2008 DDP Changes-CHANGING EATING HABITS!

Regarding the 18% gratuity on items not included in the dining plan.....

You've obviously never been on a cruise - RCL and Carnival both add 18% gratuity to EVERYTHING - all food/booze not included in the regular meals.

You're right, I've never been on one. However, I would have imagined it would be like that on a cruise. Not sure why since I've never been on one. :confused3 Just seems like something they'd do.

It does drive me buggy sometimes - but what can you do.

I would suggest a cruise- I love them. I really want to go on a disney cruise - maybe someday.

Still haven't decided about the DDP for next year, probably not - I recently purchased DVC so I'll probably for the the DDE card next time.

So, they just decide to charge 18% for 2 glasses of wine or whatever, rather than the 15%?? And the fact that it is "mandatory" is ridiculous! Are people who aren't on the dining plan having to pay a mandatory tip? We shouldn't have to either!!! This makes me very angry.

This is not a 2008 DDP change. :confused3 This is not a "new" change, I should say. When using the DDP an 18% tip was always added to "extras"-extra food, alcohol, etc. At least it was that way in 2005 and 2006. I even remember lots and lots of threads where people over tipped, because they didn't realize the 18% was already there and added another tip. In 2006, we used the plan and everything we bought OOP had the 18% tip. I kind of liked it because I didn't have to worry about figuring out the tip.

This is not a 2008 DDP change. :confused3 This is not a "new" change, I should say. When using the DDP an 18% tip was always added to "extras"-extra food, alcohol, etc. At least it was that way in 2005 and 2006. I even remember lots and lots of threads where people over tipped, because they didn't realize the 18% was already there and added another tip. In 2006, we used the plan and everything we bought OOP had the 18% tip. I kind of liked it because I didn't have to worry about figuring out the tip.

Yes, I started thinking about that yesterday and dug out my old reciepts. My DS was 2 years old last trip so he didn't fit into the dining plan. If we didn't eat buffet then we had to buy him a plate OOP. On the receipts where we got a beer and glass of wine there most certainly is "Gratuity Included". And yes we even gave more on top of that. I pretty much feel like an idiot right now. :sad2: I am usually the one who is ALWAYS on top of things like this. I suppose I lowered my guard a bit because we were on our 1st vacation in 10 YEARS plus it was DS's 1st trip. Also because that is just not a charge that makes any sense to me so I wouldn't normally watch out for it.

Ah well, live and learn I guess. This will probably be the last time we use the DP anyway. And this time I will be adjusting the tips accordingly.

Yes, I started thinking about that yesterday and dug out my old reciepts. My DS was 2 years old last trip so he didn't fit into the dining plan. If we didn't eat buffet then we had to buy him a plate OOP. On the receipts where we got a beer and glass of wine there most certainly is "Gratuity Included". And yes we even gave more on top of that. I pretty much feel like an idiot right now. :sad2: I am usually the one who is ALWAYS on top of things like this. I suppose I lowered my guard a bit because we were on our 1st vacation in 10 YEARS plus it was DS's 1st trip. Also because that is just not a charge that makes any sense to me so I wouldn't normally watch out for it.

Ah well, live and learn I guess. This will probably be the last time we use the DP anyway. And this time I will be adjusting the tips accordingly.

Yes, it was pretty easy figuring out the tip, since the 18% was already included. We tip 20% normally, so we just always added a few extra dollars for drinks to bring it to 20%.

We do normally like a sit down meal every day but without the DDP we'll probably do half the sit downs at disney places but even there without the DDP we'll probably drink water (we often did this even with DDP) and my just turned 10 kid will order kids meals at non-buffets. For the other sit down meals we'll do a free meal at rain forest cafe (gift cert from mypoints) and wolfgang puck express which is close enough to sit down for my family. We'll also order Giordano's pizza one night too. For CS we'll never order desserts and the kiddos will probably share 1 adult meal. We usually eat pretty cheap CS (pizza) and some Mickey Wafflle CS breakfasts anyway. Our snacks also tend to the cheaper pretzels, popcorn, and mostly ice cream bars. On the old plan we weren't saving tons but on the new we'd be pretty close to losing and have less flexibility for the kiddos unless they raise prices which very well may happen before Jan 08 anyway :confused3

Yvonne

I know once the kids turn 10 the meal plan isn't worth it. We'll be doing alot less table service meals.

Will Disney add the 18% gratuity if you have the deluxe meal plan and give you a bill or is it up to the customer to leave a tip based on service? I know this past August when we went we ended up tipping even though it was included in our meal costs. We were so impressed with the servers and how they handled my son's food allergies that we always gave more. I am sure that we will no longer be able to give more now that the 18% is not included.

The following was taken from the 2008 Disney Deluxe Dining Plan and shows that the 2008 Deluxe Plan does not include gratuity.

Gratuities are not included unless otherwise indicated. An 18% gratuity will be added
automatically for parties of 6 or more. A gratuity may also be added automatically for ordered
items that are not included in the Disney Deluxe Dining Plan (e.g. alcoholic beverages).

How are off site dinners a better value if you rent a car to get there?

Well, I work hard to find a car (including tax and fees) around $20.00/day. We drive from the airport (no waiting for ME) have our luggage immediately. We pick up breakfast/snack items from grocery store, as well as reasonably priced nice wines. Breakfast is in room, lunch is generally light, with the occasional table service. We book several signature table service dinners, and then enjoy off-site, as well. Off site-plenty of very nice dinners for two around 30-50.00 total. It's a very good deal. When vacation is done, check-in at Disney, and then zip to the airport in our rental....no waiting, again.

I save money (for starters, priced wines in the Disney shops lately?), and I don't have to spread sheet my eating. For me, it's the flexibility I want on vacation.

lilyv, you hit upon a big point with this...

I don't have to spread sheet my eating

I tend to be an OCD planner, and planning out my every last detail far in advance is not that big of a deal to me. However, you are right. Lots of people don't like having to plan every last thing out 6 months before they leave and there are many people who don't even plan their trips out that far. My mom finds it inconceivable that we have to make our dining reservations for March this coming Sunday.

I know that there are always some TS places to eat. I know if you're flexible with your times and flexible with where you eat you can eat somewhere. You won't starve at Disney. Ever. However, there is a sense of freedom in eating where you want when you want.

I think that Disney may be hoping to open that freedom up for those that choose to eat on site by making the DDP slightly less attractive and by also turning tables over faster (by cutting out a course).

JMO

Tricia, you stole my quote! I thought what lilyv said
I don't have to spread sheet my eating
was perfect! Our next 2 trips are "spread sheeted" because of DDP, but then we will spread our wings and go back to the good old days (of winging it!).

Regarding the 18% gratuity on items not included in the dining plan.....

Even when you order room service be it at Disney or a stay at any hotel they automatically add 18% gratuity on the bill so it does not seem above board to us, just the cost of doing business (or eating).

I think when Disney sees the drop in ddp and the drop in on site bookings they will rethink this change. For me it still is fine not awesome like it was. Let's face it you don't have to tip and an entree and a dessert is plenty. I'm not saying I wouldn't tip but I don't have to!!

I think when Disney sees the drop in ddp and the drop in on site bookings they will rethink this change. For me it still is fine not awesome like it was. Let's face it you don't have to tip and an entree and a dessert is plenty. I'm not saying I wouldn't tip but I don't have to!!

It will be interesting to see if there is a drop in people using DDP in 2008. You are right that an entree and dessert is plenty but I'd still like to see a choice between appetizer and dessert. There are plenty people out there that cannot have sugar.

There had better be a drop in people using the Dining Plan in 2008, since many of us suspect that was part of the intention for the changes.

There had better be a drop in people using the Dining Plan in 2008, since many of us suspect that was part of the intention for the changes.

Was Disney losing or the restaurants with the old DDP? Did the servers get 18% on the total bill or what Disney reimbursed the restaurant?

Was Disney losing or the restaurants with the old DDP?
I don't think "losing" is necessarily part of this... the objective isn't to "lose less" but to "gain more". Beyond that, I think the answer to such questions, which incidentally no one at WDW is going to volunteer for us, are more complicated than "yes" to this and "no" to that. Aspects of business strategy are often more interrelated.

Did the servers get 18% on the total bill or what Disney reimbursed the restaurant?
It depended on whether it was a Disney-owned restaurant (where servers were always provided a gratuity of 18% of the total bill) or not (where each restaurant could have their own policy; some did it one way, some did it the other).

I am planning on eating with the characters for all of my TS. this way, the children I will be taking, will get their pictures taken with the characters and we can spend the time with the other great things..my children LOVE breakfast so it will be money well spent....

It will be interesting to see if there is a drop in people using DDP in 2008. You are right that an entree and dessert is plenty but I'd still like to see a choice between appetizer and dessert. There are plenty people out there that cannot have sugar.

I totally agree I like the appies much more usually but sometimes ther is a dessert just crying out to me. For couples or more the choice would be great as 1 could have dessert and 1 appie and share!!I'm hoping that they make that change

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter