1st time on DCL…worried about Sea Sickness!

Stay hydrated and watch your alcohol intake (or counter it with water). The only time I get seasick is if I let myself get dehydrated. :confused3.

I'd advise getting the motion sickness bracelets, they're not expensive and they've helped me get acclimated to the ship pretty easily. Bring anti nausea meds too if you wish. I found that you can feel the waves if the seas are rough and choppy, which depending on the season you're travelling it could differ from day to day.
But yeah, I get a little dizzy on my first day but the bracelets help. I've been on the cruise 3 times and 4th time will be this October!

I would take Bonine and wore seabands and would still feel queasy at times. On my last 2 cruises I got some ginger candy. I would suck a piece as soon as I got up, before lunch/dinner, and at bedtime. I never felt quesy and we sailed through 2 storms with rough seas.

@Polynesian27 - you mentioned that you're going on a Wish 3 nighter, but didn't mention when you're sailing - and that often makes a difference. A few thoughts from our experience. First, the Bahamas 3-nighters are typically very tame - it's not exactly the North Atlantic in February - and unless you're sailing through a tropical depression, I wouldn't expect too much motion. Second, the ships are legit huge, and very stable even in 4+ meter swells. Third, we've found that cabins on decks 6 and 7 midship (and aft) do have less movement than higher decks, and specifically cabins that are higher and forward. (In other words, avoid the concierge cabins if you don't want motion.) I do agree with the cruise cabin-selection adage that you 'pay to sway' - and we tend to prefer deck 7 for that reason.

Finally, on that itinerary, you do sail across the Florida current (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Current), which will be the likely cause of any movement you do feel. But how much you'd notice (from nothing to gentle) varies by the day, season and weather - but usually isn't very much - which makes this a great itinerary for a first cruise.

After a rough first night on our first cruise, we do the half-tablet of Bonine before boarding and sometimes on the second day. But we don't need it after that.

Another thing I have found, which sounds really strange, is that if you start playing the VR (like the Oculus Quest), your inclination to get motion sickness decreases significantly. Your body adjusts to the motion sickness caused in VR the more you play, and that translates to real world experiences for me. I didn't even need Bonine on our last cruise and rides that used to get to me at theme parks don't even phase me now. It's pretty great. Odd, I know.

I've had a childhood of getting seasick on cruises and having to get a shot and losing a day to sleep before I felt better. Now that I'm in my forties, I think I'm outgrowing it. I also use the patch and have for many cruises in the past. It usually works for me!

Question first: do you get motion sick on rides at Disney, or on long car rides?

If your answer is no, then you are less likely to get seasick. Still no guarantee, but it might ease your anxiety.
I get sick on rides,so avoid them.

I’ve never gotten seasick on a cruise. I take Bonine with us and only used it once when the captain warned us the seas would be rough. 27 cruises so far and almost every time of the year except June and July. I say, you don’t know how you’re going to be. My daughter who suffers from vertigo has never gotten sea sick either and that’s over 10 cruises for her. Crazy isn’t it?

Bring some motion sickness pills and wait and see. Lots of good tips above about drinking water and going on deck etc.

I never had motion sickness in my life until my first cruise. I start the pills the day before the cruise and I’m fine.

motion sickness has to do alot with where your line of vision is. Example I got car sick as kids, but from reading in the car.. I notice too if I am a passenger and on my phone I start to feel it come on.. Looking head on the road stops it.. Keep your eyes on the horizon and keep moving if you can.

I also notice for me working out on the magic and wonder on the steppers that overlook the front of the ship. i would get sick as my vision was machine screen/phone and the background was moving.. If i look out ahead at the sea it went away..

and some motion sickness can also be a more I have been eating and drinking too much on my cruise case

I've seen people recommend hard candies marketed for morning sickness, like Preggo Pops, or Gin-Gins candies, and also asking for a green apple to be served to you at breakfast.

motion sickness has to do alot with where your line of vision is. Example I got car sick as kids, but from reading in the car.. I notice too if I am a passenger and on my phone I start to feel it come on.. Looking head on the road stops it.. Keep your eyes on the horizon and keep moving if you can.
Yes! You want your eyes and your inner ear to be telling your body congruous information. My daughter gets motion sickness in airplane turbulence, but only when the windows are closed.

I'm so glad a found this post. My DH is begging to go on the Wish in January. I'd love to but I have major anxiety in doing so bc I get horrible seasickness. EVERY boat I've ever been on. To the extreme of nearly being court marshaled if I didn't leave the bathroom.
I'd hate to pay all that money and ruin the experience for my DH.

Thank you for the tips!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter