16 yr old son has mono, leaving in 4 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dopey420

DIS Veteran
Title says it all. Doctor has said no school for 2 weeks. The way he feels now there is no way he could go. Anyone have experience with mono? Doctor says a month until he feels well. I would be willing to get him a scooter and a GAC.

Title says it all. Doctor has said no school for 2 weeks. The way he feels now there is no way he could go. Anyone have experience with mono? Doctor says a month until he feels well. I would be willing to get him a scooter and a GAC.

I am pretty sure you have to be 18 for an ECV. What would you need the GAC to do for him?

I am pretty sure you have to be 18 for an ECV. What would you need the GAC to do for him?

To let him sit while waiting. Mono absolutely exhausts you. Maybe we go wheelchair then. Hopefully he has recovered by then

The trip can't be cancelled. We are going with 3 families. I'm looking for advice from someone who has had a kid with mono.

It all depends on how "bad" he has mono. I acquired mono after my freshman year in college. I couldn't work my summer job for 4 weeks and when I did go back I couldn't last more than 2 hours at a time for the next 2 weeks. Slowly, I was able to get my energy/stamina back.

Now I have a friend who had mono and felt bad for about 2 weeks. He bounced back right away.

Keeping my fingers crossed that you ds feels better soon.

Go ahead and get a GAC just to be on the safe side.

To let him sit while waiting. Mono absolutely exhausts you. Maybe we go wheelchair then. Hopefully he has recovered by then

The trip can't be cancelled. We are going with 3 families. I'm looking for advice from someone who has had a kid with mono.

A GAC is not going to give him a place to sit while he waits. To have a seat you will need to rent a wheelchair for him. Most lines are wide enough for a wheelchair so he would be able to sit until the ride.:thumbsup2

DD had mono once. She was sick for WEEKS and could barely sit up. We had to do a "homebound" thing with the high school and even then she had to drop a few classes. Then again, one of her friends had it and perked up after only a couple weeks. So it might really vary based on the individual. I think it's important to keep them super quiet and rested for the first few weeks. I know DD was bored, but we stuck to TV/DVDs, books, and her computer. I wouldn't let her have a lot of friends over even once the doctor said she wasn't contagious. I would stock up on netflix, video games, or whatever else will convince him to stay in bed.

Mary

Recovery is extremely variable, as the other posters mentioned.
Here's a link to some general information about mono:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001617/

I was a school nurse for a time and saw a number of teens with mono. Some were on limited school for many weeks and some were at school, but came to lie down for a rest every day. Other teens were back to normal much faster.
I don't know any way to figure out which will recover quickly and which will take longer.

If his spleen is enlarged, there is also concern about rupture of the spleen, which can be very serious. So, he may not be able to ride anything except the very gentle rides. You will need to talk with his doctor to determine whether he can go or not and what kind of restrictions he might have.

Even sitting in a wheelchair may be more exertion than he will be able to do.
There is one company (Randys) that sometimes rents ECVs to older teens on a case by case basis, especially if they have been driving a car for a while.
BUT, even though someone using an ECV is not walking, it is quite tiring to use one. The driver has to be alert all the time because people dart out in front of ECVs all the time. And, if he gets tired and can't drive, no one can drive it for him while he sits. So, I would stay with a wheelchair.

A wheelchair can be brought into all attractions to the point of boarding (except Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse and Tomorrowland Transit Authority, which guests need to be ambulatory to experience). As was already pointed out, a Guest Assistance Card will not provide a place to sit and it will not shorten the distance walked in most cases.
There is more information about renting wheelchairs in post 2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top if this board, or you can follow the link in my signature.

If he's tired and needs to lie down without leaving the park, there is a First Aid in each park with cots in individual rooms or cubicles. Some people in the past have reported being too tired to ride the bus back to their resort without taking a rest in First Aid before leaving.

If you do go, it may be a more 'laid back', lie by the pool type vacation, so I would go with that possibility in mind.

I managed to get mono when I was 37. I needed 31 consecutive days of sick leave before my doctor would let me go back to my office job. That was almost seven weeks (because of some holidays).

If you are going to get an ECV for him, check with Randy's. They will rent to an older (but under 18) teen under some circumstances, although they will make sure he is able to handle it before they release it to him. Check Post #2 of the FAQs sticky for contact information (and you can use the link in my signature to get to the FAQs).

I had mono the first time as a teen. The first time being the key phrase here as the whopping majority of humanity only gets it once but I have a problem where developing immunity to illnesses is problematic. I had it full-blown at least once more and then I was diagnosed with reoccurring Epstein Barr last year.

The problem as both a teen and as an adult was that my spleen was very enlarged and I was not allowed to do any sort of physical activity where I might come into contact or get hit or bumped around. Like SueM said, if your child has that issue as well then I would say that the gentle stuff would be okay but no thrill rides and/or coasters, etc. I also slept around 18 hours a day when I was in the full-on throes of illness, so he may be extra tired and need to finish earlier/get a midday rest, etc.

If he is using a wheelchair, you might want to think about skipping AK all together. The walkways are very uneven with a vine pattern in the cement making for a bumpy ride in a wheelchair. It is a jarring ride. I'm thinking of the stress on his spleen. I don't know about using a scooter.

I hope he ends up being better than expected, but I really think you may need to plan in either to leave him in the room sometimes/some days or to have someone stay with him. A wheelchair will mean someone has to push him (even if the Disney or other rental wheelchairs were easy to self-propel, there's no way he'd have the energy to do so) and sitting up can be very exhausting. As well, Disney does not always have even pavement so things can get bumpy (AK is probably the worse for that, but there are sections in other parks as well).

I'd plan for him to not necessarily make it on many rides (and certainly would suspect he won't be up for any rides that have any sort of warnings), but he can stay in the wheelchair through the lines for rides and shows. The only note I have here is you say you're going with other families so I'm assuming it's a large group. While many lines at WDW are mainstreamed, a few have alternate entrances for wheelchairs and for those you can only have the person in the wheelchair + either 5 or 6 other people (sorry, having a brain fog moment on exact number) go through the alternate entrance. As well, at most shows if he doesn't transfer out of the wheelchair, only 1 or 2 other members of your party are likely to be allowed to sit with him.

Also, look at what he's doing at home/school in the days prior to heading to WDW. If he's back at school, you might want to consider pulling him out a couple days early to rest up. I'd be very concerned that in the first couple weeks after he's allowed back to school, he may be more susceptible to other illnesses that might go around school.

Good luck! A lot of things are variable on how he's feeling in a few weeks and what symptoms are around when you're on your trip.

I would be concerned that he would not be able to enjoy himself. I would speak to WDW and see if you could move the trip. I know you mentioned you were going with other families but if he has an enlarged spleen and can't go on any rides and enjoy himself I would feel bad for him and would feel like I wasted money. As others said, maybe he will be recovered in time. I would keep a close eye on it.

Good luck. Hope he recovers quickly!

i hope he feels better! i was out of work for 5 weeks, and could only stay awake for a few hours at a time. if he's 16, with a cell phone, i would let him sleep, have him meet you when he's up, if he needs to go back and lay down, let him go back to the resort.

i guess i just made the assumption that you're staying on site--and hopefully for convenience sake you are.

it really is a nasty illness and will take a serious toll on him--but the trip will be something he can look forward to.

Thanks for all the replies. Good info. We won't be cancelling. He will either go, ride or not ride, depending on spleen, or stay home with grandparents. All depends on how he does.

This happened to my DD when she was 17 in 2006. She had been complaining of a sore throat a few days before we left, but it wasn't bad enough for a doctor's visit. So, we drove down, as always, and she slept the entire way in the car. Spent the weekend at WL - she slept the whole weekend, but kept insisting she was okay. On Sunday, we were moving to BCV and decided to take her to urgent care because we were sailing on the Magic the following Saturday. The doctor said he wanted to do a quick mono test - while he's out the room, DD says "I KNOW I don't have mono". Sure enough, he comes back in and says positive. She immediately burst into tears because she thought we wouldn't be able to cruise. The doctor said it was fine to still go, as long as she rested when she wanted to, gargled with salt water, etc. He also said every case is different and maybe hers would be "mild". She ended up sleeping probably 18 -20 hours a day from Sunday until Wed. or Thursday. By the time we got to the ship, she was feeling a lot better. We had a great time on the cruise, and when we got back, she started her senior year without incident. (We did go to the doctor at home when we got back and she got the okay.) I know we were really, really lucky - she had a friend who missed more than 1/2 of her sophomore year. Maybe he will have a speedy recovery, too. Wishing you all the best . . .

I know you already have plenty of replies but I thought I would pipe in.

When I was 16 I had mono. I felt a little sick at the beginning, but was well enough to still go to school. Suddenly, it hit me full force (after about 10 days). I missed 2 1/2 months of school, was in the hospital, was on steriods and percocet. It was insane. You need to rest. I don't think he should get a scooter or GAC. Instead, I'd suggest staying in the resort room until he is feeling better. Plus, it is very catchy - you might not want to expose him to the other families.

On a brighter note, a friend had it that same year and missed a few days of school.

So it depends on the person and severity, but I just wanted to share my experience.

I got mono when I was 20 and it hit me hard. I was never a big sleeper but wow --- in the time I had mono (about 1 1/2--2 months) I slept all the time. I mean, I would sleep all day, waking only to use the washroom. I was exhausted. I felt dreadful. There is no way I would have been in any shape to go anywhere. :sick: Sorry. I hope he does better than I did. :)

Both of my teens had it- but very different cases. DS had it July before his senior year. He painted the shed that week, had a bit of a sore throat and only found out because he had a scheduled blood test, which showed very high white blood cells. Then they did a mono test. We left for Cedar Point the following week. He did not act any differently, but was NOT allowed to ride the rides due to injuring his spleen. In fact he was not even allowed to play varsity soccer until October.

DD slept for the first 3 weeks, including in school during lunch. She was completely worn out.

I hope you are able to have a great trip. Make sure you get your doctor's advice for the rides.

OT: One thing that can be explored for school, given so much absence, is a Reduced Course Load. Additional credits needed to graduate could be taken during a summer or a later academic year.

It is best to fast if nauseous, cautiously taking small amounts of food every once in awhile if nausea lasts for days. Plenty of water is okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter