3rd Annual We are "NEVER" going to Disney in the summer again"

Your anniversary kiss picture with DH :love: :cloud9: :goodvibes

But the boys expressions in the same picture :rotfl: :lmao:

That is a great picture :laughing:

I AM SOOOOOO JEALOUS YOU RODE TSM 4X'S B4 NOON :yay: :woohoo:

ANd that's even missing your boat trying to catch the bus - were you having a Led Zepplin moment wondering if anyone had seen that confounded bus :rotfl2:

Hmm, a duck that isn't Donald? Let me guess, you decided to walk back to your resort & raced a family of ducks swimming?

I'm glad you enjoyed the photo! Yes, the boys' expressions are priceless. You can just see the rolling eyes and hear the "EWW! Mom!"

Riding TSM 4 times is a great way to spend part of our final day. Especially since it didn't involve huge waits in line.

I can't believe we headed for the bus stop! I think it was just habit- heading right out of the lobby instead of left to the boat docks. Or maybe it is old age. We had a similar moment in October at the Washington DC airport. When we arrived, we looked for a posting of our flight to Boston, but it wasn't listed. We looked on the board for a good minute before Ben interjected "Aren't we flying into Manchester?"

Wow! That's amazing that you rode TSM 4 times! It was down for refurb when we were there in August. :sad1:

Amanda

Have the kids been on TSM on a previous trip? Will they get a chance next week? It is such a nice attraction that everyone in the family can enjoy and nice that the kids probably know all of the characters.

We finally saw TS3 this past weekend. Enjoyed it, but it hit close to home as my oldest son is entering his teen years.

Holy smokes woman! I can't believe you rode Toy Story Mania four times! We're doing good to get in one ride per visit.

I think we managed to ride TSM 6 times in our week-long trip. But I still can't get a decent score!

My kids have definitely been on TSM before and have already announced that it's a "must-do" for our upcoming trip. I planned our park days so we'll go to DHS on the one day that I'm sure we can get there early. Just to make sure they get to ride!

Amanda

I know I am late to this party, but at least I made it before it was closed.

I totally 'get' you. You have a great family and I love the way you write your trip reports. It will take me a while to get all caught up, but just wanted to drop a note to let you know you have another TR fan. :)

My kids have definitely been on TSM before and have already announced that it's a "must-do" for our upcoming trip. I planned our park days so we'll go to DHS on the one day that I'm sure we can get there early. Just to make sure they get to ride!

Amanda

:wizard::wizard::wizard:

Here's some pixie dust for a few rides on TSM during your trip!

I know I am late to this party, but at least I made it before it was closed.

I totally 'get' you. You have a great family and I love the way you write your trip reports. It will take me a while to get all caught up, but just wanted to drop a note to let you know you have another TR fan. :)

:welcome:

I'm really glad to have you aboard! Thank you for the kind words! If you stick around, I think you find that my son Ben (9) is a lot like your son, at least based on the desciption from your PTR. He loves video games (a LOT), tv, eating, science and movies too. Hasn't quite gotten into the Harry Potter Universe yet, but I just started reading Book 1 to him at bedtime. My older son is a HP fan, though.

Thanks again for stopping in and hope to talk to you again, soon!

It was around 12:30 as we were exiting the park. As I have described previously, we are not big fans of the HS/EPCOT boats. They are really hot (I read somewhere that the air conditioning has not worked for quite some time and the windows don’t open). Plus the boats can get really crowded. We have successfully raced the boat back to the Beach Club a couple of times. Should we???

No Way Jose! It is the middle of the day and WAY too hot to walk for 20 minutes in the blazing sun. Plus, we haven’t eaten lunch yet, so that is our main priority at this point. We decide we will take the boat all the way to EPCOT, and get some international takeout to bring back to our BC room.

We board the bus and see a familiar face from last year: Mike from Lowell (MA), about 30 minutes from where we live. His narration during the trip always revolves around his dedication to the Red Sox and his “non-appreciation” of the Yankees. He is wicked funny. For those of you who are not native New Englanders, that a good thing.

IMG_2479.jpg

MikefromLowell.jpg

He also has a trained duck that hangs around on the boat, does a few tricks on cue and then flies off as the boat approaches the Swan hotel.

IMG_2473.jpg

It almost made the boat ride enjoyable.

IMG_2480.jpg

When we landed at EPCOT, we decided to split up. Mark would go with the boys to France to get something to eat there, I would head to Morocco.
Now I have a reputation at Disney to uphold. Whenever I split up from the boys they are always amazed at what I am able to accomplish while we are separated. In slang-speak, I majorly “pone” them! My goal today was to beat them back to our room, or at least catch up to them when they were headed out of France.

I could have had them, too, if it weren’t for…

The Photopass Guy at the Fountain in front of France!

Another of my Disney curses is I can’t pass up the chance to get my money’s worth out of the Photopass CD. It may seem vain, but if there is a photographer with no line, I’m gonna stop! Especially if I am alone, because then I don’t have to argue with the boys about it.

So although I am lugging the food I just purchased, my face is red and sweaty and I am in a race that nobody but me knows about, I stopped for photos.

The background is beautiful, and I am so pleased with the photos that I am using one as my Facebook Profile.

Photo0298.jpg

Photo0301.jpg

Pictures snapped, I start back on the journey to the Beach Club. And up ahead, I see Mark, Nate and Ben, just crossing the bridge from France to the International Gateway. I call out to Mark. He stops, turns around, I wave, then he turns around and keeps walking!

I pick up the pace to try to catch up with them, but I am racing the heat. And losing!

I see the guys taking the turnoff to the secret entrance to the Beach Club. I call out again. Nothing.

Finally, I make it into the secret entrance. Ah, air conditioning! As I navigate the hallways, I keep seeing the guys making turns in front of me. But I don’t want to call out and disturb anyone who might be in their rooms.

Finally, I caught up with them in the lobby, and we were able to ride the elevator together back to our room.

Here’s pictures of our lunch, along with a story:

IMG_2486.jpg

IMG_2489.jpg

IMG_2487.jpg

IMG_2488.jpg

IMG_2491.jpg

No Brulee for You!

Mark ordered sandwiches for the boys, and wanted to get crème brulee for dessert. Unfortunately, the CM would not sell it to them. He asked if they would be eating there, and when Mark answered that he would be taking it back to the Beach Club, the CM said it would never make it back there in the heat.

Fortunately, the chocolate mousse was pretty good.

Still ahead:
I swim with the fishes.
Ohana means… (Exhausted) Family
A spectacular, solitary finale!

Thanks!!!

You'll probably appreciate this: On another TR, there is a guy from Boston wearing a t-shirt that says

"Rs ah fah losahs!"

I so want that shirt.

That would be awesome- definitely would need to get one for several of my family members.

Funny story - though my hubbie has lived in RI > 25 years but he grew up in PA (Don't worry - we have made a total RedSox/Pats fan out of him). When I was pregnant with my son he begged me to try to pronounce my Rs so our kids woould-:rotfl2:;)

Your family sounds like mine....if there's any kind of competition to be hard, we will definitely try and out do one another. You know good and well your boys saw you waving at them but didn't want to stop and have you beat them or catch up with them. :rotfl:

The lunches look delish. We have hardly ever given much thought to the world showcase counter service eateries.

Thanks for the TSM pixie dust!
Love the races!!! I'm from a competitive family so I get it!

Amanda

That would be awesome- definitely would need to get one for several of my family members.

Funny story - though my hubbie has lived in RI > 25 years but he grew up in PA (Don't worry - we have made a total RedSox/Pats fan out of him). When I was pregnant with my son he begged me to try to pronounce my Rs so our kids woould-:rotfl2:;)

So the big question is: Do the kids speak with a New England accent or not?

Your family sounds like mine....if there's any kind of competition to be hard, we will definitely try and out do one another. You know good and well your boys saw you waving at them but didn't want to stop and have you beat them or catch up with them. :rotfl:

The lunches look delish. We have hardly ever given much thought to the world showcase counter service eateries.

Yeah, there is a major competive streak that runs through my side of the family. As you might imagine, family get togethers can get quite interesting when we whip out the board games. And there have been some pretty cutthroat Whiffle Ball games, too!

I could eat anywhere in the World Showcase and be happy, table service or counter service. I love trying all different types of food, especially the ones I can't get all the time. Moroccan/Middle Eastern/Greek flavors are some of my favorites.

So many restaurants, so little time!

Thanks for the TSM pixie dust!
Love the races!!! I'm from a competitive family so I get it!

Amanda

Can't wait to hear all about your trip when you get back! I hope you get a chance to "run" into some of the other DIS-marathoners.

Happy New Year Dee!

I love the "Rs" t-shirt!!! My mom is from Boston - lived there for over 30 years. Then she moved to MN for over 40 years. You can STILL hear some of her accent on certain words. :laughing:
I'm pretty sure we had that same boat driver at least once last summer.

Man, I so would've taken my chances with a creme brulee. I would have eaten it on the way if I had to!

HAPPY 2011 EVERYONE!!!

Happy New Year Dee!

I love the "Rs" t-shirt!!! My mom is from Boston - lived there for over 30 years. Then she moved to MN for over 40 years. You can STILL hear some of her accent on certain words. :laughing:
I'm pretty sure we had that same boat driver at least once last summer.

Man, I so would've taken my chances with a creme brulee. I would have eaten it on the way if I had to!

I'm glad the mention of the "R's" shirt has made an impression.

We saw Mike from Lowell once in 2009 and once in July 2010. I wonder if it is the same duck.

Great idea for eating the Creme Brulee on the way. If the guys had done that, I DEFINITELY would have caught up to them!

BTW- I have mentioned that we frequently bring takeout back to our room, especially from Sunshine Seasons, Tangierine Cafe and some of other World Showcase restaurants, they are not always prepared for carryout. We have to bring our own large bags to transport multiple meals (once we borrowed a shopping bag from Soarin'). My handy XL Ziploc bag that we use for Kali River Rapids can be helpful for this purpose, too.

Happy New Year Dee!!!
You are a true fountain of knowledge! You've thought of things that I've never imagined!

Amanda

Happy New Year Dee!!!
You are a true fountain of knowledge! You've thought of things that I've never imagined!

Amanda

Thanks for the compliment! Before my trip last year, I started compiling a file of useful information, website links, hints, just a hodge podge of assorted nuggets. It's like 18 pages now!

I e-mail it to friends and family when they tell me they are planning a trip to Disney. I also PMed an abridged version to a few Y&B DISers last summer (I can't remember if I sent it to you or not).

Most of the people I have sent it to are still talking to me! :rotfl:

I admit I didn't read everyone's post but I agree OP. I will NEVER go to WDW in the Summer and that includes Oct. AGAIN.

I admit I didn't read everyone's post but I agree OP. I will NEVER go to WDW in the Summer and that includes Oct. AGAIN.

Sorry you haven't enjoyed your summer/October trips. :(

Was it the crowds, heat, tourgroups?

My trip report title is actually tounge-in-cheek. This summer was our third year in a row going in the summer after my husband had declared we would NEVER go again in summer. Our August 2008 was disappointing due to my son's illness and Tropical Storm Faye, but our July 2009 and July 2010 trips were fantastic.

Hi Dee,

Continuing to enjoy the updates, the great photos, and all of the similarities between our boys.

I can't get anyone to stop in one place to watch Illuminations anymore, either! Seems they are always on their way out the IG to get to SAB for swimming. But once in March, we were back in the room by 8:45 and our youngest had already fallen asleep, so I was able to watch Illuminations from our balcony while he slept and my husband and the two older boys swam. Loved it!

We're talking about the boat/walk race from DHS to BC and the bus/monorail race from MK to BC in February! Just need to agree on the teams!

And TSM - we're impressed!

Finally, I'll second Amanda's compliment, as you already know how much we appreciated your summer tips!!

What's next on the vacation planning agenda?

Hi Dee,

Continuing to enjoy the updates, the great photos, and all of the similarities between our boys.

I can't get anyone to stop in one place to watch Illuminations anymore, either! Seems they are always on their way out the IG to get to SAB for swimming. But once in March, we were back in the room by 8:45 and our youngest had already fallen asleep, so I was able to watch Illuminations from our balcony while he slept and my husband and the two older boys swam. Loved it!

We're talking about the boat/walk race from DHS to BC and the bus/monorail race from MK to BC in February! Just need to agree on the teams!

And TSM - we're impressed!

Finally, I'll second Amanda's compliment, as you already know how much we appreciated your summer tips!!

What's next on the vacation planning agenda?

Thanks once again for the kind comments!

February is a much better time for the boat races and bus/monorail races than July! FYI- the bus to/from MK will always win unless something goes incredibly wrong, but the ride on the monorail is so enjoyable, especially if you have the time for Spaceship Earth or other attractions before you return to the resort.

Your question about our travel plans inspired me to update my signature with a ticker, even though Mark thinks it is strange to have a non-Disney ticker here. We are going back to the the Barcelo in the Riviera Maya in February.
IIRC, you have been there too.

Nothing else is booked for us at this time. Mark and I need to figure out where (and when) to go to celebrate our 25th anniversay which is this year! Yikes!

Kids would love to go back to Atlantis, too, so I am thinking April 2012.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter