2011 Yacht & Beach Club FAQ, Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just starting to think more about my upcoming trip and one thing I didn't do when I stayed at the YC (years ago) was take advantage of stormalong bay.

I'm not really into swimming as such but more relaxing and dipping my toe in the water, is there a particular area anyone would recommend for a solo traveller just looking to relax?

Thanks

Two more questions tonight.

1. Where do I find Stormalong's hours? We will be there in a little over a week! :cool1:

2. Our arrival day will be spent relaxing around the resort or maybe going to Downtown Disney. We won't be able to use a park ticket to go see Illuminations, so where at the resort would be a good place to see Illuminations? Or would we need to walk to the Boardwalk or somewhere else to see it?

3. It's our first stay at this resort. I'm wondering if people just walk thru the BC lobby soaking wet from SAB? Do you even have a choice?

Thanks!

1. I'm pretty sure the hours for SAB vary by season, and even weather and crowd conditions. The most reliable place to get hours is from the lifeguards when you are there or possibly from someone who has just returned. Some Y&BC guests have checked the hours with the desk that day, but found SAB open later than they were originally told.

2. If anyone hassecret Illuminations viewing spots around the EPCOT resorts, please share:

A lot of people suggest going to the bridge between the BC and Boardwalk
I believe you can see some of the fireworks from the BC beach
I have seen some of the high fireworks from the SAB pool

IMG_1936-1-1.jpg

I have heard rumors that the developers of the Mom's Closet Spa and Retreat are investigating the viability of an "Illuminations Viewing Cocktail Party", but this hinges on finding a supply closet on one of the higher floors with the proper view orientation. We will keep you posted!

3. There are towels available right at SAB. Most people dry off at least a little bit first before heading into the lobby :) but there really isn't too much of a choice. You could change in the locker room or in one of the poolside bathrooms (which I have done and DO NOT recommend), but you really don't need to.

Wow, you are getting close! HAVE A FANTASTIC TRIP!!!

Just starting to think more about my upcoming trip and one thing I didn't do when I stayed at the YC (years ago) was take advantage of stormalong bay.

I'm not really into swimming as such but more relaxing and dipping my toe in the water, is there a particular area anyone would recommend for a solo traveller just looking to relax?

Thanks

I think you would have to look around on the day you are at the pool to see which areas are quiet and relaxing- there are several beautiful areas at the pools- some waterfalls, the windmill.

This was taken on an afternoon in July- there are some spots that aren't very crowded

P7120287.jpg

It is usually pretty quiet up in the Gazebo over Hurricane Hanna's- we have always been able to find empty loungers, and you could bring a book or have a great vantage point overlooking the pool, but since you are up, a lot of the noise would be dampened.

IMG_0932.jpg

You could also settle into one of the loungers at the beach, watch the HS/EP boat dock and enjoy the view of the Boardwalk.

P8180411.jpg

Any ideas if I have to tell my DS early that we will be staying at the BC how to do it? Any ideas would be great!

Also I thought it would be fun to have a trival scavenger hunt on the day we stay at the hotel (just in case it is really cold for to much time in the pool). I would love any fun trivia questions. I know one would be about the third eleveator being a telephone spot. I can write that like:
what is the "special elevator"?

Or something like that

So, does anyone have some fun ideas for a scavenger hunt or some other unique BC trivia?

You could make a pressed penny (I think the machine is in or near the arcade)- the penny would be 51 cent to make, hopefully you would not have to spend more in the arcade!

You could try to find these things:

MovieontheBeachsign.jpg

YCglobe.jpg

(Yacht Club Lobby)

P7170712.jpg

(I think this is on the wall along the walkway from BC to YC, but not positive)

So, does anyone have some fun ideas for a scavenger hunt or some other unique BC trivia?

You could make a pressed penny (I think the machine is in or near the arcade)- the penny would be 51 cent to make, hopefully you would not have to spend more in the arcade!

You could try to find these things:

MovieontheBeachsign.jpg

YCglobe.jpg

(Yacht Club Lobby)

P7170712.jpg

(I think this is on the wall along the walkway from BC to YC, but not positive)

This is exactly what I am looking for!!! Thanks for starting the ideas!!! Also if we need to tell him early where we are staying any other ideas of how to suprise him with the news maybe this weekend or next. We still haven't made the final decision but real bad news is probably coming in the next week that will affect my son but it is not his fault, so we thought we might lessen the blow with this surprise at staying at the Beach club.

Please keep the ideas coming! thank you!

PS. Please tell me the answers where "mom" can help find the answers. I won't know where to find things either! Thanks!

I think you would have to look around on the day you are at the pool to see which areas are quiet and relaxing- there are several beautiful areas at the pools- some waterfalls, the windmill.

This was taken on an afternoon in July- there are some spots that aren't very crowded

P7120287.jpg

It is usually pretty quiet up in the Gazebo over Hurricane Hanna's- we have always been able to find empty loungers, and you could bring a book or have a great vantage point overlooking the pool, but since you are up, a lot of the noise would be dampened.

IMG_0932.jpg

You could also settle into one of the loungers at the beach, watch the HS/EP boat dock and enjoy the view of the Boardwalk.

P8180411.jpg

Fantastic, thank you :goodvibes

1. Where do I find Stormalong's hours? We will be there in a little over a week! :cool1:

2. Our arrival day will be spent relaxing around the resort or maybe going to Downtown Disney. We won't be able to use a park ticket to go see Illuminations, so where at the resort would be a good place to see Illuminations? Or would we need to walk to the Boardwalk or somewhere else to see it?

3. It's our first stay at this resort. I'm wondering if people just walk thru the BC lobby soaking wet from SAB? Do you even have a choice?

Thanks!

Of course you wouldn't walk through the lobby soaking wet! There are tons of pool towels available. As long as you dry off and put on a cover up you should be fine walking through the lobby.

Thanks

We enjoy the area over by the Yacht Club actually. Although it is close to the shallow sand area that attracts the little ones I don't find it too noisy.

Especially the area that is "in front of" Yachtsman Steakhouse. It can be shady back there too which is nice. Also not a lot of action going on in the pool next to that area, which we enjoy. It is kind of a dead zone off the lazy river area.

There is also an entrance/exit nearby, which means a place to get fresh towels.
Hope you get to enjoy!

Thanks

Last July while DH was up in room doing work during our mid-day park break, DD and I would head to SAB. She would swim around in the sandy bottom area or head to the slide. I would hang out sitting in the sandy bottom pool right near Hurricane Hanna's (sp.?)!!! It was very relaxing, and there were several adults in that area. The water is shallow enough that you can sit in the sand and not have water up to your ears!! The only thing that was missing, was a nice frosty drink:rotfl: They don't allow you to have any drinks in the pool, which honestly I do understand, but I don't have to like it;)

After relaxing in the pool, I would have NO problem finding a lounge chair closer to YC for all three of us when DH would come down to join us.

While my students were working on their living rooms, I decided to play with the layout for "our" special room. Remember this is just the main area. We go have additional daybeds in the back room along with the supplies for Marco Polo, Scooters Races, Towel Animal Making and even a washer and dryer for the Laundry Service!

Let me know if we need to add more.

SecretCloset-1.jpg

Sorry, I am new at this picture thing. I will get it right eventually

While my students were working on their living rooms, I decided to play with the layout for "our" special room. Remember this is just the main area. We go have additional daybeds in the back room along with the supplies for Marco Polo, Scooters Races, Towel Animal Making and even a washer and dryer for the Laundry Service!

SecretCloset-1.jpg

:rotfl:AWESOME!

SecretCloset-1.jpg

OMG!!!! This is too funny! I am screaming with laughter and the dog is giving me the hairy eyeball wondering why I have TOTALLY LOST IT! :rotfl2:

This is just PERFECT! Of course there is no way you can draw on paper the way the room expands and contracts based on occupancy. Teena's throne was just in the right spot and the day beds look way too comfy.

Now it's time for a confession. You know all those lifts and cranes that have been hanging around the outside of the hotel? Well it seems that they were there to construct a Fantasy fireworks viewing area on the roof for our Fantasy Mousekeeping closet/suite. Yeah sure they were there to rehab the resort, but if we are making this all up then we might as well make up a fantasy fireworks viewing platform right? Thank goodness we had those cranes to lift the wet bar and the all weather patio furniture in place! The stage we placed up there for the Chippendales revolves so there is no such thing as a bad view, which most people tend to say about the Chippendales!

Yep! I'd say this little project is shaping up nicely thanks to all of the input! Thread readers should fire away if they have any other ideas for our Beach Club fantasy.

Thanks for the GREAT room layout WsPrincess. :worship: You really nailed it!!! :thumbsup2

Marlton Mom

We enjoy the area over by the Yacht Club actually. Although it is close to the shallow sand area that attracts the little ones I don't find it too noisy.

Especially the area that is "in front of" Yachtsman Steakhouse. It can be shady back there too which is nice. Also not a lot of action going on in the pool next to that area, which we enjoy. It is kind of a dead zone off the lazy river area.

There is also an entrance/exit nearby, which means a place to get fresh towels.
Hope you get to enjoy!

Last July while DH was up in room doing work during our mid-day park break, DD and I would head to SAB. She would swim around in the sandy bottom area or head to the slide. I would hang out sitting in the sandy bottom pool right near Hurricane Hanna's (sp.?)!!! It was very relaxing, and there were several adults in that area. The water is shallow enough that you can sit in the sand and not have water up to your ears!! The only thing that was missing, was a nice frosty drink:rotfl: They don't allow you to have any drinks in the pool, which honestly I do understand, but I don't have to like it;)

After relaxing in the pool, I would have NO problem finding a lounge chair closer to YC for all three of us when DH would come down to join us.

Thank you so much, looks like the YC side is the way to go :)

Fantasy fireworks viewing area on the roof for our Fantasy Mousekeeping closet/suite.

MM - Can't wait to see the new thread on the board about the new viewing area at the YC/BC to watch the fireworks. I'm assuming it will be in a spot so all three shows (WS, MK and DHS) can be seen at the same time!!

Thanks!

1. I know Dee addressed this - just wanted to add that we received different reports from the front desk and the lifeguards last year - so definitely check with the lifeguards! You might get more swim time!

2. We're doing a non-park stay in August (although someone in my family recently pointed out that it's not really non-parks since we decided to honor the boys' request for Typhoon Lagoon.) Anyway, we're big fans of Illuminations and have always watched from inside the park, so we asked for recommendations. Robyn suggested the bridge between BC and Boardwalk, so if we're not in the pool (great photo, Dee!) then we'll be over on that bridge.

3. I agree with Robyn - lots of towels at SAB! Two things to add:

a) The BC lobby is very nice, but I also think it has a comfortable and casual feel. (Thanks Teena!) So we're comfortable going through the lobby after swimming. If you are in a 5th floor CL room, that's the way to go because you'll need those main elevators to get to the 5th floor.

b) But if you are headed back to a deluxe room or suite on another floor, or any standard room, an alternate route might be more convenient. Here's what we do under those circumstances: We exit SAB, turn left, walk down the path along Crescent Lake and enter near the quiet pool or the "secret entrance" mentioned on the first page. The elevator near the quiet pool is less busy than the main elevators if we enter near the quiet pool, and we just take the stairs up if we use the "secret entrance." Hope that makes sense - see map on the front page if that helps!

MM - Can't wait to see the new thread on the board about the new viewing area at the YC/BC to watch the fireworks. I'm assuming it will be in a spot so all three shows (WS, MK and DHS) can be seen at the same time!!

The hydraulic rotating lift makes that TOTALLY possible!

~MM

OMG!!!! This is too funny! I am screaming with laughter and the dog is giving me the hairy eyeball wondering why I have TOTALLY LOST IT! :rotfl2:

This is just PERFECT! Of course there is no way you can draw on paper the way the room expands and contracts based on occupancy. Teena's throne was just in the right spot and the day beds look way too comfy.

Now it's time for a confession. You know all those lifts and cranes that have been hanging around the outside of the hotel? Well it seems that they were there to construct a Fantasy fireworks viewing area on the roof for our Fantasy Mousekeeping closet/suite. Yeah sure they were there to rehab the resort, but if we are making this all up then we might as well make up a fantasy fireworks viewing platform right? Thank goodness we had those cranes to lift the wet bar and the all weather patio furniture in place! The stage we placed up there for the Chippendales revolves so there is no such thing as a bad view, which most people tend to say about the Chippendales!

Yep! I'd say this little project is shaping up nicely thanks to all of the input! Thread readers should fire away if they have any other ideas for our Beach Club fantasy.

Thanks for the GREAT room layout WsPrincess. :worship: You really nailed it!!! :thumbsup2

Marlton Mom

Way too funny!! Love it!!!

You all crack me up! I hope that tub is jetted!!!

Any more ideas on the scavenger hunt and/ or how to tell him that we are staying at BC in a special way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!