Yia-Yia, Yetis and Epcotonians. A sweltering Summer of '22 adventure!

Really enjoying your TR and beautiful pictures! Always a bonus to spend time with adult children. Looking forward to reading more!

Thanks @rdkeim ! WDW with adult children is very different but still fun!

Love your trip report and am in awe of your courage to go in mid July!! The camera lenses sure made amazing pictures!!

Thank you @cyndiella ! Yes, it's certainly hot in July but we manage by getting up early, taking a break after lunch then going out late.

We've ridden Buzz plenty of times over the years, starting when it was considered a "must do" at the Parks.

DSC01529-X2.jpg

DSC01524-X2.jpg

And I've taken plenty of photos during the ride...

DSC01525-X2.jpg

Remember when HDR photography was a thing and everyone wanted their photos to either look like a cartoon or look radioactive?

TMZorg-X3.jpg

Since those days and since Toy Story Mid-Way Mania opened, Buzz has fallen down the ranks of "most popular" attractions, but we're all still fans!
For this battle against Zurg I armed myself with my venerable 8mm f/2.8 fisheye lens instead of the 14mm. I have always wanted to shot this ride with the fisheye because of the close quarters and the craziness of the fisheye lending well to a crazy type ride. The big challenge was going to be dealing with the "slower" aperture of f/2.8 in a very dark ride. Not only from a standpoint of allowing in enough light to the camera but also dealing with the manual focus only nature of the lens and getting things in focus. Not exactly a picnic in a moving ride, but I've been there before so I followed Sterg and Toni's cart as the lone rider in my own. Their challenge was to try to get the highest score amongst our triumvirate.

Off we went!

DSC00425-X3.jpg

My mission - maneuver my craft by myself while shooting targets and outscoring the kids while photographing this dark ride using a slow aperture, manually focusing lens! Well, I didn't come all the way to Walt Disney World to not go for it!

DSC00426-X3.jpg

First room...

DSC00429-X3.jpg

DSC00430-X3.jpg

Zurg!

DSC00432-X3.jpg

DSC00433-X3.jpg

Escape Hatch! Inside here is were I thought the fisheye would shine.

DSC00434-X3.jpg

But alas, the images on the screen were just too dark and moving too fast for me to capture any kind of usable shot. Perhaps the faster 14mm 1.8 would have fared better.

During the course of the ride I discovered that you can shoot a single target multiple times. It's sure not as fun as shooting a target then trying to acquire another one across the room, but for my purposes of gaining bragging rights and with one hand on the gun and the other switching from holding the camera to swinging the ride around it was a perfect strategy.

"What were your scores?" I asked as the ride came to an end.

"I had 34,000" from Toni

"48,000!" beamed Sterg.

I waited. "What did you get?"

"56,000 baby!"
I exclaimed.

Certainly not a score to brag about in the annals of Buzzlightyear history but on that day enough to show the old-man still had it!

Good job SpaceRangers!

DSC00440-X3.jpg

Overall I was pretty happy with the results I captured with my challenging lens and I finally scratched that itch.

We exited and I got one more shot with the fisheye...

I do love when they do this!

DSC00442-X3.jpg

After Buzz I really, really wanted to jump on the People Mover. The other 2/3 of the Triumvirate were luke warm but after a little pep talk they were convinced. The line was long but moving fast. After moving through 2 rows of the roped queue line we were stopped cold. The ride was down. 10 minutes later without moving and with the cars still frozen we decided to move on with long faces.

Our lightning lane was coming up so we took some time to take a "potty" break.

I'm not a fan of the "fish lips" that Toni likes to use in her photos but I still love her.

DSC00445-X3.jpg

We then made our way to FrontierLand via FantasyLand...

DSC00447-X3.jpg

This was tempting but we moved on.

DSC00448-X3.jpg

Getting closer!

DSC00451-X3.jpg

DSC00452-X3.jpg

I was starting to get more comfortable with the 14mm.

DSC00454-X3.jpg

We hopped in line for the Wildest Ride in the Wilderness!

DSC00457-X3.jpg

I have grown to enjoy the signs in the queue.

DSC00459-X3.jpg

"Toni, can we stop with the fish lips?" I requested.

"Hi Fish lips." was the response.

DSC00460-X3.jpg

We were moving fast through the line but I still managed some shots...

DSC00461-X3.jpg

I explained to the kids what a grave alarm was. A string in the coffin that rang a bell above ground just in case they buried you by mistake.

"Hi grave alarm."

DSC00462-X3.jpg

Very good advise.

DSC00464-X3.jpg

Nice view...

DSC00465-X5.jpg

More signs

DSC00466-X3.jpg

and more views...

DSC00467-X3.jpg

I also explained why there were bird cages in the ceiling of the queue and why miners took birds, specifically canaries down in the mine shaft.

DSC00469-X3.jpg

Gotta check for gold!

DSC00472-X3.jpg

"No fish lips!" I commanded.

"I spent $5,000 for you to have a beautiful smile so let me see it!"

DSC00474-X3.jpg

"Thank you!"

Sterg however couldn't resist harassing me with his version of the fish lips.

I love all your reminiscing down memory lane...that bean dip story is hilarious!

So enjoying your report and photos :goodvibes

Our train pulled into the station.

DSC00475-X3.jpg

I love going through the cavern during the climb and feel it's a very underrated part of the ride...

DSC00478-X4.jpg

The fun has begun!

DSC00482-X4.jpg

Big Smiles (and no fish lips) behind me!

DSC00485-X4.jpg

DSC00488-X4.jpg

DSC00497-X4.jpg

DSC00508-X4.jpg

DSC00509-X4.jpg

The wildest ride in the wilderness pulled back into the station. Our next stop was going to be something I've been trying to do since at least 2000. I vaguely remember seeing it as a little boy in 1976. Once again it took some convincing but the 2/3 was on board.

Off we went.

DSC00511-X3.jpg

The Country Bears were out.

DSC00513-2-X3.jpg

DSC00514-X3.jpg

Getting closer...

DSC00515-X3.jpg

By the way, the flowers and landscaping throughout WDW was beautiful. I'm sure a horticulturalist could do an entire trip just identifying and appreciating it all.

Made it!

DSC00517-X3.jpg

Up Next - A great show loved by all, Pirates with the 50mm, and the rain arrives.

Love the BTMRR pics, but aren't you afraid that very expensive camera will fly away?

Last edited:
I love all your reminiscing down memory lane...that bean dip story is hilarious!

So enjoying your report and photos :goodvibes

Thanks! I wanted to kill them at the time! :D

Your children are very photogenic.

Thanks you @grapefruitjellybean !

Love the BTMRR pics, but aren't you afraid that very expensive camera will fly away?

No as I always have it strapped around my neck. I do worry about knocking a tooth out with it from time to time; especially on Dinosaur. One time I drop a lens and sent it to Davey Jones locker in Pirates of the Caribbean but that's a long painful story.

giphy.gif

Hall of Presidents Lobby

DSC00519-X4.jpg

Once again I played the role of teacher and explained the history of Walt Disney and his admiration of Abe Lincoln which led to building an animatronic of him for the World's Fair, Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln at Disneyland and ultimately the Hall of Presidents at Walt Disney World. Toni, who is majoring in Political Science was especially intrigued and Sterg was not far behind. So many times as my children were younger I would try to imagine them as adults and I was seeing it then in front of my eyes and over the course of this trip. 10 years ago there would have been much protest, whining, and gnashing of teeth about spending valuable time at MK in a "boring" ride like this when the "Mountain Range" beckoned.

DSC00523-X3.jpg

DSC00524-X3.jpg

DSC00525-X3.jpg

DSC00526-X3.jpg

It wasn't long before we were let into the theater. All of us were immediately impressed.

DSC00527-X3.jpg

DSC00529-X3.jpg

The movie (there's a movie?) started to play on the beautiful and wide screen. I was simply expecting the stage show with the Presidents.

DSC00531-X3.jpg

The film was stunning and extremely well done.

DSC00532-X3.jpg

DSC00533-X3.jpg

Then President Lincoln appeared, right in the middle of the screen. It was a "wow" moment.

DSC00535-X3.jpg

DSC00536-2-X3.jpg

The big reveal. It wasn't hard to understand why some viewers would think these were real people. Their motions were smooth and natural. Sterg and Toni were flabbergasted.

DSC00537-X3.jpg

DSC00538-X3.jpg

DSC00539-X4.jpg

The narration was perfect, especially in these times of such political division. It was moving, patriotic and devoid of any rhetoric or messaging. It was classic Disney and demonstrated what Disney has done and still does best. The 2/3 thanked me for taking them there and we talked about the show for a good half hour off and on afterwards.

My Day 1 stubbles and fumbles were definitely behind me.

Back out in the heat and heading for our next adventure. This huddle of CMs was getting ready.

DSC00540-X3.jpg

We were all pointing out and appreciating the details in the Park.

DSC00541-X3.jpg

The Tikis were spouting their refreshing mist...

DSC00543-X3.jpg

and drawing in a crowd. Love that little boy's shirt!

DSC00545-2-X3.jpg

The Jungle Cruise had a ridiculous wait.

DSC00546-X3.jpg

So we opted for another boat ride.

DSC00548-X3.jpg

Surprisingly, over the years Pirates has not been a favorite of my kids. Toni admitted in the queue that it used to scare her.

DSC00551-X3.jpg

Making sure I had a good hold of my camera and lenses we started our tour of the Caribbean.

DSC00555-X3.jpg

No tales from this guy.

DSC00559-X3.jpg

Or him.

DSC00565-X4.jpg

The battle is still raging. I never knew the ship was named "Wicked Wench".

DSC00569-X4.jpg

DSC00573-X4.jpg

Fire!

I also never noticed other sailors on board.

DSC00577-X4.jpg

Carlos was having a bad day again.

DSC00580-2-X4.jpg

DSC00583-X3.jpg

Hello Jack!

DSC00585-X4.jpg

In my mind I was comparing the 50mm 1.2 to the Sony Zeiss 55mm 1.8 (that I dropped into the water in POTC back in 2017). Both lenses are very sharp, the 50mm has better rendering and other technical advantages and of course it's faster (f/1.2 vs f/1.8) it's also weather sealed, has a great focusing ring and a Focus control and programable switch on the lens. It is one of the best if not best 50mm lens on the market today. The 55mm is more compact and lighter and costs about 1/3 of the price of the 50mm. I really enjoyed shooting the 50mm and was glad I rented but for the money and the smaller, lighter body I would definitely purchase the 55mm over it.

Auction scene.

DSC00588-X4.jpg

DSC00592-X4.jpg

DSC00594-X4.jpg

I always get a pic of the "bridge guy".

DSC00597-X4.jpg

Jack's back...

DSC00599-X4.jpg

Here kitty,kitty

DSC00603-2-X4.jpg

you could smell the town burning.

DSC00611-X4.jpg

Sleeping with pigs.

DSC00614-X4.jpg

DSC00616-X4.jpg

Stubborn pup.

DSC00619-X3.jpg

DSC00620-X3.jpg

DSC00623-X3.jpg

See you guys next time!

DSC00627-X3.jpg

You too Jack!

DSC00629-X3.jpg

Sterg and Toni enjoyed POTC more than ever! I was happy about that as my Day 2 momentum was building.

We decided it was a good time to take a break for lunch. I also got a call from Marina. They arrived at Coronado Springs but were having issues with their rooms. :oops: I told her to keep us posted.

Despite feeling more like pirates, we passed on Tortuga Tavern.

DSC00632-2-X3.jpg

and decided on Pecos Bills. I turned around to see an empty fixins bar. Bummer. Not sure if it's still a covid thing or to prevent guests from making their own free salad. All the fixins came in little plastic cups or individual servings (sour cream).

Big thumbs up from the two thirds!

PXL_20220716_160708478-X3.jpg

We finished just in time for the arrival of our Florida afternoon storm of the day.

Our cheap disposable ponchos were no match for this downpour so like 99% of the park guests we seeked shelter.

PXL_20220716_161933423-X3.jpg

Heavy rain, thunder and lighting was the entertainment for a good 15-20 minutes...

DSC00633-X3.jpg

DSC00634-2-X3.jpg

Time to update Social Media...

PXL_20220716_162525439.PORTRAIT-X3.jpg

Then some flooding...

DSC00636-X3.jpg

But before too much longer the rain started to slow.

UP NEXT - Pool time, Yia-Yia arrives and needs a drink (or two) and the adventure getting to Ohana

I just told my 17 ye old DS I'm getting him a "Princess Security" tee!
This did not go over well...
So enjoying your photos and story! Thank you for posting.

Wonderful updates, pics and writing/storytelling. Thanks for helping me feel like I'm there with you, all the way from Australia!

I just told my 17 ye old DS I'm getting him a "Princess Security" tee!
This did not go over well...
So enjoying your photos and story! Thank you for posting.

Lol! Teenagers are another breed!

Thanks for the kind words!

giphy.gif

Wonderful updates, pics and writing/storytelling. Thanks for helping me feel like I'm there with you, all the way from Australia!

Much appreciated @KEK1 !

giphy.gif

Update from Marina - they had one room in the "tower" and another outside the "tower" even though she booked 2 rooms in the tower and requested all of us to be close to each other. She and the rest of the crew were waiting it out to speak with a manager.

I told her we have been going all morning and were heading back to the resort for some pool time and we'd meet up with her there.

Making our way out...

My boy loves to pose!

DSC00639-X3.jpg

Toni's not far behind but she's always been that way for me.

DSC00642-X3.jpg

heading out,

DSC00646-X3.jpg

But I couldn't resist some "departing shots"...

DSC00647-X3.jpg

The crowded parks certainly made photography much more challenging vs. our 2020 trip. Walls of moving people often blocked me or discouraged me for getting to where I wanted.

But I managed. I liked the gold overlay on the Clocks.

DSC00649-X3.jpg

DSC00650-X3.jpg

More Main Street USA

DSC00651-X3.jpg

DSC00652-X3.jpg

Here's a good example of "sharp subject melting into a dreamy bokeh-licious background."

DSC00654-X3.jpg

DSC00655-X3.jpg

I was kinda luke-warm for these banners. I expected something a bit bolder. But "understated" seems to be the current theme in Walt Disney World.

DSC00657-X3.jpg

Have to get my balloon shots.

DSC00658-X3.jpg

DSC00661-X3.jpg

See you later Magic Kingdom! With the heat index soaring I was looking forward to some cooling off time.

DSC00662-X3.jpg

Last edited:
Back at Gran Destino Tower we were greeted by Donald and Pluto in their 50th Anniversary garb! We were also greeted by the news that Marina and crew, after settling room reservation issues, were in route to Magic Kingdom.
We were then going to meet them at Ohana for dinner at 5pm.

PXL_20220716_182612706~3-X3.jpg

Sterg and Toni immediately changed and went to the pool. I took a slower approach which may have included a 15 minute cat nap. But eventually I made it.

PXL_20220716_184328200-X3.jpg

They said the slide was fun but I never tried it.

PXL_20220716_190621348-X2.jpg

Typical for July in WDW, the water in the pool was very warm. I enjoyed the look and atmosphere but after some time goofing around and playing toss in the pool I decided I needed a drink. The pool bar was packed and I was more attracted to the bar back in Destino so I left solo for a cold one there.

PXL_20220716_192222198~2-X2.jpg

It was great to take a break after all the hustle and bustle of that last day and a half. It gave me an opportunity to relax, refresh and recharge. I was looking forward to the big dinner with Marina, her family and my Mom. We originally booked Skipper Canteen but Marina spotting an opening at Ohana and jumped on it. Her family are also big Disney lovers. My sister and my love for Disney goes back to the one family vacation we had in our childhood. As children of 1st generation restaurant owners that immigrated from a war-torn Greece, vacations were not a familar concept. In 1976 we all drove down to Florida to see one of my Dad's uncles and spend a few days in Walt Disney World. I really believe that is a big reason WDW holds a special place in Marina and my hearts.

After pool time, Sterg and Toni dressed more appropriately for dinner and of course had to take pictures to feed the hungry social media beast. I snuck in a few shots.

DSC00666-X3.jpg

DSC00668-2-X3.jpg

DSC00669-X3.jpg

DSC00673-X3.jpg

$12,000 of dental work their poor crooked toothed father forked out for.

DSC00676-X3.jpg

heading to the bus stop dodging rain drops. There is a nice covered walkway that keeps you protected from the elements through 90% of the way.

BD75C99B-65A8-4B75-8D7F-8CA9710F149E-X2.jpg

Waiting (not long) for the MK bus.

02C3CEDA-3111-4115-81A1-F2FA108D0ED4-X2.jpg

As if on queue, once we settled in the bus the heavens opened with bucket-fulls of water pouring down from the skies. Thunder crackled and lightning ripped through the clouds.

"I hope Marina and crew, especially Yia-Yia were not in this" I thought to myself.

Traffic was slow as the roads were starting to flood. At the bottom of the overpass near the Contemporary the water level was several feet high.

We were dropped off to a rainy scene of a stopped monorail, and a mass of ponchos, umbrellas and guests exiting the park.

DSC00678-X3.jpg

Our plan was to meet up with Team Marina then secure transport to the Polynesian for dinner. Via text we had a general rendezvous point of the Park's exit. With the mass of people heading out it seemed like we should have been more specific!

We are staying at Coronado in November and your pictures are making me even more excited for our stay.

I feel you on the thousands spent on our kids teeth yet not having straight teeth myself. Lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter