20 Days in Hawaii and Disneyland - Yes, we are Lucky Nuts (Updated 9/19)

You have a beautiful and accomplished daughter...you have relatively good health...and you are having cocktails in a cabana in Hawaii....that is definitely not one of the definitions of life sucking ;)

I, on the other hand, went back to work today for the first time in five weeks. Now that sucks :sick:

Your life definitely doesn't suck! Hope you're enjoying that cocktail by now.

Having a cocktail right now Alison. Also am chastising the birds that want to share our complimentary fruit plate. GO AWAY, YOU WERE NOT INVITED TO THE PARTY! This is fun.

Looks like an awesome time! We leave this Sunday, spending 2 days in LA then will be at the resort on Tuesday afternoon, can't wait! Enjoy your time!

Looks like an awesome time! We leave this Sunday, spending 2 days in LA then will be at the resort on Tuesday afternoon, can't wait! Enjoy your time!

You are going to like this place. First class resort. We will be landing in LA on Monday.

Thanks for the update!

All are well in our household. I have a broken finger and a broken foot but both are healing nicely. Luckily it is summer semester and all my classes are online so I do not need to drive/walk to/from work.

Sarah is spending the summer being a "teen zoo keeper", (volunteer gig) at our local zoo and (another volunteer gig), playing chess with the seniors at our senior center. Keeps her busy and keeps me happy.

kate

Kate, two broken bones? Glad you don't have to run around at least. Sounds like Sarah is going to have a fun summer.

I'm in, ready to read all about your Hawaii adventures and your Aulani impressions AND of course your Disneyland experiences. Congrats to your daughter, still reading the pretrip report.

It was hectic busy last month of school, now slowing picking up from the chaos in the house.

Can't wait for your Aulani visit, we're set to go for my DD BFF's wedding there in Jan 2013. Oh, wait, maybe I shouldn't say that too loudly, wouldn't want my oldest (who just got engaged) to get any ideas. She did say she wanted either a Disney or a Hawaiian themed wedding.

Congrats to your oldest. Seen a lot of couples in wedding attire walking around the resort getting their photo shoot. You are going to like it here.

Hey CJ...I just wanted to give you a heads up for your DL trip. When you first go to Carsland, there are three different ways to enter Carsland. From A Bug's Land, from the walkway going away from Carthay Circle, and the best one is from Pacific Wharf. If you want that *W*O*W* factor when you first see the land (which we were lucky enough to get), when you get to the fountain, don't proceed forward, but turn right towards Soarin'. Pass Grizzly River Run and head on to the Little Mermaid ride. From there you can walk down the gang plank to Pacific Wharf and go through the entrance there. It's an absolutely stunning view that almost makes you think of the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon or any of those other Western landmarks.

However, you may be so caught up in the moment that you can't resist going right to the FP machine past the Carthay Circle Theater and see if any are left. If it's after noon, from what I hear they are all gone, it's the Epcot Soarin' of DCA. The good news is that Soarin' is sort of old hat to Californians and you can easily ride that all day.

Thanks for the tip. So far, the first day will be at the original. Think I will take your advice and hit carsland that night. Not to ride of course but to see the sights.

While I am lounging around, thought I would post a few more pictures...

View from the room
IMG_0551.jpg

Shaved Ice
IMG_0571.jpg

Dinner the other night at Ama Ama. Great meal.
IMG_0584.jpg

cj9200, what view category did you book?

We have a 1BR Ocean View. It really is a partial view of the ocean. We are high up, on the 15th (of 16) floor. Whatever view you request, ask for a high floor. It is a pretty good view.

Today was the first mediocre day with the weather at Aulani. Light rain this morning and cloudy all day. The Pirate Princess is a bit miffed because she wants a deep tan before heading to New Jersey for school. Tonight we have dinner at Roy's and tomorrow a trip to Pearl Harbor.

We have a 1BR Ocean View. It really is a partial view of the ocean. We are high up, on the 15th (of 16) floor. Whatever view you request, ask for a high floor. It is a pretty good view.

Today was the first mediocre day with the weather at Aulani. Light rain this morning and cloudy all day. The Pirate Princess is a bit miffed because she wants a deep tan before heading to New Jersey for school. Tonight we have dinner at Roy's and tomorrow a trip to Pearl Harbor.

Well, it doesn't look like too much ocean but it is lovely nonetheless. Roys for dinner after already doing Ama Ama? Wow!

jekjones1558 said:
Well, it doesn't look like too much ocean but it is lovely nonetheless. Roys for dinner after already doing Ama Ama? Wow!

Would love to hear about Roy's we are there next week and thinking about trying it for dinner

Would love to hear about Roy's we are there next week and thinking about trying it for dinner

I guess it is Hawaiian Fusion. Strong Asian influences. I had two appetizers the crab cakes and pork/shrimp pot stickers. The crab cakes had a mango sauce that was pretty spicy. Very good. The pot stickers were nothing to write home about.

DD also two appetizers, a Mango, cheese and olive platter and vegetarian sushi. The sushi had mushrooms, Asian vegetables and a spicy soy sauce. She really liked the sushi.

I don't eat fish and that was their big thing. They also had a couple of steaks but I had steak a couple of days ago. Overall I thought it was good, not memorable. Ama Ama was better. Probably because what I ordered.

Fine dinning and priced that way.

Spent the 4th at Pearl Harbor and the Arizona Memorial. Humbling and moving thinking of that day. A couple of pics.

IMG_0783.jpg

IMG_0804.jpg

IMG_0821.jpg

Thanks to all that have served. Hope everyone had a great Independence Day.

Awesome! I'm sure you will have an amazingly fitting tribute when you get to the actual TR! So Glad you are having a good time@

Spent the 4th at Pearl Harbor and the Arizona Memorial. Humbling and moving thinking of that day. A couple of pics.

IMG_0783.jpg

IMG_0804.jpg

IMG_0821.jpg

Thanks to all that have served. Hope everyone had a great Independence Day.

Awesome way to spend the 4th CJ...

Is that a hidden Mickey (or Minnie) behind Pirate Princess? :)

Yesterday was an interesting day. We did an all day ABD tour to the other side of the island. That is the windward or wet side of Oahu. And yes it was wet. Part of the trip was a 2 hour horseback riding trip around one of the valleys. DD loves riding and had a great time. I do not and walked funny after the ride. A couple of pics. It was beautiful.

IMG_1143.jpg

IMG_1088.jpg

IMG_1093.jpg

Last full day here. Sad about it. A has her graduation present, a day at the spa. Don't know what I am going to do, but will find something.

Well, the smile on her face says it all, Dad. I say again, you are the BEST DAD EVER!!!

Look forward to your impressions of Disneyland/DCA. My DD said to tell you not to miss the lighting of Radiator Springs neon lights. We almost missed it when we went for the preview, couldn't figure why people were just standing in the street. We were sitting in some hidden area just taking in the atmosphere. Just as we got to our group standing in the middle of the street...magic! We'll be in Disneyland this weekend watching the All American College Band shows. Maybe we'll see you there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter