1st Alaska Cruise of 2022! Our Honeymoon Cruise 5/16/22 - 5/23/22 (Updated 7/14/22)

Following along! So happy to read this as we are going in august!

you will actually need to do ArriveCAN twice, once for your arrival into the country and once for the cruise itself
What do you have to do for the cruise in ArriveCAN? I filled it out for the 72 hour arrival but I don’t understand what the second part would be? thanks!

What do you have to do for the cruise in ArriveCAN? I filled it out for the 72 hour arrival but I don’t understand what the second part would be? thanks!
You fill it out with all the details of your upcoming cruise. I wasn't sure myself about what to put and then after some googling I found an article on the Disney Cruise Blog that gave me the info I used (https://disneycruiselineblog.com/20...ements-for-cruise-passengers-visiting-canada/). There were actually little handouts on the seats of the waiting area that we all sat waiting for our pre-cruise covid test results that gave pretty detailed instructions on how to do ArriveCAN for the cruise just in case you hadn't done it yet.

Following! Thanks for the points and booking info. I’m always looking for deals and need to up my points game.

Day 3 (5/16/22): Cruise Day 1!!!!!

The day has finally arrived! Jetlag is a cruel mistress and had us both wide awake at 4:45 AM. We weren't too mad about it as it gave us the opportunity to watch the Wonder sail in. The sun was already up so we positioned ourselves at the windows. Who's that peaking out from behind some trees around 6:00 AM? Could it be?

1654220720964.png 1654220755150.png

It is! The Wonder! In all Her glory!

1654221396743.png

She made her way in slowly and reversed into position next to the dock. It was great to watch, but a very different/odd experience for us as we now to had to wait a good long while to board, whereas we're usually getting on the ship within an hour of us arriving in Port Canaveral for our previous cruises. One nice service that the Pan Pacific offers is that they will collect your luggage from your room for you and deliver it to the cruise ship for you. This had to be done between 7:00 AM and 11:00 AM on your embarkation day. We called down to Bell Services at about 7:30 and someone was up to get the bags within 10 minutes. We decided then to go get some breakfast at Tim Horton's to while away some time. Our PAT was 10:30-10:45 and it was only about 9:00 AM when we finished breakfast, so we went back to the room to enjoy the view of the ships and bald eagles for a little while longer.

At about 10:15, we checked out and headed down to the Cruise Ship level of the hotel. We gave a lot of extra time for this process as Disney was very vague on specific details regarding how embarkation would work. I will give the specifics of how our morning worked for everyone's reference. From what I had read from the people who had been on the cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii, this was not going to be a good experience. I packed extra patience for this morning, and I advise everyone doing this cruise this year to do the same, you'll see why. After arriving on the CS level, we found a massive line of people with luggage waiting to get into the elevators we had just gotten off of. It turns out that these were all cruisers getting off the Hawaii cruise waiting for the post-cruise covid tests. After ambling around for a minute trying to find out if we were in the right place, we found a cast member who said that if our luggage had already been dropped we had to proceed across the street to the Fairmont Waterfront for our pre-cruise covid tests (I'll explain the whole process and then post a map from Google Earth for some reference). That is where PATs would be checked and the check-in process would be completed. We walked out of the parking structure out to street level and found some CMs directing people across the street to the Fairmont. There were small signs that had PAT arrival times listed on them and we found the line that said 10:30. Please see the map below for reference. The pins show the start and end points of the the walk and the red line is the path we walked from one to the other.

1654222620281.png

This was far and away the most disorganized and un-Disney like part of the trip. The signs were very short and hard to see if people had already started lining up behind them, so be ready to search for yours and then go the back of a line you have already walked past. You line up outside, and we were very lucky that we didn't get rained on. Multiple CMs came by while we were in line to check our arrival forms and make sure we were in the right line. They we running extremely behind for check-in and a huge line of people was ushered inside before any new cruisers could go in. We have no idea who these people were, but we speculated that they were back-to-back cruisers. At about 10:50 AM, they finally started letting in the 10:15 PAT line. Our 10:30 line relocated to where the 10:15 line had been and waited about 10 minutes to be let in ourselves. Once inside, our QR codes were scanned and we waited for a testing booth. The testing booths and test result waiting areas were inside a large convention center ballroom. We were sent to our booth and swabbed ourselves for the test. After handing off our swabs, we exited the back of our booth, found some chairs to wait for results, and then began the nerve-wracking process of constantly refreshing the safe passage website. I know they send you an email when results are ready, but neuroses are hard to overcome, lol. They had placed ArriveCAN instructions on the chairs for anyone who had yet to set that up. There were people constantly walking around the chairs to see if anyone needed assistance. We got our results after about 25 minutes and we were negative! The relief that washed over us both was palpable. I think I actually sank down in my chair after getting them. We left the ballroom and some CMs checked our QR codes once more to make sure we weren't leaving prematurely and gave us some wristbands to wear. These were to indicate that we had passed our tests and were clear to sail. We left the Fairmont at about 11:30 and they had not yet let in the 11:15 PATs so they must have still been running behind. We practically skipped back across the street and went back to the cruise terminal. There were CMs directing you the whole way to where you needed to go next. We reached the check-in desk where they scanned our QR codes again and checked that we had made our ArriveCAN entry for the cruise (in case your ArriveCAN reservation disappears for some reason from your app as mine had, you can show your email receipt). We went downstairs and went through security, and customs/immigration. All were a breeze and it was time to board the ship!

We boarded, had our names announced, and the cruise had begun! They were directing everyone to Azure to set up the Navigator App. We already knew this process having just got off the Dream two weeks before, so we didn't stick around. Instead, we headed back to Tiana's Place for lunch. We are not a fan of the craziness of the embarkation buffet, so we always opt for the table service. We were so happy to start in this restaurant, which was adorable. My wife got the potato leak soup, penne pasta, and cookies and cream cheesecake. I got an empanada, chicken caesar salad, and carrot cake. I will apologize now regarding food pictures for the rest of the cruise. As usual, my wife was much better at ensuring the phones ate first as we liked to say, so several of my dishes will be mentioned but not pictured.

1654224179717.png 1654224190115.png 1654224204418.png 1654224221172.png

1654224243975.png 1654224259232.png

Picture limit reached, will continue in the next post.

Last edited:

Day 3 (5/16/22): Cruise Day 1 Continued

We finished up lunch at about 1:15 and went to Animator's Palate to scan our muster station picture and complete our muster drill (this beats the snot out of the old process). We decided to pop up to deck 6 to see if our cabin was ready yet. The entrances to the hallways were roped off still, so no-go. We went back down to the atrium area on deck 5 to watch Pluto welcome more guests on board. Snow White even showed up to help! At about 1:45 we hopped back up to deck 6 and found the hallways open. We navigated back to cabin 6142 which would be our home for the next week. We hung out on the Verandah for a little bit and then unpacked our luggage which arrived not long after we got to the cabin. Around 4:00 we decided to wander a bit before sail-a-wave at 4:30. As we were leaving we ran into our stateroom host Wisnu who was also fantastic throughout the cruise. They were doing open houses at the kids clubs so we decided to check them out. They were adorable of course. We went up to deck 10 to watch the sail-a-wave party at 4:30. After the party was done, we staked out a table at the back of deck 10 to watch as we sailed away. The sail away was fantastic. The scenery was so different from what we're used to, and it was great to sail under the bridge. My degree is in Civil Engineering, so I won't ever pass on an opportunity to ogle a suspension bridge.

1654225636904.png 1654225662488.png 1654225689197.png

After we had our fill of sail away, we went back to our cabin to hang for a bit before dinner. Jetlag was coming for us again so we wanted to take it easy before dinner at 8:15. We ended up watching the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie and headed up for our first dinner at Animator's Palate. This is our favorite restaurant out of all the rotational restaurants. We frequently complain at home that no one is bringing us pasta purseittes. We met our service team for the week: waiter Andrew from South Africa, assistant waiter Arnold from the Philippines, and Kaydrian from Jamaica. Without exaggerating, I can tell you that this was the best service team we have ever had out of all of our 5 cruises. Seriously, ask for them if you can. They took such good care of us and made us feel special every night we dined with them. We both had the purseittes as appetizers. I also got the serrano ham with olive tapenade. My wife got the pumpkin stroganoff for her entrée which she really enjoyed, and I got the tenderloin. Our desserts were a berry crumble and sticky date pudding. All the food was great. I will say that this was the best food we've had on a Disney cruise also. There were only 1200 people on board and I feel like the kitchen was able to quality control much better because of it.

1654226509962.png 1654226526728.png 1654226357159.png 1654226370397.png

1654226393437.png 1654226412256.png

We were too bushed for any after dinner events so we retired back to the cabin. Disney knew it was our honeymoon so we found this towel arrangement waiting for us.

1654226777335.png

It was the perfect way to end the night, and we both were asleep around 10:30.

Last edited:
Following! Thanks for the points and booking info. I’m always looking for deals and need to up my points game.
Thanks for joining! I love the points game. It's like a great puzzle where the prize for finishing it is travel.

Goodness that Covid testing process does sound like it makes boarding stressful! I remember in 2019 it was just really crowded, we were concierge but even that separate area was jam-packed.

Thanks for the detailed embarkation info!!

We are booked in room 6144 in August!! Looking forward to hearing how you liked that spot!

We leave for Vancouver tomorrow. Boarding Monday. As of right now my family of 5 adults all negative but the feeling when we have good results Monday…. I can only hope. So if we are at the Delta and walking over we should drop off luggage at terminal then go to Fairmont to find correct line?

Can we get luggage back? I don’t even like to plan for that option. Did you see it happening because it would make me so sad for people.

Goodness that Covid testing process does sound like it makes boarding stressful! I remember in 2019 it was just really crowded, we were concierge but even that separate area was jam-packed.
It was definitely stressful, but not unmanageable. I hope that this process gets refined for future cruisers and I'm actually looking forward to potential trip reports from others to see if they addressed the issues with the process.

We leave for Vancouver tomorrow. Boarding Monday. As of right now my family of 5 adults all negative but the feeling when we have good results Monday…. I can only hope. So if we are at the Delta and walking over we should drop off luggage at terminal then go to Fairmont to find correct line?

Can we get luggage back? I don’t even like to plan for that option. Did you see it happening because it would make me so sad for people.
We did not actually have to drop our luggage at the terminal as the hotel handled that for us, but I would imagine that you would have to drop off your luggage at the terminal first and then go back across the street to the Fairmont. I did not see anybody lugging around checked luggage at the Fairmont.

We did not see anybody get denied boarding due to a positive covid test, but the odds would indicate it did happen to at least a few parties. They will have to get you your luggage back but it would probably take a considerable amount of time considering it will all be on the ship and have to be retrieved. My best advice is to not consider that option unless you have to. The day is going to be stressful enough just because of testing and navigating the embarkation process, so try not to let this distract you from what should be a wonderful day.

I am so happy to see your report as we sail on the 13th! Thank you for taking the time write it!

We ended up booking a panoramic harbor view room and the view did not disappoint.
We have this same room booked pre and post-cruise, although I am contemplating something else for post-cruise. My husband says I need to not worry about it after waiting so long to take this trip, but I am frugal at heart despite my love of DCL! ;)
We met our service team for the week: waiter Andrew from South Africa, assistant waiter Arnold from the Philippines, and Kaydrian from Jamaica. Without exaggerating, I can tell you that this was the best service team we have ever had out of all of our 5 cruises. Seriously, ask for them if you can.
Yours is the first recommendation I've seen for a serving team. We're probably too late to request, but I'm tempted!

Can't wait to hear more!

This was far and away the most disorganized and un-Disney like part of the trip. The signs were very short and hard to see if people had already started lining up behind them, so be ready to search for yours and then go the back of a line you have already walked past. You line up outside, and we were very lucky that we didn't get rained on. Multiple CMs came by while we were in line to check our arrival forms and make sure we were in the right line. They we running extremely behind for check-in and a huge line of people was ushered inside before any new cruisers could go in. We have no idea who these people were, but we speculated that they were back-to-back cruisers.
Oh, hi! From one of the B2B cruisers. Yes, pretty sure that was us. There were 78 people doing B2B, and we waited in Azure quite some time before they even led us outside. There would have been mutiny if they had put our group behind all the other people! It was very crazy, and hopefully, getting better for future cruises out of Vancouver.
Following along, and if my work doesn't crush me (after being away for nearly 3 weeks), will write a report about our experiences from Hawaii to Vancouver, and the Alaska cruise. :)
Happy Honeymoon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter