Would you buy an iPhone...

I didn't mean to imply that Apple products break frequently-I guess I worded my post poorly. What I meant was you have to upgrade frequently, especially the phones.
FWIW, my iPhone 6S+ lasted 7 years, my Apple Watch 2 lasted 6 years (and would still be working today if I hadn't accidentally washed it last month!) and I'm still using the MacBook Pro I purchased in 2012. The longevity of Apple products is one of the things I like best about them.

We've never had any Apple product fail on us in over twenty years. We usually upgrade and sell our older (but still working) devices on Ebay or resell back to Apple for convenience sake. We've given some to our parents. My FIL is currently using an iMac from 2014 and one of our old MacBook Airs from 2017 that we gave him....no issues with either. The only items that eventually give up are the AirPods after a couple of years.
I cant tell you how many people come by my office fumbling around with their Android, complaining about this or can't find that. All that frustration -just because they hate Apple 🤷‍♂️

You aren't forced into upgrading ...especially if you have no interest in the new features. But in general it's important to keep up with any security upgrade
I suppose. I guess I'm thinking of the people who camp out for the newest iPhone and stand in long lines. I will say I had an iPod Nano that lasted years and years.

I cant tell you how many people come by my office fumbling around with their Android, complaining about this or can't find that. All that frustration -just because they hate Apple 🤷‍♂️
Maybe you work with some tech challenged folks.
I don't hate apple. I am picky about keeping my screen crack and damage free which is reason one I prefer android. And reason two is I think most of their products are way overpriced.

I find Androids very intuitive. Conversely, when handed an iPhone I can't figure out how to do anything. How do they not have a back button?

I find Androids very intuitive. Conversely, when handed an iPhone I can't figure out how to do anything. How do they not have a back button?
For sure ...like I find Apple very intuitive. Put an Android in my hands and I would think it isn't. Why have a back button when you can just swipe...

I know, right? I just can't understand the love for iPhones and Apple products. They have this reputation for being simple to use, but to me they are tons more complicated becuase they eschew extra buttons, etc. It's all so counter-intuitive, and it's because they say so.

I have Apple everything. The spaceship is about a mile from my house - I worked on the property when it was owned by HP. My job uses Apple so it's easier to have everything linked together - iPhone MacBookPro, iPad, etc. My husband has a Pixel and I hate that phone. I can never figure anything out and he hates my iPhone for the same reason. It all depends on what you are used to using.

I know, right? I just can't understand the love for iPhones and Apple products. They have this reputation for being simple to use, but to me they are tons more complicated becuase they eschew extra buttons, etc. It's all so counter-intuitive, and it's because they say so.
Why walk on flat ground, when you can climb mountains..... 😉

Why walk on flat ground, when you can climb mountains..... 😉

Yeah, but your swiping example - that doesn't even work on all apps all the time. Android ALWAYS has a back button at the bottom, in the same place for all applications. I don't want to have to hold down for three seconds (but not 5 seconds!), slide right, hold it up to my face and turn it upside down to issue a simple command. 🤣 That's climbing a mountain!

Yeah, but your swiping example - that doesn't even work on all apps all the time. Android ALWAYS has a back button at the bottom, in the same place for all applications. I don't want to have to hold down for three seconds (but not 5 seconds!), slide right, hold it up to my face and turn it upside down to issue a simple command. 🤣 That's climbing a mountain!
Maybe I'm missing something ...does Android have some kind of magical screen lock function? It sounds like your overcomplicating the Apple process ..I just opened mine in what was milliseconds. I mean if you Android users are getting the same result in nano-seconds then more power to you ...but I can live with a millisecond 😂

Maybe I'm missing something ...does Android have some kind of magical screen lock function? It sounds like your overcomplicating the Apple process ..I just opened mine in what was milliseconds. I mean if you Android users are getting the same result in nano-seconds then more power to you ...but I can live with a millisecond 😂

It was a JOKE, man. 🙂

The point is that because Apple loves to keep the form-factor streamlined, it sometimes leads to what are in fact more complicated steps. They did the same with Macs and that one-button mouse forever. There's no way that not having right-click was better, and yet they pioneered "press and hold" as if that made sense. Hold down until the icons shake - iPhone all the way! I don't know that they still use that one, and I think they finally relented on a second mouse button too, but it's just such an odd way to think. My mouse at home has SIX buttons - eight if you count the volume shortcuts.

Last edited:
It was a JOKE, man. 🙂

The point is that because Apple loves to keep the form-factor streamlined, it sometimes leads to what are in fact more complicated steps. They did the same with Macs and that one-button mouse forever. There's no way that not having right-click was better, and yet they pioneered "press and hold" as if that made sense. Hold down until the icons shake - iPhone all the way! I don't know that they still use that one, and I think they finally relented on a second mouse button too, but it's just such an odd way to think. My mouse at home has SIX buttons - eight if you count the volume shortcuts.
Shows you how much I know about Android ... 😂 . Six button mouse!?! My fingers would look like something out of a horror film!

Shows you how much I know about Android ... 😂 . Six button mouse!?! My fingers would look like something out of a horror film!

It's a gaming mouse. Three of the buttons are on the side where your thumb would rest. One is the click in the scroll wheel. I can adjust it's sensitivity and even add weights to it. It's not even that fancy of one.

I just find that in an effort to be simple, stuff on iOS is more obtuse. Android always has a Back, Home, and Recent (open apps tabs) at the bottom. They always work the same way no matter what is running. It is quick and intuitive.

We've never had any Apple product fail on us in over twenty years. We usually upgrade and sell our older (but still working) devices on Ebay or resell back to Apple for convenience sake. We've given some to our parents. My FIL is currently using an iMac from 2014 and one of our old MacBook Airs from 2017 that we gave him....no issues with either. The only items that eventually give up are the AirPods after a couple of years.
I should warn you I am typing this on a Dell Desktop I bought in April 2007. I am a victim of Planned Obsolescence. Hardware works fine, but the software I use in many cases is no longer supported. And updated software is not compatible with my hardware. So I will have to spend about $1,000 to replace it and the new computer won't do anything faster or better, but it will run software that is still supported.

Neither type of OS is significantly better than the other. They do operate a little different, and whichever one you would change TO will take some getting used to.

Heck, if you change from driving a Toyota to a Chevy, you have to learn different ways to get to things (button arrangement, menu arrangement, etc). But they both do the main job (drive), just like both phones accomplish the same things.

I should warn you I am typing this on a Dell Desktop I bought in April 2007. I am a victim of Planned Obsolescence. Hardware works fine, but the software I use in many cases is no longer supported. And updated software is not compatible with my hardware. So I will have to spend about $1,000 to replace it and the new computer won't do anything faster or better, but it will run software that is still supported.
Really, a new computer with more memory and processing capability wont do anything faster or better? And you can get computers for a lot less than $1k.

Heck, if you change from driving a Toyota to a Chevy, you have to learn different ways to get to things (button arrangement, menu arrangement, etc). But they both do the main job (drive), just like both phones accomplish the same things.
You nailed it there. We bought a Camry almost 3 years ago and all the controls on the steering wheel (for radio, cruise control, etc) are on the opposite side of the steering wheel from any other car we have owned. This is our first Toyota.

I’d have to say that’s not the norm from most people I talk to. I’ve been using my daughters MacBook that she used in high school …and she’s 26! The thing runs like a champ. I would have bought 3 PC’s by now….
Well, the line at the Apple store repair counter is always long.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter