20 Days in Hawaii and Disneyland - Yes, we are Lucky Nuts (Updated 9/19)

Heat are still alive. We shall se what happens in game 7.

It might surprise you that I am F.I.N.E. to see the Heat win game 7. So I can thoroughly enjoy watching them get destroyed by OKC. :rotfl2:

Actually, I am not a Miami hater. At all. Last year I wanted Dallas for Carlisle because I thought he never ever got enough respect over the years. And it was fun to bug you. :goodvibes

I like Lebron. I LOVE Wade. ADORE. That never changed with all the antics over the signing.

And I was happy for Bosh when he left T.O. BUT he ran his mouth about here for no apparent reason - most were happy for his opportunity. Weird but true.

So this series - I'm not a Celtics lover. Although I find myself totally in love with Rondo these days - transfixed - an absolute assassin at times.

Wow, I can actually hear something from the Miami crowd. :laughing: Something. Hmmm. :lmao:

Looked at the calendar and it is only 15 days until we board the plane to Hawaii!

Wow. My goodness - that came quickly. Exciting. Can't wait to hear.

Hi Proud Pappa!! It's really amazing the amount of work she had to do and the fact that she did it understanding what the benefits will be down the road! When I was her age, sadly, I just wanted to graduate, period. I just admire how much time and hard work she did to not settle for "just graduating"!!

OMG, 15 days - that is exciting!! I'm excited cause I just hit the 98 day mark, I can't imagine what I'll be like at the 15 day mark! You really have planned an amazing trip and I can't wait for your TR to officially start with pics and stuff! We really had a good time at DL and just loved the GCV's. Its such a beautiful resort. We didn't get a cabana either, they were booked while we were there but even if you don't get one, the pool is just so pretty.

I just wanted to give you a couple pointers that I learned yesterday. Disney had a Carsland preview, plus we stayed a couple nights midweek and got the low down from the Bellman. Now with the opening this Friday, DCA is going to be packed for the rest of the Summer. At least you don't have to worry about the So Cal pass holders, they are blocked out the entire month of July, but the Premium APs and Deluxes will be able to get in, plus it's the high tourist season.

First off, don't spend your time in the Standby line for Radiator Springs Racers, especially while you are at the Hojo. One of the perks for the Summer DLR guests will be early access to RSR. If it's like the Little Mermaid last year, you'll be able to ride it from 9AM to 10AM before the non Disney Resort guests are let into the park.

Also last year they were giving out anytime FPs, one for each guest each day. If they don't do this, try to get a FP for RSR so that you also get a ride in after dark. The CM said that these two different times were like Night and Day. :rotfl: But seriously, I didn't get to ride it after dark, but from the way the CM described it, the whole experience sounded really cool.

Luigi's Flying Tires, don't wait more than 20 minutes for this one. If the line extends to the room with the tires in the show room, do it some other time. We waited 30 minutes yesterday and it wasn't worth the short time we got on the ride. I've put this on my 15 minutes or less list.

Mader's Ride is fun, and a lot of people have said it's like the tea cups. Not having been on the Tea Cups, I couldn't tell you. However, I wouldn't wait more than 15-20 to do this one either.

Don't get your hopes up about eating at the Cozy Cones. They are going to have real problem with these as the lines were just awful and this was on a Preview day with limited admission. You've got lots of great dining plans and don't need to wait for snacks (which is pretty much what they serve at the cones). However, if you're like me and HAD to have a souvenir "sipper cone" than you might end up investing some time waiting. Took me 20 minutes in line for the stupid thing.

Flo's cafe looks OK as a eatery, they made it a point to make some of the choices that might often contain meat vegetarian and have it clearly labeled on the menu as well. If you're looking for CS meals n DCA, I wouldn't venture to Carsland, but instead to the newer offerings in Paradise Pier, Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta or Garden Grill. They have quite a few non meat options at those as well as hearty meat choices.

I think you mentioned that you're having lunch at the Carthay Circle Restaurant. The menu looks nice. I'm waiting to see pictures from the folks who dined there last night at $500 a head. We'll have to wait until it opens to have the $25 cheeseburger! :rotfl2: I wasn't paying those prices, for a three course meal none the less, even if it did go to a charitable cause.

Your trip is getting so close! That's good, I need another TR to follow as most of the folks I've been following are almost done with theirs! Have fun!

Thank you. Spent the other night going through past trip reports and seeing how she has grown up. They are a pain to write but glad I did them.

You are correct...it is time consuming but so rewarding when they are completed. We have spent the last week going through pictures of my dad in preparation for his memorial service and the travel through time is a great remembrance. All of us grow up too quickly :upsidedow

Alison, thanks for the continued tips and help. How cool to get a preview. We are prepared for crowds and need a plan for that. Intend to buy the other site that gives you "plans to tour by" for your trip. Have multiple day park hoppers and staying on site so we will take advantage of those perks. We will be there early at both DL and CA when we can and get as much done as early as possible.

Never thought about riding RSR at night but now it is on the list. Have to ride Luigi's (I love bumper car rides) but if Mater's is like Tea Cups I will have to skip it (hate spinning). Cozy Cones looks cool but with the meals we have already planned, we can skip that if the line is too long. Will take pictures though. There seems to be good CS possibilities on Paradise Pier. It would be neat to eat at Flo's but not a must do.

Carthay was an afterthought. While I was hold to get a Napa Rose reservation (for everyone else, you have to call the restaurant directly) they said that they were taking reservations for the restaurant. Knew nothing about it but made one anyway. Glad I did. Looks like an interesting place. You also get preferred viewing for World of Color if you order enough food. I agree with you and would pass on having a $500 dinner there.

Getting excited. Now 13 days from when we will be on a plane to Hawaii. Lots to do before then but can't wait for the adventure to begin.

You are correct...it is time consuming but so rewarding when they are completed. We have spent the last week going through pictures of my dad in preparation for his memorial service and the travel through time is a great remembrance. All of us grow up too quickly :upsidedow

Sorry to hear about your dad. Thoughts to you and your family. We have been dealing with too many losses lately in our family. DD's mom passed away in 2010, I lost my brother a couple of months ago and her grandmother just passed. Decided I am going to use the rest of my time here to grab that brass ring every chance I can. One of the reasons for this trip. Hugs to you and yours.

Thanks CJ...it's been a tough week. You are correct in that every day should be lived to the fullest and not to put off things "until later." In my line of work as a critical care nurse, I see so many folks laying in beds whose biggest regret is the fact they have put things off-some of them are able to leave me and go do those things, and some of them never get to realize those dreams.

Thankfully, my father was able to retire when he was 52 so he had 12 years to enjoy before becoming ill. Even after he was diagnosed, he found time and energy to reroof the house, build my mother a sunroom, and cedar shake the entire exterior. He also traveled to Alaska twice for last hunting/fishing trips, did a cross country road trip to the Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam right before Thanksgiving with one of his best friends, and went to northern Ontario to spend time with extended family there as well. He left here without regrets...and that is a huge lesson to all of us.

Have a great time on the graduation celebration trip...we will all be sitting here on the sidelines waiting for reports :)

Thanks CJ...it's been a tough week. You are correct in that every day should be lived to the fullest and not to put off things "until later." In my line of work as a critical care nurse, I see so many folks laying in beds whose biggest regret is the fact they have put things off-some of them are able to leave me and go do those things, and some of them never get to realize those dreams.

Thankfully, my father was able to retire when he was 52 so he had 12 years to enjoy before becoming ill. Even after he was diagnosed, he found time and energy to reroof the house, build my mother a sunroom, and cedar shake the entire exterior. He also traveled to Alaska twice for last hunting/fishing trips, did a cross country road trip to the Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam right before Thanksgiving with one of his best friends, and went to northern Ontario to spend time with extended family there as well. He left here without regrets...and that is a huge lesson to all of us.

Have a great time on the graduation celebration trip...we will all be sitting here on the sidelines waiting for reports :)

I hope to do the same as your dad. Time will heal the hurt and the fun memories will be the ones that you recall. DD's mom was the Associate Head Nurse at the Trauma Facility down here. Taking SIL to the airport, we stopped there to see a plaque they put up in her honor. I know from personal experience, you guys do great work.

UPS was good to me yesterday. The replacement camera (for the one DD lost) and underwater housing was delivered. Played with it last night and even got the external flash to work. Have to go to the Keys to give it a test run. Hopefully it will produce some good pictures while diving in Hawaii.

Update: 11 days until we board the plane.

DD's mom was the Associate Head Nurse at the Trauma Facility down here. Taking SIL to the airport, we stopped there to see a plaque they put up in her honor. I know from personal experience, you guys do great work.

Yeah...just because you had personal experience once as a patient doesn't mean you need to try it out again. We actually prefer when patients come back to visit in street clothes instead of those gray/blue smocks :)

I commend DD's mom-trauma nursing is a real calling-you see so many young people wrecked at the prime of their lives. Of course, in cardiac critical care and cardiac surgery, we are seeing them much younger than even ten years ago.

Congratulations to your DD and what a wonderful trip you have planned! Alison suggested I come check out your adventure in the making, can't wait to hear about it :) I just bought some Aulani points a few months ago, but won't be able to go until at least September 2013. I also dive so will really enjoy hearing about that part too :)

Yeah...just because you had personal experience once as a patient doesn't mean you need to try it out again. We actually prefer when patients come back to visit in street clothes instead of those gray/blue smocks :)

I commend DD's mom-trauma nursing is a real calling-you see so many young people wrecked at the prime of their lives. Of course, in cardiac critical care and cardiac surgery, we are seeing them much younger than even ten years ago.

When I went to her unit, the staff would place bets if I'd pass out/throw up or not. Couldn't do what you guys do.

Congratulations to your DD and what a wonderful trip you have planned! Alison suggested I come check out your adventure in the making, can't wait to hear about it :) I just bought some Aulani points a few months ago, but won't be able to go until at least September 2013. I also dive so will really enjoy hearing about that part too :)

Thank you Pam. Listen to what Alison says, she is a smart lady. Went diving Saturday but the external flash (that I just bought) started to leak when I put it in the dunk tank. Pulled it out right away and had the place check it and it was a bad gasket. Replaced it and tested out OK. So unfortunately, no pictures and no test dive with the new camera.

Don't know proper protocol on where to post the non DVC part but will let everyone know where it is.

TO (Take off) Day is rapidly approaching. Tons of stuff to do and today is busy. Lets see: New glasses ordered, prescriptions picked up, laundry is starting, dive gear is rinsed and drying, rental car for the Hawaii legs reserved. Still have tons to do.

May have to break my unwritten rule of finishing a TR before another trip.

Take off day is rapidly approaching. Too much stuff to do before we leave. Last loads of laundry will soon be done. Dragged out my dive gear and camera stuff and hope to have them packed tonight. An unusual step for me, I am actually thinking about what clothes I am taking. Most of the time I just throw some stuff in a bag.

Final arrangements are just about done. Cars rented for Kona and Oahu. Rates were pretty good. Have a kid watching the house and taking care of the dogs. Paying her but a lot cheaper than if they were at the vet. Only things left to do is get a room near the Honolulu airport before we fly to LA and figure out how I am getting to Disney from the Airport.

Getting excited about this.

Dogs? Did you add to your family?

Have mega fun on your trip. I am looking forward to hearing about your adventures.

kate

We are all very excited for you...and cannot wait to live vicariously through your trip report!

I know they have shuttles from the airport to Disney but not sure if they cost anything. I can't quite remember since it was only cursory investigating for a possible trip.

Can't wait to hear all about this trip! Especially Aulani!

Getting to Anaheim from LAX is always a quandary. There is no DME. There.is a Disneyland bus for a fee, there's always Super Shuttle, Prime Time, or Taxi. I've read numerous pros and cons for each on the DL board and the various GC threads. Either way it will probably cost you $50-100 to get there.

You're coming in on a Sunday so at least that's the one day.that LA traffic isn't as bad as normal so you should be checking in at the hotel within a couple hours of landing. Without traffic LAX us about 45 minutes from DL, on a Sunday you should be able to get there in about an hour.

Bags are by the door and we are ready to go. Shuttle is picking us up at 4 am for the 13 hour trip to Hawaii. Guess this is really happening.

Next post will be from the Aloha state.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter