2018 Epcot International Food and Wine Festival: August 30 to November 12, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, for “fun” (don’t judge) I thought I’d check out some of the potentially more popular events to see if tickets were still available. It appears the brunches with Morimoto, Buddy Valastro, Geoffrey Zakarian, and Alex Guarnaschelli are all sold out. Alex’s demo is as well. The Tattinger and lobster pairing with Chef Hunnel from V&A’s appears sold out too. I wouldn’t let that stop you from calling and checking though because who knows given the chaos thus far.

So, for “fun” (don’t judge) I thought I’d check out some of the potentially more popular events to see if tickets were still available. It appears the brunches with Morimoto, Buddy Valastro, Geoffrey Zakarian, and Alex Guarnaschelli are all sold out. Alex’s demo is as well. The Tattinger and lobster pairing with Chef Hunnel from V&A’s appears sold out too. I wouldn’t let that stop you from calling and checking though because who knows given the chaos thus far.
Those seem like the events I would expect to sell out.

The signature events still aren’t posted on the site. Do they want people to book them? :confused3 Everything about this year so far is SO odd.
They may be trying to set things up for further reductions next year. Don't advertise them this year and then cut them next year due to reduced demand.

They may be trying to set things up for further reductions next year. Don't advertise them this year and then cut them next year due to reduced demand.

Could be. I’m really intrigued and would love to know the strategy. Truth be told, it would be my dream job to be on the team that plans this! After last year I took a feedback survey that seemed to indicate (to me) they were considering going even deeper into the food events, more celeb chefs etc. Maybe people answered they didn’t care about that stuff. Almost every event I’ve done has seemed pretty popular but who knows.

The signature events still aren’t posted on the site. Do they want people to book them? :confused3 Everything about this year so far is SO odd.

Noticed this last night. We still don't have any info on the marketplace menus, are those going to be released in advance of the festival or will we not have that info until August 30th?

Also, no news on the Tables in Wonderland preview of the festival, has that been cancelled for this year?

Could be. I’m really intrigued and would love to know the strategy. Truth be told, it would be my dream job to be on the team that plans this! After last year I took a feedback survey that seemed to indicate (to me) they were considering going even deeper into the food events, more celeb chefs etc. Maybe people answered they didn’t care about that stuff. Almost every event I’ve done has seemed pretty popular but who knows.

I've thought the same thing for many years, I would like to be on the planning team for the F&W festival also!

Sitting at an all inclusive resort in Mexico right now. Our WDW annual passes expire on October 23. We are going for the two weeks prior. We have a get-a-way deal at the Marriott grande vista. $450 a week (all in) for a two bedroom villa. Cheap southwest flights and a lot of reward points to use up.

I have my three F&Wevents booked. But we are pretty sure we are coming back to Mexico October 2019. I feel like Disney does not value repeat guests. They want the once in a lifetime guest who has nothing to compare their current vacation to.

Not going to plan my Disney trip months and months out only to see how much has changed as the date gets close.

Sitting at an all inclusive resort in Mexico right now. Our WDW annual passes expire on October 23. We are going for the two weeks prior. We have a get-a-way deal at the Marriott grande vista. $450 a week (all in) for a two bedroom villa. Cheap southwest flights and a lot of reward points to use up.

I have my three F&Wevents booked. But we are pretty sure we are coming back to Mexico October 2019. I feel like Disney does not value repeat guests. They want the once in a lifetime guest who has nothing to compare their current vacation to.

Not going to plan my Disney trip months and months out only to see how much has changed as the date gets close.
I wish I could wait to plan until the events got released. Unfortunately I have to reserve my room 11 months out as a DVC member or else I have to take whatever rooms are available at different DVC resorts and spend part of my trip packing up & moving every few days. Been there, done that. I Learned years ago to just pick my dates & book the room and work with whatever events were going on during those dates. Last year ended up being a whirlwind the first part of the trip because there was absolutely no special dining events other than a Cheese Seminar offered for the final weekend. This year we got lucky because almost everything is still being offered until the end but I was really hoping for something new & different. I'm thinking of taking a break next year and maybe trying DL's event instead if they have it. I may book a hotel at WDW for back-up in case the planners get their heads out of their butts but at this point I may be done with this event. I'm wondering if they've been told to scale back in anticipation of all the construction that's coming to Future World so they are trying to lower expectations or maybe they won't even hold the festival while it's under construction.

Sounds like Disney might have released all the seats at early booking this year. Would not be surprised at all.
Wouldn’t be the first time. So ridiculous.

Agreed — really odd.

I can’t imagine why in the world they would do this. They don’t need permission or excuses to cancel something. They do it all the time. No reason AT ALL for them to run these at anything under full capacity.

I really can’t think of any legit reason for them still not listing some of the events on the website. I’m at a loss.

Called to book the French Family Meal Tradition (did it three years ago and it was excellent) and the CM on the phone said it wasn't showing as available. I also wanted the Italian Food & Wine Lunch at Tutto Gusto (did that two years ago and really enjoyed it) and he was having problems getting that one to come up as well. So he said he would try another way and asked for my contact phone number. It pulled up our information and we were able to book both of those meals on the days we wanted them. We are looking forward to both of these meals once again. I wish they would do the beer pairing at Le Cellier again (we did that the first year they did it and never saw it again). We got an introduction to Unibroue beers and try to find them all the time now.

Called to book the French Family Meal Tradition (did it three years ago and it was excellent) and the CM on the phone said it wasn't showing as available. I also wanted the Italian Food & Wine Lunch at Tutto Gusto (did that two years ago and really enjoyed it) and he was having problems getting that one to come up as well. So he said he would try another way and asked for my contact phone number. It pulled up our information and we were able to book both of those meals on the days we wanted them. We are looking forward to both of these meals once again. I wish they would do the beer pairing at Le Cellier again (we did that the first year they did it and never saw it again). We got an introduction to Unibroue beers and try to find them all the time now.

We were at that event too! Luckily we are able to get Unibroue a few places around here but I would have never tried it without that pairing!

We are going to Scottsdale next year. Top notch resorts, golf, spa, dining. It will be amazing.
I am so annoyed with F&WF this year I think we need a break from the event. Maybe a permanent break.
We learned last year that September events are sorely lacking, and this year is the same thing. DH's AP expires in September, so that determined our dates for this year. I would have LOVED to attend Morimoto's brunch (we met him at his restaurant a couple of years ago - he is very kind) but we have a super early flight out that morning. I love Chef Zakarian. I love Chef Guarnaschelli. I think any of the Chopped judges would be fun. Any of the Iron Chefs would be fun. I think Duff Goldman is adorable. I do not think the Saved by the Bell girl is the same level as those chefs, yet her seminar is the same price. No thanks. No disrespect to her, she just isn't what I would consider a top chef. Gordon Ramsay would be a hoot.
A friend mentioned doing the South Beach Food & Wine thing in Miami next year. We chatted with a couple from Miami at La Cava last month and they said that one can be fun, but it can be confusing and expensive. There are a TON of events, and it draws a lot of big name chefs.
We have also talked about doing the San Antonio Cocktail Conference, but I HATE, and I do mean H A T E cold weather and TX weather in January can be nasty.
Bottom line, there are way too many other options for us to keep dragging our butts to WDW for a lackluster event. And again, I will say I think this is a direct result of them running so many flipping "festivals" that NONE of them are properly planned and executed. OK. End rant.

We are going to Scottsdale next year. Top notch resorts, golf, spa, dining. It will be amazing.
I am so annoyed with F&WF this year I think we need a break from the event. Maybe a permanent break.
We learned last year that September events are sorely lacking, and this year is the same thing. DH's AP expires in September, so that determined our dates for this year. I would have LOVED to attend Morimoto's brunch (we met him at his restaurant a couple of years ago - he is very kind) but we have a super early flight out that morning. I love Chef Zakarian. I love Chef Guarnaschelli. I think any of the Chopped judges would be fun. Any of the Iron Chefs would be fun. I think Duff Goldman is adorable. I do not think the Saved by the Bell girl is the same level as those chefs, yet her seminar is the same price. No thanks. No disrespect to her, she just isn't what I would consider a top chef. Gordon Ramsay would be a hoot.
A friend mentioned doing the South Beach Food & Wine thing in Miami next year. We chatted with a couple from Miami at La Cava last month and they said that one can be fun, but it can be confusing and expensive. There are a TON of events, and it draws a lot of big name chefs.
We have also talked about doing the San Antonio Cocktail Conference, but I HATE, and I do mean H A T E cold weather and TX weather in January can be nasty.
Bottom line, there are way too many other options for us to keep dragging our butts to WDW for a lackluster event. And again, I will say I think this is a direct result of them running so many flipping "festivals" that NONE of them are properly planned and executed. OK. End rant.
You may get 5 days of nasty weather in TX in winter. Most of the time its just fine

You are not going to need more food after the Italian Regional Lunch. You can hear the music from anywhere in front of the American Adventure building. Is having a seat in the theater seating area a requirement for you to enjoy the concert? I definitely wouldn't buy the ETTB package for the same day as your lunch. I think since it will be a weekday you should be all right without the package. Better seating may not be what you get anyway. Over the years I have never gotten to sit in the forward rows under the roof with any special package or event I've booked. Even with the package people will line up way early to try for the best seats for all shows in the theater. Sometimes people who walk up at the last minute end up getting to sit in the reserved areas if they aren't full.
Yeah, I totally think it would be too much food. We’re not app + dinner + dessert people anyway. I’m more interested with not waiting in line for the concert/ability to show up right as it starts and still get a seat. Does it work like that?

Yeah, I totally think it would be too much food. We’re not app + dinner + dessert people anyway. I’m more interested with not waiting in line for the concert/ability to show up right as it starts and still get a seat. Does it work like that?
From what I've seen, about 5-10 minutes before the concerts begin they open op the reserved areas & let anyone take the leftover reserved seats so if you showed up just before or right as the concert started you'd have to take whatever seats might be left. if it's a popular group like Boyz 2 Men or Hanson, I think you'd be out of luck even with the package. Not sure how popular Plain White T's are.

We just figured out there's a typo in the Beverage Seminar schedule. On November 3, the champagne seminar is 4:30, not 2:30 as listed. We called first day and booked what we thought was the champagne beverage seminar, but just today noticed we were charged for a food and beverage pairing seminar (which is what's actually scheduled at 2:30). Luckily we were able to make a change...but for anyone else hoping to see Champagne Wayne, make sure you got the right event booked!

It is my first time at WDW and F&W. I'm really interested in the French Meal Tradition. Is it possible to go with my kids that won't be eating and pay for only one (my) ticket? They are picky eaters.

It is my first time at WDW and F&W. I'm really interested in the French Meal Tradition. Is it possible to go with my kids that won't be eating and pay for only one (my) ticket? They are picky eaters.
No. It's a 3+ hour long meal with multiple courses paired with a different wine for each course. They also discuss the different pairings throughout the meal while the wait staff bustles around clearing, serving food & refilling drinks. Not really a place for kids to be underfoot. The restaurant is not set up to keep kids entertained while their parents attend this adult oriented event. Also with the limited seating they will not allow extra non-paying bodies to tag along taking space away from paying guests.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter