107°F here in a few days

Supposed to be 105 here tomorrow. But 100 degrees is the norm here in the summer. But I was in London in 1976 during the "great" heat wave which had 16 consecutive days between 86 and 90 degrees (only) and man I have never seen a city so unprepared. Stayed at the Hilton, a FIVE STAR hotel, no a/c and no pool. LOL. Even Motel 6 here has ac and pools, although in some cold weather climates the pool is indoors.

Weather forecast call for two days of hot weather in London. I'm trying to find some empathy, but seriously that's nothing.

A few years ago I lived in Germany and there was a heatwave as well. At one point, the feel temperature went up to 115. With my apartment having zero AC, it was pretty miserable so I definitely emphasize with you.

If you are home during the heat wave, try taking a cool shower in the middle of the day to get refreshed. When our weather changed and it became more humid along with the heat, I would fill the tub with cool water and take a dunk, especially if I was doing housework and it was miserably hot. That quick dip did a lot to feel a bit refreshed. Drink plenty of water, too. Sorry to hear you're going through this heat, and good luck.

Scary stuff - we're not prepared for this!
My first trip to the UK was during an unusual heat wave in November. Being used to Florida, and the ubiquitous A/C, it was obvious that heat waves are not the norm there. As someone who deals with heat almost year round, I second the suggestion for plenty of cool showers/baths, and I recommend having plenty of ice on hand. You will want to stay hydrated, and a cold glass of water will feel good. Sleeping on the floor can also help, since hot air rises, and if you have a basement or cellar, those are generally cooler as well. Eat food that doesn’t require cooking, such as salads, sandwiches, etc. If there are any public buildings nearby that do have A/C, spending an hour or two there in the late afternoon will help. Keep an eye out for your neighbors, especially the elderly. If you must go outside, use an umbrella to shade yourself.

Our temps are supposed to be in the mid nineties, so not too far off of yours, but the preparation is totally different. I hope you get a break from the heat soon! 🥵

We haven't hit 100 yet (we always do) here outside Philadelphia, but we haven't had rain in a seriously long time. I'm hoping it rains this week!

I was in the UK in July of 2006 during a 100+ degree period. Trains stopped running because the tracks had expanded in the heat. On one of the excursions from the cruise the driver was talking about how wastefully large engines were in America. How much better it was to have the small perfectly sized engines used in the UK.

Sadly for the driver the smaller engine really struggled in the heat. It struggled so much that at one point he made us get out and walk up a hill because the mini bus didn’t have the power to go up the hill 3/4 full on a 100+ degree day.

On another trip in July 2015 we were in Europe during another 100+ degree period. I remember being so hot as the AC in hotels and buildings didn’t work all that well at that temperature. The hot spell broke the day we arrived in Belgium. Stepping off the plane felt so good. It was 40+ degrees cooler than the day before. The friends we were staying with did not have AC. It would have been so miserable.

Good luck.

I was in the UK in July of 2006 during a 100+ degree period. Trains stopped running because the tracks had expanded in the heat. On one of the excursions from the cruise the driver was talking about how wastefully large engines were in America. How much better it was to have the small perfectly sized engines used in the UK.

Sadly for the driver the smaller engine really struggled in the heat. It struggled so much that at one point he made us get out and walk up a hill because the mini bus didn’t have the power to go up the hill 3/4 full on a 100+ degree day.

On another trip in July 2015 we were in Europe during another 100+ degree period. I remember being so hot as the AC in hotels and buildings didn’t work all that well at that temperature. The hot spell broke the day we arrived in Belgium. Stepping off the plane felt so good. It was 40+ degrees cooler than the day before. The friends we were staying with did not have AC. It would have been so miserable.

Good luck.
That’s a funny story. The energy problem is so bad I read their going to shut off the street lights in France. It’s only going to get worse.

I've been praying for your country, and will continue.
I cannot imagine temps like that for any extended period of time,
with very little a/c throughout your homes!
It's one thing to have a day here & there, year to year,
but to have such high temps for many days... YIKES!

I know in our area people without relief are encouraged
to go to public centers where there is a/c.
Does Britain have places like that for citizens to find relief?

If you have an electric fan of any sort, you can rig together a poor-man's swamp cooler by putting a big container of ice & water in front of the fan, turn fan on...as the air passes over the cold water, it cools the air. Helps as well if you get your hair wet. And you can use wash cloths, towels, etc. as cooling towels, too. If need be, get them wet and put them in the fridge...then when chilly, put 1 around your neck. Sit in front of the fan.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Drink lots and lots of water. And alternate sometimes with some sort of electrolyte product like Gatorade.

If you live in a multi-storied home, then spend all of your time on the bottom floor. Even sleep there if you have to.

Its been over 100 for a while now in Texas and will be so for some time going forward. However we are equipped for this as miserable as it is.

At least it will pass quickly for you! I second cool bath or shower and plenty to drink to stay well hydrated.

I woke at 6 am to take the dogs for a run before it becomes too hot for them. Our houses are built to keep heat in and it is very unusual to have air conditioning. I had COVID last week, and although recovered, I am still feeling tired, so I am quite enjoying an excuse to be lazy and lounge around.

I've been praying for your country, and will continue.
I cannot imagine temps like that for any extended period of time,
with very little a/c throughout your homes!
It's one thing to have a day here & there, year to year,
but to have such high temps for many days... YIKES!

I know in our area people without relief are encouraged
to go to public centers where there is a/c.
Does Britain have places like that for citizens to find relief?
It's not an extended period. It's two days of 100 and then it drops back into the 70's. It always cools down to the 60's at night. This is hardly a calamity. When winter comes and people can't afford to heat their homes....now that will be a tragedy.

It's not an extended period. It's two days of 100 and then it drops back into the 70's. It always cools down to the 60's at night. This is hardly a calamity. When winter comes and people can't afford to heat their homes....now that will be a tragedy.
I am graciously accepting advice and sympathy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter