$190 housekeeping charge

Wow I am glad I did not know that pillow was $190 before our cruise or I would have had a heart attack when my 2 year old took it on the Verandah! She said it wanted to see the view. (She has quite the imagination). Luckily it did not go overboard. =)

Just want to let everyone know that DCL has removed the $190 from my sister's bill. There is no joy in writing that... just relief. We have felt awful about the whole situation.

Thanks everyone for the comments and thoughts. I read them all and they were all taken to heart. I am not perfect, something was over looked that could have cost us. There is one more thing added to the list of things to check before we leave the cabin.

As a Disney fan for 40 years I am just feeling sad. I feel like I just had a fight with my best friend. I hope my trip in June brings back the magic.

Thanks again all!

Glad it was resolved and sorry you had to go through the hassle, both with Disney and people here.

Such an interesting thread...

I agree that it would be very helpful for DCL to have an inventory list in the room, but really, is that necessary? No inventory list needed as I know that the throw pillows, artwork, furniture and electronics don't belong to me, and so for the week my family and I are there, we take very good care of these items, and we sure as heck make sure they are all there when we leave the room.

I think an inventory list would be helpful. We were in our cabin for a few hours on our latest cruise when I noticed that there was only one wave phone on the desk. I immediately called Guest Services to report it and they in turn said they would notify our cabin hostess. The cabin hostess brought us a 2nd phone and stated it was a good thing to report that, otherwise we might have been charged $250 for it missing at the end of our cruise - and we don't even use the wave phones.

Do all new cruisers know there should be two wave phones, a laundry bag in the closet, etc.? And if there isn't, they will be charged for something they didn't know was supposed to be there to begin with?

(I know the cabin hosts should be checking these items after every cruise, but I doubt that happens 100% of the time.)

Why on earth does that pillow cost $190?? I mean, it's nice and all, but it surely isn't worth $190!

I'm learning a lot reading this board and preparing for our first Disney Cruise! The second we get into our cabin I'm going to lecture my family about guarding the safety of this pillow that is presumably stuffed with diamonds, then will hide it in a closet so that no one can spill anything on it, throw it off the balcony, accidentally stuff it in a suitcase, or kick it under a bed. When we leave I will take it carefully from its hiding place and tuck it securely under a bed pillow so it cannot blow away or walk off by itself.

I'm also disappointed to find out that cabins aren't cleaned as meticulously as one would expect on something owned by Disney. Especially in between cruises. I will not be pre-paying gratuities and adjust the housekeeping gratuity according to how clean we find our room when we walk in. ::yes::

Such an interesting thread...

OP saw an item that belonged to someone else, but didn't return it back to the appropriate place (which would have taken seconds to do so), and now has been charged for said item.

It just seems that when it's someone else's money, people aren't careful, but when it's their own money, watch out!

Only so many options, as have already been discussed, as to where the pillow is. At this time though, DCL is looking for replacement value of the pillow, so it is up to OP to work that out with them.

I agree that it would be very helpful for DCL to have an inventory list in the room, but really, is that necessary? I am renting a room for a week, so everything that I find in the room when I check in, except consumables such as: tissue, soap, lotion and brochures, should be in the room when I check out. No inventory list needed as I know that the throw pillows, artwork, furniture and electronics don't belong to me, and so for the week my family and I are there, we take very good care of these items, and we sure as heck make sure they are all there when we leave the room.

Hope OP gets this straightened out, Tiger

Motel 6 posts a list of all items that will be charged for if missing. I think Disney would be able to do the same. $20.00 for a motel 6 pillow and 5.00 for a washcloth!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I'm learning a lot reading this board and preparing for our first Disney Cruise! The second we get into our cabin I'm going to lecture my family about guarding the safety of this pillow that is presumably stuffed with diamonds, then will hide it in a closet so that no one can spill anything on it, throw it off the balcony, accidentally stuff it in a suitcase, or kick it under a bed. When we leave I will take it carefully from its hiding place and tuck it securely under a bed pillow so it cannot blow away or walk off by itself.

I'm also disappointed to find out that cabins aren't cleaned as meticulously as one would expect on something owned by Disney. Especially in between cruises. I will not be pre-paying gratuities and adjust the housekeeping gratuity according to how clean we find our room when we walk in. ::yes::

:rotfl2:
:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Me thinks themissue with the pillow is that it is stitched in solid gold, spun from hay by Rumplestiltskin!!

:cool1:

If I had not read it on here, I would not have thought to check for the laundry bag. Although it was there when we got there, it was not returned to me any of the three times I sent laundry out. Each time I had to call and request to get it back.

Why on earth does that pillow cost $190?? I mean, it's nice and all, but it surely isn't worth $190!

The detailed embroidery adds to the cost, as well as the fact that it is an item exclusive to DCL. They charge it because they can...sort of like the cruise fares. ;)

When I was on the Fantasy in October I specifically remember a note on the desk about being charged for a laundry bag if I chose to bring it home although I don't remember anything on the pillow. On the classic ships, there was always a note in the cabin saying you would be charged for those propeller clocks.

Jill in CO

I've learned, as well, that housekeeping doesn't always do such a phenomenal job. Beware!!! Luckily we weren't directly affected, just ridiculously surprised, when halfway through our cruise my mom found a wallet, complete with ID, credit cards, and cash hangin' out in our room. God knows how long it was there for - found in the empty open safe. Luckily we're honest people :) but lesson learned!

I think DCL should follow Celebrity in regards to this... On the last night of a cruise on Celebrity while the guest are at dinner, the stateroom attendant does an inventory & removes any items not for you to take home ( binoculars, flower vase, decorate pillows, throw on bed, etc) If anything is missing, lets say the binoculars, they leave not saying these have been miss placed. This happened to us in 2010, no big deal our 8 year old still had them in her beach bag. We have them to the the attendant.. No big deal & no $100 charge on our card.

Just a suggestion.

I've learned, as well, that housekeeping doesn't always do such a phenomenal job. Beware!!! Luckily we weren't directly affected, just ridiculously surprised, when halfway through our cruise my mom found a wallet, complete with ID, credit cards, and cash hangin' out in our room. God knows how long it was there for - found in the empty open safe. Luckily we're honest people :) but lesson learned!

Maybe it was the same person that left us a six pack in the fridge... :lmao:

Makes me wonder why someone would pay thousands of dollars for a cruise and steal something from someone elses room. :confused3

But they do. Why would someone pay hundreds a night at a nice hotel and steal the poolside towels? Because they can. And the more people spend the more some of them feel entitled to "freebies" if they can get away with it.

What would DCL do if there wasn't a CC on file to charge anything potentially missing or damaged to?

What would DCL do if there wasn't a CC on file to charge anything potentially missing or damaged to?

Is that even possible? I thought that you have to have a credit card on file.
I could be remembering that wrong, but I thought it's required.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter