you want us to pay WHAT for parking?!

MegSmethurst

Mouseketeer
So the story begins with an ADR made for Garden Grove at Disney's Swan Resort. As you can guess from the title, I was not happy about the parking fees. Now, keep in mind that we don't bat an eye paying $14 everyday to park at the parks. I know that it's something that comes with staying offsite and we really like that we can park at any of the 4 Disney sites.

Well we get to the Swan resort and see that the parking cost is $15! There's no hourly fee, no 2 hour grace period for dining. I understand that they don't want guests parking in the resort parking lots and hopping on the WDW busses. I would not do that and am not encouraging that. But really, after paying to park in the park lots I have to pay again?? Really?? :confused3

Well, I tried to enjoy my meal and forget about it. I mean, what could I do? I was able to move past it until we got in our car to pay the fee and leave the lot. "15.98" says the parking attendant. WHAT?? YOU CHARGE TAXES ON THE CRAZY OVERPRICED PARKING FEES?? WHAT?? :furious:

I don't think there is anything I can do about this. I know there's no point in staying mad. But I honestly can tell you I will never stay at the swan or dolphin resort. Never. we had a delicious meal at Whispering Canyon Cafe and didn't pay a time. Just wanted to share my frustrations with the people that might just get it. :(

I was under the impression that restaurants at the Swan and Dolphin would validate parking receipts....is that no longer the case?

That would be annoying.

S&D even charge their hotel guests parking fees, though! Just one reason I don't want to stay there again. I really hate parking fees at hotels. Raise resort rates for everyone if you must, but don't penalize people who live close enough to drive instead of fly!

Some restaurants at the S/D validate parking - I do not know if Garden Grove is one. I think I have read that Shula's and bluezoo do.

When in doubt, ask at the restaurant - maybe you could have gotten free parking?

It is not Disney's Swan Resort. It is owned and operated by Tishman Hotel Corporation who lease the land. It is Tishman's parking fee you are paying at that hotel. That's what you had to pay for parking again. You weren't paying Disney again. You paid Disney to park in their lots then Tishman to park in theirs. Its also Tishman's rules for parking time and length not Disney's. Two completely separate companies.

$15 for a Sheraton is actually pretty cheap. I'm used to $20-$25 at most Sheratons I've been to.

$15 isn't that bad compared to at least one hotel near Hollywood, CA......we once got a hotel room using name your own price on priceline for $40 per night and the hotel charged $55 per night for parking!

Yes, I typed that right, the parking rate was $15 more per night than our room rate.

This was a last minute deal for us and we were staying local, just a mini getaway to Hollywood, needless to say we were not happy about this at all.

We looked more into the hotel, there was no nearby street parking and no hourly rates at their lot, the total was $55 for an hour or for 24 hours, didn't matter to them.

We talked with the hotel, who told us to call Priceline and they would allow us to cancel, because we planed on $20 at most per night for parking, which is still very high, but $55 per night was way out of our price range, that effectively would have made our room rate $95 per night.

That being said, I think it should be legally required for a business to provide free parking for it's customers for what would be a reasonable amount of time of being there, in the case of a hotel, if you are staying there, parking should be free for the length of stay, if you are going to a restaurant, 2-3 hours, perhaps a little more depending on the restaurant.

Bottom line is if I am a paying customer, I expect to be treated with respect and part of that is I expect you to provide parking at no cost to me.

Now, if you think that's bad, how about this, our city of Long Beach, CA wants to ban free parking in the entire city. They want to require all merchants to charge for parking. They already have banned plastic bags and require merchants to charge $0.15 per paper bag and on top of it they want us to pay for parking. Luckily I live on the border to another city (literally on the border) and we shop there more often than in Long Beach because of this. This policy has cost the local merchants a lot of money in lost revenue, because most people are doing this. Now they want to tack the cost of parking (something like $5 per hour) on top of it.

Ok, can you tell that charging for parking is a hot issue for me and that I don't like it? LOL

Seriously, it's just pathetic, setup your business to handle parking for the customers you have or don't setup shop there. If you want your free parking to be remote and provide Vallet parking at a charge, that's fine (as long as you provide free Vallet for the disabled), but you should always provide a free option.

I don't mind the parking fee but I would like it to be more prominent on the restaurant website so every one knows it's cost.

That being said, I think it should be legally required for a business to provide free parking for it's customers for what would be a reasonable amount of time of being there, in the case of a hotel, if you are staying there, parking should be free for the length of stay, if you are going to a restaurant, 2-3 hours, perhaps a little more depending on the restaurant.

Bottom line is if I am a paying customer, I expect to be treated with respect and part of that is I expect you to provide parking at no cost to me.

Then they would just roll the cost into the room or food costs. You would still be paying it one way or another. It would never be "free". Plus, I like having it broken down. I don't want to pay more for things that I will not be using. If I take a taxi to a restaurant, I don't want to pay inflated prices so that other diners think they are getting "free" parking.

I first want to say that I agree with almost everything said so far on this thread. And I wanted to shed some light (my version) on the parking fees. So, IMHO:

Back in the day, there were no parking fees at the S/D. Then, to avoid the WDW parking fees, off-site visitors started parking there, and would park then walk or boat over to the IG into Epcot, and I'm sure DHS as well. It wasn't so bad that it totally ruined parking at the Swan, but these knuckleheads then began writing/bragging about it in their trip reports (on other sites). Word got around, others learned about it, and it slowly got worse and worse. Eventually, the S/D presumably noticed the high occupancy in the lots, and found that to be an opportunity to increase their revenue by charging everyone to park there (basically, supply and demand). (Note: they didn't just enact a fee for day guests only, they put it in place for anyone parking there for any reason). Once that fee went in place, the freeloaders stopped coming around for parking, and the resort guests and day guest diners were, and are, the primary ones left to 'pay the price' for the inconsiderate few who publicized their parking tip for the world to see.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/garden-grove/

I know it is not nice, but it is listed in their policies. Many high end hotels (especially at prime locations) charge a premium for parking. Blue Zoo & Shula's (signature restaurants) validate for parking as stated in their policies. Looks like GG does not.

I trade into DVC through RCI (timeshare) and I must pay a $95.00 "resort" fee to Disney. But, I save a LOT over what I would be paying rack rate or even directly through DVC. Disney on-site hotels are over-priced when compared to off-site. That parking fee is worked into the rate. Swolphin guests pay a resort & a parking fee. So although their rates are a bit lower than Boardwalk or Beach Club, they pay a resort & parking fee.

Guest Policies
  • Location does not offer Complimentary cakes. To request a customized cake or a Kosher Meal please call (407) 934-1717 at least 4 days in advanced.
  • Menu items, pricing and hours are subject to change without notice. If applicable, a gratuity of 18% will be automatically added for parties of 6 or more.
  • For additional dining and restaurant information, please call (407) 934-1609.
    [*]This restaurant charges a fee for self and valet parking.
  • This experience takes place in a non-smoking environment.
  • Two Disney Characters appear nightly, and on Saturday and Sunday mornings. Characters are subject to change without notice.
  • This dining facility does not accept Disney room charges, the Disney Dining Plan, or Disney Gift Cards.
  • This location can accommodate most special dietary needs. Advance notice may be required and cancellation fees may apply. Please indicate any special dietary need at time of reservation booking. Learn more about how we can help accommodate special dietary needs.
  • Due to the popularity of our Disney table service restaurants, dining availability may be limited or not available without advance reservations. Please call (407) WDW-DINE or (407) 939-3463 to make reservations up to 180 days prior to your visit. Same-day bookings after 5:00 p.m. may only be done at the location. Guest must contact the location directly at 407-934-1609.

Although the policy may be stinky, I think it's great that it's listed right there in the reservation information - so it is not hidden at all. It's important to read all those items when making reservations, for any Disney restaurant so you know what to expect. I'm sure they can't list how much because the S/D have control over that and could change it at any time, but at least it is listed.

Man, that would have been worth it to just park at DTD and ride the bus to the S&D. Or take your hotel bus to one of the parks and grab a bus to the S&D from the main hub. You can do that...right?

1. Man, that would have been worth it to just park at DTD and ride the bus to the S&D.

2. Or take your hotel bus to one of the parks and grab a bus to the S&D from the main hub. You can do that...right?

1. Not touching that one.

2. Yes you could take a bus to DHS and then walk to the Swan & Dolphin.

Man, that would have been worth it to just park at DTD and ride the bus to the S&D. Or take your hotel bus to one of the parks and grab a bus to the S&D from the main hub. You can do that...right?

Either way, it would have taken a painfully long time to get to S&D and back to your car at DTD or your hotel. Parking at DTD and busing to S&D - at least an hour. Each way.

From the OP's offsite hotel, much, much longer. The offsite hotel shuttles don't run nearly as frequently as Disney transportation.

To save two hours of riding various buses (and waiting around for various buses), just to get dinner - I'd gladly pay $14. After the first hour of bus-riding, I'd probably pay twice that, just so I didn't have to do it again. :rotfl:

I agree they have the right to charge for parking.

I won't even argue that this price is too high.

I wouldn't demand they do anything different than what they are doing, it's just my opinion that it would be nice if they would validate for people that just need someplace to park while they are patronizing their restaurants.

If it were me, I would plan to eat at Garden Grove on an Epcot day and walk their through the International Gateway.

Another way to save is to get an Annual Pass (if that works for your family) and get a Tables in Wonderland which entitles you to free Valet when patronizing a TiW restaurant.

As Lynne M. said, I would not get on a bus in DTD.

Paying for parking at hotels is the rule rather than the exception at almost any resort in a city or popular destination. At Universal's resorts it is $22 for self park and $29 for valet, I think. I agree that it stinks, but is hard to avoid. In L.A. where I live, it is standard to pay $25-30 per night for hotel parking, and in San Francisco daily parking fees of $40-$50 are pretty standard.

If the Swan/Dolphin are $169 per night as you can often find, vs. $369 per night at adjacent, comparable resorts such as the Boardwalk or Beach Club, then $15 for parking is not a huge deal, but I agree that the restaurants should validate and at least reduce the cost down to half price or something.

To the poster who said that business should be "legally required" to provide free parking... why? I am not sure where that slippery slope stops. I am not sure why business should be legally required to provide anything for free. They exist to make money, they are not a subsidized service. In many cases businesses, including hotels, do not own the parking lots that people might park in, those lots often are privately and separately owned and are for-profit business. Hotels and other business have to pay security guards and other employees to operate the lot, which is a cost that is being passed along. But obviously some hotels have turned not only parking, but other services into profit centers. Should a hotel be legally required to provide things like internet free of charge because you are staying there? It is nice if they do, but do we really want to have laws preventing them from charging what they want? In our economy its supply and demand. if nobody was willing to pay the parking fee and business was dropping off as a result, the parking fee would go away.

It would be any easy thing for the resorts to have free parking for their guest, just put in the toll arm thingy that are at the other resorts. Use your room key to get in and out like at the other resorts. I haven't traveled alot, scared of flying (not of flying just falling a very long way), anyway, in Jax FL, and surrounding cities we don't have a lot of paid parking anywhere. Yeah there are some parking garages, and meters but those are down town, other than that there is free parking everywhere. So it's pretty strange for me to pay to park anywhere, much less where I'm going to spend money or stay at.

I couldn't bring myself to pay $15 to go eat dinner somewhere.

I look at it as a total amount paid. Did the $15 parking fee make the meal more than it would have been at a WDW buffet? If not, you still got a good deal. (I really don't know, because we've never eaten at GG.) The restaurants & hotels are going to get your money one way or the other. It amazes me that people think Disney gives anyone free parking or free internet. Have you check the rates of these hotels? The cost is included in the room rate. If I can stay at S/D & pay the fees for less than staying at a Disney Epcot resort, I'm still getting a great deal. People want to eat or stay cheaper + get everything else for free. That wouldn't make sense for any business. Do the math. If you add the extras & still paid less, you got a better deal.

So the story begins with an ADR made for Garden Grove at Disney's Swan Resort. As you can guess from the title, I was not happy about the parking fees. Now, keep in mind that we don't bat an eye paying $14 everyday to park at the parks. I know that it's something that comes with staying offsite and we really like that we can park at any of the 4 Disney sites.

Well we get to the Swan resort and see that the parking cost is $15! There's no hourly fee, no 2 hour grace period for dining. I understand that they don't want guests parking in the resort parking lots and hopping on the WDW busses. I would not do that and am not encouraging that. But really, after paying to park in the park lots I have to pay again?? Really?? :confused3

Well, I tried to enjoy my meal and forget about it. I mean, what could I do? I was able to move past it until we got in our car to pay the fee and leave the lot. "15.98" says the parking attendant. WHAT?? YOU CHARGE TAXES ON THE CRAZY OVERPRICED PARKING FEES?? WHAT?? :furious:

I don't think there is anything I can do about this. I know there's no point in staying mad. But I honestly can tell you I will never stay at the swan or dolphin resort. Never. we had a delicious meal at Whispering Canyon Cafe and didn't pay a time. Just wanted to share my frustrations with the people that might just get it. :(

I never knew they charged a parking fee so I am glad you posted this. We always rent a car and stay on Disney property.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter