16 yr old son has mono, leaving in 4 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite frankly I would get a new doctor. Yes he will still be contagious. How will you feel if he ruptures his spleen all for WDW trip?

Denise in MI
This is exactly what I was thinking.

Once someone gets mono, the virus stays in that person's body for life. But this doesn't mean that if you've had mono you are always contagious. Over time, the virus becomes less contagious. Eventually, it's very unlikely that a person who had mono will transmit the virus to someone else.

People who have mono can be contagious from the time they first become infected with the virus. But they may not know that they have the virus in its early stages. That's because it takes a while from the time a person is infected to the time symptoms of mono show up — about 4 to 7 weeks in fact. (This is called the incubation period.)

Mono needs to run its course naturally — symptoms may last 2 to 4 weeks — and some people feel tired for several weeks longer. It's important to take care of yourself if you have mono and get lots of rest.

Doctors and researchers aren't exactly sure how long someone with mono stays contagious after symptoms are gone. But it's generally believed that a person can spread the infection for many months after the symptoms are completely gone — some studies show as long as 18 months. But after that, it's very unlikely that a person will give someone else mono.

Reviewed by: Nicole Green, MD

Yup....I posted this earlier as well. My Best friends husband is also an MD and he said that dr was absolutely wrong. A patient who just started showing signs is most defintely still contagious. In addition, their immune system is week and travelling on an airplane and in a hotel could be dangerous. But, since the OP's dr said they can travel I hope he remains well enough to do so and doesn't pass it on to anyone else.

Y'all are ridiculous. This doctor has been practicing for 20+ years and is the best. I would say she knows better than you. When we go to Disney he will be 6 weeks out from the onset of symptoms. To say we should change from a doctor that we have seen since the kids were born?...What can I say but LOL! Talk about arrogance! I bet I could go to 10 other doctors that would say the same thing!

To the poster that said, "How are you going to feel when he ruptures his spleen at WDW?" You are an idiot. The doctor said there was no risk of that.

This thread was answered by a bunch of haters, always trying to post the worst case scenario, always looking for schadenfreude. My wife was completely worried by the replies, which my doctor laughed off as extreme.

Mono is less contagious than the common cold, and can only be transmitted by infected saliva getting into another person's mouth. He will be going with us.

Y'all are ridiculous. This doctor has been practicing for 20+ years and is the best. I would say she knows better than you. When we go to Disney he will be 6 weeks out from the onset of symptoms. To say we should change from a doctor that we have seen since the kids were born?...What can I say but LOL! Talk about arrogance! I bet I could go to 10 other doctors that would say the same thing!

To the poster that said, "How are you going to feel when he ruptures his spleen at WDW?" You are an idiot. The doctor said there was no risk of that.

This thread was answered by a bunch of haters, always trying to post the worst case scenario, always looking for schadenfreude. My wife was completely worried by the replies, which my doctor laughed off as extreme.

Mono is less contagious than the common cold, and can only be transmitted by infected saliva getting into another person's mouth. He will be going with us.

Guess you shouldn't have posted your question to begin with since you think everyone here is an idiot.

I don't believe any one personally attacked you so your comments are quite uncalled for. If you are only interested in hearing from people that agree with you perhaps you shouldn't post. There are always going to be people that agree and don't agree. Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean they are a hater, arrogant, or an idiot. ;)

And here is where this thread ends...

A note to all: There will be absolutely NO name calling on this board! The terms "haters" and "idiots" should never appear. This is a place to come for information and support. We do not all have to agree with each other, but that does not mean we get to call names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter