Wow the crowds...

HydroGuy

A Pirate's Life For Me
As some of you who read this forum know, a number of us got caught in Disney's last minute change of AP Blockouts.

Today should have been quieter crowds. But it wasn't. I have never seen anything like it but then I have never been between Christmas and New Years.

We had to skip two rides for which we had active FP's because the FP return lines were so long. The Soarin line came out to smokejumpers. At about 11:40am. We had to get to DL so we gave up. The FP return at Indy went all the way to the treehouse. Never seen it that long. The Space Mtn and HM FP lines were normal. Then we swing by GRR on the way back to our room at GCH. First I have never seen a GRR FP lone of ANY length. This one went all the past Rushin River store to the bridge. Almost to the Redwood Creek challenge. We detoured from DL Into DCA for this so not only did it we not get to ride it, it wasted our time as we walked extra to her there.

One saving grace is the weather which has been really nice.

A lot of times, the FP lines seem long because people aren't ready when they reach the scanner - they don't have their tickets (or phones) out, so there is a delay as they pull out their wallet and find the tickets. Then they block all the scanners as they attempt to scan the tickets for each person in their group (instead of each person scanning their own ticket). And on rides with a second scanner, it happens again since people don't keep their tickets out.

That said, my son and I were going to pop over for a few hours today, but decided not to due to the AP blackouts being lifted. Seeing this makes me glad we stayed home today.

They are blocked tomorrow though, right? Curious because my B and SIL are supposed to be going tomorrow...

Don't be discouraged by long FP return lines! They rarely take more than a few minutes; it's usually a group with some sort of scanning issue holding up the line. This is VERY frequent since digital FP returns started, but I don't think you've necessarily been there enough days to have a good sampling. For instance, we routinely encounter Space Mountain returns all the way at the bottom of the hill but are often on the ride itself in under 10 minutes. We've waited in GRR and Soarin' FP returns with multiple switchbacks and still been through in moments.

When the FP side does truly back up inside, they take FPs at a much higher rate than normal.

Having said that, I'm sorry about the crowds and do suspect it will be much better tomorrow when the Select people can't get in any more. The remaining SoCal holders will probably wait until the Pier is open to visit.

Both the Soarin and Grizzly fastpass lines can back up quite substantially sometimes, especially if there have been/are mechanical difficulties. We visited last August before the AP blockouts lifted, so regular summer days, and experienced lines for each of those rides exactly as you described. For Soarin, the fastpass return line did indeed stretch back just beyond Smokejumpers. The reason at that time was that only one simulator was working. In the case of Grizzly, the ride was just reopening, it was a very hot mid-afternoon, and lots of people jumped right into the fastpass line the moment they were allowed to queue.

I also agree with the pps that fastpass lines can look crazy backed up sometimes these days for any and all rides due to guests not always being very efficient with the process.

Finally, not saying you are not experiencing big crowds. I think crowded is just a normal day at Disney these days. Due to school schedules, we have been restricted to holidays and summers for many years. I get exhausted by the crowds but put up with it because the more I read these forums and other sites, the less not-crowded other days seem to be and at least when I'm going I'm usually getting to experiences maximum hours and entertainment offerings.

Really? I just came back from DL a few minutes ago -- I left at around 1:20. If anything, I would have said crowds were lighter than I expected. They weren't bad at all. Often in the afternoon, the FP return line for Buzz stretches nearly to the churros cart. Never once was it longer than about two minutes today. Maybe we were in different parts of the park? I tend to avoid Fantasyland after my 8:00 - 8:25 visit. I get to PP right at rope drop, hit Mr. Toad and perhaps Alice/Dumbo/Snow White and then head over to TL. If that's where you were, you have my deepest sympathies ;-).

We made yearly trips to the parks up until a a couple of years ago when the crowds were so bad. We're finally going again in in a time period that is predicted to be lighter in attendance but if the crowds are like the OP describes, it will be many years before we go back.

Yep. We are back at our hotel for the afternoon. Today has been another madhouse. We come from a town of 5000 people, so we are just not used to do many people. Again, the majority of the passes I have seen scanned have been APs (I have been stuck in some pretty wicked lines to get a DAS return time and it seems they are mostly used by AP holders), so I am hoping maybe the selects being blocked out after today may help a bit..?

However, we had a great morning! We got a lot done and really enjoyed what we did. It seemed like the crowds took a bit longer to build up compared to yesterday. Although, it could just be that we zigged while everyone else zagged.

My favorite part of the day so far is when I took my 4 year old on Monster's Inc. Roz said, "Hey, young man in the front row. Did you turn in your paperwork?". He looked a bit panicked and said," I didn't! " LOL! But as we unloaded, he smiled and said it was the best ride in the world. :)

We came back to eat Marri's pizza (so yummy!), escape the crazy crowds, and will hopefully head back for a couple more hours in the early evening. Then my older boys and I will stay to use our collected FPs. From 8pm on we have one multiple experience DL, 1 Space, 1 RSR, 1 Guardians. Hopefully I can collect a few more. Should be a fun night!

Really? I just came back from DL a few minutes ago -- I left at around 1:20. If anything, I would have said crowds were lighter than I expected. They weren't bad at all. Often in the afternoon, the FP return line for Buzz stretches nearly to the churros cart. Never once was it longer than about two minutes today. Maybe we were in different parts of the park? I tend to avoid Fantasyland after my 8:00 - 8:25 visit. I get to PP right at rope drop, hit Mr. Toad and perhaps Alice/Dumbo/Snow White and then head over to TL. If that's where you were, you have my deepest sympathies ;-).
We basically did 3 rides from noon until 1:30. Space, Indy and HM. The POTC queue was about as long as I have ever seen it all way back to cafe orleans. Still have not got on POTC my fave. Main Street and the hub were crowded but I would say typical for a middle of the summer day. Not a June day though, but end of July mid-summer.

I have only used MP on three trips and have never seen the backup at FP return. I can say every GRR FP I have ever used since 2005 has been essentially a walk-on. At most a 2 minutes wait. This is riding GRR FP probably 50 times. Never seen anything remotely like today. I know that that happens when a ride has been down and lots of other earlier FP folks come back too. But I do not think that was it based on the multiple times I saw the backup today.

My older boys said the line for POTC at 11/12ish was CRAZY long. They said it was wrapped up and down back up to "the food place" (they must have been talking about Cafe Orleans).

We went at opening and it was barely more than a walk-on. Maybe try that tomorrow, Hydroguy? Good luck!

We had to wait about 15 or 20 minutes for GRR at like 8 or 9 last night. We have never had that happen either. Usually by that late, it is a walk-on because the temps are dropping.

Since they've started MaxPass, FP lines have been horribly long. For instance, in the past at Splash Mt, a FP usually got you to the last bend of the line. At it's longest, it might be backed up to where you can look down on the logs. Now, it's regularly backed up to the walkway where you can see the train and Winnie the Pooh. Several other rides (Guardians, RSR, Indy, Star Tours, Big Thunder) are now the same way. Used to, a FastPass meant fast. Now it just means faster.

My older boys said the line for POTC at 11/12ish was CRAZY long. They said it was wrapped up and down back up to "the food place" (they must have been talking about Cafe Orleans).

Yes, I know what you mean. I experienced that myself the weekend Pirates opened. The line was as long as the one you describe. However, I timed it on my phone and even though the posted wait time was 45 minutes, I stepped into my boat in just 27 minutes. Yes, the lines look long but they're often not as bad as they seem. At least in my experience. Best of luck, everyone!

We experienced the Indy FP line backed up onto the bridge over POTC the Saturday before Mother's Day. I would not say the park was super busy overall but think this is due more to MP rollout. I do agree that it is related to people's inability to understand scanning their ticket/AP. They're not ready, don't realize there's 2 scanners (but instead everyone in some huge group uses one scanner and unknowingly blocks the other scanner from everyone else) or they generally don't understand the whole process- they have a later return time or they don't have a FP at all. I feel like this is a lot more common than I used to see with paper FP. I think people see other guests just scanning tickets and think that's all they have to do.

If you get a chance, the grr line right before the parade goes to nothing. It’s super run riding it when it’s dark too!

DGD3 is having a blast and thankfully got a long 2+ hour nap today. So she is happier now and ready to see the frozen show at a DCA. :)
Frozen will put a smile on her face and that's really what it's all about! Oh, and getting to ride POTC, of course, lol!! Hang in there!

We experienced the Indy FP line backed up onto the bridge over POTC the Saturday before Mother's Day. I would not say the park was super busy overall but think this is due more to MP rollout. I do agree that it is related to people's inability to understand scanning their ticket/AP. They're not ready, don't realize there's 2 scanners (but instead everyone in some huge group uses one scanner and unknowingly blocks the other scanner from everyone else) or they generally don't understand the whole process- they have a later return time or they don't have a FP at all. I feel like this is a lot more common than I used to see with paper FP. I think people see other guests just scanning tickets and think that's all they have to do.

I really think DL needs magic band. (Not FP+) It’s so easy, and would be adopted by the hordes of passholders. Frankly, I’m surprised disney is passing up the revenue all of the magic band sales would bring. (Announce a blank black magic band as passholder exclusive and you’ll have hours-long lines of people buying multiples).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter