You are asked 'Is the customer always right?' in a job interview

Someone I knew said something once like "it matters not if the customer is always right as much as if the customer leaves happy"

Interesting question...

Assuming the interview is for a retail organization, I think I'd say, "No, of course the customer is not always right. And there are some customers with truly outrageous demands that you're better off not having as customers.

"But keeping an existing customer is much easier and cheaper than attracting a new customer. If a customer has a special request and you can reasonably find a way to accommodate it, do it. Treat every customer as if she's special."

i hate those questions. I think if we all answered those employment quesitonaires with our completely honest answer none of us would get work. It stinks. You have to lie.

WebmasterKathy said:
Interesting question...

Assuming the interview is for a retail organization, I think I'd say, "No, of course the customer is not always right. And there are some customers with truly outrageous demands that you're better off not having as customers.

"But keeping an existing customer is much easier and cheaper than attracting a new customer. If a customer has a special request and you can reasonably find a way to accommodate it, do it. Treat every customer as if she's special."

I think Kathy is on the right track. I work for a fairly good sized retail organization, and I know, that on occasion, there have been customers that we have 'fired'.

But I really like Kathy's answer for an interview or questionairre.

I have answered "yes" unless they are doing something blatantly wrong and/or illegal(something to that affect..it's been years so don't recall--but I did have an exception).

I did get hired with that response.

I think most interviewers would want to hear they are but I've been dealing with customers for 25 years and I can say with authority that they are not always right. But even so, you have to suck it up every once in a while regardless.

Yes, even if they aren't. They believe they are and that is what matters.

I have answered this question before - basically I say this:

No, the customer is not always right. But it isn't a question of being right or wrong. It's about feeling valued, feeling that you've been heard, feeling that the company cares about your business. The easiest way to solve a customer service problem is to prevent it. Simple courtesy and attentiveness are usually all you need to do this.

The customer isn't always right but we do everything in our power to give them options and make them feel as if we are at least trying to help them. If we have exhausted all possible options and they still leave angry, there is nothing more we can do.

The customer that wants to return a gift card for cash...they aren't right and there is nothing we can do to give them cash. They will leave irate but I will still walk them to the door and tell them to have a nice afternoon as they call me an ******* and storm out. ;) (true story)

*I* want to do nothing wrong in a customer service situation and if I keep my cool and treat them with the respect they aren't giving me, they may look back on the way they acted and feel sheepish. If I was nasty to them, they are far more likely never to return.

Maybe something similar to that. Kathy hit the nail on the head.

I had this question. I said, "Not usually, but you can let them believe they are." I've worked there for a year. :)

I answered "No, but we don't let them know that." with a smile. I got a laugh and the job (waiting tables, if it matters)...

I would say the customer isn't necessarily always right but we have to remember the customer is still always the customer.

Richard

richiebaseball said:
I would say the customer isn't necessarily always right but we have to remember the customer is still always the customer.

Richard

This is exactly what we train our new employees to believe. 'The customer is NOT always right, but the customer is ALWAYS the customer'.

That said, we do have a few stores that do not want the customers upset, corporate does not want to hear from them. We have to do whatever it takes to make that escalated customer happy. Rules and policies do not apply to those customers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter