12 person trip--room config/type advice

Krahnic2336

Earning My Ears
My Disney addict mom passed away earlier this year. I am planning a memorial trip with my whole family for 2022. There will be 12 of us: my 73 yr old dad, 5 middle aged adults, 4 teens (aged 12-14), 3 year old, and a 15m.

I was first considering a 3 bedroom grand villa. But with that age range, I think we need multiple rooms (loud room and quiet room).
Now I'm trying to decide on one of these configurations:
  • 3 studios or
  • 2 2-bedroom suite (loud room and quiet room)
  • 2-bedroom suite and a studio
Does anyone who has planned a large group trip have any advice or insight?

Thanks in advance!!!

Get multiple rooms, as I have seen too many big family trips posted where people drop out as the trip approaches, leaving the owner stuck with a GV for 4-5 people.
I didn't even think about the possibility that one of my siblings might back out. This is a really good point!

I'd do two 2BR, have them labelled as traveling together in hopes of having them somewhat nearby to one another.

Otherwise, do 4 studios at Poly, with two-and-two connected. But only if you don't care about a kitchen.

I like the 2BR and then studios as the remaining "bedrooms". It gives a single place for everyone to gather together in the 2BR and also the rooms to head off to for the naps etc. I'd probably consider a 2BR and 2 studios if that made sense for the group. It also gives flexibility in cancelling rooms if anyone has to back out.

Also, with an option with multiple 2BRs or even one, give your pop one of the King beds to himself. Door closes and he gets the room to himself and best mattress of the lot, and when one is over 70 and a widower, he's EARNED THAT.

A treehouse at Saratoga has a very cool configuration that might work.
Doesn't hold 11, though, and a THV is decently distant from any other unit type at Saratoga, physically. It would hold 9+15 month old, which would mean at least a studio elsewhere at SSR.

I think 2 bedrooms are the way to go. The living room at some units is not very large.

I'm sorry for your loss. My mom was a big WDW fan too.

What is the make-up of your group? I know you said the ages of everyone, but what are the family units?

I'm doing an 11 person trip for Thanksgiving, so in order to all eat together, I've reserved a Grand Villa AND a 2 bedroom unit. that gives everyone a bit of privacy but still room to be together when we want to be. Age range is two 12 year olds, four 40 to 50 year olds, and five in our 60s and 70s.

I'm sorry for your loss. My mom was a big WDW fan too.

What is the make-up of your group? I know you said the ages of everyone, but what are the family units?

Thank you! Disney trips were something that my mom and I did together a lot. Sometimes we would bring nieces/nephews along or some friends.

Unit 1:
My dad

Unit 2:
me

Unit 3:
Brother
Sis-in-law
12 yr old
14 yr old

Unit 4:
Sister
Bro-in-law
12 yr old (will probably want to room with her cousins)
3 yr old
15 m old

This would be a bit easier to plan if DV didn't have that borrowing limit right now. I'm thinking that a combo of a 2bedroom suite and a studio might give us the luxury of a full kitchen and shared space but not break the bank.

Thank you! Disney trips were something that my mom and I did together a lot. Sometimes we would bring nieces/nephews along or some friends.

Unit 1:
My dad

Unit 2:
me

Unit 3:
Brother
Sis-in-law
12 yr old
14 yr old

Unit 4:
Sister
Bro-in-law
12 yr old (will probably want to room with her cousins)
3 yr old
15 m old
Thanks! You should be fine with a 2BR plus 2 studios.

Dad - 2BR King
You - 2nd Bedroom
Brother's family - studio
Sister's family - studio

Pick a resort that sleeps 5 in a studio (with a murphy bed) and the 12-year old will be able to sleep with her cousins.

Edited, you can make do with a 2BR and only 1 studio if you (or your dad) don't mind sleeping in the living room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!