2019 Disneyland After Dark Events: Sweethearts’ Nite and 90s Nite

Any reports on last night ?iam going to the 90s one so curious!

So it was a fun night (as any night at Disneyland is) but I was dissapointed in the party.
There really wasn't the value for money that we have had at the Halloween and Christmas parties, it was just lacking much that was special about the party night that I couldn't have just done any other night in the park.

There were 3 rare character meet and greets, but it was the usual "they will be wandering around" there were huge crowds trying to find them. So we managed to meet Hercules and Meg, and Milo and Kida.

There were several backdrops for photos, the rapunzel one did look amazing but they had hours line up for them, some of the others look like things I could order from Ali express and do at home.
Photopass was included but the only photopass photographers around were with the back drops.

The royal ball was cute, and there was another dance party in tomorow land with some other rare characters. There were love hearts projected onto main street and the Matterhorn.

Lines wise it was about a 25 minute wait for space mountain, 30 minutes for Indy, 5 for pirates at midnight.

Just compared to say the Halloween party, there was no special parade, no special fireworks, no included candy (or in the case of christmas hot choc and cookies) and less meet and greets, and those that were there were hard to find. It was like what I think Valentines night should be on the 14th, not enough for a specially ticketed event.

Thank you for the report. That’s a bummer. For that amount and only 5 hours you do expect more. At least themes treats or a parade. The wait times are not great either.
I have read that the 90s party will have special fireworks and merch so finger crossed.

We were extremely disappointed in the Sweetheart Event.

Part of it was our fault for having high expectations and the other part was what I believe a failure from Disney. w

We showed up at 6pm and entry was quick and easy. They gave us some lanyards and a wrist ban. We were hoping some of the Valentines snacks would be available for purchase immediately but that wasmt the case. We had to wait until 9pm to try some of the snacks. At 9pm when they started selling the Valentines snacks , all the lines got super long.

The backdrop photo booths opened at 9pm but they started shutting them down at midnight. That meant that guests only had 3 hours to take their photos at the various backdrops. That was not enough time since the lines were about 30-60 mins long each and there were about 5-6 props. That meant you couldn’t even take advantage of some of the short lines.

Guests had to decide if they were going to ride some of the rides , try the different foods or wait in long lines To get their photos taken. It was just not enough time

I love Disneyland but we will never buy any more of these after dark events. Definitely not worth it.

So far, these reviews confirm our decision not to attend this event. There's only so much money in the Disney budget this year, especially with the expected second price hike, so we decided to make MHP our after hours event. At least with MHP, we pretty much know what to expect, even if some changes are rumored to be in the works (always more rumors...).

This isn't our first After Dark event, so maybe knowing what we were getting into in advance helped set us up for success. So those going to 90s Nite, learn from the mistakes of those of us at Sweethearts Nite ;) We learned from the first event that you just can't do everything, come at 6 to get any non event stuff done before the event starts, you need to pick out what is important to you in advance, if exclusive food isn't important to you then eat before the event starts cuz those event food lines got 3 times as long at our first After Dark event than they did at this one and these food lines were still longer than I'd like to wait. Also if you are an AP holder then go get your free AP button before the event official starts. We brought an Ipad loaded up with digital versions of our favorite tabletop boardgames to play in the longer lines, you might want to bring a charger to play heads up on your phone, or answer Disney trivia, or have some sort of in line entertainment if you aren't the kind of person that can entertain themselves (I'm not, I get line anxiety yuck). If you wanted to know where certain characters were or when certain parts of the event were happening there were lots of cast members around that did have all the info but also lots that were apoligetic that they didn't know what was up at all, so you just had to sometimes ask and ask more than once. That info should have been better communicated on the map tho, we shouldn't have had to hunt down higher up CMs or wander all around the parks all night to figure out what was actually happening.

With that sort of stuff in mind we were able to meet Milo & Kida from Atlantis, Mickey & Minnie in their Valentine's Day outfits, Clarabelle & Horrace and saw a few other cool ones but didn't bother waiting for them. We danced with Clarice, Chip, Dale, Max & Goofy at the Tomorrowland dance party, saw more rare characters there after but wanted to go check out the other entertainment too. Peeked in at the Ball and took pictures of the characters dancing with guests but didn't time it well to join in ourselves. We got a lot of photo ops done by timing those right: basic heart themed backdrop in Tomorrowland (waited over an hour but that is because we went to do this one before the others opened, before the event start time, to get it over with), Sleeping Beauty (waited 15 mins), Little Mermaid (waited 1 hour 3 minutes, I track the longer lines with a stopwatch to show myself they are not as long in reality as they are in my head, this time it was actually as long as I had anticipated since the line stretched from Edelweiss Snacks to the edge of the sub lake), Up (20 minute wait because we waited til the end & it is a bit secluded), Toy Story (NO WAIT, it looked like CMs were standing at the entrance to close off the line but when I asked them they said it was still open and only one other couple was ahead of us) and the Lady & the Tramp photo op (no wait but this one shouldn't count, a very kind CM offered to take pictures of a few couples with the backdrop before packing it up, after the lights for it were off, after the event was technically already over). We also sat and listened to the dueling piano players (and talented singers from the audience invited to come up and sing with them) for a while at Rancho. Every ride we walked by was a complete walk on with the exception of Space and Big Thunder that had 15-20 min wait times but we didn't bother with any rides because our priority was the event exclusive stuff and also the parks have been dead this trip and we already got to ride everything we wanted during regular park hours. There were only 3 things we had wanted to do that we missed out on (and that's not to say that we were disappointed, or couldn't have done them if we prioritized them over the rest)- Herc & Meg (their line was 1/2 hour - an hour long most times we walked by so we decided to skip it), The Tangled photo op (we were willing to wait the 2 hours for it because it's special to us but we rolled up at 11:30 and they had already cut off the line for the night because it was over a 2 hour line yikes) and the band playing on the moonlit Mark Twain trips (it was just too cold, we simply wimped out of this one). My biggest complaints were that the map/program for the night was too vague (list locations of characters not just their names, list times of events but don't imply the Ball goes all night when it's only at short scheduled intervals, say which photo ops are where because we just knew that there were 4 in Fantasyland and an idea of where A photo op was but not WHAT photo op it would be. We would have gone straight for Tangled if we knew it was the one hiding in Pixie Hollow and not one of the other 3 that we rushed to first) and that it was SO COLD but that one isn't Disney's fault ;) Overall it was a really fun event & we will keep coming to these After Dark event as long as the theme and budget keep working out for us. I'm really looking forward to 90s Nite. I hope that those running these events learn from the mis steps of this one but if not then me & DH are ready to tackle it all again in a month regardless :)

This isn't our first After Dark event, so maybe knowing what we were getting into in advance helped set us up for success. So those going to 90s Nite, learn from the mistakes of those of us at Sweethearts Nite ;) We learned from the first event that you just can't do everything, come at 6 to get any non event stuff done before the event starts, you need to pick out what is important to you in advance, if exclusive food isn't important to you then eat before the event starts cuz those event food lines got 3 times as long at our first After Dark event than they did at this one and these food lines were still longer than I'd like to wait. Also if you are an AP holder then go get your free AP button before the event official starts. We brought an Ipad loaded up with digital versions of our favorite tabletop boardgames to play in the longer lines, you might want to bring a charger to play heads up on your phone, or answer Disney trivia, or have some sort of in line entertainment if you aren't the kind of person that can entertain themselves (I'm not, I get line anxiety yuck). If you wanted to know where certain characters were or when certain parts of the event were happening there were lots of cast members around that did have all the info but also lots that were apoligetic that they didn't know what was up at all, so you just had to sometimes ask and ask more than once. That info should have been better communicated on the map tho, we shouldn't have had to hunt down higher up CMs or wander all around the parks all night to figure out what was actually happening.

With that sort of stuff in mind we were able to meet Milo & Kida from Atlantis, Mickey & Minnie in their Valentine's Day outfits, Clarabelle & Horrace and saw a few other cool ones but didn't bother waiting for them. We danced with Clarice, Chip, Dale, Max & Goofy at the Tomorrowland dance party, saw more rare characters there after but wanted to go check out the other entertainment too. Peeked in at the Ball and took pictures of the characters dancing with guests but didn't time it well to join in ourselves. We got a lot of photo ops done by timing those right: basic heart themed backdrop in Tomorrowland (waited over an hour but that is because we went to do this one before the others opened, before the event start time, to get it over with), Sleeping Beauty (waited 15 mins), Little Mermaid (waited 1 hour 3 minutes, I track the longer lines with a stopwatch to show myself they are not as long in reality as they are in my head, this time it was actually as long as I had anticipated since the line stretched from Edelweiss Snacks to the edge of the sub lake), Up (20 minute wait because we waited til the end & it is a bit secluded), Toy Story (NO WAIT, it looked like CMs were standing at the entrance to close off the line but when I asked them they said it was still open and only one other couple was ahead of us) and the Lady & the Tramp photo op (no wait but this one shouldn't count, a very kind CM offered to take pictures of a few couples with the backdrop before packing it up, after the lights for it were off, after the event was technically already over). We also sat and listened to the dueling piano players (and talented singers from the audience invited to come up and sing with them) for a while at Rancho. Every ride we walked by was a complete walk on with the exception of Space and Big Thunder that had 15-20 min wait times but we didn't bother with any rides because our priority was the event exclusive stuff and also the parks have been dead this trip and we already got to ride everything we wanted during regular park hours. There were only 3 things we had wanted to do that we missed out on (and that's not to say that we were disappointed, or couldn't have done them if we prioritized them over the rest)- Herc & Meg (their line was 1/2 hour - an hour long most times we walked by so we decided to skip it), The Tangled photo op (we were willing to wait the 2 hours for it because it's special to us but we rolled up at 11:30 and they had already cut off the line for the night because it was over a 2 hour line yikes) and the band playing on the moonlit Mark Twain trips (it was just too cold, we simply wimped out of this one). My biggest complaints were that the map/program for the night was too vague (list locations of characters not just their names, list times of events but don't imply the Ball goes all night when it's only at short scheduled intervals, say which photo ops are where because we just knew that there were 4 in Fantasyland and an idea of where A photo op was but not WHAT photo op it would be. We would have gone straight for Tangled if we knew it was the one hiding in Pixie Hollow and not one of the other 3 that we rushed to first) and that it was SO COLD but that one isn't Disney's fault ;) Overall it was a really fun event & we will keep coming to these After Dark event as long as the theme and budget keep working out for us. I'm really looking forward to 90s Nite. I hope that those running these events learn from the mis steps of this one but if not then me & DH are ready to tackle it all again in a month regardless :)
Thank you for sharing all of the details of your experience! I love that you time things - I do that for many things at DL, too, because it’s amazing how different that actual number can be from perceptions (I shared here once how we got in a very long RSR FP return line with a DL blogger, got to the front in I believe 13 minutes, and then she was commenting/noting to herself that it had been a half-hour wait! Misinformation abounds...)

Anyway, it sounds like you got to do a nice amount of unique stuff, but Disney should definitely step up the clarity/communication of what’s available.

I have not done any of these events, but I just don’t understand the appeal of spending $100+ to stand in lines all night long? It sounds like the only thing that doesn’t have long lines at the party is the rides?

This isn't our first After Dark event, so maybe knowing what we were getting into in advance helped set us up for success. So those going to 90s Nite, learn from the mistakes of those of us at Sweethearts Nite ;) We learned from the first event that you just can't do everything, come at 6 to get any non event stuff done before the event starts, you need to pick out what is important to you in advance, if exclusive food isn't important to you then eat before the event starts cuz those event food lines got 3 times as long at our first After Dark event than they did at this one and these food lines were still longer than I'd like to wait. Also if you are an AP holder then go get your free AP button before the event official starts. We brought an Ipad loaded up with digital versions of our favorite tabletop boardgames to play in the longer lines, you might want to bring a charger to play heads up on your phone, or answer Disney trivia, or have some sort of in line entertainment if you aren't the kind of person that can entertain themselves (I'm not, I get line anxiety yuck). If you wanted to know where certain characters were or when certain parts of the event were happening there were lots of cast members around that did have all the info but also lots that were apoligetic that they didn't know what was up at all, so you just had to sometimes ask and ask more than once. That info should have been better communicated on the map tho, we shouldn't have had to hunt down higher up CMs or wander all around the parks all night to figure out what was actually happening...
Thank you for your detailed report. This event sounds like other after hours events, e.g. AP events, MHP, etc. The better prepared you are and the more realistic your expectations are, the better you'll enjoy the event. You are absolutely right that you have to decide your priorities in advance because there is just no way to do everything offered in one night. I'm glad you had a good time and didn't freeze!

I have not done any of these events, but I just don’t understand the appeal of spending $100+ to stand in lines all night long? It sounds like the only thing that doesn’t have long lines at the party is the rides?
Yes, the only things that consistently had short lines were the rides & the restaurants that were open but not offering anything special other than their regular menu.

Some ppl come to special events for different reasons. I personally see very little value in free candy, basic hot chocolate & popcorn after spending over $100 to get in but obviously many other ppl feel differently. I personally don’t see short ride times as the biggest value & I wouldn’t ever go on a single ride at one of these events. At this event ppl lined up for the hot new trendy Minnie Mouse popcorn bucket, not my jam but I don’t judge them for finding joy in a plastic purse necklace. Everyone defines what makes an event “worth it” or not a bit differently & that’s ok. That’s part of why they do offer such a variety of things to do at these events, so you can choose what’s worth investing your time in.

Seeing all the couples come in dressed in their matching outfits & having a great time made me smile. I also saw single ppl at Sweethearts Nite having a blast just getting to meet characters, do photo ops in their disneybounds & cosplays, or dancing with the princes & princesses at the ball. Also you highly underestimate the value of practical zero kids & zero strollers in the parks. ;)

Honestly, for me the reason we pay $100 when we are already AP holders who can get in free any day of the year is for the unique once in a lifetime experience. My husband and I get to go on magical date nights in the parks, take beautiful photos of these great memories that we print & put up on our walls, we dance the night away with one another & with characters, listen to a variety of live musical performances like a walking concert experience, get to meet & interact with rare characters we would never otherwise have a chance to see or haven’t seen since childhood. For the 2 of us, it’s both romantic & nostalgic at the same time in a way that a normal trip to Disney can get close to but only these special events truly provide.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reviews everyone!

I'll be attending 90s nite. We'll be focusing on rare characters. Don't care about the special food or backdrops. We'll also be there for quite a few days around 90s Nite, so I might try to do a few rides but I won't stress them.

I thought maybe we'd try to catch the special fireworks from over by the Matterhorn or IASW.

So I gather it was hard to find which character was meeting where?

Thank you for the detailed report!
Iam going to 90s nite and my focus is on the rides, maybe the food ( depending on the offerings) and the general fun atmosphere .and as you said no strollers !!! We experienced that on the electrical parade after dark and that event was fantastic.
I did go to the Star Wars one ( May the 4th ) and that was extremely disorganized.by the sounds of it , Disney really hasn’t learnt anything from that event. The CM s were clueless, and the map was incomplete or inaccurate.

I thought maybe we'd try to catch the special fireworks from over by the Matterhorn or IASW.
Not a bad idea. The fireworks during this event (yes we did have fireworks despite what others said) were Mickey Magical Mix (on a weekday like this it wouldn't have any fireworks but still have been shown to reg guests, yep kinda lame and probably why ppl said we didn't have any). We were waiting for the Ariel backdrop during Mickey's Magical Mix & could still see the fireworks from there but none of the projections and I ran over to the bathrooms during it and around the parks in general to scope out a few things to figure out what we would do next while DH saved our spot in line. The crowds on main st and leading up to the castle (even while covered in scrim) were the biggest, then the area around small world was second most crowded. The crowds in those areas were still WAY less than if you watched it on a normal night and not bad at all. The Matterhorn had barely anyone watching from around it all and they were doing the projects on the Matterhorn as well. Specifically the view of the Matterhorn up close, from near the Alice themed bathrooms, was really nice & empty. People were able to set up their cameras on small gorilla pods and monopods all over during the show it was so empty.

So I gather it was hard to find which character was meeting where?
I did go to the Star Wars one ( May the 4th ) and that was extremely disorganized.by the sounds of it , Disney really hasn’t learnt anything from that event. The CM s were clueless, and the map was incomplete or inaccurate.
Yep, the map had icons that indicated where photo spots would be (but not exactly which ones would be there) but not where characters would be. They didn't even say what land or what hours to look for them. You had to guess or ask a CM. Many CMs only knew about their specific job/area but nothing at all of the rest of the event, then some other CMs seemed to know EVERYTHING. They needed to communicate with their entire team better IMO. Or, you know, just print that info on the map. I guess they didn't want to lock characters into specific areas/schedules and give them the freedom to "surprise and delight" guests but the reality is the majority of us would rather just know what is up.

The value of this event will be different for different people. I am from out of state, don't have an AP, and usually go to the Park every couple years. For us, Sweetheart night was a great value.

The fact that it is an evening event means we can still go to the Park on our travel day. Without having to get up unholy early for a red-eye flight. This is a big plus. Nothing worse that getting to Anaheim at 2pm and having to spend the rest of the day/evening not-doing-Disneyland.

Most people at the event seemed to be in lines for special event schwag/treats/etc. We kept passing super long lines for popcorn. My first-visit-to-the-Park GF was rather mystified. Because most people were locals who were there for specific things (that we honestly mostly didn't care about) it meant that the Park wasn't crowded at all. And we found most the rides to be near walk-on.

First time visit - check
At night - check
With almost no crowds, for a relaxed beautiful stroll from walk-on ride to walk-on ride - priceless!

The value of this event will be different for different people. I am from out of state, don't have an AP, and usually go to the Park every couple years. For us, Sweetheart night was a great value.

The fact that it is an evening event means we can still go to the Park on our travel day. Without having to get up unholy early for a red-eye flight. This is a big plus. Nothing worse that getting to Anaheim at 2pm and having to spend the rest of the day/evening not-doing-Disneyland.

Most people at the event seemed to be in lines for special event schwag/treats/etc. We kept passing super long lines for popcorn. My first-visit-to-the-Park GF was rather mystified. Because most people were locals who were there for specific things (that we honestly mostly didn't care about) it meant that the Park wasn't crowded at all. And we found most the rides to be near walk-on.

First time visit - check
At night - check
With almost no crowds, for a relaxed beautiful stroll from walk-on ride to walk-on ride - priceless!
They were waiting for the new Minnie Mouse popcorn bucket. Yep, with everyone waiting for event swag/food, rare characters & photo spots sure does make for a wonderfully “empty” park. Ride lines & walkways back to the reasonable low level crowds that you never see in the parks anymore outside of the rainiest of days.

47179780161_74337d61ef_b.jpg

I'll post a longer trip report with tons of photos from Sweethearts Nite in a separate post once I finish editing all of the photos. For now, really looking forward to 90s Nite as we finished putting together our outfits! DH found an oversized grunge looking flannel & some wide legged jeans complete with carpenter belt loop for real cheap at the local thrift store. The Powerline shirt is just from Target, easy peasy since there is Goofy Movie/Powerline merch everywhere these days. I had it in my head that I needed a head to toe denim mickey themed 90s look. So off to ebay I went for all of my pieces after striking out at our local thrift stores. Can't wait to see what these fanny packs that they're giving us at the event will look like. To my fellow 90s Nite goers- do you have your outfits planned already?

I have no idea what to wear actually! I figure it's going to be cold so I'll want some warm clothing. I should hit some thrift stores, that's a good idea! My daughter wants to go grunge.

I have no idea what to wear actually! I figure it's going to be cold so I'll want some warm clothing. I should hit some thrift stores, that's a good idea! My daughter wants to go grunge.
Yep, we are also a bit worried about the cold. It is currently expected (as much as weather forecasts can be trusted) to be about 15 degrees warmer during 90s Nite than it was on Sweethearts Nite but I wore my big winter coat over my outfit last time and just took it off for photos only. I'm hoping I can get away with leaving the coat behind, but might just bring our coats anyways and stuff them in a locker if we end up being ok without them. Then there is the part of me that is too obsessed about details who is like "OR lets go to the thrift stores again and pick up some 90s style warm jackets just in case".

Yep, we are also a bit worried about the cold. It is currently expected (as much as weather forecasts can be trusted) to be about 15 degrees warmer during 90s Nite than it was on Sweethearts Nite but I wore my big winter coat over my outfit last time and just took it off for photos only. I'm hoping I can get away with leaving the coat behind, but might just bring our coats anyways and stuff them in a locker if we end up being ok without them. Then there is the part of me that is too obsessed about details who is like "OR lets go to the thrift stores again and pick up some 90s style warm jackets just in case".

I know! So many factors! Yesterday I saw an older woman wearing the best/most obnoxious 90s looking coat and I wanted to go up to her and say ‘ma’am, you don’t know me but may I borrow your coat for a trip to Disneyland next week? I promise to return it!’

47179780161_74337d61ef_b.jpg

I'll post a longer trip report with tons of photos from Sweethearts Nite in a separate post once I finish editing all of the photos. For now, really looking forward to 90s Nite as we finished putting together our outfits! DH found an oversized grunge looking flannel & some wide legged jeans complete with carpenter belt loop for real cheap at the local thrift store. The Powerline shirt is just from Target, easy peasy since there is Goofy Movie/Powerline merch everywhere these days. I had it in my head that I needed a head to toe denim mickey themed 90s look. So off to ebay I went for all of my pieces after striking out at our local thrift stores. Can't wait to see what these fanny packs that they're giving us at the event will look like. To my fellow 90s Nite goers- do you have your outfits planned already?

Thank you for asking!! lol I am driving my friends and family crazy talking about 90s night! I plan on wearing leggings to stay warm, a bit worried about the weather

file_04bbe755.jpeg file_39418c87.jpeg 1.png

Thank you for asking!! lol I am driving my friends and family crazy talking about 90s night! I plan on wearing leggings to stay warm, a bit worried about the weather.
Love your outfit! Also thanks for reminding me that I own leggings lol. I can just throw those and a thermal top on under my outfit if it gets cold & you wouldn’t even be able to tell. No need for us to go buy coats.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter