2017 Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend

1. This is RunDisney. They most certainly don't employ a copy editor or even have a second set of eyes look at a document before they put it out, so don't worry about the week discrepancy between 19-22 weeks.
2. You've been doing C25K for two weeks, so obviously the 5 second/50 second doesn't apply to you. You're currently already running at a 1/1 interval - which translates to a 13:00/mile. If you feel like you're stalling out at that interval and can go faster, you can try out a different interval according to this chart (which, again, hasn't been updated as Galloway now encourages a :30 recovery walk period over a :60 recovery walk period, but you get the idea):
Run-walk-run ratio should correspond to the pace used. Here are suggested strategies:
  • 9 min/mi: run 4 minute/walk 1 minute (4/1)
  • 10 min/mi: 3/1
  • 11 min/mi: 2:30/1
  • 12 min/mi: 2/1
  • 13 min/mi: 1/1
  • 14 min/mi: 30 seconds/30 seconds
  • 15 min/mi: run 30 seconds/walk 45 seconds, or run 20 seconds/walk 40 seconds
  • 16 min/mi: run 20 seconds/walk 40 seconds
  • 17 min/mi: run 15 seconds/walk 45 seconds
I have two Galloway die-hard friends that have had the greatest time improvement using a :90/:30 interval, and the best overall performance during building distance using a 3/1 interval (which is basically the same, but require slightly different mindsets).

3. Again - I don't use his app so I'm not at all familiar with any of the things that he mentions on the app, so for that I apologize. But the plan can be as simple or as difficult as you make it. If you go by the PDF available on the RunDisney site, simple follow those time and mileage marks using the interval you're comfortable with. So, if you're looking at Week 1 (Oct. 25) - you need to do runs of 30 minutes in duration at your chosen interval (in this case, what you've been doing - 1/1), followed by a long run of 3 miles - again at your chosen interval. And so on and so forth as the plan dictates. The beginner plan Galloway provides to RunDisney doesn't (and, honestly, shouldn't for a first-timer) introduce pace during training runs - just two maintenance runs and the gradual building up of mileage to reach the race injury-free and prepared.

This is interesting to see - thanks for sharing! I've been doing 2/1 and seeing average pages from 10:30-11:30. I've also been toying with moving to 3/1. I do find that I need to make a conscious effort to make sure my walking internal speed is kept up -- it's so tempting to stop and mosey along for a minute, and it does impact my pace.

This is interesting to see - thanks for sharing! I've been doing 2/1 and seeing average pages from 10:30-11:30. I've also been toying with moving to 3/1. I do find that I need to make a conscious effort to make sure my walking internal speed is kept up -- it's so tempting to stop and mosey along for a minute, and it does impact my pace.

You sort of have to find a balance. You do t really want to "mosey" but you also don't want to power walk.

My apologies if this was already in this thread but it's a long. Thread! Any idea what corral a time of 2:33 from Tinkerbelle would put me in? I could run it faster I think and do a half in dec or Jan for proof of time if it would make a difference in corral placement. My goal is 10 min miles. At Tink I was in D and felt like I couldn't really run at what pace I wanted to about half the time due to crowding.

My apologies if this was already in this thread but it's a long. Thread! Any idea what corral a time of 2:33 from Tinkerbelle would put me in? I could run it faster I think and do a half in dec or Jan for proof of time if it would make a difference in corral placement. My goal is 10 min miles. At Tink I was in D and felt like I couldn't really run at what pace I wanted to about half the time due to crowding.
From this year's corral listing - would have been corral G. But there's no guarantee it'll be the same next year, all depends on how many people submit times and how fast the submitted times are. :)

From this year's corral listing - would have been corral G. But there's no guarantee it'll be the same next year, all depends on how many people submit times and how fast the submitted times are. :)

It's true, you can't really tell for sure. Also, POT is due November 15. You can also use a 10K distance or greater. It doesn't have to be a half.

It's true, you can't really tell for sure. Also, POT is due November 15. You can also use a 10K distance or greater. It doesn't have to be a half.
Thanks! Was just looking up some 10ks in Oct. Flat ones . I found the list of corrals and it looks like the farther back you are the more people are packed in. So if I could submit a faster time and be closer to the front my chances of maintaining a faster pace should be higher I would think. I actually don't care that much what my overall time is but at Tink I felt like I couldn't run at my desired pace often enough that I actually wasn't that sweaty or winded which was weird!! But my post race picture looked nice...

Does anyone know if race retreat sells out? I need to purchase it for my friend and I, but I'm hoping to put it off until mid-October.

I booked the stay/play/dine when it came out...but looked back at it today and decided to just do a room and three day ticket for $250 less. I doubt I will eat $250 in food during my long weekend stay. I arrive Friday afternoon, will collect my bib and do the expo. Then AK on Saturday, run and MK on Sunday and Epcot on Monday and late flight home.
And booked first class air with points!

I booked the stay/play/dine when it came out...but looked back at it today and decided to just do a room and three day ticket for $250 less. I doubt I will eat $250 in food during my long weekend stay. I arrive Friday afternoon, will collect my bib and do the expo. Then AK on Saturday, run and MK on Sunday and Epcot on Monday and late flight home.
And booked first class air with points!

We never get the eating plan either as we stay with pretty bland foods before the races. Rock on with first class...and enjoy the free alcohol as a celebration !:flower1:

It feels more real now that deals are coming out for the race timeframe!

SPG Starwood and Marriot just merged their points programs last week, so we transferred all my husband's points over to SPG, and we were able to book all 8 nights at the Swan using points! We arrive Friday evening before the race, and stay through the following Saturday. I cannot wait!

I have a question about bib pick-up logistics...

We fly in late Friday, and plan to spend Saturday morning at MK. We'll probably head back to the hotel around noon, and I was going to leave DH with our 2 girls to rest/nap, and head to the expo to grab by bib, etc. I don't have any expo must-haves. We have a dinner reservation at Via Napoli at 4:35pm, and will be walking there from Swan. Any issues with this plan? I am hoping that it isn't too crowded, so I can be in/out for the bib, with a quick look around the expo -- without losing out on the whole afternoon, and be back in enough time to get to dinner.

We fly in late Friday, and plan to spend Saturday morning at MK. We'll probably head back to the hotel around noon, and I was going to leave DH with our 2 girls to rest/nap, and head to the expo to grab by bib, etc. I don't have any expo must-haves. We have a dinner reservation at Via Napoli at 4:35pm, and will be walking there from Swan. Any issues with this plan? I am hoping that it isn't too crowded, so I can be in/out for the bib, with a quick look around the expo -- without losing out on the whole afternoon, and be back in enough time to get to dinner.

I don't see any problem...it is pretty calm by Sat. afternoon. Your DH could always head to dinner with the kids and you could meet him there. And good for you on using the points!

Since you aren't going right at opening, and aren't as interested in the official merchandise, I think you should be okay.

Assuming I could get a spot at the half through a travel agent...

I started Galloway's couch to 5k this past week. It's 8 weeks. Then his 5k to Half is another 17 weeks. That takes us right up to the half. In December I'll be at Disney with my family for a week, therefore losing a week of training, so I'd be a week short of completing my training by marathon weekend. So my question is...any suggestions on modifying the training to get ahead a bit? I've only done 1 week, but it seems fairly easy. I don't want to push so hard that I don't enjoy it. But I'd really like to complete the half training by princess weekend.

Also....if my husband and kids come with me as spectators...how likely is it that I'll be able to go to the park with them after I run a half? Do y'all race and then go to the hotel for the rest of the day to take it easy? Do you go to the parks that day or the next day? I want to plan realistically, but I have no idea! :)

Well, I did it! I registered for the half! I'm SO excited, y'all. Nervous, terrified....all of it. Can't wait!!! Training is going well...and I just can't tell you how much reading this thread and the other running threads help! So thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter