2019 Disneyland After Dark Events: Sweethearts’ Nite and 90s Nite

Love your outfit! Also thanks for reminding me that I own leggings lol. I can just throw those and a thermal top on under my outfit if it gets cold & you wouldn’t even be able to tell. No need for us to go buy coats.

Thank you!! "see" you there!

We are attending 90s night this week as well. I have so many fond memories of the Disney Afternoon years at Dland. It kind of tickles me that some of the "collectibles" they will be giving out are things I already got when they originally were distributed. I love that they might be piping in 90s music around the park, and I hope we do get to meet/see some of the 90s Disney characters. However, I am really trying to lower my expectations. First, DH won't even be there until at least 7pm, maybe a little later, so we won't be heading into Dland early. I will be getting to the resort before 6, though, so I think I'm going to pop over to DCA and enjoy F&W for a bit :banana: Second, we can't stay super-late because DH has to be up by 6am to get ready for work. Third, we haven't done any outfit planning, so I guess we'll just be going as 90s teens who grew up and got boring, lol.

This is our first "after dark" event. Maybe it will be worth the $$$ just to get on the rides with little to no wait. Weather looks cold, but not quite as cold as we've had it in the past month. Still, I'm a Cali girl, so I'll be wearing a warm coat and a hat.

Driving in from Phoenix, we’re leaving in a few hours.....see you there!

Party report, we LOVED it. I have been to a few of these and last nights was really fun. Of course the lines to meet characters were really long as well as the merch ( it was a pin and t shirt) .but the selection of characters, picture ops, food and the fireworks were really special. The rides were more or less with no wait especially toward the end. There was a DJ in Main Street and people were dancing and having a great time.
Honestly the only bad thing was that the trams broke down ( really Disney) around closing time and we all had to walk in the rain to mickey parking structure. A lot of people used the captain marvel posters we got at the end as umbrellas!

We loved it too! There was no way to do it all but we enjoyed what we did. Once we saw how long the character lines were we ditched that idea. But we loved the dance party and short waits and the overall laidback feel of it all. And I loved seeing the cast members dancing along from their various spots. That was really cute. And the savory corn churro- life changing! :thumbsup2

We got all checked in, picked up our map & AP button around 6. Killed time til 8 when we tried to get into Darkwing Duck's line that we had already seen form an hour before that point. Cast members said that area (the last two Disney Afternoon photo ops, Darkwing Duck's meet & greet, & small world) would be opening back up to guests any minute now. They even made a big to do about checking our wristbands because any second now they are going to let us and the other 100+ ppl waiting into this area...until 8:45 when I overheard a CM get told over walkie that this area actually had to remain closed til after the fireworks were over. I asked CM if that was true and she apologized, said they haven't explained it to guests yet cuz they just found out but that area wouldn't be opening up until 10pm/an hour after the event started. Dang, wrong basket to put all our eggs in and that really bit us in the butt. We then confirmed that Max & Goofy would be in their Goofy Movie outfits so we gave up on Darkwing Duck and plopped ourselves in line to see Max in his Powerline outfit. We were in line from 8:50-11:50, it was frustrating as the CM said it was about an hour wait when we got in line. But no one realized EVERYONE in line wanted to see Max as Powerline and not Goofy in his rather average looking Goofy Movie outfit. So every half hour poor Goof would come out, everyone in line would groan, the line would come to a complete standstill, and CMs would run the length of the line stretching back to the bathrooms by the train practically begging guests to give up on Max and skip the entire line to just see Goofy instead, very few takers. This swapping of characters happened at many locations and I heard a lot of guests upset that they had to wait all nite through characters they weren't waiting for to finally see who they were actually in line for, like waiting for ages to meet Hades when they already met Meg & Herc at the last After Dark event but those were all sharing 1 line. They really shouldn't have had all of these rare characters swapping in single lines and instead they should have been meeting as a pair or having their own lines. The Max & Goofy line was close to the rock band in Tomorrowland, so we at least got to hear and sort of see 2 of their sets. We also could see most of the firework show from the line. Sang along to Stand Out and Eye to Eye many times with everyone in line as we all tried to stay in good spirits and hype each other up. We played boardgames we have downloaded onto our ipad to pass time in line. Around 11 I started to get dizzy and needed food, a CM was happy to let me leave the line and said coming back wouldn't be an issue, a different CM was there when I got back and wouldn't let me through. We had a conversation about it, she was clearly pissed at me (she kept insisting I needed to just stand there and wait who knows how long until we were up for our turn at the photo), but eventually I got back in to share the food with my husband while we continued to wait another half hour. It started to rain as we were almost next for Max and when we met him we were one of the first "lucky" ones that didn't get the backdrop for our photo as almost all the characters had to get pulled away from their themed backdrops in the rain. At 11:50 we power-walked over to the Mark Twain to get on just in time to catch the last performance of The Sound, the R&B acapella group singing 90s covers. It was raining a ton but the guys singing seemed to have a good time and the boat was packed on all 3 floors with people dancing, singing along, and enjoying the group's performance. 11:30 hit the dock running (ok no actual running in Disneyland, especially in the rain, more embarrassing levels of power walking) over to see if Indiana Jones was still out meeting people in his line area, he was not, but we got a decoder card. Then made a mad dash back to see if Darkwing's line was cut off or maybe even reopened this close to the end up the CM said that him and Don Karnage actually stopped meetings and were already gone (maybe that wasn't true and the line was just cut off). Then we rushed to the front of the park with low expectations but wanted to see if Chip & Dale might have still been meeting but they still had quite the line that was cut off. So we sang along in the pooring rain to Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys & N-Sync as everyone danced around us making the most of it. 1am tried to leave and got stuck in a panic attack inducing crush of humanity as they were giving out free Captain Marvel posters as you exited and blocked the right exit so we all slowly were herded through the left exit all at once even if you didn't want a poster (nor could you tell that was why were we all stuck in the crush until 5 minutes or so in it ugh). So my big take away from the night is to not believe the CMs because they are clearly not being well enough informed about various details of the event and just making best guesses based off of the limited info they have at the time, which is often very wrong and could completely ruin your night. We obviously thought we had learnt a good plan of attack after our last 2 Disneyland After Dark events but still made some bad/unlucky choices & didn't get as much done as we would have liked. Despite all my gripes we still had a really good time overall. I'm skipping the Marvel themed event but if there is another After Dark event where the theme tugs at my heartstrings I think I would still go again but I'd try a different plan of attack (like we walked by Darkwing's very short line at 7:30 and we just should have gotten in it but the CM said it was so early that we shouldn't bother and to just come back closer to event time as she didn't think it would get long hidden back by Toontown, or we should have asked earlier if Max would be in a special outfit and know based on how many guests that were wearing Powerline shirts to just get in that line at 6 or the moment it started to exist).

I think our night turned out pretty well.

I was in a group of 5, we spent our morning and afternoon running around Anaheim and Burbank, not in the parks.

By the time we got dressed and headed to the parking garage it was almost 6. It was a little chilly that night, but a hat and long sleeves made it bearable.

The lines were somewhat long to get in and we encountered plenty of day guests trying to enter in the special event line.

Once inside, we got out special parks maps and fanny packs. We got something to eat so that was out of the way.

The park closed to day guests at 8 and the party officially started at 9. Around 7:30 we started to scope out character locations.

The characters leaked a few hours before the party by Laughing Place and were:

• Main Street U.S.A.:
    • Chip and Dale (rescue ranger outfits)
    • Launchpad McQuack and Scrooge McDuck
  • New Orleans Square:
    • Fantasmic! Monkeys (under black lights so they glowed)
  • Adventureland:
    • Indiana Jones (he just wandered the queue and did not do pictures/autographs)
    • Baloo and Louie (TaleSpin outfits)
  • Critter Country:
    • Mulan and Mushu (Mulan was in her Ping outfit!)
  • Fantasyland:
    • Disney Afternoon Avenue (backdrops from Gummy Bears, Duck Tales, TaleSpin)
    • Hercules, Megara, and Hades
    • Belle and Gaston
    • Darkwing Duck and Don Karnage
  • Frontierland:
    • Pocahontas and Meeko
    • Clopin, Esmeralda, and Phoebus
    • Timon and Rafiki
  • Tomorrowland:
    • Goofy and Max (Goofy in his dad sweater and Max in his Powerline outfit)

We had tried to come up with a game plan before and decided Don Karnage was our number one want. We headed to ToonTown and a line had already formed...but then cast members broke (?) up the line and we decided to go elsewhere. Which was really a blessing in disguise, according to other reports.

We ended up along the Fantasyland to Frontierland path and were a few groups back for the Hunchback characters. They actually ended up coming out at 8 and we got to meet Phoebus and Esmerelda together.

Then we went back to Don Karnage, the cast members said they weren't coming out until 9 and no one could line up yet so we left.

We headed to the castle to get in line for the Hercules characters. I think we arrived around 8:30 and they weren't out yet. They moved the line inside and we were still outside the fantasy faire theater, if that gives you a good idea of the line. Meg and Hercules came out together at 8:45. Meg met for about 20 minutes and then left, leaving Hercules by himself. We were afraid we weren't going to meet him and that he'd leave any minute. We had already met Meg and Hades at WDW at the 24 hour party. Amazingly, we got to skip about 20 parties in line because they were trying to wait for Hades. So we were the second to last group to meet Hercules and saw Hades as we were walking out.

The fireworks had begun while we were meeting Hercules, so we got to watch most of them.

As they were ending, we stayed one step ahead of the crowds and power walked to Baloo. He was out by himself, and we only waited about 10 minutes to see him.

We got our Indiana Jones decoder cards from the entrance to the attraction queue. When we heard Indy wasn't really meeting we headed out.

Ended up at Mulan and Mushu's area back near Hungry Bear. We didn't know before now that Mulan was meeting as Ping, but we asked the CMs and were then very excited. We probably waited 40 minutes. The riverboat went by as we were waiting and it was cool to hear the band onboard singing as they floated by, they did Waterfalls by TLC.

So we kept getting closer to the front and Mushu had been out all the time. It was almost a quarter til, and I figured if there was going to be a character change that is when it would happen. We tried letting several groups go in front of us but then everyone else wanted to wait. So we met Mushu, who I love, but I've met him before. Of course, we saw Ping walking up to start meeting two groups behind us. Ugh.

This brings up a point I have about these Disney parties with rare characters...why do they switch out like this?! Ping is kind of understandable, since she is a face character and they can't really have two different people playing them in sight of the line. OK then, but what about characters like Baloo and Louie? They just met one at a time the whole night. You're telling me you couldn't have paid for just two more people to play those characters? That cost seems very negligible to keep guests a whole lot happier. Same thing with Max and Goofy. You're telling me Disney had no idea people would want to meet Powerline Max over dad sweater Goofy?!

IMG_20190307_234839.jpg

Sometimes I just don't get it.

We made our way to the front of the park to check on the rescue rangers. On the way we stopped to look at merch, the line for t shirts was somewhat long and they were out of smalls and mediums so we left. The line seemed pretty short but probably took around a half hour. At least those two met together. Launchpad was out and his line didn't look too long, but we skipped it and headed towards the back of the park.

We walked by to look at Max, it started to sprinkle and he moved off to the side and I was able to grab a picture of him by himself. That line looked insane.

We went back to check on Karnage and of course he and Darkwing's line was closed at 11:45. That whole area seemed like a mess, we never even got close enough to see them.

IMG_20190307_235326.jpg

We did a few backdrop photos with basically no wait. On our way back to try for Ping again, we met Gaston who only had 2 groups in line.

We noticed that the Hunchback area had Clopin meeting, with a separate line waiting for Esmerelda who was coming out later (good idea CMs). We waited about 10 minutes and met Clopin.

The Lion King characters had a short wait but they aren't rare so we bypassed them. Half our group got in line for the monkeys and I headed for Ping and Mushu.

Mushu was out meeting, and the party had a half hour left. I guessed that Ping would have to come out at the end, and the CMs refused to say one way or another. So I waited with all the rest of the people who also wanted to meet Ping. I sent my boyfriend to the back of the line 10 til close and ended up meeting Mushu again in the drizzling rain.

Wonder of wonders, Ping came out right at closing time. I got back in line with my boyfriend and got to meet her! (him?).

IMG_20190308_011458.jpg

We slowly walked out and got our Captain Marvel posters then had to walk to the parking garage since the trams were down :(

All in all it was a very successful night. Obviously, our main goal was characters. Some of our group split off throughout the night to do rides, but we ended up meeting Esmerelda, Phoebus, Clopin, Hercules, Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers, TaleSpin Baloo, Mushu and Ping and Gaston. We got a couple backdrop photos, checked out merch, saw most of the fireworks, got fanny packs and Indy ride decoders. If we didn't meet all the character we saw most of them except for Karnage and Darkwing.

I would recommend these nights, but it helps to have a plan, priorities, and luck.

I am going to write Disney an email about the rare characters not being available all the time during their meets. If this bothered you too, I'd advise you to write. If enough of us do they might do something about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter