barnstormer – if, as she said, if it was open.

We quickly boarded the Express Monorail, and were heading around the Seven Seas Lagoon, quickly passing through the Contemporary, and on to the Magic Kingdom station. Upon entering the Magic Kingdom, sure enough, we were bounding up the stairs for the Train, and soon enough were on our way.

2010-0907-194.jpg

2010-0907-196.jpg

Sure enough, when we departed the Train at Mickey’s Toontown Fair – Goofy’s Barnstormer was OPEN! HURRAY!

2010-0907-198.jpg

Not only was it open, but the wait was less than 5 minutes! Which of course meant multiple times…

2010-0907-203.jpg

2010-0907-210.jpg

2010-0907-218.jpg

2010-0907-221.jpg

In keeping with our previous days and parks – we enjoyed the Barnstormer 3 times in a row! Woo hoo. She was in heaven. The first time we were in the very front row. The second time we went to the very back row, and then the third time we were back in the front. It was awesome, and she was just giggling, squealing, and having SUCH a good time. It was awesome!

After we completed our third go around on the Barnstormer, we decided we’d head on over to check out Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and see if we could have success this time around or not…

As we passed through “boarded up land” i.e. Fantasyland – here is just one of the many pics of the walls that I snapped

2010-0907-232.jpg

We decided to enjoy Mickey’s Philharmagic. And lo and behold – guess who was standing outside the queue, signing autographs… Peter Pan! DD was ecstatic, and just had to get his autograph. She quickly got in the short line, and was just so thrilled to be able to see him – and not just on the room’s tv! When it was her turn, she was just so giddy. He talked, and talked, and talked with her. It was so fun. He’s a good guy, that Peter Pan.

2010-0907-238.jpg

2010-0907-241.jpg

2010-0907-245.jpg

2010-0907-250.jpg

Now that she had another signature in her little book, we enjoyed Mickey’s Philharmagic. Love that film. The wait was minimal, really just a few moments, as we entered the lobby just about 5 minutes before the show in progress ended. Not too bad. Soon enough we had our seats, and put on our “opera glasses” and once again were delighted by Donald’s antics.

Following the Philharmagic 3-D fun, we proceeded west through Fantasyland. DD just HAD to fly with Peter Pan – so we jumped in line. The standby sign said about 25 minutes. Not too bad considering how long it can be so many times. I timed it – it was only 17. Sweet! Except for Magic Mornings, I’ve never had so short a wait for Peter Pan’s Flight at WDW before. I love that little adventure. It’s just so cool to step in to those miniature galleons and “take off” through the nursery and out over the rooftops of London. Ahhhh…. FUN.

We continued on our journey westward – both literally and figuratively, proceeding to the great southwest and Big Thunder Mountain. The line seemed non-existent. The stated wait was 10 minutes. Not bad. We started up the ramp and through the little building, and then proceeded down the ramp… with no wait whatsoever! Score.

2010-0907-254.jpg

Within moments, this was happening…

2010-0907-257.jpg

… and this…

2010-0907-262.jpg

and these…

2010-0907-273.jpg

2010-0907-274.jpg

2010-0907-279.jpg

My daughter was beyond ecstatic! How many times do you think we rode BTMRR?!? Yep, you guessed it… 3 times in a row! She wanted to do it a 4th time… but then quickly said, “no – we didn’t do the others more than 3 times, so I think we’ll keep this one the same as the rest, just 3 times.” What a crack-up she is. There literally was no line, very few people on the train at all… in fact, between the 2nd and the 3rd times – NO ONE was waiting when the train pulled back in to the station, and the CM’s asked if we wanted to go again… of course we did! It was so very worth it to see the grin on her face that afternoon. Especially considering how sad and dejected she was just a couple of days prior.

After BTMRR, we went on over to ride Pirates of the Caribbean, and then start working our way out of the park. DD was suddenly tired, and wanted to head back to the resort. It didn’t bother me at all. She talked about possibly swimming when we got back, and of course we needed to find something to eat for dinner too. We were leaving the next morning, and I had a little packing to do – so we both agreed it was a good idea to head back. But not without doing a wee bit of shopping on Main Street before we left. While we were in Town Square, outside the shop inside the Fire Station, we saw this, created by one of the sweeping CM’s, which I just HAD to capture this for my DIS Dad’s Club friends.

2010-0907-283.jpg

great pics stopher!!! you take better pics with one hand and infront of the camera than i do behind the camera.:lmao: we love the barn stormer also, the seats are a bit ruff on the butt but other than that its a great ride. we, dd and i , love thunder mtn also. we always ask to sit in the last row, seems to throw you around a little more. great update!:thumbsup2

As we approached the TTC to switch Monorails, she was devising a plan. We would board the Train, and head on over to Mickey’s Toontown Fair… she wanted to ride Goofy’s Barnstormer – if, as she said, if it was open.
Great to see her making the plan and following through with it!:thumbsup2

In keeping with our previous days and parks – we enjoyed the Barnstormer 3 times in a row! Woo hoo. She was in heaven. The first time we were in the very front row. The second time we went to the very back row, and then the third time we were back in the front. It was awesome, and she was just giggling, squealing, and having SUCH a good time. It was awesome!
Awesome x3!

Now that she had another signature in her little book, we enjoyed Mickey’s Philharmagic. Love that film. The wait was minimal, really just a few moments, as we entered the lobby just about 5 minutes before the show in progress ended. Not too bad. Soon enough we had our seats, and put on our “opera glasses” and once again were delighted by Donald’s antics.
I can just smell that apple pie now!

My daughter was beyond ecstatic! How many times do you think we rode BTMRR?!? Yep, you guessed it… 3 times in a row! She wanted to do it a 4th time… but then quickly said, “no – we didn’t do the others more than 3 times, so I think we’ll keep this one the same as the rest, just 3 times.” What a crack-up she is. There literally was no line, very few people on the train at all… in fact, between the 2nd and the 3rd times – NO ONE was waiting when the train pulled back in to the station, and the CM’s asked if we wanted to go again… of course we did! It was so very worth it to see the grin on her face that afternoon. Especially considering how sad and dejected she was just a couple of days prior.
Awesome^3!

You guys had an awesome day - hardly any lines, triple rides and a water drawing of Goofy! :worship:

Great update Stopher. I love how things came together to give your daughter (and her dad) a few magical hours in the Magic Kingdom!

As we approached the TTC to switch Monorails, she was devising a plan. We would board the Train, and head on over to Mickey’s Toontown Fair… she wanted to ride Goofy’s Barnstormer – if, as she said, if it was open.
You should be proud. That's a very good plan!:thumbsup2

He’s a good guy, that Peter Pan.
Yes he is! I've got to say that is probably my favorite Disney movie. I still don't want to grow up!

My daughter was beyond ecstatic! How many times do you think we rode BTMRR?!? Yep, you guessed it… 3 times in a row! She wanted to do it a 4th time… but then quickly said, “no – we didn’t do the others more than 3 times, so I think we’ll keep this one the same as the rest, just 3 times.”
Why don't I ever get this lucky??? I guess it is usually busier when I go, but still... I love her logic for only riding 3 times instead of 4, but I think I'd probably ride until they kicked me off if there was no line.:lmao:

A little late, but a great trip report. Looks like you are your princess had a great trip!

Part X: And Now It’s Time to Say Goodbye, to all our Company… M-I-C…See Ya Real Soon! (in November & December actually, in a bicoastal sort of way)

Inside the Fire Station’s shop, DD just HAD to have a Tramp to go with her Lady. I was happy to oblige.

2010-0907-284.jpg

On the bus back to the resort, my little lady fell asleep with her shoulder resting on mine. It was sweetness PLUS.

We got off the bus at Jambo House, and proceeded on in to The Mara, where once more we ate and enjoyed some Mickey Mouse cartoons. We had just one more night to enjoy this marvelous resort, and enjoy it we did. We checked out the savannahs, and then headed back over Kidani Village, where we enjoyed the pool one last time – and then grabbed a Mickey Bar and Itzakadoozi on our way back to the room for a final snack.

The next morning came all too quickly, and it was time to get up and get ready to go. We had an 7:30am Magical Express pick-up, so we needed to get going. We would eat breakfast at the airport.

Here are just a few final morning shots.

2010-0907-285.jpg

2010-0907-289.jpg

2010-0908-13.jpg

Waiting for the bus to arrive

2010-0908-16.jpg

2010-0908-23.jpg

Enjoying some breakfast at McDonald’s in the airport, while Lady & Tramp look on

2010-0908-36.jpg

2010-0908-40.jpg

This trip was very special on many levels. First for spending time with just my little girl; I wouldn’t trade that for anything. But also because we were able to take it when we did, rather than postpone it. We had been talking about and planning it for a long time… as I mentioned way back in the first post… and just a few weeks prior to this trip, life interrupted our family in a major way...

My DW’s father was diagnosed with cancer just weeks before this trip, and she was wanting to get out to CA to spend some time with him. We determined that the best plan of action was for her to fly west the day that our DD and I returned (long story, but it was the best plan), especially since my DW didn’t want to deprive DD of her long planned trip with daddy (we’d been planning it for about a year). So more about that later too, but rather than have 2 different parking fees, she drove us, then drove to the airport the day she was leaving/we were coming home, and then DD and I drove home, and I picked her up when she arrived back to Indiana. No long term parking charge at all, just about an hour and a half charge instead. We saved about $100 that way, so we were happy with it.

We needed to get back to our home airport and let DD see her mommy before my DW took off for a 10 night stay with her own father as he settled in to a new routine of in-home hospice care. I travel a bunch for work, and have never really cared if a plane is running a little late... but that day - I sure did. Our plane was on time, but the back-up and taxi process took a little longer than normal, and I was getting antsy. Someone was waiting back home to see my DD... and time was running out. We needed to leave! I found myself actually pushing the floor of the plane (like that would do anything at all) in nervous anticipation trying to get us to leave. Tapping my fingers on the arm rest, and consistently looking at my watch. Ugh. Leave already!!! FINALLY we were off...

Here is my sweet DD spending just a few moments with my sweet DW. Our paths crossed for all of about 20 minutes from the point that we got off our plane, and my DW had to get in line to board her plane. It was a wonderful 20 minutes, even though hard on my DD to have to say good bye for yet another 10 nights. But she was a real trooper despite it all. And both Lady & Tramp were good comforts for her in the days that followed.

2010-0908-41.jpg

We were blessed to go west as a family at Christmastime and spend 2 wonderful weeks with the family there. Sadly since that time, things have only gone downhill, and now here we are nearly 7 months later, and my DW is getting ready to go back out west in the next few weeks to spend another week + with her own father, quite possibly for the final time.

Thanks for reading along. It’s been verbose, it’s been long periods in between updates – but I appreciate the comments that have been made, and sharing this little bit of WDW fun with you. If you’re even remotely interested, the next visit is detailed in my bicoastal TR… link below

great finish stopher!!! nice pics as allways!! glad you and dd had a great time and look forward to reading your other reports.:thumbsup2

Fantastic write up, Stopher, as usual. Glad DD got a few minutes with mom before she had to jet off. We're still keeping your family in our prayers!

Your DD looks so cute in that picture sitting on the couch, she has that expression on her face, "I'm leaving Disneyworld today." :sad1:

Great trip report as usual Stopher. I always enjoy reading your reports. You have a wonderful daughter to be proud of, but I'm sure you know that already. I love the fact that you have been able to take individual trips with your children. Even if they don't appreciate it now, those are memories they will look back fondly on for the rest of their lives.

Thank you Stopher for this trip report. I will probably never get the chance to take individual trips like this with my DDs but it was fun living it out vicariously through you. :wizard:

Just catching up on the rest of the TR. I love, love, LOVE the pictures of your daughter on the Barnstormer and BTMRR. You captured the joy on her face so many times. Priceless!

That will always be a special memory for her, and I'm glad you got the chance to go. Glad you could have a few minutes with DW at the airport in between as well.

I'm sorry things are going downhill with your FIL. We'll keep him and your family in our prayers. :goodvibes

Also loved the pics of your DD on BTMR - too cute!

Your pic of Magical Express made me think they need to change the name of the buses that take you back to the airport for your trip home because it's not so magical :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter