“Rise” to the Challenge, FREAK!! Done and new trip report started 5/2/21

That looks interesting! it's literally a cupcake with ice cream?
It was so good, try one next time. The captain crunch ice cream was really good. The cupcakes sits on top of the ice cream. The cupcake was very moist and delicious 😋
Ugh so gross. Can't believe all the issues you guys had with OKQ. But at least they were nice and threw in some extra stuff!
It was gross, something about hair and toenails in a supposedly clean hotel room is just yucky. Our next 4 nights there were really just fine and we kept saying the place is growing on us until another problem arose!

The first and most important rule of 4 wheel drive... If you wait until you need 4 wheel drive to engage it, it is too late.
So true! My husband thinks he is such a good driver he doesn’t need the 4 wheel drive! :sad2:
Love that feeling when you get there after leaving the winter in the Midwest.
It is so wonderful!
Dang, sorry the room wasn't a better location and set up for you.
I was surprised how far the ice machine was, that was odd to me. The location actually grew on us until the last few nights, more on that later.
Blech... I'd certainly be disappointed in anything like that from Disney, but I'm glad the manager at least stepped up and did what he could to try to make it right.
I know! I told the manager how much we love Disney and have been here often and this was not up to Disney standards at all!
think I've heard enough of why it would have been one and done... sorry it didn't get any better.
Just wait, lol!

Hi, joining in. :wave:

I love that you are able to take so many mother/daughter trips. Such wonderful memories you are making.

So sorry about the room. Not the kind of start you want for vacation but the credit was a nice surprise.
Yay! Welcome and thanks for joining in! Andi and I have so many wonderful memories of all our Disney trips. I get quite emotional thinking about it. I am super close to my son Jack and I wish he liked Disney more because the memories of traveling together are so precious.
I was shocked by the resort credit, I didn’t expect that. I really wanted to move or just get a thorough cleaning before we settled in!

That was quiet the gamble with it being einter and all! Glad it worked out for you.
It was quite the gamble and the closer it came to the travel day the more I worried 😟
Yikes! That is gross! Glad they quickly made up for it at least.
It was gross and we just felt icky with that in there. I do normally wipe down everything but knowing the hair and nails were there just yuck!

I'm here! So jealous of your 10 night trip! I can't wait to hear all about it!
It was so nice to stay longer and just go with the flow and not jam a ton of things in!
What a lovely DS afternoon! I feel like Tim Tracker or some other vlogger has commented how the crepe place keeps weird hours!
It really was a nice afternoon. We were surprised that the cookie dough truck, crepe stand and other food trucks were all closed.

Ugh hate when the rooms are no where near what you request! And how awful that it was so dirty
I really just like a clean, quiet room, with ice close by, haha!
My mom is the same about ice
I was shocked when I called the front desk to ask about the ice machine and was told it was by the quiet pool, just so weird and a long walk to get a bucket of ice. I tried to keep some in the freezer in the small fridge but it just became a big lump of ice 🧊
OKW is one of the last resorts on my list to stay at and from the state of the rooms I think I'll wait until they refurb them!
I’m sorry to say I won’t be going back anytime soon. The cost for 6 nights was amazing. I rented from a DVC member here on the Dis and it went fine and the price was comparable to a value stay, so that was a definite plus!

Funny we were supposed to get snow on the day we left too! Luckily it waited until the next day
It is always a gamble this time of year for us, glad it was a good travel day for you!
Yes it was! For a couple days at least lol
Tues-Sunday were very nice summer like weather and it was so enjoyable! I blame you guys for bringing the cold weather, haha 😂
As for the bus stops this is something I can't stand at the big resorts!! I prefer resorts with 1 stop! Regardless the toenails and hair which you hadn't mentioned while we were together down there is GROSS and I'm glad they comped you even though you didn't
I timed it the first night and it literally took almost 30 minutes to get dropped off once we entered the resort area. One thing I did notice is the buses were not real crowded, we always could sit. I think many who stay there bring a vehicle along. This is a resort a vehicle is a plus!
I didn’t want to gross you all out at The Hanger bar. :hyper:

do plan on writing a TR! I just finished one from our short September trip and I will link the new one there
Yay! I will watch for it and join in. It is always fun reading about other’s trips when they are at the same time as yours!
Ughh all that snow sounds awful! Luckily we haven’t had much here (knock on wood) but February is usually the bad month. Glad it didn’t mess up your travel day though!
It has been a rough one! February and March are our snowy months, yuck! I hope we get a break. It actually has been really nice since I got home. 30-40 degrees this is unheard of for us at this time of year!
I hate those messages from Disney saying your room isn’t ready yet. It makes you all excited when you see the text and then they disappoint you.
I know, I really should have went to talk to them before the room ready text, maybe we could have been in a different location. I usually don’t like to complain, however, the more visits we make the more I just want a clean, quiet room in a decent location. Not asking for much!
The million bus stops at other resorts makes me really appreciate French Quarter’s one stop.
I agree! FQ is awesome for that!
Ewwww toenails and hair?!?:crazy2: That’s disgusting! I’m glad they got it taken care of, though!
It was just gross, yuck!
Looking forward to reading more about your trip.
Welcome! Thanks for joining in!

My favourite weather too!
It was so awesome to see the sun and have the warmth hitting us!
Yum! Blaze pizza opened near Toronto last spring and I finally tried it a few weeks ago. I love their pizza! And sharing one is a great choice.....then you have room for dessert.
This place is so good 😊 I wish we had one around here. There is one in Minneapolis
Blech to the disgusting condition of the kitchen and bathroom. Kudos to the resort manager for stepping up to the plate and making things right.
He was so personable and really made it right. He didn’t make me feel like I was being petty or complaining about nothing!
Sorry to hear that it was a less than magical experience. :(
I know, the older I get, cleanliness, quietness, and a place that make me feel comfortable is so important!!

I am not impressed and would much rather break records the other way, like least amount of snow ever on record, that is more my type of record.
I couldn't agree more.

Hello beautiful sun and 83 degree weather, I love you!!
HA! That's exactly how we felt when we landed!!!

I did call and the manager was very helpful and nice. He agreed this was not acceptable. He sent housekeeping back, gave us each 3 anytime FP and a $200.00 resort credit.
Umm, we had a similar issue. After our first full day at Disney, we got back to our room at 430 and it still hadn't been cleaned and Joe and I had to shower and get ready for dinner plans...Needless to say, the manager gave us a $100 credit. Toenail clippings on the floor is totally gag worthy. DISGUSTING Caroline!!!!

Following along! Hopefully I won't get too far behind this time!
I always think the early morning flights are the best at the time of booking, however, when the time arrives, not so much.
Isn't that always the case! I always want to get to WDW, but that morning usually sucks!
We did have to pick up Andi’s suitcase. We noticed in the Duluth airport her OKW tag was already missing. I am so glad we noticed before we checked her bag.
Yeah, that would totally suck!
I should have went to the lobby and asked about our room location but I didn’t. Dumb mistake on my part. A little foreshadowing.......
Uh oh!
After all that, this resort is a one and done for us, you will hear more of why in upcoming posts.
Those descriptions give me the creeps! Definitely doesn't sound like a good option for me for future stays! I know some people love it, but I've never been super into it. At least not without a car.

Hi Caroline! Glad I haven't missed much yet!

Bummer about your gross room at OKW :sad2: We stayed there in 2006 (our first "real" trip to WDW) and I have lovely memories of the place. I'm glad they compensated you somewhat and came to clean but that should have already been done before you guys got there.

Looking forward to reading more about your trip!

Umm, we had a similar issue. After our first full day at Disney, we got back to our room at 430 and it still hadn't been cleaned and Joe and I had to shower and get ready for dinner plans...Needless to say, the manager gave us a $100 credit. Toenail clippings on the floor is totally gag worthy. DISGUSTING Caroline!!!!
Three things are important to me Cleanliness, Quiet, and a decent location. Unfortunately, all three of those things were a miss at OKW.
The manager did step up and the way he addressed it made me feel much better. Sometimes I think the staff just goes through the motions and doesn’t really make you feel comfortable. They make you feel like a complainer. I’m glad you got compensated. I feel so bad that Disney is cutting the Mousekeeping staff. They always seem so rushed now!

Following along! Hopefully I won't get too far behind this time!
:wave2: Welcome Lesley! Always enjoy having you join in!
Isn't that always the case! I always want to get to WDW, but that morning usually sucks!
I agree! We have a later flight in March and wouldn’t you know I have been looking at the flights to see if I can change to an earlier one:hyper: I am a slow learner!
Yeah, that would totally suck!
Yes, we didn’t need a lost suitcase 🧳 to add to our troubles the first day!
Those descriptions give me the creeps! Definitely doesn't sound like a good option for me for future stays! I know some people love it, but I've never been super into it. At least not without a car.
The toenails, hair, and all the air conditioners outside of our balcony just deflated me a little when we arrived! The resort as a whole is very nice. I just think if parks are your main reason being at Disney it isn’t the best and the walls are super thin, no soundproofing at all! I think if you are there to golf and shop and have a car and wear earplugs you maybe fine. I always see good reviews so maybe we just had a miss this stay. I do know the studios are super loud if a family is in the 1 bedroom lock off next to you!

Hi Caroline! Glad I haven't missed much yet!

Bummer about your gross room at OKW :sad2: We stayed there in 2006 (our first "real" trip to WDW) and I have lovely memories of the place. I'm glad they compensated you somewhat and came to clean but that should have already been done before you guys got there.

Looking forward to reading more about your trip!
Hi Kelly! Welcome and thanks for joining in!
I think we just had to many negatives and it just wasn’t for us. We did keep saying after the first day, the place is growing on us, until the last few nights it got really bad again!

So glad the flight connection Gods looked kindly upon you and you had no issues making that 2nd flight.
I’d be a bit bummed by your OKW balcony view and totally grossed out by the dirty room 🤮. Glad the manager tried to make it up to you but it should never have happened. You have me wondering what fresh horrors await you on day 5 ( or is it 6). Hope the resort issues didn’t spoil your enjoyment too much.

Welcome Everyone

View attachment 468690

My name is Caroline and I travel to WDW with my daughter Andi.

We have been going to Disney for over 10 years together on mother/daughter trips. This trip was my 24th trip and Andi’s 22nd. I had been to WDW twice before I had children. The first time I went, MK was the only park open, and the second time MK and Epcot were the only 2 parks open. I absolutely love the Disney bubble and enjoy getting away from the busy hectic real world.

Andi has grown up with Disney trips and her love for the parks continues to grow! Andi is a young adult of 20 and is in her second year of college. She is loving college life and I don’t see her as often as I would like, so our Disney trips are so special!

I work as an RN in the real world and my job definitely helps fund our trips!

My favorite park is AK and my current top 3 favorite attractions are HM, Dinosaur, and TSM. I love Pixar movies and Belle has always been my favorite princess.

Here I am enjoying my time at Festival of Arts at Epcot.

View attachment 468691

Andi’s favorite park is Epcot, even with the current construction. Her current top 3 favorite attractions are CoP, HM, and Dinosaur. She loves Pixar movies and Ariel has always been her favorite princess.

Here she is with Ariel.

View attachment 468692

This trip was 10 wonderful nights in the bubble. Our dates were 1/14-1/24/20. We spent nights at OKW and Gran Destino/CSR.

Please join me on our January adventure. It will be filled with fun, excitement, Dis meets, good food, early mornings, hot days, cold days, new adventures, and some good old fashioned quality time with Andi and I. We also did two hard ticket events and really enjoyed both of these.

Stay tuned for trip prep and travel day. “Is it snowing again?”
View attachment 468693
Yes it is! How did you know???

Joining in! :wave: I'm excited to hear about Gran Destino and the ticked events especially!

The flights sound so stressful! I'm always nervous about flying out of MSP in winter, but the additional flight right beforehand...so glad you were able to get out of MN without any delays!

Blaze is the best, I live near one which is pretty dangerous. My mom always wants to split when we're together and I never oblige, and then both of us only eat half our pizzas. Moms know best I suppose!

That's too bad about OKW, I can't believe how long the bus takes to get around the resort! Glad the manager gave you the credit, definitely a lot better than just an empty apology. It's always good to try new resorts so at least you know you are not missing out!

Looking forward to reading more!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter