2017 Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend

Correct. Apparently there's race registration insurance coming at some point if you book hotel through runDisney. But they didn't have deferrals for DL Half weekend.

And there's not much we can do. It does say at registration that registrations are non-refundable...:(

Airlines say tickets are non -refundable too BUT with a doctors note that you cannot fly they will let you rebook without a fee(you have to pay the change in fare of any). I think this new run Disney revelation is sooo unfair to those who do not reserve rooms through run Disney and/or stay off site. There really are participants with legitimate reasons they can't do their races and I propose run Disney allow for letters from doctors so these people can defer. I am soo sure run Disney will totally take my advice ! Hahaha:rotfl2:

Airlines say tickets are non -refundable too BUT with a doctors note that you cannot fly they will let you rebook without a fee(you have to pay the change in fare of any). I think this new run Disney revelation is sooo unfair to those who do not reserve rooms through run Disney and/or stay off site. There really are participants with legitimate reasons they can't do their races and I propose run Disney allow for letters from doctors so these people can defer. I am soo sure run Disney will totally take my advice ! Hahaha:rotfl2:

Airlines also have been known to overbook in anticipation of cancellations and missed flights. Can't overbook a race weekend ;).

The no-deferrals thing turns me off from runDisney. Is it really too much to allow someone who developed a health issue or had an unexpected family situation save their money and participate next year? I hate things that seem like money-grabbers, and I have to say this fits the bill.

I'm not sure if there will be exceptions going forward, but in the past, you could defer for any reason. Maybe they're working out a better system? I hope?

I've heard of people getting partial refunds with a doctor's note for serious health issues (things like brain surgery).

It may sound harsh, but most races don't have deferrals - runDisney having them was unusual, and they removed any language about deferrals from their website awhile ago...and they do say registrations are non-refundable. So they don't HAVE to give back registrations for any reason.

Having said that, while my local races don't have deferrals, they do have options at registration to purchase insurance. These races are done through Active.com, the same site that does runDisney's registrations, so the functionality is there. It costs a few bucks and, as I understand it, you get the registration cost back if you can't do the race.

I really, really hope runDisney offers something like this in the future - so far I've only heard of it as available if you book a runDisney room package. I normally don't book through them because I find better deals elsewhere, so with deferrals gone it would be nice to still be able to get the insurance. I'm even more interested now than I used to be since I had to defer 2 races recently, which...I'm just grateful the option was even there. :(

I've heard of people getting partial refunds with a doctor's note for serious health issues (things like brain surgery).

It may sound harsh, but most races don't have deferrals - runDisney having them was unusual, and they removed any language about deferrals from their website awhile ago...and they do say registrations are non-refundable. So they don't HAVE to give back registrations for any reason.

Having said that, while my local races don't have deferrals, they do have options at registration to purchase insurance. These races are done through Active.com, the same site that does runDisney's registrations, so the functionality is there. It costs a few bucks and, as I understand it, you get the registration cost back if you can't do the race.

I really, really hope runDisney offers something like this in the future - so far I've only heard of it as available if you book a runDisney room package. I normally don't book through them because I find better deals elsewhere, so with deferrals gone it would be nice to still be able to get the insurance. I'm even more interested now than I used to be since I had to defer 2 races recently, which...I'm just grateful the option was even there. :(

Same here. I deferred the 10K last year. I'm thinking they're going to offer something, just not what we have gotten used to.

The no-deferrals thing turns me off from runDisney. Is it really too much to allow someone who developed a health issue or had an unexpected family situation save their money and participate next year? I hate things that seem like money-grabbers, and I have to say this fits the bill.

Almost all major race weekends don't offer refunds. I just "deferred" Chicago Marathon and all it means is I'm out the $185 I spent on race registration this year, and I have a shot at a limited number of bibs next year if I register in time and pay another $185.

I'm sorry that you don't think you can attend this race weekend because of financials. RunDisney weekends aren't cheap.

Not sure if this has been talked about on here but I was wondering on thoughts about the Race Retreat.... Is it worth it? What all does it entail, is the brunch after like a quick grab a snack and go or is it a sit down? It's going to be my first princess 1/2 marathon and I'm wondering if it's worth going all out for.

I am totally with you on hoping run Disney offers an insurance option to everyone as DH and I book a military rate so we would have to find travel insurance .

And for those asking about race retreat...we simply love it! I get so antsy before a race I find it a nice place to relax and grab a bite before hitting the masses in the corral. For us the price is justifiable for the amenities offered....especially private bathrooms with much smaller waiting lines !:banana:

I am totally with you on hoping run Disney offers an insurance option to everyone as DH and I book a military rate so we would have to find travel insurance .

And for those asking about race retreat...we simply love it! I get so antsy before a race I find it a nice place to relax and grab a bite before hitting the masses in the corral. For us the price is justifiable for the amenities offered....especially private bathrooms with much smaller waiting lines !:banana:
I've never used travel insurance before (knock on wood)...could you include the race registration cost as part of what you want coverage for when booking travel insurance from a third party? Or does it have to just include hotel and airfare? :scratchin

Not sure if this has been talked about on here but I was wondering on thoughts about the Race Retreat.... Is it worth it? What all does it entail, is the brunch after like a quick grab a snack and go or is it a sit down? It's going to be my first princess 1/2 marathon and I'm wondering if it's worth going all out for.

Agreed! It's totally worth it to me!

I've never used travel insurance before (knock on wood)...could you include the race registration cost as part of what you want coverage for when booking travel insurance from a third party? Or does it have to just include hotel and airfare? :scratchin

Active.com does offer registration protector insurance and under help center it says your race MAY offer participants the option of purchasing insurance. Through any other company that might be used it would be a great question to ask and/or read through the contract on what it covers.

We have had to file a travel insurance claim when DH couldn't travel on a planned trip to Hawaii and they were great about paying our timeshare fee( Hawaiian let us rebook our trip for no change fee).

I did it for Marathon Weekend and hardly used it (womp womp), but it's set up a little bit different for Princess Weekend. The tent is set-up directly at the finish line - on the opposite side of the finishing stretch facing the spectator bleachers. There were two dozen or so high-top tables set-up along the finish line. You can also take drinks that you purchase outside the tent inside - I saw plenty of people with beers, champagne, mimosas cheering on friends and family members from the Finish Line seats along the tent.

For Marathon Weekend, we just used it on Marathon Day. It was nice to have a small area on the way to the corrals to drop our Gear Bags, grab an extra water or PowerAde for the walk to the corrals and a bagel, banana, whatever you might want. I loved having a place to sit down and change my shoes post-marathon. The "brunch" spread was pretty basic - casseroles, fruit, pastries, salad, wrap sandwiches. I can't imagine they deviate too much from race weekend to race weekend with that stuff. We also got a "gift" - a Marathon Weekend 2016 towel.

I'm planning to gift it to the girls for our girls trip for Princess this year - mostly since we'll all be finishing at different times and it will be a nice place to relax and change for each of us, and we can still see everyone cross the finish line!

I did it for Marathon Weekend and hardly used it (womp womp), but it's set up a little bit different for Princess Weekend. The tent is set-up directly at the finish line - on the opposite side of the finishing stretch facing the spectator bleachers. There were two dozen or so high-top tables set-up along the finish line. You can also take drinks that you purchase outside the tent inside - I saw plenty of people with beers, champagne, mimosas cheering on friends and family members from the Finish Line seats along the tent.

For Marathon Weekend, we just used it on Marathon Day. It was nice to have a small area on the way to the corrals to drop our Gear Bags, grab an extra water or PowerAde for the walk to the corrals and a bagel, banana, whatever you might want. I loved having a place to sit down and change my shoes post-marathon. The "brunch" spread was pretty basic - casseroles, fruit, pastries, salad, wrap sandwiches. I can't imagine they deviate too much from race weekend to race weekend with that stuff. We also got a "gift" - a Marathon Weekend 2016 towel.

I'm planning to gift it to the girls for our girls trip for Princess this year - mostly since we'll all be finishing at different times and it will be a nice place to relax and change for each of us, and we can still see everyone cross the finish line!

It's by no means a 5 star meal, but it's nice, especially if you are the type who needs to eat immediately before and/or after you run. It was very valuable to me. Is it expensive? Yes. Is it worth it? To me it is.

It's by no means a 5 star meal, but it's nice, especially if you are the type who needs to eat immediately before and/or after you run. It was very valuable to me. Is it expensive? Yes. Is it worth it? To me it is.

I'm so spoiled by DL races where you can walk to your hotel and be cleaned up while everyone else finishes that this is going to be an interesting trip for all of us! I've made an ADR at Akershus for all of us, and with the newbie running out of the last corral, it just seems like the best option so we can all be together at the finish and then head in for brunch.

Now, obviously this can change if I splurge for a Epcot resort - but right now, the $$$ I'm saving for us to stay in a Royal Room at POR (because Princess, duh), plus the Race Retreat for everyone is still cheaper.

I'm so spoiled by DL races where you can walk to your hotel and be cleaned up while everyone else finishes that this is going to be an interesting trip for all of us! I've made an ADR at Akershus for all of us, and with the newbie running out of the last corral, it just seems like the best option so we can all be together at the finish and then head in for brunch.

I've never done a DL race. I wouldn't know what to do with myself

Seriously. It's LIFE-CHANGING. For DLH, we woke up at 4:30-4:45 and were still in corrals by 5:15 no issue.

I've heard of this magic, but I haven't experienced it yet. What to do with all of that extra sleep? lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter