°o° °o° °o° 9/11/09 DCL Announcement Discussion Thread °o° °o° °o°

<snip> The only links that are filtered are those for sites or companies that have not complied with the DIS board guidelines. <snip> ]

Ok, I thought you could not post links at all.... thanks.

I just found the one on intercot also - thanks for posting it.

HI LIsa, :wave: count us in as former PCers who are looking to do something more reasonable with our PC friends.

It will be interesting to see what the 21st brings.

Hey V! Yep, it will be interesting to see how it goes. Kaylee and I were talking earlier today that we may be looking for another cruise line to recreate the magic on depending on what happens between the 21st and the 28th. There's no way we're paying a $600pp deposit, that's for sure. So, let's round up our gang and find something more reasonable!!! Send Bubba our warm wishes!!!

... except for the over the top deposit requirements, DCL has now become RCCL. They do the tiered past guest levels, and the tiered category levels.

Plus, have you seen the new cat plans? I did this morning and the old cat 6 is now only 6A and it's only a small section on deck 5,6,7 (aft)) from what I remember.

EXACTLY!!! (and RCCL is a tad cheaper...I know, I know, no Magic and no mouse). I know the cat 9s will now be 9A, 9B and 9C

EXACTLY!!! (and RCCL is a tad cheaper...I know, I know, no Magic and no mouse). I know the cat 9s will now be 9A, 9B and 9C

Actually it looks like the cat 8s are now the cat 9As. What a mess this new system is!!! :scared1:

Actually it looks like the cat 8s are now the cat 9As. What a mess this new system is!!! :scared1:

You're right...and did you see how they're trying to "spin" it...love their marketing people:

Changes Effective 2011: For cruises sailing in 2011, Deluxe Oceanview Staterooms will be reclassified into 4 new categories: 9A, 9B, 9C, 9D. These room categories will be located on Decks 1, 2, 5, 6 and 7. Rooms on Decks 1 and 2 are closest to the restaurants and nightclubs. Deck 7 is an upper deck with more expansive views.

I would assume the cat 8 will now be a 9A and the old cat 9 will now be 9B, C and D?!?!? Like you said, what a mess...so confusing!

Here is a small image until we get the clear one up. :)

2011DeckPlan.jpg

I don't really think its that big of a deal. Actually, I think it might be better. We like category 9, and now we have more choices. I think the new categories make a lot of sense. Those folks who choose to stay in a cat 9 on the first flloor (with the smaller portholes) shouldn't have to pay as much as someone with a larger porthole. I DO however think that people need to see these plans BEFORE calling to book. Think of all the wasted time on the phone as reps try to explain the configurations. Now THAT will be a mess!

Jodie

Wouldn't it mean that if a cat 8 has been "dropped" to a cat 9 that the price should drop too? ;) I know...just dreaming. LOL!

Wouldn't it mean that if a cat 8 has been "dropped" to a cat 9 that the price should drop too? ;) I know...just dreaming. LOL!

:rotfl2: Good one Lisa...yes my friend you are certainly dreaming.

Jodie-I think, in the end DCL just found a way to make more money on Cat 9s (well, all the categories really). My sneaky suspicion is that the old deck 1 cat 9s will be priced where all the cat 9s used to be priced and the deck 2 and higher old cat 9s will be priced at a higher price. Like it's been said before, tiered pricing, just like RCCL. Guess they're keeping up with industry standards.

Hmmm. Interesting. All the aft verandahs on decks 5, 6, and 7 that have the solid wall railings have been reclassified to 6A. The remaining verandahs on those 3 decks are now either 5A, 5B, or 5C (except for the Navigators which are 7A). Scary, but after looking at the new deck plans, the new classes seem more fair to me. Not so sure if I'm going to say the same thing about the new prices, though.

I'm going from memory here....

Cat 11 was A, B and C

Deck 1 had 10C for inside
Deck 2 had 11C and 10B and maybe 10C also
Deck 5 had 11B
Deck 6 had 11B and 11C

I do not remember seeing any 12's at all.

There will be no cat. 12's starting in 2011, they will become cat. 11C.

Welcome to our world- it's costing DH and me $1100 to fly to Orlando in Feb for our 4 day Wonder cruise. airfare for us from CA to FL is always high :(

I'm excited now we'll have the chance to not pay an arm and a leg to fly to just GET to a Disney Cruise ship, much less then adding the cruise fare to our expense. Though cruising to Mexico doesn't sound all that appealing to me, but I know I can get flights to Seattle a lot cheaper than I can to MCO

We live about an hour south of Portland, Oregon...so 5-6 hours plus a ferry ride to Victoria and we're on the Wonder :cool1:

We just got back from DCL 7-night Western - awesome. This was our 4th 7-night with Disney. In September I can usually find air for $235 RT or so from Portland to Orlando...roughly the same as I pay to fly to LA.

We live about an hour south of Portland, Oregon...so 5-6 hours plus a ferry ride to Victoria and we're on the Wonder :cool1:

You only need to take the ferry ride to Victoria if you are coming to visit. The Wonder is leaving for Alaska from Vancouver. No ferry ride needed from Oregon.

Yup, those new deck plans are a mess! It used to be so simple. :(

This is just going to prolong our time on hold and on the phone on Monday. Now I have to get prices on 10 different categories and see where they are on the ship and make a definite decision while on the phone booking.

Question: If you book on 9/21 and the pricing goes up afterward and I want to go from say a cat9A to cat9B..I have to pay the new higher price for the cat9B..correct? not the price the cat 9B would have been when I first called. So, I have to make sure I at least book the right category on Monday. And, if my family members can't book until the 28th, now our chances of getting close rooms are less likely if a an A,B or C category is sold out. :confused:

Question: If you book on 9/21 and the pricing goes up afterward and I want to go from say a cat9A to cat9B..I have to pay the new higher price for the cat9B..correct? not the price the cat 9B would have been when I first called. So, I have to make sure I at least book the right category on Monday. And, if my family members can't book until the 28th, now our chances of getting close rooms are less likely if a an A,B or C category is sold out. :confused:

Yes, if you switch rooms later, you have to pay the price that is current when you switch! I'm wondering if you might be able to book for your family members??? If you are booking several rooms at once that are linked and are putting the deposit on your credit card, I'm wondering if you can do it all on the 21st??? Anyone know the answer to that?

Jodie

:rotfl2: Good one Lisa...yes my friend you are certainly dreaming.

Jodie-I think, in the end DCL just found a way to make more money on Cat 9s (well, all the categories really). My sneaky suspicion is that the old deck 1 cat 9s will be priced where all the cat 9s used to be priced and the deck 2 and higher old cat 9s will be priced at a higher price. Like it's been said before, tiered pricing, just like RCCL. Guess they're keeping up with industry standards.

Yes, you are probably right about the pricing. However, Disney can and will raise prices, regardless of stateroom category. For example, we are sailing on this year's Thanksgiving week cruise - cost for all 4 of us was about $5K for a cat 9. I was considering the 2010 cruise (same week). I checked pricing as soon as it was released, and the price for the same room category was $700 more - a pretty significant increase from one year to the next!!

Jodie

Yes, if you switch rooms later, you have to pay the price that is current when you switch! I'm wondering if you might be able to book for your family members??? If you are booking several rooms at once that are linked and are putting the deposit on your credit card, I'm wondering if you can do it all on the 21st??? Anyone know the answer to that?

Jodie

I was told that as a gold castaway club member you can book up to 3 rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter