2008 DDP Changes-CHANGING EATING HABITS!

Actually, I don't think the Dining Plan had as much impact on the 2TS restaurants as it did on the 1TS restaurants. I do think, though, that these changes for 2008 will relieve a lot of the problems with accessibility to these restaurants that folks have encountered over the last few years. There will still be some places that will be hard to get into (there always has been) but it won't be as bad as it is today.

Things change every year. Folks should not foster an expectation that things will change so much in the way they'd hope for 2009 -- that's just a good way to set yourself up for disappointment. At this point, it is as likely as not that things will change again for 2009 in the same direction as they've changed for 2008. ... and just as likely that the changes for 2009 will be totally unrelated to the changes for 2008, not reversing any of them, nor driving them further in the same direction.

I really wouldn't be surprised if one of the changes they make for 2009 would be to offer a choice of appetizer or dessert. This would serve those Disney guests better who cannot eat desserts due to medical conditions.

However, that would undercut what many believe is the main reason for no longer including appetizers in the Dining Plan. I think they'd be more likely to expand the set of options for desserts, to include something that folks with such medical conditions can eat.

However, that would undercut what many believe is the main reason for no longer including appetizers in the Dining Plan. I think they'd be more likely to expand the set of options for desserts, to include something that folks with such medical conditions can eat.

That would be great if Disney could do that, although with so many medical conditions out there it might be difficult for Disney to accomodate the majority of people with those problems.

Well, I think there is a difference between options that folks with medical conditions "can eat" and options that are designed for such people. A relatively few number of options will cover the vast majority of all medical conditions. They may not be "perfectly balanced" for any of them, but acceptable for all of them, in moderation (of course).

Actually, I don't think the Dining Plan had as much impact on the 2TS restaurants as it did on the 1TS restaurants. I do think, though, that these changes for 2008 will relieve a lot of the problems with accessibility to these restaurants that folks have encountered over the last few years. There will still be some places that will be hard to get into (there always has been) but it won't be as bad as it is today.

Things change every year. Folks should not foster an expectation that things will change so much in the way they'd hope for 2009 -- that's just a good way to set yourself up for disappointment. At this point, it is as likely as not that things will change again for 2009 in the same direction as they've changed for 2008. ... and just as likely that the changes for 2009 will be totally unrelated to the changes for 2008, not reversing any of them, nor driving them further in the same direction.

The 2TS restaurants may not have had the same "impact" as the 1TS restaurants but when we tried to book the 2TS they still did not have anything available.

While I do look ahead to 2009 to see what the impact of the 2008 DP will have we will not be disappointed either way. There are so many wonderful restaurants off site that we will eat well.

my family will continue to use the dining plan as well far beyond 2008. My 2 sons love to eat and I don't mind paying the tips- the waitstaff deserves it after dealing with my family. The fact the new 2008 dp doesn't include an appetizer doesn't bother me one bit because on the old plan which includes the appetizer sometimes it is too much. Having just the entree is fine with us as it is always good and plenty. I am already planning next year's trip- there will be 5 of us and I will include the new dining plan as well as in the past.

I agree with everything you said! :thumbsup2

As for just being charged for something that they aren't making perfectly clear in the first place, yes this makes me angry. :confused3

I understand your anger - I do.

BUT - If you ordered a 6.95 glass of wine, and they added an 18% grat to it it would be:

$1.25

If you normally tip 15% ($1.04) this is a difference of 21 cents. Twenty One cents! IMO - not worth getting yourself worked up over.

And I always tip MORE then 20% - so as far as I'm concerned, Disney is saving me money tacking on 18%. :laughing:

I really wouldn't be surprised if one of the changes they make for 2009 would be to offer a choice of appetizer or dessert. This would serve those Disney guests better who cannot eat desserts due to medical conditions.

When we go out we almost always order an appetizer. We just like them. When we go out we rarely order dessert, unless we are at Disney. This has nothing to do any medical condition for any of us. We just like the appetizers more and when it comes time for dessert we're too full to eat it, so we don't order it. :) I would absolutely love a choice between appetizer and dessert too.

Our server at Le Cellier told us she has heard the same complaint from quite a few guests and she said she wouldn't be surprised if they did change it to a choice, because that seems to be what the people want...I know she is just a server so has no real say in what Disney ultimately does, but Disney would be wise to ask servers what comments they have heard from customers...the servers are, after all, the ones that deal with diners on a day to day basis.

Sara

I agree...for us the major appeal was the pre-paid, all inclusive part of the dining plan. The cost savings wasn't anywhere near as important to us as the stressfree, no need to carry around cash perk. It felt like when we entered the park, we could use it as we wished without pulling out more cash every 5 minutes...a real perk for my dh especially.

The convenience was definitely the biggest part of DDP's appeal for me. Usually, I go to WDW with my daugther who is seven. In the last year, she didn't really enjoy the Kid's Meal options and I figured I was at the end of my DDP rope anyway. We can do breakfast in the room, pack our own snacks and that will cut out quite a bit of the cost. She's a light eater (bird light) so the portion sizes for the kid's DDP suited her, but the choices are terrible. So, DDP is now a thing of the past and we can pretty much share meals at counter service Cosmic Rays is a great place to get a good dinner meal. They have those 1/2 rotisserie chicken dinners and believe me, that's more than enough for two.

The prices at the new Italian eatery in Epcot are astronomical... I mean, it's pasta. We're talking flour, water, and tomato sauce... Lot's o money for such basic ingredients.

I do think, though, that these changes for 2008 will relieve a lot of the problems with accessibility to these restaurants that folks have encountered over the last few years.

I think you're right. I think this is the reason for the change (which, if you think about it, is like a stealth price increase). If the program is so popular that restaurants are overcrowded, it makes sense for park managers to maximize profits by 'increasing prices' (in a stealth way) just enough to keep things full, just not insanely overbooked.

We went to WDW earlier this month and used DDP. The restaurants didn't look too crowded when compared to 2006. We did Sci-Fi Dine both years. In October 2006 we had ADR's at Sci-Fi and still had to wait 2 1/2 hours before being seated. This October we were seated right away at Sci-Fi - go figure. :confused3 One thing we will change is that if we do TS meals in the future we won't do Sci-Fi again because the food was not very good this time - and I'm being nice.

I think you're right. I think this is the reason for the change (which, if you think about it, is like a stealth price increase). If the program is so popular that restaurants are overcrowded, it makes sense for park managers to maximize profits by 'increasing prices' (in a stealth way) just enough to keep things full, just not insanely overbooked.

I agree!

When WDW offers fine dining to guests but they arrive and cannot get into a restaurant then WDW has a HUGE problem.

It appears that WDW is trying to alleviate the overcrowding and all of the menu changes that they had to implement for the DDP.

That's why most, if not all, of the restaurants now offer sugar free desserts. So that won't be a consideration with the dining plan.

That's why most, if not all, of the restaurants now offer sugar free desserts. So that won't be a consideration with the dining plan.

That's great. I didn't realize that they offered sugar free desserts at most restaurants. I saw sugar free desserts at Boma, but I didn't notice them at any other restaurants.

I understand your anger - I do.

BUT - If you ordered a 6.95 glass of wine, and they added an 18% grat to it it would be:

$1.25

If you normally tip 15% ($1.04) this is a difference of 21 cents. Twenty One cents! IMO - not worth getting yourself worked up over.

And I always tip MORE then 20% - so as far as I'm concerned, Disney is saving me money tacking on 18%. :laughing:

I agree with you. I usually tip 20%, but have this stubborn streak in me which refuses to tip more when tip is forced on me. So my family will have to tip the mandatory 18% because there are six of us. The servers lose the extra 2% from me.

I agree with you. I usually tip 20%, but have this stubborn streak in me which refuses to tip more when tip is forced on me. So my family will have to tip the mandatory 18% because there are six of us. The servers lose the extra 2% from me.

If your servers are really good there usually is a line on the bill where you can add additional gratuity when you want to.:)

If your servers are really good there usually is a line on the bill where you can add additional gratuity when you want to.:)

Unfortunately at this time there is not a line if you are using only the DDP. If we bought extra there was a line, but if we used just the plan it was just a $0 Bill, with no line.

Unfortunately at this time there is not a line if you are using only the DDP. If we bought extra there was a line, but if we used just the plan it was just a $0 Bill, with no line.

You're right my mistake. I did give extra $$ to one waitress (when we didn't order anything extra) just because she was excellent and even more attentive than most servers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter