Yia-Yia, Yetis and Epcotonians. A sweltering Summer of '22 adventure!

fractal

DIS Veteran
It was the night before our Disney trip and I found myself scrambling. So much to do besides "Disney but "Disney" needed to get done. Where are my SD cards? Where are all my Star Wars shirts? Where is my camera bag? We had just moved after-all and things were not where there should be because well we were in a different house. Toni was scrambling too. She is spending the Summer waitressing in Bethany Beach Delaware and came home THAT DAY to get everything ready for Disney. Her Mom however also wanted her to help get her "crap" ready for college (leaving in a few weeks). Tensions were running high and the early morning flight out of Baltimore was like lighting a fuse to a stick of dynamite. Time was ticking away!

This was going to be a different trip for us. Just three of the five in the family as my wife Val decided to sit this one out and my daughter Alex couldn't get her schedule to work. So Val will be going to New Mexico to visit Alex in a month as the final three, the triumvirate headed to Walt Disney World to meet up with my sister Marina's family and my mom (Yia-Yia).

The Triumvirate -

Toni (center), Sterg and yours truly. I have no idea who the people on the bench are.

02C3CEDA-3111-4115-81A1-F2FA108D0ED4-X3.jpg

As you may or may not know, one of the things I love about going to Disney is honing my photography skills. For this trip I decided to rent two fantastic (and expensive) lenses. The Sony GM 50mm f/ 1.2 and the Sony GM 14mm f/1.8 lenses to be exact. The cost to buy both of those lenses would be as much as the cost of the entire trip. Additionally I rented a lens adaptor to pair with my old Minolta 70-210 "beercan" lens that I wanted to try out on the Safari.

PXL_20220714_163312867-X2.jpg

PXL_20220714_163122685-X2.jpg

PXL_20220714_163209308.MOTION-02.ORIGINAL-X2.jpg

I've been crazy after the 14mm lens due to it's wide angle nature. It's actually so wide it's referred to as an "ultra-wide angle" lens. Wide angle lenses have wonderful applications at WDW and I was going to see how this baby was going to work for me. The 50mm 1.2 is a lens with a great reputation. Very fast, very sharp and producing beautiful bokeh as your sharp subject stands in front of a background that literally melts into a dreamy blur of photographic delight.

By 11pm all that was packed, what was left of my Star Wars shirts was packed - "Chris, aren't we just getting a bit too old for Star Wars shirts?" Val quipped - and everything else on my list was packed.

Toni was also packed and had full-filled her "getting ready for college" obligations.

Val said her goodbyes and goodnights..
giphy.gif

and went to bed.

It was soon time for me to lay down for 3 hours of sleep. The hardest thing left for me to do was wake up with my alarm. I think I'll have a glass on wine (or two?). After-all, what could go wrong?

Last edited:
I think I was dreaming about Walt Disney. In fact, I know I was. Walt and I were having a nice conversation walking down Main Street USA in Disneyland talking about all sorts of amazing things. I think the last thing he told me was "don't forget - your flight boards at 6am."

Then the trolley bell started ringings, and ringing, and ringing, except it wasn't a bell it was more like the chime of my alarm clock. "OK, I'm up" I thought to myself as I turned off the 2am alarm. "but just five more minutes..." I thought as I laid my head back down on my soft warm pillow. "besides, I want to finish my talk with Walt...zzzzz".

"DAD - WAKE UP!"
Toni screamed as she shook me. "It's 2:45!"

2:45 AM was the time I wanted to leave the house for our 2 hour drive to Baltimore. The stick of dynamite just went off. After 15 minutes of a mad dash, we somehow packed the car and pulled out of our driveway by 3am.
"Why didn't I get Wally to drive us?" I thought to myself.

around 5am we were "at" the airport but still had to park and shuttle over. I'll let Toni explain...

From there on things got better.

PXL_20220715_100129089-X2.jpg

Plane was ready! (Toni's pic)

F68EECB3-F76D-45DC-A562-A2363689B377-X2.jpg

And so was Toni!

DSC00039-X2.jpg

We made our flight and within no time we were at Orlando International Airport. With no Magic Express we needed a way from there to our resort (Gran Destino Tower at Coronado Springs). Sterg happened to be in the process of moving from the north Miami area to the Tampa area and was staying with my in-laws near St. Petersburg. It was an easy ride for him to pick us up and drive to Walt Disney World.

We didn't have to wait too long for his arrival...

On our way!

PXL_20220715_135515100-X2.jpg

Sterg did an exemplary job steering our ship down the Florida highways and soon enough we saw this!

PXL_20220715_140714406-X3.jpg

Last edited:
During the flight I used the $8 Southwest internet connection to book my first Genie + of the trip. With tax it came out to just short of $50 for the three of us. Mickey Mouse caught me in another human trap!

Our Park Reservation was at DHS but RISE of the Resistance was down that morning so no virtual queue. Our first Lightning Lane was a date with Steve Tyler and crew if we could make it.

I was excited to stay at Gran Destino Tower as I loved the photos of and @coachwnh spoke so highly of it. Now it was time to see for myself...

DSC00043-X3.jpg

Our room wasn't ready yet so we left our bags will Bell Services, parked the car and checked out the lobby.

PXL_20220715_142323305-X2.jpg

DSC00056-X3.jpg

Can you see me in the mirrored ceiling?

DSC00053-X3.jpg

DSC00047-X3.jpg

I loved the look of the bar!

DSC00054-X3.jpg

OK - we can take more pics of the lobby when we get back. Right now Hollywood Studios is calling our name!

On our way...

DSC00059-X3.jpg

It felt good to be on a Disney bus again! Even if I missed focus.

DSC00060-X3.jpg

We were all excited to get into a Disney Park again!

DSC00066-X3.jpg

DSC00064-X3.jpg

DSC00070-X3.jpg

DSC00071-X3.jpg

The last time we were at WDW was right after it reopened during the Pandemic in July 2020. It sure felt great not having to wear a mask!

DSC00073-X3.jpg

Can you spot the airplane in the upper left corner (below)?

DSC00074-X3.jpg

It felt great to be back! Now I just had to get used to this 14mm lens. Man is this thing wide!!

DSC00077-X3.jpg

Joining in! Love the extra video touches!

I would have been super anxious oversleeping with a two hour ride ahead of me!

A quick timeout to talk/rant about crowds and people moving through the parks.

Crowds were not an issue during our previous trip - July 2020 - due to the pandemic.

Here's a photo of me waiting for a bus at DHS. This was around 1pm in the afternoon. For a solid 20 minutes not only did no bus show up, I did not see one signal person. Not one. At a WDW Park bus station. As I wrote in my report - the possibility of a zombie apocalypse starting to enter my mind.

IMG_20200724_121723-X2.jpg

Well, the crowds are back! We found WDW to be very crowded this trip. This brought a sense or normalcy to things as for the most part there was no hint of the pandemic, which is great. The downside is how a good number of people maneuver badly through the crowded parks. Here are the worst offenders.

1) The "WALL" people as we started calling them. Groups of 4 or more that decide the best way to go through the busy parks is to go shoulder to shoulder, forming a single wall that makes it near impossible to pass or forces oncoming traffic to squeeze to the side to let through this privileged group. It's like they are auditioning for those dramatic shots you see in movies. Think "Cherry Bomb" scene in Guardians of the Galaxy 1.

No more than three across seems like a good rule to me.

2) The "FREEZE" people. Groups or people that are moving along at a good clip then someone just stops dead and calls for the rest to do the same instead of pulling off to the side to regroup. It's the same a a car hitting the brakes on a busy highway. Jams and Pileups ensue behind them. People dash to either side to avoid collisions but then risk head-ons with opposing traffic! I admit to being guilty of this on rare occasion but it seems like it was a constant thing on this trip.

3) Let's park the entire group right outside the exit of the attraction and figure out what's next. It's like BEAVERS building a dam but to prevent people flow, not water flow.

We were constantly dealing with the WALL, FREEZE and BEAVER people during the trip, especially when it was just the Triumvirate. Conversely, when Marina, Yia-yia and crew arrived, the challenge became NOT to become those offenders!

On that first day morning, the crowds were not that bad, but that would quickly change.

DSC00078-X3.jpg

Time to ride a great indoor coaster!

DSC00081-X3.jpg

We were actually early for our lightning lane so we wandering around a bit.

DSC00082-X3.jpg

DSC00083-X3.jpg

I found a new angle for Tower of Terror and the 14mm fit it all in!

DSC00085-X4.jpg

The standby line for RRC was 90 minutes so we were thankful for the Lightning Lane. I was guilty of doing a "freeze" in the queue line to take this photo...

DSC00089-X3.jpg

The young lady close behind me wasn't paying attention as she literally head butted the back of my head! I apologized and so did she. Who's fault? It's a queue line which are inherently stop & go. We aren't going anywhere fast so it's probably a good idea to see what's in front of you as you are moving forward.

Steven and gang were back and still sticking up for their fans!

Waiting in the alley for our backstage passes and super stretch. Sterg and Toni were very content and taking it all in. I feel as they are getting older they're appreciating these trips on a different level. It's not just about running from attraction to attraction, but also enjoying the themeing and the atmosphere and being in the "Disney bubble". While in line I tried to bag another Lightning Lane but nothing we were interested in was available. Tower of Terror had no availability, or Slinky Dog or Smugglers Run. We were planning to hop to AK later so I booked Navi River just to have something. I wasn't too thrilled with Genie + at that moment.

DSC00091-X3.jpg

DSC00094-X3.jpg

Another Great high-speed AeroSmith concert in the books! The fog of the early morning hours had lifted and the Disney inspired juices were flowing.

DSC00102-X3.jpg

We dashed out and made our way to get a recon on Tower of Terror. 120 minute wait with no Lightning Lane available - UGH!

The decision was made to grab lunch and I suggested Woody's lunchbox so off we went to Toy Story Land but first my first 50th statue photo.

DSC00103-X3.jpg

Toy Story Land welcomed us with all of it's bold, colorful and vibrant atmosphere; and wall to wall people! We spent a lot of time here last trip but those were different times.

I continued to keep the 14mm on the camera and started to test the challenges of such a wide angle for a "walk-around" lens. One thing you have to be careful with is the people directly in front or to your side which typically were Sterg and Toni. They can literally block out most of the scene you're trying to capture.

DSC00104-X3.jpg

Jess still trying to keep things under control...

DSC00105-X3.jpg

Slinky just makes you want to smile!

DSC00106-X3.jpg

We didn't mobile order so we entered the line to counter order.

DSC00108-X3.jpg

The sun was starting to boil and shaded areas became highly sought after. After a few minutes sweating and reviewing the menu we all decided to find another spot.

Leaving the line of Woody's Lunchbox we took the jump to light-speed and traveled to another Galaxy.

DSC00111-X3.jpg

Once we landed in Batuu it didn't take long until we were in the middle of some Imperial entanglements.

Kylo and his troopers were out and about. Toni, who has just recently started to get into Star Wars, said "Hi mean Star Wars guy."

DSC00114-X3.jpg

DSC00115-X3.jpg

Luckily our papers, despite being an older code, checked out. We continued our mission to obtain proper nourishment.

DSC00116-X3.jpg

DSC00117-X3.jpg

We deviated from our original plan to grab a Ronto Wrap and instead stopped in Docking Bay 7 and it's air conditioned seating.

I had the Endorian Chicken Salad and it was surprising great!

DSC00118-X3.jpg

Toni was equally as happy.

DSC00120-X3.jpg

3) Let's park the entire group right outside the exit of the attraction and figure out what's next. It's like BEAVERS building a dam but to prevent people flow, not water flow.

Those are the WORST offenders, in my opinion! They block the whole entry when you're just trying to get in line. I tend to go around them if possible!

I found a new angle for Tower of Terror and the 14mm fit it all in!

DSC00085-X4.jpg

Gorgeous shot!~

I had the Endorian Chicken Salad and it was surprising great!

DSC00118-X3.jpg
Yum, that looks good! I'm not a Rondo wrap fan but this looks like a great option!

Love your trip reports. So excited to see a new one. Off to a great start with fantastic photos, as always. You definitely nailed my top crowd pet peeves. What is the matter with people?? I'll add to the list scooter operators who either don't know what they're doing or go way too fast. Don't get me wrong - love that WDW is welcoming and accessible to all but gosh, there are some people who should not be operating a motorized vehicle! Oh and less of a thing now with mobile order but the people who spend 20 minutes in line with the menu board visible and then wait until they get to the register to decide on their order.

Yay! Another @fractal trip report. Following!

Thanks @MikeWsGirl !

Looking forward to more!

Thanks for following @MaleficentMe !

Joining in! Love the extra video touches!

I would have been super anxious oversleeping with a two hour ride ahead of me!

Thanks @buzzrelly ! It may have had something to do with the ? glasses of wine.

So excited to join! Love being amazed!

Thanks for joining!

Love your trip reports. So excited to see a new one. Off to a great start with fantastic photos, as always. You definitely nailed my top crowd pet peeves. What is the matter with people?? I'll add to the list scooter operators who either don't know what they're doing or go way too fast. Don't get me wrong - love that WDW is welcoming and accessible to all but gosh, there are some people who should not be operating a motorized vehicle! Oh and less of a thing now with mobile order but the people who spend 20 minutes in line with the menu board visible and then wait until they get to the register to decide on their order.

Very much appreciated @2xcited2sleep ! I should have been too excited to sleep but we made it there. Unfortunately, my Mom (Yia-Yia) sometimes falls into the scooter operator category which, as you'll read we had to take some action on. Yes on the menu board readers. My kids do that and I'm always pulling them back and out of the way!

Great report and amazing pictures!!!

thanks @snikki !

popcorn:: yay, another trip report! Love your pictures!! Glad someone was able to wake up to their alarm ::yes::.

Thank you @footballmouse ! I'm very glad she did!

When were you there? We popped in for a “quickie” July 4-6.

Was there July 15th - 20th.

After our Interstellar Salads we walked around and explored Galaxy's Edge.

DSC00122-X3.jpg

DSC00123-X3.jpg

DSC00125-X3.jpg

Still getting used to the lens...

DSC00129-X3.jpg

DSC00131-X3.jpg

DSC00133-X3.jpg

The Crowds were rising as fast as the temperature. The contrast vs. 2 years prior was striking.

DSC00134-X3.jpg

20200721-DSC08213-X3.jpg

While Toni and Sterg took a "potty" break I waited by these pipes and noticed some strange noises coming from below. Batuu sewage system gurgling sounds. I was pretty impressed that Disney went to the trouble to add this level of detail, so much so that I recorded a few seconds of it.

With no Lightning Lanes at DHS we had to decide our next course of action. Star Tours showed a 15 min wait and it kept with our current Galactic theme so off we went.

For some reason I thought going this way was a short cut...

DSC00136-X3.jpg

The kids argued against but man was I sure of it. Plus I got some "never before" photos...

DSC00138-X3.jpg

DSC00140-X3.jpg

DSC00141-X3.jpg

When it turned out that my "shortcut" was nothing more than going around in a big circle, Toni and Sterg started to dig in some comments.

"What's wrong with you today?" Toni asked. "First you sleep through the alarm on Disney Day and now you don't know where you're going?"

" and so far not a great job with the Genie+"
Sterg added.

"He also forgot to check-in on time with Southwest!" Toni added. "We were in group C again!"

"Oh yeah, forgot about that one."
I thought.

"But I was sure there was an alley here to Star Tours..." I mumbled a poor defense.

"Maybe it's just some Day 1 rust." Toni feeling bad for me.

Before too much longer we did reach Endor, but the wait was now 50minutes!

DSC00142-X3.jpg

That was decided to be too long. If only we had gotten here sooner...

giphy.gif

"Now what?" They both looked at me as I was once again on my Disney app scambling.

"Here we go, here's something."

"What?"

"Oh you'll both love it...Follow me!"
I said and marched on.

When it turned out that my "shortcut" was nothing more than going around in a big circle, Toni and Sterg started to dig in some comments.

"What's wrong with you today?" Toni asked. "First you sleep through the alarm on Disney Day and now you don't know where you're going?"

" and so far not a great job with the Genie+"
Sterg added.

"He also forgot to check-in on time with Southwest!" Toni added. "We were in group C again!"

"Oh yeah, forgot about that one."
I thought.

"But I was sure there was an alley here to Star Tours..." I mumbled a poor defense.

"Maybe it's just some Day 1 rust." Toni feeling bad for

Lol! Group C is unforgivable! I think there used to be a cut through that was cut off when SWGE was built?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!