107°F here in a few days

How is a home designed to cool? Insulation works both ways.

Homes designed to cool have features like reflective roof materials, UV shielded, double pane windows that stay cool to the touch even in full sun, and windows placed along the North and South facing walls, with few or none facing east and west. Most homes in regions that are primarily warm/mild temps have these features.

We failed at mitigating climate change. Now, we have to deal with the consequences.
Yeah, that's what I was referring to. Have to mitigate the effects by changing building materials (so roads and runways don't melt), incorporating things like cooling stations, better runoff management to mitigate the effects of increased flooding, better preparedness for wildfires, helping farmers mitigate crop losses from the weather extremes, etc.

Yeah, that's what I was referring to. Have to mitigate the effects by changing building materials (so roads and runways don't melt), incorporating things like cooling stations, better runoff management to mitigate the effects of increased flooding, better preparedness for wildfires, helping farmers mitigate crop losses from the weather extremes, etc.
Not going to happen. If we can't get together to stop warming the planet, then we're not going to get together to help out our communities. We couldn't even stay on the same page throughout the pandemic. We're basically screwed.

Not going to happen. If we can't get together to stop warming the planet, then we're not going to get together to help out our communities. We couldn't even stay on the same page throughout the pandemic. We're basically screwed.

100% agree. It's really about doing what we can individually to try and make a little change so we can sleep at night. We don't have the "stuff" to do what really needs to be done here....in the wealthiest nation in the world, and so I don't expect emerging countries to behave any better than us.

100% agree. It's really about doing what we can individually to try and make a little change so we can sleep at night. We don't have the "stuff" to do what really needs to be done here....in the wealthiest nation in the world, and so I don't expect emerging countries to behave any better than us.
You're in Luxembourg or Monaco? ;-)

Homes designed to cool have features like reflective roof materials, UV shielded, double pane windows that stay cool to the touch even in full sun, and windows placed along the North and South facing walls, with few or none facing east and west. Most homes in regions that are primarily warm/mild temps have these features.
No not at all. Not every house can face north south. Mine faces east west just like millions of other houses in hot climates.

Well your getting your wish now. Along with an energy crisis, high heating costs and food shortages all in the name of what you believe to be global warming. So enjoy.

Where did I say all?
You said windows in houses in hot climates face along north and south walls and few face east and west that’s simply not factual. Houses aren’t designed that way.

I agree with you that concerted large scale efforts likely aren't going to happen, but at a community level, it's going to happen either way. Either proactively make infrastructure more resilient to the changing climate, or repair them reactively when they fail. I mean I guess the only other option is to abandon certain areas, as some Pacific Island nations are already in process of doing.

I agree with you that concerted large scale efforts likely aren't going to happen, but at a community level, it's going to happen either way. Either proactively make infrastructure more resilient to the changing climate, or repair them reactively when they fail. I mean I guess the only other option is to abandon certain areas, as some Pacific Island nations are already in process of doing.
In order to have those things, people are going to have to pay. And we're really not a country that loves paying taxes even if it's to our benefit. We also don't like to regulate things to make our lives better. Your best bet is to leave the planet with Elon.

You said windows in houses in hot climates face along north and south walls and few face east and west that’s simply not factual. Houses aren’t designed that way.
Many newer housing tracts are built so that all homes are arranged in the same orientation. This is how my neighborhood is as well as many new build homes in my city. All the homes are designated as energy efficient. It was just mentioned as ONE example of how houses can be built specifically with heat in mind.

Many newer housing tracts are built so that all homes are arranged in the same orientation. This is how my neighborhood is as well as many new build homes in my city. All the homes are designated as energy efficient. It was just mentioned as ONE example of how houses can be built specifically with heat in mind.
Not in this state. The buyer chooses a house that faces the direction they want it too face. A lot of cities don’t even have new builds. I suppose if we wanted to tear everything down and start over we could make all the houses energy efficient.

In order to have those things, people are going to have to pay. And we're really not a country that loves paying taxes even if it's to our benefit. We also don't like to regulate things to make our lives better. Your best bet is to leave the planet with Elon.
I mean we're kind of already paying. Taxes already go for natural disaster relief, which has increased a tremendous amount over the past few decades (adjusted for inflation). Insurers are already charging us more in order to cover their increasing losses. Utilities are already increasing rates to cover the increasing amounts of repairs they're having to make on their systems.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter