2014/2015 Beach and Yacht Club FAQ, Friends & Fun, Sept 2014-Mayl 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just poking around online check-in and my Beach Club reservation for March says "Package Type: KCW Room Only". This is the first time I have seen that and I booked through Orbitz. Does anyone know what KCW means?

Teena, welcome home! We have about 3-4 feet of snow on the ground outside and just heard it is now a "blizzard". Don't you miss the Northeast??? :rolleyes2

I have a couple of pages to catch up with responses, but just want to say once again thanks for all of the warm wishes for all of us on the east coast (and upper state NY) suffering through way too much snow!

:goodvibes:

Captain's Strawberry Sparkler- House Champagne with strawberry flavoring. Welcome drink offered to (adult) guests only at check in (starting June 2014)

Thank you Catho72 for the photo!

:)

Thank you. I was hoping for something I could find here but apparently, it's not available in Canada. :P

That's too bad. Loved it. :P

After weeks of obsessive Disney site stalking, I have found and booked a room at the Beach Club! We will be staying from June 6-13 :yay: My family includes me, my husband, and our 8 and 12 year old sons.

My question for you all is about the standard room view. We were glad to get any room, really, and I went through the great thread with Beach Club room views. We don't mind a rooftop view at all, but are there any to really try to avoid (service areas, dumpsters, and that kind of thing)?

Thank you! Thrilled to join this thread!

After weeks of obsessive Disney site stalking, I have found and booked a room at the Beach Club! We will be staying from June 6-13 :yay: My family includes me, my husband, and our 8 and 12 year old sons.

My question for you all is about the standard room view. We were glad to get any room, really, and I went through the great thread with Beach Club room views. We don't mind a rooftop view at all, but are there any to really try to avoid (service areas, dumpsters, and that kind of thing)?

Most of the standard view rooms are above the very wide, flat roof. The service areas are in the area between YC and BC, not too close to the rooms. The bus stop and parking lot are set back, so you won't hear any noise from there. Some rooms might hear some noise from the driveway. But in general, the standard view rooms are fine. I would request to be close to the elevators to make the room convenient. :)

We just got back from our stay at the Beach Club and were VERY disappointed.

First off, I'll say we did a split stay over 12 nights. We stayed at Loews Royal Pacific at Universal Resort and then did a Disney Cruise and finally spent the last 5 nights at BC.

We surprised the kids with this trip over Christmas. We included a picture of Stormalong Bay in with the surprise announcing that we are going to Disney World. My daughter also got a mermaid tail from Santa and she was super excited to use it and was counting down the days. We were debating our stay at BC because we didn't know if the high cost would be worth it, especially with part of the pool closed. We found a good 'deal' but as Canadians the five nights would still end up costing us over $2300 and paying almost $500 per night for a hotel is unheard of in our family. We had the chance to stay at a 2 bedroom condo for $500 CAD for the whole week, but when overhearing us discussing it, my daughter insisted that we stay at the hotel with the sand bottom pool as she was super excited about using her mermaid tail there, and to feel like a real mermaid. So in the end we chose to stay at BC for the pool. I searched high and low online to find out information about the Stormalong Bay pool hours and the use of mermaid tails but couldn't find anything so I was just hoping for the best. Over the month leading up to our vacation, my daughter practiced swimming in her new tail at our city's public indoor pools. She was an expert in it.

So our first part of the vacation went well, my daughter swam at Loews pool (open to 10 pm) and at Disney's Castaway Cay in her mermaid tail with no problem and had a lot of fun doing it. When we got to BC, we asked for a room close to the main pool, since that is why we were staying there. They accommodated our request with a room just off the elevators but we were disappointed to find out the pool would only be open until 8 pm. We would need to adjust our visits to the parks around that to be able to use it during the day. I was happy with the location but when we got into the room it had a strong pungent chemical smell. My husband thought it was the cleaning products they use, I thought it was more than that - perhaps a pesticide. I immediately opened up the window to air it out. The wall paper was peeling off the walls and my husband compared the dated decor to that of a Motel 6. It was very old looking falling apart. There were scratches all over the furniture surface and the carpet was worn. But I reminded him the main reason we were staying was for the pool and location.

That first night I had to do laundry. I asked where and it was the opposite side of BC to us - the wing by Epcot. I walked there carrying a heavy load with a pocket full of change to find out the machine only takes credit card. So I walked all the way back to our room to ask my husband for our credit card and went back and I couldn't believe it, but the credit card machine suddenly said 'temporarily unavailable'! When I asked a cm where the nearest laundry was, they told me in Yacht club - I looked at the map and it was at the opposite end of Yacht club - three times as far. Needless to say, I ended up staying up until 4 am my first night (started at 11) just to do laundry.

So our first day we planned on splitting our day at Magic Kingdom to use the pool in the afternoon. When we got back to the hotel we assumed using the mermaid tail would be no problem, like at all the other pools we used that holiday, so my daughter brought along her tail. We were getting ready for a nice day of swimming and sunning at the pool. When we arrived a pool CM asked what the tail was and my daughter told her it was a mermaid tail, and she said 'have fun'. I went to get a hot dog for us for lunch while my daughter started putting on her tail. When I came back I found her in tears. She said (a different) lifeguard yelled at her that no tails were allowed in the pool. I went up to talk to the lifeguard and ask what was going on - I told her we used the tail on our Disney Cruise and at Loews. She said she was sorry there was nothing she could do and she called a lifeguard coordinator to come talk to us. When the coordinator arrived several minutes later, we explained our situation and she said it wasn't allowed because it held the legs together. I explained that it was perfectly safe, she is a good swimmer and has used it at our City's pools, Loews and Disney Cruise so why wouldn't they allow it at this Disney pool? I also said I could stay close to her the whole time. She said no, but it would be OK to use it at the quiet pool, since there would be no lifeguards around to stop her. I asked if it is a safety issue, wouldn't it be safer for her to be using it in front of lifeguards than without? Then she changed her story and said it was more the issue of her hitting the other swimmers with the tail. I showed her how it was was covered in soft padding and no one would be hurt - besides there was NO ONE ELSE swimming in that part of the pool that day. She would be swimming completely alone. I asked if she could make an exception just for a short time and she said that if they allowed her to do it, then someone may come back later in spring and say they saw someone using a mermaid tail in the pool in February. I asked to speak to the manager who later called and spoke to my husband and we explained that our daughter was extremely disappointed and crying and the manager said that it is a Disney policy that no mermaid tails are allowed in all Disney feature pools. We asked why then was she allowed to use it on the Cruise and he said he would check with Disney Cruise lines about that. My husband mentioned that they never had this rule written anywhere and the staff were inconsistent in knowing whether they were allowed or not and he said he would talk to his staff to ensure they all know that the tails aren't allowed. How can they enforce something they don't have in writing and have not even informed all their staff on it? We told him we chose the resort for the pool, for this reason, and he did nothing for us.

So that was it, my daughter was devastated. We seriously considered cutting our stay short - our day at the pool was ruined and certainly the rest of our stay was tainted. But the thought of packing up, searching for and changing resorts was overwhelming and would certainly have made this, our most expensive vacation ever, even worse.

My thought is, what kind of place promotes The Little Mermaid and then crushes a girl's dreams to swim in one of their pools like a mermaid??? They made NO EXCEPTIONS OF ANY KIND and did nothing to try and make things better for us.

To make matters worse, that first night my kids saw ants crawling on the floor in the bathroom. This really creeped us out. The next morning we called housekeeping to check on it, and when we came back to our room at the end of the day that chemical smell was even stronger, so I assume they sprayed to get rid of the ants. I don't know if it is even safe for us to breathe that stuff in. I had to open the windows just to be able to breathe in that room.

Then, after going back to Magic Kingdom our first day after the disaster at Stormalong Bay, we found out that our three favourite rides on the Frontier/Adventure side - Splash Mountain, Thunder Mountain and Pirates were all closed down. We waited and circled around that side of the park for them to reopen but they never did. We thought since we had a five day park ticket and only four full days, we could go back after our last day after Animal Kingdom. So we did that and found out we could not use two park days within the same day. The lady at the ticket counter said we would need to pay more and buy a park hopper to do that. We explained about the ride closures and she checked with her manager and for that reason alone they let us go in. I could not believe we could pay for five days and only be allowed to use four of them. They need to be more clear about their rules on that. My thought is if you pay for five days you should be able to use them whenever you are able to. If you need to use up two in one day, you are only getting half day each so it is your loss, not theirs. That was yet another disappointment that left a bad taste in our mouth.

In the end, overall, we were highly disappointed with Disney World. We feel they have gotten TOO big to truly know and understand how to treat their patrons. They have all kinds of rules that they can enforce arbitrarily without anything in writing and they enforce them with no exception or kindness or consideration to their patrons.

They are making money hand over fist, charging far too much for food ($134 US for breakfast for a family of four is ridiculous) - that was close to $180 CAD!!! Yet they want to find little ways to make even more money off you, like charging for park hopping (a total rip off IMO).

At the end of our trip, after our negative experience, we decided we will never be returning to Walt Disney World, and especially not Beach Club resort. If we ever do Disney again, it will be Disneyland - our two favourite rides - Space Mountain and Pirates of the Caribbean are far better in California anyway.

I am sorry to tell you that Ninja Mom has been a VERY BAD GIRL.
A
VERY.
BAD.
GIRL.

I needed to be magical when I booked my December vacation to WDW. Unfortunately they did not have the Beach or Yacht Club available during the time in which I was traveling.

They only had the...

The...

The...

I can hardly bring myself to say it...

Boardwalk Inn.

I really tried, honest I did, but it was not to be.

So I booked it, clown slide and all. My family physician has been alerted to the fact that I will be suffering from Pre-traumatic stress syndrome and she has prescribed aversion therapy and a 30 day supply of circus peanuts. I'm not optimistic but Dear husband says that at least we will be in the 'hood and we can gaze longingly across the pond at the shimmering lights of the Beach/Yacht Club.

I'm not proud of this reservation. Look for me to be doing the walk of shame to the lobby for check in in the beginning of December.
mecry.gif

~NM

It's cold enough today that I'd be booking a view of that clown slide too, just to have something to look forward to. Anyone who is at the BC/YC right now is very smart!

Like Teena says, life is all about chocolate vs. vanilla. I hope to stay at BWI someday to compare. If I had my way I'd move WL over to Crescent Lake and have my definite favourite. If I have to choose, I'd pick the Epcot area over WL, so I think the BWI choice is a good one. We've also stayed at CR and while it was nice, it is more of a business feel which isn't what we look for in our Disney vacation, so I doubt we will stay there again.

Have some fun in the sun today everyone! (And for those of us with sun combined with fricken cold - stay inside and drink lots of hot chocolate!)

Most of the standard view rooms are above the very wide, flat roof. The service areas are in the area between YC and BC, not too close to the rooms. The bus stop and parking lot are set back, so you won't hear any noise from there. Some rooms might hear some noise from the driveway. But in general, the standard view rooms are fine. I would request to be close to the elevators to make the room convenient. :)
Thank you! This is very helpful!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. We like to read all reviews - the good ones and the bad. It is a shame you were so very disappointed with WDW.

I hope you have shared or will share your room and laundry thoughts with the hotel management. They can only improve things if they understand how they impact the guests. I'm sure it was frustrating to go to the laundry room twice and then find out the equipment wasn't working. One of the benefits of the YC/BC is that there are multiple laundry rooms, but that doesn't make it any more pleasant when you are doing laundry in the middle of the night. But at least you were able to get it done, which might not have been possible if you didn't have the YC laundry to turn to.

As for the room, did you ask to be moved to a new room? If you felt the chemicals in the air made it unsafe to breathe, I'm sure they would have arranged a room move, as no one should have to sleep in air that isn't safe.

I feel bad for your daughter and the mermaid tail. It is sad when an entire vacation centres on one thing that didn't work out. I do understand the life guard's point of view though. SAB is a large complex to keep safe and the life guards have to set limits that they feel they can work with. I know you understand your daughter's skill level and knew you could keep her safe, but from the life guard's point, it would be much easier for you to watch your daughter in a rectangular quiet pool, rather than the sprawling complex of SAB. SAB can get extremely crowded so the life guards must set the boundaries they feel they need to keep everyone safe. I'm so impressed by the number of life guards Disney employs to watch SAB and I'm sure it isn't easy for them to watch everyone without setting some boundaries. Again, the beauty of YC/BC is that they do offer 3 other pools in addition to SAB.

As for the ticket issue at MK, I can totally understand their position. If you didn't pay for a park hopper pass, you shouldn't be able to enter two parks in one day. But Disney does work hard to make things right, so it is great that they did let you in when they understood the inconvenience you faced with the rides being down on your previous day.

It is hard to manage a complex as big as WDW, open 365 days a year, and not have some rides be down or hotel rooms in need of an update. Fortunately Disney does continue you try to improve things, as demonstrated by the complete overhaul of rooms that is happening now.

As for WDW vs. DL, that brings us back to the Chocolate and Vanilla thing. Some will always prefer WDW to DL, and for some it is the other way around. Having a variety of opinions keeps the world interesting.

It will be fun to go exploring from the CR. Not only will you have the monorail for quick trips to the other resorts, but you will have the boat to WL and FW for more fun. You'll be able to see the Electric Water Pageant at night, too, something you don't get at Crescent Lake. There are some great dining options, too, almost too many to mention. But getting to the WL for Artist Point or FW for a meal there is a lot easier from the CR than it is from the BC. ;)

Yes! Artist Point is on our short (ok....really long) list of places we intend to eat, so we will be doing our dinner there while at the CR. The only thing I'm not crazy about over there is the pool. We stayed at BLT in 2010 and found the pool boring and really...really.....really hot. I'm talking "Yes, I know it's August in Orlando, but come on, this is like bath water" hot. Otherwise, we really are excited. I've learned to go with my gut in a lot of things, and while we were excited to try the Polynesian, my gut was saying that it was going to be a mess, so I feel calmer with this decision. We're also big fans of California Grill, and Narcossee's, so we'll get those out of our system too!

Hey Scott,

Thanks for the update. How long are you guys staying for the CR part of your trip? We are only doing the one night until our BC BB.

Jay

We are at CR from 8/14-8/19 and BC 8/19-8/24.

Why yes! Yes I DO have one of the day beds, the rug from the 5th floor rear hallway 7 square meters of wall paper and and exhaust fan from the roof. I also have enough abandoned room service trays to take every New Englander sledding during this next storm. The trick is not so much removing the hall way rugs, rolling them up and getting them out the door. The really hard part comes when you try to carry all that crap on the plane!

~NM

I knew it. Bad. Girl. Indeed.

A
VERY.
BAD.
GIRL.

I needed to be magical when I booked my December vacation to WDW. Unfortunately they did not have the Beach or Yacht Club available during the time in which I was traveling.

They only had the...

The...

The...

Boardwalk Inn.

So I booked it, clown slide and all. My family physician has been alerted to the fact that I will be suffering from Pre-traumatic stress syndrome and she has prescribed aversion therapy and a 30 day supply of circus peanuts. I'm not optimistic but Dear husband says that at least we will be in the 'hood and we can gaze longingly across the pond at the shimmering lights of the Beach/Yacht Club.

I'm not proud of this reservation. Look for me to be doing the walk of shame to the lobby for check in in the beginning of December.
mecry.gif

~NM

Ok..no jokes, completely honest. We LOVE the BWI! The roster changes daily, but if forced by the government to pick my absolute favorite WDW resort, I'd be really hard-pressed not to say "TheYachtClubBoardwalk." BWI was our first exposure to the Epcot Resort Loop, and it was magical. There aren't greeters per-say (fail), but the staff was delightful all around. The lobby bar, the BelleVue Lounge is classy, and especially beautiful at night, the rooms are spacious, and all include a daybed, and all but about about 3 rooms total (out of about 325) have a full balcony or patio, and I'm crazy about the old-timey photos on the wall throughout the hallways. Standard views are of a beautiful courtyard and quiet pool, (many with views of the Eiffel Tower and Illuminations) and of the front entrance, which I find picturesque, and actual Boardwalk views are, in my opinion the best views in all of WDW. We've been blessed with full-on BW views each time, and I loved watching the SAB windmill turn from my bed. Oh, and don't get me started on the soundtrack! Food options are good with pizza and the bakery for quick serve, and FF is our favorite restaurant on WDW property, hands down. As for the clown. I had a massive phobia as a kid, and still shudder at the thought, but it was really fine, and as long as you're on the BWI side, and not villas, you will be no where near it. That said, after SAB, it's my favorite pool on WDW property. The slide is more thrilling than at SAB, it's never terribly crowded, and as an August traveler, their pool always feels about 10 degrees cooler than any other pool on property. I don't know how they do it!
Sorry for the BWI advertisement, but it will be fine! If we had a "Magical" opportunity to stay there this summer, we would.
Oh...and Club Level? The best. Sorry BC/YC fans..it blows other CLs away (and we've done BWI, BC, YC, GF-RPC and AKL).
Don't hate me! We're also crazy about YC/BC, but I would never hesitate to stay at BWI.

Scott, I posted on another thread about this. We're with you. We jumped ship from Poly to CR for Easter Weekend. We stayed at Poly for marathon weekend and the construction didn't matter because it was cold and we were running - Poly was the perfect location for watching and running races. But for Easter Weekend, I'm with you on the view and we need that pool. Called today and the CM said they are hoping for an end-of-March opening, but of course nothing is set and tikiman is less optimistic. And even with the main pool open, construction in other areas remains. I like CR better looking out than looking in. :) Really enjoy the Bay Lake View and while the pool isn't super exciting, it's usually relatively uncrowded and quiet. My favorite spot is out near the bullseye pool with the view of the lake.

Yes, I tend to believe Tikiman above all others. And I get the feeling he's holding back from saying "The place is a mess...stay away until at least 2016."
Well, I just don't know what to say to either Scott or NM!!! CR and BWI :scared1: what is the world coming to??? :faint:

You've got to try new things.....and go where it's the best bang for your buck!

No way!!!!! I honestly can say I can't stand the BWI. There are a few resorts on property that I just don't like ... all personal likings ... just like some people like vanilla and some chocolate ice cream ... the BWI is way down on the list but CR is even lower.

Teena! My heart is breaking! Well, on the BWI end! You should try it sometime! I'll bring you over, hold your hand etc.
As for CR, I can't say whether or not we'll like it, but I think for this trip, it's a better choice than Poly!

No way!!!!! I honestly can say I can't stand the BWI. There are a few resorts on property that I just don't like ... all personal likings ... just like some people like vanilla and some chocolate ice cream ... the BWI is way down on the list but CR is even lower. But I sure will be looking forward to seeing you when you come over for the clam chowder!!!!!

Back from the Fantasy and going into work this morning. I can't believe I had to make my bed this morning. Horrible!!! Boy they really spoil you on that ship. Hurry up March 28th ... then I'm back on the Fantasy!!

Looking forward to seeing some Disers today and tomorrow at the BC .... if they are not all stuck in the Northeast.

Too funny . . . I started reading this post without looking at the author and I knew it was you right away! I remember standing in the lobby in October 2012 and our boys were telling you about our split stay between BC and CR. You thought we were crazy. You said we were crazy! We told you it was for MNSSHP night and you told us that is no excuse!! :)

Welcome home! Hope you and Bob are well, and will look forward to hearing more about sweet Lily!

Does anyone know if mermaid tails are allowed over at the Boardwalk Inn pool? I'm hoping they come in my size as I would think they are a fantastic swim work out as well as being very fashion forward. Off to search the internet now!

~NM

Does anyone know if mermaid tails are allowed over at the Boardwalk Inn pool? I'm hoping they come in my size as I would think they are a fantastic swim work out as well as being very fashion forward. Off to search the internet now!

~NM
No mermaid tails allowed in Disney feature pools. See our review above. Hope to spare you the heartache.

No mermaid tails allowed in Disney feature pools. See our review above. Hope to spare you the heartache.

Really!! No where on property?!!?? I will have to go back and read your post again. I know swimmers use those kickboards between their legs to help with their cardiovascular training. The Mermaid tail seems like it would accomplish the same thing and look a lot cuter. I wonder if the kids can still wear their sharks head goggle hats.
510EXBtGT8L.jpg

PS I am getting these things for my pool noodles!

swimways-aqua-riders-7-23-14-624x381.jpg

~NM

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. We like to read all reviews - the good ones and the bad. It is a shame you were so very disappointed with WDW.

I hope you have shared or will share your room and laundry thoughts with the hotel management. They can only improve things if they understand how they impact the guests. I'm sure it was frustrating to go to the laundry room twice and then find out the equipment wasn't working. One of the benefits of the YC/BC is that there are multiple laundry rooms, but that doesn't make it any more pleasant when you are doing laundry in the middle of the night. But at least you were able to get it done, which might not have been possible if you didn't have the YC laundry to turn to.

As for the room, did you ask to be moved to a new room? If you felt the chemicals in the air made it unsafe to breathe, I'm sure they would have arranged a room move, as no one should have to sleep in air that isn't safe.

I feel bad for your daughter and the mermaid tail. It is sad when an entire vacation centres on one thing that didn't work out. I do understand the life guard's point of view though. SAB is a large complex to keep safe and the life guards have to set limits that they feel they can work with. I know you understand your daughter's skill level and knew you could keep her safe, but from the life guard's point, it would be much easier for you to watch your daughter in a rectangular quiet pool, rather than the sprawling complex of SAB. SAB can get extremely crowded so the life guards must set the boundaries they feel they need to keep everyone safe. I'm so impressed by the number of life guards Disney employs to watch SAB and I'm sure it isn't easy for them to watch everyone without setting some boundaries. Again, the beauty of YC/BC is that they do offer 3 other pools in addition to SAB.

As for the ticket issue at MK, I can totally understand their position. If you didn't pay for a park hopper pass, you shouldn't be able to enter two parks in one day. But Disney does work hard to make things right, so it is great that they did let you in when they understood the inconvenience you faced with the rides being down on your previous day.

It is hard to manage a complex as big as WDW, open 365 days a year, and not have some rides be down or hotel rooms in need of an update. Fortunately Disney does continue you try to improve things, as demonstrated by the complete overhaul of rooms that is happening now.

As for WDW vs. DL, that brings us back to the Chocolate and Vanilla thing. Some will always prefer WDW to DL, and for some it is the other way around. Having a variety of opinions keeps the world interesting.

I wouldn't consider a laundry room what seemed like three blocks away on the opposite side of Yacht club as an advantage of multiple laundry rooms. The BC laundry room by the quiet pool was empty - I guess that was part of the overhaul, but it would have been nice to know when we checked in. As I mentioned, we liked the room location and didn't want to be moved to a bad location. I just opened up the windows every time we got back to the room. We did complain about the mermaid tail issue to the management and he offered us nothing in consideration of this. Also, we called in the housekeeping staff about the bugs and they said they would check and that was it. We will be writing a letter to upper management about this. Still, we think it is important that others out there are aware of the issues and negative experience we had so that they will be informed before booking at BC. We find it interesting that three major rides went down at the same time on one side of the park the Tuesday afternoon of our visit, and yet the rides were all fully functional the Friday of a busy holiday weekend. We ended up having to wait an hour to ride when we went back. What is the point in planning your days to visit in the less busy season, on the less busy days if the rides are just going to be shut down for maintenance. When you pay over $12,000 to go on a vacation to visit Disney World, you don't expect this type of treatment.

:cool1:page 155-156

Thanks again everyone for your sympathy about the weather up heah! Mark has plowed out the driveway, removed some of the snow from our roof and trudged through waist deep snow to get to the side of the house to clear off our kitchen garden window. We are not parking at Logan, which is good because I think they are out of spaces. I'll try to post tomorrow morning to let you know if things are going as planned.

My backup, MickeyT is down in Guatemala doing some construction work, so I will just catch up with responses here on the thread when I return.

:thumbsup2

Question, can you get take out at Beaches and Cream and take it to the Storm along pool area or can you only get food from Hurricane Hannahs?
Thank You

Thank you for the answer. I have yet to eat at Beaches and Cream, so it looks like I will have to make a reservation for a sit down there.

I don't know if you have posted here before-so here is a :welcome:

Let us know when your trip is if you would like me to add you to the Be Our Guest list we keep on Page 1.

:cool1:

I keep trying to search for the picture MickeyT posted of the current Beaches & Cream takeout menu, but I can't find it. Can someone who is there soon snap a picture? I can also ask Mike when he returns.

We are in the same boat on all counts. We are right outside of Boston and gearing up for the storm. I actually had to shovel my grassy yard area last night so I had a clear path for the oil delivery company to deliver to us today!

We are also staying at the Poly in August, though for only one night. It was $400 cheaper to fly from Logan to Orlando on Wednesday then it was on Thursday. The problem was that the Bounceback offer started on Thursday (8/20) so I told my wife that that I would rather spend the extra $400 on an extra night then just give it away to JetBlue. We got a great deal on a single night ($223) at the Poly from the travel company others on here have recommended that shall go nameless (I guess it's not allowed to be mentioned on the site) for the one night, 8/19. We won't have passes or the dining plan so I figured we could hang at the resort pool and maybe hit Downtown Disney at night. The more I read about the construction the more I worry though. I know the main construction (lobby, pool) will be done by then but I'm worried that there will be other construction that messes with our stay. I've always wanted to try the Poly but was hoping it would be under ideal circumstances. I'm not sure what to do now. Only other options are GF (garden view), CR (garden wing) WL (standard view) and maybe YC if still available. I was told the BC sold out at that discounted rate.

My wife is a BC girl through and through so she would be a hard sell on the Poly even in perfect conditions! I think I may just follow your lead and try for the YC. Wish me luck!!

Jay

Sounds like a smart move. The Poly is one of the resorts on my Disney bucket list. I haven't been following any of the news. Can you still see the Wishes fireworks from the beach or is that blocked somehow now? I really enjoyed that experience once after eating at 'Ohana.

Happy Valentine's everyone!

Having stayed at YC several times, we were thinking of switching it up and trying BC this time. We have 3 young children and they are excited about a new place, even if it is a stone's throw. The only thing holding us back is the question of a balcony. We will be booking standard view, will have a day bed to accommodate 5 and we're wondering about our chances of getting a full balcony with those details in mind. We use it every evening to plan the next day's details while the kids sleep relatively early and have become pretty attached to this feature! I know this is a frequent question here and the odds are ever changing, but I'm looking for some expert input and theories. ;) Thanks so much for any guidance.

:welcome: back.

If the balcony is important, then sticking with the YC your best bet! I think the odds for a full balcony are about 50-50 in the non-club level rooms.

Now as for us.
I got the confirmation from our travel agent an hour ago. We will now be starting our trip at the CR! Call me shallow, but view is important, and we're staying in the garden wing at CR with a standard view. I know it won't be the world's greatest view, but I know exactly what it will be, and that makes me feel more comfortable! We've also never stayed at CR, so it's checking another box off the list. I also plan on stealing stuff, because we've decided that the CR is what we want our house to look like. Gonna be rough though getting that Norwegian-high end-looking sink out of there though. NinjaMom, any tips? I feel like you have one of the daybeds from BC at your house...right? Ya know...the one everyone requests...

I'll change your listing.

Question about the bus to / from MK. I'm trying to finalize my ADRs list. We will have a rental car. Do we want to drive or bus to the Halloween Party?

Not sure which is best, but if you take the bus it will let you out at the main gates, but if you drive you have to park at the TTC and take the monorail or ferry to MK (and then back again). Not sure how the lines at the bus stop after the party at the end of the night compare to the lines for the mono/TTC except that in the bus line you are only "competing" with BC/YC guests and with the TTC everyone staying offsite or who decided to drive need to take those modes of transportation.

A
VERY.
BAD.
GIRL.

They only had the...

The...

The...

Boardwalk Inn.

mecry.gif

~NM

Try "It". You may like "It!" :clown:

This whole weather pattern is SAD!!!
We were supposed to be flying to Disney tomorrow and now we're not!! I am REALLY sad. :(

Once again, I am so sorry to hear this! Were you able to escape today???

:car:

I am sure this has been answered, but I cannot find it. What kind of snacks do they have in the club lounge during the day--the 11:30 to 4:00 timeframe? Thanks!

Not sure if you have posted previously, so :welcome:

When is your stay?

:woohoo:

Check out Post 12 on the first page of this thread. Lots of info/pictures about Club Level and the food offerings throughout the day.

Last year they had chips and dip, cookies, gummy bears, etc. Fresh fruit was out all day.

Last time I stayed CL (July 2013) they also had a yummy trail mix and yogurt covered pretzels.

Can I join in? We just jumped ship from our Poly reservation and will be staying at BC 9/5-9/12. It is our first onsite stay and we are so excited!!

Absolutely!!!

:welcome:

I'll add you to the Be Our Guest list.

:cheer2:

That is sad, it is putting people out of work.

That is a shame. I think it is nice to have someone to talk to when you are checking in. I wonder if many people will bypass checkin with the new option.

:scratchin

I don't know if you have posted here before-so here is a :welcome:

Let us know when your trip is if you would like me to add you to the Be Our Guest list we keep on Page 1.

:cool1:

I keep trying to search for the picture MickeyT posted of the current Beaches & Cream takeout menu, but I can't find it. Can someone who is there soon snap a picture? I can also ask Mike when he returns.

I'm not sure if I have or not? We stayed at the Yacht Club for the first time July 2013 and LOVED it :love:! I think we will always stay here, I do like some of the other resorts but this is our Favorite! My daughter, friend and I won't be going till 2016 and as a family in 2017. For the girls trip we are looking at May 21, 2016 not sure how long 6-7 nights. Thanks for Welcoming me to the Beach Club/Yacht Club thread :)

Last edited:
page 157

I was just poking around online check-in and my Beach Club reservation for March says "Package Type: KCW Room Only". This is the first time I have seen that and I booked through Orbitz. Does anyone know what KCW means?

Teena, welcome home! We have about 3-4 feet of snow on the ground outside and just heard it is now a "blizzard". Don't you miss the Northeast??? :rolleyes2

No idea what that means! f you find out, please let us know!

What view category do you have booked? Did you put in any requests (King bed?)

:welcome;

So glad to have you joining us here!

I'll add you to the Be Our Guest list we keep on Page 1.

I don't think I have seen you post here before, so :welcome: to this forum!

I am really sorry to hear about how disappointing your stay was. We appreciate your detailed review of the issues you encountered.

We are frequently asked here what guests are allowed to bring from home into Stormalong Bay. We have been told no tubes, clear or otherwise. Pool noodles are acceptable, water wings that go around the arms, and floatation devices that go around an infant/toddler as long as an adult is within arms reach. Googles and masks are ok, but I haven't heard if swim fins are ok or not. I'm guessing not based on the lifeguards' response to the mermaid tail.

Definitely let the folks at Disney know about your dissatisfaction. The contact info for Guest Communications and the General Manager of the Yacht and Beach Club resort are all posted on the first page of this thread. Either in the FAQ post (13) or Other Useful Info Post (14).

I'm not sure if I have or not? We stayed at the Yacht Club for the first time July 2013 and LOVED it :love:! I think we will always stay here, I do like some of the other resorts but this is our Favorite! My daughter, friend and I won't be going till 2016 and as a family in 2017. For the girls trip we are looking at May 21, 2016 not sure how long 6-7 nights. Thanks for Welcoming me to the Beach Club/Yacht Club thread :)

I'll pencil you in for the Girls trip in May 2016 (we have a few listings for next year) and your family can be the first ones on the list for 2017. You can let us know the details when you have them!

I'll pencil you in for the Girls trip in May 2016 (we have a few listings for next year) and your family can be the first ones on the list for 2017. You can let us know the details when you have them!

Thanks so Much Nate!!! That would be awesome. I cannot wait to go its so far away :( I would love to go every year :flower:

:cool1:page 155-156

Thanks again everyone for your sympathy about the weather up heah! Mark has plowed out the driveway, removed some of the snow from our roof and trudged through waist deep snow to get to the side of the house to clear off our kitchen garden window. We are not parking at Logan, which is good because I think they are out of spaces. I'll try to post tomorrow morning to let you know if things are going as planned.

My backup, MickeyT is down in Guatemala doing some construction work, so I will just catch up with responses here on the thread when I return.

:scratchin

We will miss you, but be fine without out you. Please just send warm thoughts to those of us north of Florida, and bring yourself back a suitcase filled with warm air to melt some of that snow you got going on.

Have a great vacation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter