• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Yara Shahidi is the new Tinkerbell

Why should the race of a fictional character matter? If you don't think Tinkerbell should be played by someone who is African American then don't watch the movie. This is not a Disney issue.
.....so then no Lost Boys....because that will be more controversial that Julie Roberts playing tink....what ethinc group wants to represent a lost boy in today's climate.....AND...they are lost boys because female infants did not have the physical endurance to fall out of the prams so Barrie had no lost girls....however in 2002 Disney saw the error of Barrie ways and introduced a lost girl

Ya know, for me it's not the race of the character at all, I don't give two flips about someone's ethnicity or background, it's the look. I want to see the same look of a character that I'm used to or else its just someone trying to convince me that this is supposed to be Tinkerbell or whoever. As long as she has the iconic blonde bun and resembles the character she's playing....but I'm sure she won't and that's fine, they can do what they want, no one's forcing me to watch.
For me, if you're going to do it, you have to do it across the board. If an actor is just an actor then it goes EVERY way, not just one way because when it's one sided, there's an agenda. If we're truly talking equality then equal it must be. I'd be much more likely to be on board if it were a real gesture and not just pandering. Timing is everything here.
Thank you My words but probably better stated. Pandering it is. For record I find it offensive to assume somebody is racist by when they say “I am not racist” in this environment today if you sneeze wrong people accuse you of everything so one has to be offensive. I will say it again I am not racist. I personally find the choice off. Doesn’t fit the character and image Disney has Pounded in our heads. And come on guys isn’t it a bit odd how Disney takes the last two live action films which have iconic character imagery and completely change the look?

and as you mentioned it’s the timing. That is what my friend also was saying. She lives in Chicago and her street in river north was rioted. As a black person she is torn in two worlds right now. She laughed sarcastically too in our discussion “ at least Disney’s got our backs”

Not happy. for me Tinker will always be the white, blond bombshell that inspired Walt.
But walt made up the image of Tinkerbell from whole cloth and astute marketing. Tink was never described as a pin-up girl by Barrie.
but once disney starts changing the classics I get upset. In this sense I am a traditionlist..
Should we also then rewrite all classics to be more encompansing?
Disney rewrote the classics when he created his movies. A tradition that has stuck with his studios for good reason, to package these classic stories for a particular audience.

eah, Tink is the worst. She just flat-out tries to murder Wendy a few times. Jealous much?
I don't know. How long had she followed Peter throughout Neverland? Years? Centuries? Then Wendy comes along and she's forgotten. In the book, Wendy returns to find Tink long dead and unremembered by Peter.

But walt made up the image of Tinkerbell from whole cloth and astute marketing. Tink was never described as a pin-up girl by Barrie.

She was a cute little hot blonde with a nice figure, beautiful legs kind of pinupy in a way. I think this girl would look beautiful with blonde hair as Tinkerbelle. I dont think they made Ariel red haired in the live tv production dont get why.

Thank you My words but probably better stated. Pandering it is. For record I find it offensive to assume somebody is racist by when they say “I am not racist” in this environment today if you sneeze wrong people accuse you of everything so one has to be offensive. I will say it again I am not racist. I personally find the choice off. Doesn’t fit the character and image Disney has Pounded in our heads. And come on guys isn’t it a bit odd how Disney takes the last two live action films which have iconic character imagery and completely change the look?

They also had a live version of Cinderella yrs back some here may be too young in late 90s Brandy as Cinderella.

I’ll say it again, there seems to be a lot of dramatics over fictional characters! “Really upset”, “meltdown”. Come on!

And again, nobody is making you watch them. So stick to the originals that make you happy and don’t worry about the new ones. Some of us embrace the change and are happy to see it. And on this one, Disney absolutely picked the correct actress to play this part.

And as somebody else mentioned previously, Hamilton managed to it with non-fictional characters and it was AMAZING!!!

None of this is pandering or a sign of the current climate. It is change that is natural and should have been happening all along.

I’ll say it again, there seems to be a lot of dramatics over fictional characters! “Really upset”, “meltdown”. Come on!

And again, nobody is making you watch them. So stick to the originals that make you happy and don’t worry about the new ones. Some of us embrace the change and are happy to see it. And on this one, Disney absolutely picked the correct actress to play this part.

And as somebody else mentioned previously, Hamilton managed to it with non-fictional characters and it was AMAZING!!!

None of this is pandering or a sign of the current climate. It is change that is natural and should have been happening all along.

Tired of the feel good self deprecation. And it is pandering. Let's be inclusive, make more beautiful characters with POC, I want change but every single character has to change?, every single solitary live tv performance? All three I know of were except for Beauty and the Beast. I don't mind the actress just make something similar like the original character like the blonde hair color. Maybe they will. Why is that so bad. The actress is beautiful, as was the one that played Ariel but Ariel was known for her long red hair. Couldn't they give her red hair? And you say it isn't pandering? We have to apologize for everything now. I fight for people's rights like I am sticking up for BLM in this site right now in another thread. You say it is just a fictional character, then make it look something like the character Ariel or TInkerbelle. What if we had a live performance of Mickey Mouse and made him purple with green polka dots lol.

Last edited:
Yeah, sometimes they turn out like you envisioned and sometimes they don't. People have always had issues with characters appearance. Remember when everyone flipped out over the guy cast for 50 Shades? Chicks were livid that he wasn't a red head. It's always been a thing. Harry Potter had green eyes, Daniel Radcliff had blue, people griped. It is what it is.

.....wut.

o_O

I don't know. How long had she followed Peter throughout Neverland? Years? Centuries? Then Wendy comes along and she's forgotten. In the book, Wendy returns to find Tink long dead and unremembered by Peter.

i mean...the real villain of the story is Peter.

He's an emotionally unavailable manipulator who thinks the only thing girls can do is sew and tell stories, and elicits unrequited love wherever he goes, The Mermaids, Water Lily, Wendy, Tink.

Tired of the feel good self deprecation. And it is pandering. Let's be inclusive, make more beautiful characters with POC, I want change but every single character has to change?, every single solitary live tv performance? All three I know of were except for Beauty and the Beast. I don't mind the actress just make something similar like the original character like the blonde hair color. Maybe they will. Why is that so bad. The actress is beautiful, as was the one that played Ariel but Ariel was known for her long red hair. Couldn't they give her red hair? And you say it isn't pandering? We have to apologize for everything now. I fight for people's rights like I am sticking up for BLM in this site right now in another thread. You say it is just a fictional character, then make it look something like the character Ariel or TInkerbelle. What if we had a live performance of Mickey Mouse and made him purple with green polka dots lol.
Because change is ok!!!

Nobody is asking you to apologize for anything. Just realize they haven’t actually taken anything from you. But it’s good - you don’t want to see the movie this way and that’s ok. I’m excited by it and that’s ok.

But no, I don’t think it’s pandering.

When Disneyland replaced their Aladdin stage show with a Frozen one, some of the lead Frozen characters were clearly in no way, shape, or fashion of Caucasian descent. Call it artistic license if you want, but there weren’t exactly hardly any individuals in Norway of African descent. Or Asian descent (unless we’re talking about peoples like the Laplanders who live in northern Scandinavia). After seeing it 3 times on different trips, I was like, “Bleh. I’m done with this.”

By comparison, think about it if West Side Story’s lead female character was played by someone who couldn’t even hope to pass for a Latina....would one be defending it if that character was played by someone who was about as blond and white as Elsa?

Because change is ok!!!

Nobody is asking you to apologize for anything. Just realize they haven’t actually taken anything from you. But it’s good - you don’t want to see the movie this way and that’s ok. I’m excited by it and that’s ok.

But no, I don’t think it’s pandering.
I never said I wouldn't watch it was just hoping for blonde hair. It's all good whatever.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter